PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Fuel Gauge

Tenfour57
05-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin or something I can use to convince my dealer that the bouncing gas gauge is NOT normal. They are telling me that they ALL do it... I explained that it only started when I filled it up for it's second tank full.

I have read on here that there is a warranty fix to repair it... can someone please point me to the information so I can tell the dealer?

(It is in the shop to repair the clutch issue and since those parts are on backorder, it is going to be there another 1-2 weeks...:yikes:)

Thanks!

frank3
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Tell (insist) your Dealer to call brp. brp is well aware of the problem and it's wide spread. Mine was replaced during the 600 mile service (2 months ago) and has worked well. The first RTs had a fuel gauge that lacked some key part (probaly a diode) and that caused the gauge to bounce as the fuel tank levels changed during movement. The diode dampens the signal from the sending unit in the tank giving you an even reading. Good Luck.

glynnk
05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Had the same problem. Dealer indicated that BRP was aware of the problem and replaced my original bouncy one with a new one that's straight on. Your dealer should be aware of BRP's position on replacement.

Glynnk

Tenfour57
05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Thank you so much for that info!

I just called the dealer and read your threads to him and he said "wow, I didn't know that" and said he would call BRP back. Well, it is Monday, and tech support is closed, so we will see what they tell him tomorrow.

You would think that BRP would keep their tech support open and running on Mondays when they know that there are widespread issues on their machines that need warranty repair, if they are not going to recall them!

I want my Big Blue back!!

jmcbow
05-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Not all owners have experienced the "bouncing gage" problem. If your dealer tries to tell you that they all do it, he's blowing smoke. :lecturef_smilie: I've had my RT for about 6 weeks now, and have 750 miles on it, no gage problems at all.

KNIGHTRIDER
05-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Or you can just disconnect it and a digital gauge will appear. Use that space for a voltage meter or oil pressure gauge.

Questions
05-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Or you can just disconnect it and a digital gauge will appear. Use that space for a voltage meter or oil pressure gauge.

hi,
could you explain a bit more please...

tea6638
05-18-2010, 05:05 PM
As I understand it, both the Analog Fuel and Water Temp Gauges must be disconnected in order for them to appear Digitally. You can't just disconnect one. Again, that's how I understand it. Remember, the Base Model RT doesn't have analog gauges.

Read Previous Post from spyder_RT from 03/22/2010.

well I did it today tried to disconnect just the temp gauge it would not work you have to do both or none that is just weird :dontknow:

DeeKay53
05-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I have replaced mine with a Volt Meter and a Clock. I found the digital clock to hard to read. They both look great. I used the exsisting wires, power and earth to power the volt meter (not the fuel sensor wire) and the power wire for the gauge ligth and all works well. Same for the clock, just ran a wire back to the battery for constant power.

NorthStar
05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Replaced my Fuel gauge with a Voltage gauge and the Engine Temperature gauge with an Oil Pressure Gauge. Both units are Teleflex Morse Signature Series gauges with a chrome bezels and brushed aluminum face plates.
I like the digital displays for the fuel and engine temperature much better on the display screen.

For those with sharp eyes, please excuse the picture of the OPG on the right. I hadn't hooked up the sending unit to the OPG when this picture was taken so that is why it isn't registering with the engine running.:opps:

Tenfour57
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Just spoke to the dealer again and they ARE replacing the fuel gauge... BUT, the parts are on back-order!!! They have no date for when they will be in stock.:D

Between that and the clutch repair (parts backordered as well), maybe I will have my Spyder back by 4th of July!!

cdragut
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Replaced my Fuel gauge with a Voltage gauge and the Engine Temperature gauge with an Oil Pressure Gauge. Both units are Teleflex Morse Signature Series gauges with a chrome bezels and brushed aluminum face plates.
I like the digital displays for the fuel and engine temperature much better on the display screen.

For those with sharp eyes, please excuse the picture of the OPG on the right. I hadn't hooked up the sending unit to the OPG when this picture was taken so that is why it isn't registering with the engine running.:opps:

hi, where did you buy them from?
thanks,

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Just spoke to the dealer again and they ARE replacing the fuel gauge... BUT, the parts are on back-order!!! They have no date for when they will be in stock.:D

Between that and the clutch repair (parts backordered as well), maybe I will have my Spyder back by 4th of July!!
Got mine back today with the replacement fuel gauge. It is very stable, with no rapid swings...just slow movement as the gas sloshes around in the tank, sometimes. I think you will be pleased. No idea if the accuracy has improved, as yet.

ataDude
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Got mine back today with the replacement fuel gauge. It is very stable, with no rapid swings...just slow movement as the gas sloshes around in the tank, sometimes. I think you will be pleased. No idea if the accuracy has improved, as yet.

How's the handling and what did they do to fix it?

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 09:20 PM
How's the handling and what did they do to fix it?

Handling is super! I know some of what was done (alignment) but have not had time to read the full five page report yet.

NorthStar
05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Bought mine from a local Marine Store. They ordered them for me from a Teleflex Morse distributor. Mine are the Signature Series. Here is a link to the Teleflex site if you are looking for part numbers. The oil pressure unit will also require a sending unit rated for 80 psi and brass 1/8 female long nipple and 1/8 male Tee fittings to hook into the oil pressure switch housing.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1053.pdf

if you have any questions just send me a PM

BHawksworth
05-24-2010, 08:31 PM
My dealer told me that he talked to BRP and the replacement is a new tank with a dampener, not a new gauge. Need to ask Carlo about that one, I guess.

NancysToy
05-24-2010, 09:16 PM
My dealer told me that he talked to BRP and the replacement is a new tank with a dampener, not a new gauge. Need to ask Carlo about that one, I guess.
I don't know, the new gauge seems to have cured mine.

SocalT
06-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I had read about all the bouncing gauges, and thought I got lucky...Nope after my fourth fillup it bounces and sways all over. Curious as to why it waited on four tanks to appear:dontknow:.
Cheers Tony

Tenfour57
06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
My dealer FINALLY got all the parts in. Evidently it isn't just a new gauge and it is a major "take apart" kind of repair. With that, and the new clutch parts being replaced, I should have my spyder back early next week!

It has been SIX weeks in the shop and I have only owned it for SEVEN weeks. Less than 100 miles, too. :yikes:

vt228
06-05-2010, 06:26 PM

My dealer took on off the show room one and put it in for me

manoman14
06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
My gas gauge was rock solid until 850 miles. Found out what everyone was saying about the gauge bouncing all over the place. Told the dealer, who then contacted BRP about it. They said that the first 500 bikes had the defective gauge and that since mine is #793 I didn't have a problem. :hun: Had to call BRP myself, and they then agreed that I had the problem. Contacted the dealer again, who said I would have to leave the bike there for several days for them to diagnose the problem. I said no thanks. A volt meter now resides in place of the gas gauge and an oil pressure gauge in place of the temp gauge. I liked the gauges, but I am just as happy with this set-up.

BHawksworth
06-06-2010, 04:34 PM
The dealer told me that BRP told him that a gas gauge to fix the problem is not available - that that it will be fixed when the revised gas tank is released.

I don't know, the new gauge seems to have cured mine.

NancysToy
06-06-2010, 07:35 PM
The dealer told me that BRP told him that a gas gauge to fix the problem is not available - that that it will be fixed when the revised gas tank is released.
The new, revised gauge was a sure cure for mine. I suspect some problems are different. A bad gauge should be bad from the beginning. You can still see mine bounce slowly, due to the lack of baffling in the tank, but it is well dampened, so it moves ever so slowly, like most autos. It is also far more accurate.

BumbleBee
06-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I too got tired of the bouncing Fuel Gauge, and never could tell how much gas I had left. :gaah:

Replaced mine with a Volt Meter Gauge and Oil Presure Gauge
(all black) :2thumbs:

Tenfour57
06-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Well, the new fuel gauge parts that I waited seven weeks for...

DID NOT fix the problem!

They installed a new fuel pump with sending unit and it didn't work...still bouncing all over. Dealer told me yesterday that they noticed it was bouncing on the test ride. They spent over 4 hours doing the replacement, too.

Now what?

I wonder if I can get them to take out the fuel gauge and put in a 12v in that space? Do I have to take out the temp gauge as well, in order to get the digital fuel display?

dave01
06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Do I have to take out the temp gauge as well, in order to get the digital fuel display?

Both guages need to be disconnected for the digital ones to work.
I disconnected mine while at Spyderfest and installed these in thier place

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=535&pictureid=10302

NancysToy
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, the new fuel gauge parts that I waited seven weeks for...

DID NOT fix the problem!

They installed a new fuel pump with sending unit and it didn't work...still bouncing all over. Dealer told me yesterday that they noticed it was bouncing on the test ride. They spent over 4 hours doing the replacement, too.

Now what?

I wonder if I can get them to take out the fuel gauge and put in a 12v in that space? Do I have to take out the temp gauge as well, in order to get the digital fuel display?
I'm not really following you well, so please bear with me. Did they replace your gauge, sending unit, or both? If they did not replace the gauge, I suspect this is where the problem lies. They put the new design gauge it mine and it settled right down. Smooth as glass, moves only about 1/8 scale, at most, and very slowly when it does vary, like when you stop hard. It is nicely dampened! It is more accurate now, too, not burying the gauge before the fuel light comes on. If they replaced both, I suspect a wiring issue. A loose connector, or a loose connection to the terminal within a connector, could cause this. Nothing wrong with the digital gauges, especially if you want additional auxiliary gauges, but I wouldn't give up just yet. This situation is solvable. Your dealer needs to stick with it. Mine cured it...with a little prodding and advice from BRP.

CSX4350
06-18-2010, 01:02 AM
I keep hearing about the replacement sending unit, but this makes no sense to me.

If it was the sending unit, disconnecting the analog gauge to get the digital gauge shouldn't help any. The digital gauge should bounce around just like the analog gauge, if it was the sending unit. But everyone, including me, who has disconnected their analog gauges sees that the digital gauges are rock solid. That to me points to the gauge, NOT the sending unit.

I kind of like the analog gauges, I got way lower on fuel than I normally would let myself get yesterday because I didn't pay enough attention to the little digital fuel gauge.

Tenfour57
06-18-2010, 06:20 AM
It says on the Repair Order that they replaced the fuel pump/sending unit. There is no mention of replacing the gauge itself.

Scotty, do you know who at BRP my dealer can contact? Obviously the person they talked with didn't know that just a new fuel gauge would fix it. Cost BRP lots of $$ in parts and labor...

NancysToy
06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
It says on the Repair Order that they replaced the fuel pump/sending unit. There is no mention of replacing the gauge itself.

Scotty, do you know who at BRP my dealer can contact? Obviously the person they talked with didn't know that just a new fuel gauge would fix it. Cost BRP lots of $$ in parts and labor...
Carlo actually contacted my dealer after I posted here about my fuel gauge, told them about the revised part, and asked them to replace the gauge. I suspect your dealer asked BRP to authorize a new sending unit, not the new design gauge. If that is the case, have them try again. If BRP told them it was the sending unit, I would contact BRP Customer Support (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10017) (Carlo) before I took it back in.

canam9
07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
The controversy goes on.

Spoke with my service advisor
today when I put my RT in for service.

And was told that BRP has no fix for the
notorious bouncing fuel gauge.

I like the disconnect plan as a last fix,
but I would like it to work as it came.
:ani29:

NancysToy
07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
The controversy goes on.

Spoke with my service advisor
today when I put my RT in for service.

And was told that BRP has no fix for the
notorious bouncing fuel gauge.

I like the disconnect plan as a last fix,
but I would like it to work as it came.
:ani29:
This seems very odd. My gauge was bouncing about 1/4 to 1/2 the scale constantly. It was replaced under instructions from Carlo. The new gauge works perfectly! It was my understanding that this was a revised gauge, but I have no parts number or verification. I would be more inclined to believe Carlo or Kurt if they told me that there was no cure. I haven't much respect for most service managers.

SocalT
07-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Just a new gauge and all appears well

ThreeWheels
07-18-2010, 06:11 AM
YES, I had the bouncing fuel gage replaced back in March after I owned my RT for just a few weeks. I've had no trouble since then after 7000 miles. Replacing the sending unit sounds like a red herring. For instance, if the sending unit was bad, using the digital gages wouldn't be of any help.
Replacing the gage is a fairly quick repair.
I'm not sure why this is still a controversy, except it seems BRP's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing.
This is unfortunate, but it wouldn't be the first time.......................

canam9
07-18-2010, 12:30 PM
This seems very odd. My gauge was bouncing about 1/4 to 1/2 the scale constantly. It was replaced under instructions from Carlo. The new gauge works perfectly! It was my understanding that this was a revised gauge, but I have no parts number or verification. I would be more inclined to believe Carlo or Kurt if they told me that there was no cure. I haven't much respect for most service managers.

I have an email into Carlo, and wanting to see.:spyder::ani29:

Tenfour57
07-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi all,
I wrote BRP an email over a month ago and they contacted my dealer directly to tell them that a new gauge was needed. They told me the service manager was going to contact me and let me know what they discussed...Unfortunately, I assumed the dealership would do that and order the part. I waited a couple of weeks, and after no word, I called them and they hadn't even ordered the new gauge yet!! ugh....

Anyway, just had the new one installed Saturday and it is working great so far.

Thanks for all your help on this!

ARtraveler
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
The dealers should now have a bulletin about the bouncing gauge. My gauge started bouncing around at 9700 miles. Prior to this, the gauge was rock solid. The bulleltin says to have the tank between 1/4 to 3/4 full and start bouncing on the suspension. This will cause gas to slosh in the tank and make the guage bounce around if defective. My dealer says the bulletin says to replace the guage. My RT is going into the shop for the clutch repair on Friday, and they said they will do the guage fix for me at the same time.

canam9
07-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I put an email to Carlo on the 17th and got a phone call from Carlo today the 20th. Carlo said the there is a fix for the fuel gauge.
I think BRP is getting on the ball. Carlo did say that the service man at my dealer should know, this but you know how it is. Carlo did leave me a number for the dealer to call if the were any problems.:ani29:

zeebill
07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Just a bit of really confusing info for you. If the trailer is on and the trike is in trailer mode the gage is rock solid and doesn't bounce around? Figure that one out. With a low tank today I put the trike into trailer mode without the trailer on and the fuel gage was pretty solid. Now to test next week with a fuller tank. Nothing like muddying the water huh? Sorry Bill :gaah:

zeebill
07-25-2010, 09:35 AM
OK I went for a ride today with the trailer on and a fairly full tank of fuel. The guage bounced all over the place. I tried taking the trike out of trailer mode and it still bounced all over the place. I have no idea why it didn't do that when last trailered but it now bounces crazily and this strange fact is removed from consideration in my mind. Sorry to mislead anybody and I am just as disapointed about the results as I am when I watch the fuel gauge go crazy on a bumpy road! Bill :opps:

canam9
07-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Bill, mine at two gallons and less is as you say "rock solid".
The stealership has ordered a replacement gauge as a fix.:ani29: