PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Community member

05-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I was just watching the local TV news here in Charleston and they were talking about a motorcyclist KIA this morning. Basically they said he was about 25 years old and was trying to negotiate an off ramp on the local interstate and the bike stayed straight and sailed off the ramp. I looked up to see the pieces of what was left of the Bike on the flatbed and all that was recognizable was Can-Am. Apparently a "Mystery Accident" as we say in Law Enforcement. May He Rest in Peace....:(:pray:

docdoru
05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0510/736706.html :pray:

bruceofthebronx
05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Never too old, always too young. Peace to his loved ones.

ArmyJoe
05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
My condolences to the family.

and the bike stayed straight and sailed off the ramp.

:mad:

Firefly
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I was just watching the local TV news here in Charleston and they were talking about a motorcyclist KIA this morning. Basically they said he was about 25 years old and was trying to negotiate an off ramp on the local interstate and the bike stayed straight and sailed off the ramp. I looked up to see the pieces of what was left of the Bike on the flatbed and all that was recognizable was Can-Am. Apparently a "Mystery Accident" as we say in Law Enforcement. May He Rest in Peace....:(:pray:

Not sure how they can speculate that the 'bike stayed straight' without being there to see it.

RIP to this young fellow Spyder Ryder.

SpyderGirl
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
That's too bad. Not to jump to any conclusions though, but I would say that it was very likely that excessive speed played a part in this accident.

MarkLawson
05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Never easy for such a loss. Prayers go up for comfort for the family.

Tom in NM
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
It is easy to forget how dangerous it is out there, how valuable our lives are, and how many people will regret our passing - - - like us here, who never had a chance to even meet Marco.

Tom

kytten
05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
RIP to him and peace be with his family. That's tragic.

txknight67
05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
He will be missed.:(

dltang
05-18-2010, 12:45 AM
So very sad, I pray for comfort for his family and friends. I also wonder if we will ever know the cause.

superfly3
05-18-2010, 12:51 AM
RIP:Spyder Ryder:pray:

groundeffect
05-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Condolences and thoughts to the family.

Way2Fast
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
This accident may or may not have been caused by a mechanical malfunction, but there were many "near misses," where the rider lived to report what happened, that were the result of steering problems. BRP is betting that the cause of any fatal accidents will never be proven and won't come back to haunt them !!

Firefly
05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
This accident may or may not have been caused by a mechanical malfunction, but there were many "near misses," where the rider lived to report what happened, that were the result of steering problems. BRP is betting that the cause of any fatal accidents will never be proven and won't come back to haunt them !!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123610366

"Studies show that the vehicle itself is the sole cause of an accident only about 2 percent of the time. Drivers, on the other hand, are wholly to blame more than half the time and partly to blame more 90 percent of the time."

Sarge707
05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Simply Rest in Peace young man.

1VENOM
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Condolences to his family and prayers for his soul. Farewell :spyder2: rider.

GI Jane
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
The passing of this young man is a tragedy. Prayers for the family. I hope we can find out what happened.

Firefly
05-18-2010, 12:36 PM
That link has absolutely nothing to do with the operation of motorcycles or trikes......

The article IS relevant to Way2Fasts response in trying to point the finger at BRP as that is pure speculation.

The NHTSA studies include ALL vehicles, so the statement is accurate:

"Studies show that the vehicle itself is the sole cause of an accident only about 2 percent of the time. Drivers, on the other hand, are wholly to blame more than half the time and partly to blame more 90 percent of the time."

No one knows (or probably will know) what caused the unfortunate death of this young man, but the numbers are overwhelmingly against mechanical failure.

SpyderGirl
05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I still stand by my thoughts as this most likely being related to alcohol and/or excess speed and probably partially along with fatigue and/or lack of knowledge or experience with handing the Spyder at speed around a turn.

Either way, we'll never know and shouldn't speculate or point fingers. A young man has lost his life, that's the only focus this thread should have.

If you want to complain about DPS, I believe there are other threads for that.

dltang
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I still stand by my thoughts as this most likely being related to alcohol and/or excess speed and probably partially along with fatigue and/or lack of knowledge or experience with handing the Spyder at speed around a turn.

Either way, we'll never know and shouldn't speculate or point fingers. A young man has lost his life, that's the only focus this thread should have.

If you want to complain about DPS, I believe there are other threads for that.

:agree:

Desert Spyder
05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
How in the heck did his body fly up on top of the overpass? Would it be safe to say thats 18-20 ft from the road below? Do you think this could have been a hit & run? RIP fellow ryder.

PS ... I did some more research with the local newspaper and the bike fell off the overpass. And he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Spydeb
05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Thoughts and prayers for him and his family. May all riders keep safe, this was a terrible tragedy!

Skidoodon
05-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
How in the heck did his body fly up on top of the overpass? Would it be safe to say thats 18-20 ft from the road below? Do you think this could have been a hit & run? RIP fellow ryder.

If it happened where I am thinking it did, I have ridden through their before, and it is actually an over and under type situation, with pretty tight curves and 25 mph warning signs for the big rigs. It would be very possible for him to lose control on the overpass and have the Spyder end up underneath it.

This is a tragic event and my condolences also go out to this young man's family.

I also agree that this is not the thread to begin another DPS debate in.

jsmiley
05-18-2010, 10:31 PM
i guess we will have to wait and see if it happens a few more times, then just maybe, it might be the time to talk about it. Or we can just sit around and bitch about who did or didn't get a 5k mile/Km pin, which is obviously more important and interesting topic around here. Now that is a serious real-world topic to bring to the attention of BRP.

Seriously what is the magic number of reported incidents incidents or mysterious deaths, before it becomes a serious topic? Do we just call them all driver fatigue, alcohol related, or excesive speed. We have to as we have no other choice, cause you dingbats want to sweep it under the rug.

I guess the Toyota owners were just driving too fast and trainded the gas pedals to stick cause they were fatigued and had a cocktail. WTF people!

BTW - why is it always the same forum natzis telling people what to talk about around here?

SpyderGirl
05-18-2010, 10:35 PM
i guess we will have to wait and see if it happens a few more times, then just maybe, it might be the time to talk about it. Or we can just sit around and bitch about who did or didn't get a 5k mile/Km pin, which is obviously more important and interesting topic around here. Now that is a serious real-world topic to bring to the attention of BRP.

Seriously what is the magic number of reported incidents incidents or mysterious deaths, before it becomes a serious topic? Do we just call them all driver fatigue, alcohol related, or excesive speed. We have to as we have no other choice, cause you dingbats want to sweep it under the rug.

I guess the Toyota owners were just driving too fast and trainded the gas pedals to stick cause they were fatigued and had a cocktail. WTF people!

BTW - why is it always the same forum natzis telling people what to talk about around here?

EXCUSE ME?? You can take that attitude elsewhere. This thread is about a person who DIED... not about mechanical failures, finger pointing, etc, etc...

Please help keep the threads clean and on-topic. There are plenty of other places to make these sorts of posts. :doorag:

jsmiley
05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
EXCUSE ME?? You can take that attitude elsewhere. This thread is about a person who DIED... not about mechanical failures, finger pointing, etc, etc...

Please help keep the threads clean and on-topic. There are plenty of other places to make these sorts of posts. :doorag:

Yeah your right, why would we want to even remotely consider a design flaw which has almost killed several members of this site when someone flys off an onramp. That would be completely out of place and uncalled for seeing as someone died under circumstances that could be caused by the same flaw. That was just silly and insensitive of me. I wonder how the family feels about it.... Yes, Im sorry miss, but your son flew off the overpass cause he was most likley drinking, driving to fast or was just tired. It is not at all possible his equipment failed...

Further, why would we want to hear the voices of all members when a few can just try to dominate threads and tell others what to talk about and where to talk about it constantly.

Grow up people......

VaughnCat
05-18-2010, 10:56 PM

pitbull
05-18-2010, 10:56 PM

:agree::lecturef_smilie:

RoadHammer
05-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah your right, why would we want to even remotely consider a design flaw which has almost killed several members of this site when someone flys off an onramp. That would be completely out of place and uncalled for seeing as someone died under circumstances that could be caused by the same flaw. That was just silly and insensitive of me. I wonder how the family feels about it.... Yes, Im sorry miss, but your son flew off the overpass cause he was most likley drinking, driving to fast or was just tired. It is not at all possible his equipment failed...

Further, why would we want to hear the voices of all members when a few can just try to dominate threads and tell others what to talk about and where to talk about it constantly.

Grow up people......
I kind of agree with you smiley about equipment part. I wish ther was more info, i find it hard to figure out how it ended up the the way it did.

dont know about the helmet laws where he was,, but best wishes to the family.:pray:

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Grow up people......

It would be nice if you would take the time to get the facts straight before jumping to your own conclusions about mechanical failures when the results of the investigation have not been posted yet. This was a 2010 RS Spyder. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has reported a steering malfunction on a 2010 RS up to this date.

There are way too many factors involved in this for anyone to jump to conclusions about the cause. Another fact is there is nothing straight about the interchange he was ryding on in the first place. So, the statement in the article about the Spyder kept going straight while he was trying to turn is also speculation on the reporters part. The fact the accident occurred at 3:00 in the morning may have also played a part.

However, this is all heresay unless you were a witness to the actual events in question. From what I can tell, there were no witnesses or at least none that have come forward so far.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and you are free to say what you would like; however, I also take great offense at you referring to some members as forum Nazis. Fact is I served in the military in order for you to be able to keep that right, and am the furthest thing from a Nazi you will ever come across. However, there are plenty of threads to talk about a possible mechanical failure or you always have the option of starting another one.

Debating about the many possible causes of the crash without facts on this thread, will serve no purpose except to get the thread closed as it continues to get way out of hand. Personal attacks and flame wars serve no purpose here.

I also find it strange that no where in your "concerned" posting did you offer any condolences of any type. Just what is your intended purpose in this thread?

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I kind of agree with you smiley about equipment part. I wish ther was more info, i find it hard to figure out how it ended up the the way it did.

dont know about the helmet laws where he was,, but best wishes to the family.:pray:

SC is a helmet optional state. Since he was 27 he was of age to make his own decision, as anyone under 21 has to wear a helmet. The reports I have seen so far do not even state whether he was wearing a helmet or not when this happened. :dontknow:

Roadkill
05-18-2010, 11:14 PM
+Or perhaps we can each wheel around on our personally designed rock wheels and when we collide, immediately summon Grog the lawyer.

As a percentage of the vehicular population, these things will be involved in crashes.

As a percentage of the crashers, some of us will either be in over our heads or otherwise impaired before we leave the roadway, especially at 2:25 a.m. on a bad turn.

Those are items I wish we didn't need to discuss but here we are.

Technology shouldn't slow its progress due to this event and an as-yet unearned implication of failure, nor should the brand suffer indignant accusations.

I truly feel for the family, and simply hope it was nothing more than an accident.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Firefly
05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
It would be more appropriate for those interested in debating the possible DPS problems to start a new thread, but frankly this has been rehashed to death. Everyone knows there's a handful out here that are ready to burn BRP at the stake, and those that will defend them.

superfly3
05-18-2010, 11:18 PM
It would be more appropriate for those interested in debating the possible DPS problems to start a new thread, but frankly this has been rehashed to death. Everyone knows there's a handful out here that are ready to burn BRP at the stake, and those that will defend them.

Desert Spyder
05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
SC is a helmet optional state. Since he was 27 he was of age to make his own decision, as anyone under 21 has to wear a helmet. The reports I have seen so far do not even state whether he was wearing a helmet or not when this happened. :dontknow:

He was NOT wearing a helmet. I read this in the Charlotte paper online.

jsmiley
05-18-2010, 11:25 PM
It would be nice if you would take the time to get the facts straight before jumping to your own conclusions about mechanical failures when the results of the investigation have not been posted yet. This was a 2010 RS Spyder. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has reported a steering malfunction on a 2010 RS up to this date.

There are way too many factors involved in this for anyone to jump to conclusions about the cause. Another fact is there is nothing straight about the interchange he was ryding on in the first place. So, the statement in the article about the Spyder kept going straight while he was trying to turn is also speculation on the reporters part. The fact the accident occurred at 3:00 in the morning may have also played a part.

However, this is all heresay unless you were a witness to the actual events in question. From what I can tell, there were no witnesses or at least none that have come forward so far.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and you are free to say what you would like; however, I also take great offense at you referring to some members as forum Nazis. Fact is I served in the military in order for you to be able to keep that right, and am the furthest thing from a Nazi you will ever come across. However, there are plenty of threads to talk about a possible mechanical failure or you always have the option of starting another one.

Debating about the many possible causes of the crash without facts on this thread, will serve no purpose except to get the thread closed as it continues to get way out of hand. Personal attacks and flame wars serve no purpose here.

I also find it strange that no where in your "concerned" posting did you offer any condolences of any type. Just what is your intended purpose in this thread?

Before I even read the post from Way2fast and the subsequent "take it to another thread rhetoric" response, I thought of the DPS issue and said a prayer for the ryder.

Not to be insensitive, but he is gone and there are other ryders alive with steering issues, some which will not realize it until it is too late. This could be a case of that very scenario.

What I am saying in my posts, to boil it down for ya -

- Why do so many automatically jump to ryder fault and simultaneously dismiss the ongoing issues? When as you stated nothing is known yet. I concur, but am not willing to ignore the obvious as others do.

- What gives people the right to tell others that they should not discuss DPS in a thread when somone runs off a road? This just baffles me. We should all take note of this and be cautious.

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 11:26 PM
He was NOT wearing a helmet. I read this in the Charlotte paper online.

Thanks for that added information. I have not found an article yet that states any more details.

Here is another vague one though: http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12491553

Would you happen to have a link to the Charlotte article?

RoadHammer
05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I do think it would be in the best interest of the family to have the remains of the bike in ther possession instead of brp's..

an independent body might be able to determine the state of the bike in the last few moments if the "buds" is still accessible.

Firefly
05-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Before I even read the post from Way2fast and the subsequent "take it to another thread rhetoric" response, I thought of the DPS issue and said a prayer for the ryder.

Not to be insensitive, but he is gone and there are other ryders alive with steering issues, some which will not realize it until it is too late. This could be a case of that very scenario.

- Why do so many automatically jump to ryder fault and simultaneously dismiss the ongoing issues? When as you stated nothing is known yet. I concur, but am not willing to ignore the obvious as others do.

- What gives people the right to tell others that they should not discuss DPS in a thread when somone runs off a road? This just baffles me. We should all take note of this and be cautious.

Big difference between 'being told' and 'requesting' to take something to another thread.

FYI--- my opinions on this matter are based 100% on statistics.... and logic.. which says less than 2% of such accidents are due to mechanical failure. Certainly this unfortunate accident could fall in the 2%, but without facts to back it up-- it's a long-shot from a statistical viewpoint.

Fact of the matter is most accidents are just that-- accidents--- and most are due to operator error.

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 11:36 PM

I understand your points as well. The fact is we need to be cautious all the time whether we have a steering issue or not, as many things could potentially happen to us. We are not in a cage, and the slightest ryder error or mechanical failure could spell disaster at any time. Not too mention the fact we all need to keep an eye on the cagers at the same time.

This just happened in Myrtle Beach (Rider died passenger taken to hospital): http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12478766

Meanwhile, this was a double fatality of two motorcyclists on separate bikes when a SUV rear ended them:
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/may/18/doublefatal/

The car crash fatalities may be decreasing due to all of the safety features they now have to make standard in the cars, but it is definitely not getting any safer for the riders out there. :(

RodO
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
"They're burying the kid that got killed in my plane.

- What happened to him?
- He got killed.

- What?
- I said he got killed.

I'm sorry.

- He was your friend?
- Maybe. I don't know.

- He was very old.
- But he was a boy.

He died.
You don't get any older than that."

"Catch 22", Joseph Heller.

Dudley
05-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Grow up people......

Well, I don't often comment about comments, but I feel like I have to on yours. You seem to accuse others who have expressed that this accident may have been caused by speeding, etc., as covering up for what you think is the steering problem. For one, no one has said the young man was speeding, just stating that the accident may have been caused by going excessively fast. I certainly wasn't there to see it happen, neither was anyone else. And neither can you say for certain that the steering malfunctioned. Several factors could have caused the accident: experience (or lack of), speeding, any momentary distraction that could cause the slightest hesitation in control that could throw the dynamics of the turn, just to mention a few. With over 40 years on street motorcycles with over 400,000 accident-free and ticket-free miles (except one slight fender-bender at about 5 mph) I have heard of many accidents and have known several who have died in motorcycle accidents. No accident is without a cause. People who investigate accidents come to a conclusion as to the cause. Too many times people on forums attempt to influence others by trying to sound like experts on matters that they know nothing of. In any accident where someone dies, the biggest tragedy is the lost of life. No conclusive result as to why can ever bring back the life of a loved one.
And, by the way, I find offensive your use of stand alone letters to refer to vulgarity. Listen to what you told us "Grow up people" and do a little "growing up" yourself.

SpyderGirl
05-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Grow up people......

Well if you are so scared of the Spyder's flaws, then why do you still have yours?

WaltH
05-19-2010, 02:00 AM
When a fellow rider is killed on his motorcycle my heart feels heavy with sadness and loss because we all share a bond born of the love and joy of riding tempered by the danger and risk inherent in the sport. We all understand that none of us are ever very far from catastrophe ourselves.

I have made mistakes while riding my motorcycles which could easily have been fatal. I also have experienced circumstances not of my doing which could have been fatal. Either way the result would be the same. I don’t know what happened to my brother rider on that overpass, early one morning, but I do know that it could have been me.

I offer my most sincere condolences to the family and friends of my brother. I am deeply sorry for their loss.

spyryder
05-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks for that added information. I have not found an article yet that states any more details.

Here is another vague one though: http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12491553

Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a helmet, here's the link:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/may/18/18briefly/

SpyderWolf
05-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a helmet, here's the link:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/may/18/18briefly/

Thanks for posting this link as well. Not sure the helmet would have helped, but you never know. :(

Roger
05-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Ok ok everybody calm down no name calling lets all just take a wait and see attitude. I'am sure we will learn more in a few days. We all have a vested interest in this so we will wait and see. Think about the loss of life here. :pray::pray::pray:

Lamonster
05-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Please show some respect for this young mans friends and family. None of us know any facts as to why this young man died such a tragic death. I did some digging and all I could find was he was a well loved and ambitious young man who ran a delivery business delivery food for high class restaurants. As of right now this business is shut down until further notice.
http://www.charlestondelivers.com

http://www.charlestondelivers.com/images/rotator/how-it-works/how-it-works.jpg

Desert Spyder
05-19-2010, 06:15 AM

I did a search at the following link:

http://www.postandcourier.com/search/?q=+Can+Am+Spyder&operator=search

There are 2 stories about the same accident, one stating he was not wearing a helmet. Pay close attention to the comments from readers at the bottom of the page in both articles.

Anyone can drive a Spyder. Hell, even amputees can drive this and have fun. PTL.

But not everyone can be a Ryder. Selah.

Firefly
05-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Please show some respect for this young mans friends and family. None of us know any facts as to why this young man died such a tragic death. I did some digging and all I could find was he was a well loved and ambitious young man who ran a delivery business delivery food for high class restaurants. As of right now this business is shut down until further notice.
http://www.charlestondelivers.com

http://www.charlestondelivers.com/images/rotator/how-it-works/how-it-works.jpg

Glad we're able to put a face on this young man we've been discussing.

How very sad indeed, seems like a happy, enterprising young man in the prime of his life.

Rest in peace.

Good reminder to us all that we are not infallible --- even on 3 wheels.

Way2Fast
05-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Grow up people......

I agree with jsmiley.....No one here is saying that it was a design flaw that caused this death. As was discussed, it could have been any one of many things that resulted in the accident. But all avenues should be investigated. If it were not for the grace of God my wife and I would have been killed while riding our Spyder due to a mechanical (computer?) malfunction. The steering issues must not be ruled out. As far as those percentages given in reference to what causes accidents.....they are not accurate because many times it is easier to prove that driver error was responsible than it is to put blame on mechanical malfunctions. In many cases it is possible that a combination of the two caused the accident.

Firefly
05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with jsmiley.....No one here is saying that it was a design flaw that caused this death. As was discussed, it could have been any one of many things that resulted in the accident. But all avenues should be investigated. If it were not for the grace of God my wife and I would have been killed while riding our Spyder due to a mechanical (computer?) malfunction. The steering issues must not be ruled out. As far as those percentages given in reference to what causes accidents.....they are not accurate because many times it is easier to prove that driver error was responsible than it is to put blame on mechanical malfunctions. In many cases it is possible that a combination of the two caused the accident.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence