PDA

View Full Version : Those Damn Grommets.

ThreeWheels
05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Over the weekend, I lost my right side access panel because one of the three grommets that hold the thing in place fell out.

I have no idea where the panel is, so I need to buy a new one, and trust me, they ain't cheap, close to $300 including the special trim kit.

The grommet on the other hand, was buried in the belly pan. So the GOOD news is, I don't have to buy a new $0.15 grommet. Whew, what a relief.

I've lost two other grommets on the side panels and am waiting for replacements. At least those other panels are held in place with other fasteners, so they won't fall off the bike.

I'm thinking of gluing the grommets in place using some black RTV.

My dealer lubricates the grommets to make it easier to insert the plastic tabs. That way, there's less force to dislodge the grommets. Maybe the real answer is glue and a little vaseline. Seriously though, I'm thinking a little KY jelly might be better. Since it's water based, it will be slippery when I insert the tab, but then it will dry so the tab won't slip out so easily.

Has anybody experienced something similar, and maybe have a better solution ?

InspectorGadget
05-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Over the weekend, I lost my right side access panel because one of the three grommets that hold the thing in place fell out.

I have no idea where the panel is, so I need to buy a new one, and trust me, they ain't cheap, close to $300 including the special trim kit.

The grommet on the other hand, was buried in the belly pan. So the GOOD news is, I don't have to buy a new $0.15 grommet. Whew, what a relief.

I've lost two other grommets on the side panels and am waiting for replacements. At least those other panels are held in place with other fasteners, so they won't fall off the bike.

My dealer lubricates the grommets to make it easier to insert the plastic tabs. That way, there's less force to dislodge the grommets. Maybe the real answer is glue and a little vaseline. Seriously though, I'm thinking a little KY jelly might be better. Since it's water based, it will be slippery when I insert the tab, but then it will dry so the tab won't slip out so easily.

When I replace the panels I put a drop of dish soap on the studs, and wipe the grommets with water. It slides right on and it is water soluable, so any rain or washing will eliminate the dish soap.
Sorry to hear about your panels. Thats got to hurt the old wallet.
Good luck C-YA RL

Lamonster
05-17-2010, 11:34 AM

That's what I did and I pull my panels off all the time and they have yet to pop out.

Sarge707
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I lost my rear most one and a 10mm screw similar to the hex tuperware screws works fine and screws in Ok.
Can you get those gromies or equivalent thing at Home Depot?:dontknow:

Sopher
05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
What _I_ want to know is, how do know so much about KY jelly? :D

ThreeWheels
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
What _I_ want to know is, how do know so much about KY jelly? :D

I've been inserting tab A into hole B for many years now.

Gordy
05-17-2010, 04:40 PM
same problem when i got home from dealer one grommet was missing found it buried in belly pan put it in place and installed panel pushed grommet out again.i found that takeing panels off was realy hard too was afraid of breaking tabs off so i used brake caliper silicon grease on tabs still on good and solid and dont push grommets out when installing them

YPILOT
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
If your dealer was the last one to install the panel maybe they could man-up for a new panel.

Jornie1
05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey guys & gals
I think we have gone around this barn again and again and possibly again... The problem isn't just grommets. I am attaching pictures to show just what needs to be done so as not to lose these very expensive body parts, and a picture of the grommet package with part number for replacment grommets. Many dealers haven't learned just yet how to prevent this problem. They too think it's grommets missing or slipping out of their respective hole. As Lamont says.. glueing the grommets in is a very good idea but it isn't JUST missing grommets... take a look at the picture... In the first pic you see my pen is pointing at the hook/tab that MUST be hooked over the edge of the plastic frame. It is possible for it not to be hooked and look perfectly normal when attached only by the grommets. The second pic is the parts container with part # for getting extra grommets that will fit our Spyders.. Yep.. they are Honda OEM grommets.. THEY FIT... Note: you cannot see the tab in it's proper place by eyeball. you must do it by feel... Put your fingers behind the panel and feel that it is latched behind the plastic frame....Len

If your dealer was the last one to install the panel maybe they could man-up for a new panel.

ThreeWheels
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I have no one to blame but myself for the lost panel. Trust me, I wish I COULD blame someone else. And my dealer would be the first to stand up to the plate if it was his fault.
As to the hook, I'm not sure which panel is referenced in the photograph, but there is no such hook on the access panel for MY RT. Maybe it was changed for a later production run?

Prense01
05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey guys & gals
I think we have gone around this barn again and again and possibly again... The problem isn't just grommets. I am attaching pictures to show just what needs to be done so as not to lose these very expensive body parts, and a picture of the grommet package with part number for replacment grommets. Many dealers haven't learned just yet how to prevent this problem. They too think it's grommets missing or slipping out of their respective hole. As Lamont says.. glueing the grommets in is a very good idea but it isn't JUST missing grommets... take a look at the picture... In the first pic you see my pen is pointing at the hook/tab that MUST be hooked over the edge of the plastic frame. It is possible for it not to be hooked and look perfectly normal when attached only by the grommets. The second pic is the parts container with part # for getting extra grommets that will fit our Spyders.. Yep.. they are Honda OEM grommets.. THEY FIT... Note: you cannot see the tab in it's proper place by eyeball. you must do it by feel... Put your fingers behind the panel and feel that it is latched behind the plastic frame....Len

Precisely. I cannot speak to the panels without this hook. Are those the ones with the Velcro tabs?

When dealing with the type with the hook, the panel will eventually blow off if the hook is not engaged regardless or not if the grommets are still in place. This is because the hook will push against the piece it should be hooked on to and th panel will eventually release from the grommets along the leading edge allowing air to get under the panel. We have discussed this previously.

Chris :spyder:

ThreeWheels
05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

Here's a pic of my access panel. No hook and no velcro. You guys must have panels from a different production run.

Lamonster
05-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Preproduction and the dealer demo units had no hooks.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=5947

Bootie
05-18-2010, 08:15 AM
I lost two of my grommets on the left side.:cus: I am not sure but what the dealer lost, at least, one of them during my 600mi oil change(I never found it in the abyss). I ordered some new grommets from the dealer and they have not arrived yet (it's been 3 weeks). They cost almost $5 ea., not $0.15.:( BRP calls the big ones "Oval Washers".
I had to make a grommet out of rubber hose and I always use some sort of lubricant (spit, silicone, soap) depending on what's on hand. My hose-grommet is still holding.:2thumbs: I went to the Honda Dealer and tried to find some replacements but they said that there were none.:gaah: I am glad I can get the part number and go back and try again.:sour:

Jornie1
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
The old saying, "A picture is worth 1000 words" is proven out here. Take a look at Lamont's panel...and then at mine... Big difference... Get those tabs locked in boys & girls..these suckers are expensive. Mine, with a discount, was $233.96..and it was all my fault. Front tab wasn't locked in place dang it!! It looked perfectly attached and seated but I hadn't given it the it the old finger test... Consequently, somewhere out on I75 between Punta Gorda and Ft. Myers is a nice one, painted and everything... Len

Preproduction and the dealer demo units had no hooks.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=5947
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6895&d=1274188142

Bootie
05-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Yahoo, my oval grommets came in from BRP today (3 weeks).:D
$15 for the two, including $5 for shipping.:gaah:

SpyderRyder
05-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Yahoo, my oval grommets came in from BRP today (3 weeks).:D
$15 for the two, including $5 for shipping.:gaah:

I feel lucky. When I had my Spyder in for the 600 mile checkup, the tech noticed there were two missing. They didn't have any in stock, so he took them off of a floor model so I wouldn't be without. He placed an order for some more and the next time I was there, he gave me two of each... FREE. That's a good dealership.:bowdown:

Bootie
05-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey guys & gals
My Honda Grommet Kit came in today. Everything was there. It is a 5-grommet set but the round one and the oval one were there as promised.:2thumbs: And a whole lot cheaper than the OEM grommets from BRP.:cus:

Bootie
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
I feel lucky. When I had my Spyder in for the 600 mile checkup, the tech noticed there were two missing. They didn't have any in stock, so he took them off of a floor model so I wouldn't be without. He placed an order for some more and the next time I was there, he gave me two of each... FREE. That's a good dealership.:bowdown:
I tried to get my dealer to give me the grommets off of one their floor models.:bowdown: They wouldn't do it.:mad: I guess they would rather have my cover fly off so that they could sell me a $300 part instead of a $0.15 grommet. The Honda parts worked fine and didn't cost an arm and a leg.:thumbup:

MangoMike
06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I too am having a problem getting my front lower panels to "lock-in". For those interested in getting the Honda grommets try Direct Line Parts, here's a link:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2245&str=4

Mike

ridesilver2009
06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Do as we have done on the Goldwings since 2001, Zip Tie the grommets and use Di-Electric grease on plastic and grommets.. No more lost panels, grommets or broken posts.

syclemom
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
My wifes is an Oct. 09 bike that does not have the tabs, as soon as I saw the new tabs on later run models I tethered hers, small brass picture frame hanger epoxied to center of panel and 2 very small bungee cords, bend the hooks similar to curly pig tail and they wont come off on their on tyrapped other end to cross brace, I can tell you she has already found the panel loose once , the back held by bungee.

ThreeWheels
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
My wifes is an Oct. 09 bike that does not have the tabs, as soon as I saw the new tabs on later run models I tethered hers, small brass picture frame hanger epoxied to center of panel and 2 very small bungee cords, bend the hooks similar to curly pig tail and they wont come off on their on tyrapped other end to cross brace, I can tell you she has already found the panel loose once , the back held by bungee.

If the tabs are missing, try to get the panels replaced under warranty.

I've had the front hood, both access panels, a new windshield and windshield support replaced because of complaints I've had that were solved by improvements to the design subsequent to my RT's build date.

I think BRP and my dealer have been quite excellent in taking care of my issues.

widowmaker2011
06-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Kind of off topic but not really , There seem to be a whole bunch of Dealers that immediately sold their Demo units to the first customer that walked through the door. Knowing that there are some differences versus the production run RT's , you would have thought they would have followed BRP's request and used them for their purpose ... Especially when the PE RTS bikes were to be the "first".....I ran into a guy last week that said he got a PE but BRP forgot to stitch the seat. Sure enough it was a demo unit. :dontknow:

syclemom
06-08-2010, 07:09 AM
In defense of our dealer , we knew it was an early unit,was a spare demo in crate meant to be used as a replacement unit for the region by factory rep. my wife bugged him into seeking permission to sell it Jan. 5, his demo was scratched from test rides and was SE, hers is SM and I must say we have had next to no problems @ over 12,500mi. our friend got the later SE in march and I saw the tabs then, My wife had to have the first RTS and Trailer sold in Texas ,as we are told, no regrets so far she loves it.

widowmaker2011
06-08-2010, 08:04 AM
In defense of our dealer , we knew it was an early unit,was a spare demo in crate meant to be used as a replacement unit for the region by factory rep. my wife bugged him into seeking permission to sell it Jan. 5, his demo was scratched from test rides and was SE, hers is SM and I must say we have had next to no problems @ over 12,500mi. our friend got the later SE in march and I saw the tabs then, My wife had to have the first RTS and Trailer sold in Texas ,as we are told, no regrets so far she loves it.

:2thumbs: Was placing no digs to anyone , just knew that the dealers were told they were not final production units up front and they were given pretty much free floorplan assistance so it cost them next to nothing to keep it there for demo purposes so that the "value" of the premier editions were not affected (ie: why order a PE when I can just grab this demo unit). It's all good, just thinking aloud ...I know from a car manufacturer perspective this happens with special model launches also... ie: The Ford Raptor Truck, but the MSO is NOT produced or given to the dealer until the manufacturer releases it. In the case of the Raptor , we had one of the first on the east coast at our group and by not being able to sell it for 90 days we developed a ton of interest, so Fords marketing plan worked. Sounds Like BRP had the right idea, but releasing MSO's is the difference. :ohyea:

ThreeWheels
06-08-2010, 08:24 PM
If the tabs are missing, try to get the panels replaced under warranty.

I've had the front hood, both access panels, a new windshield and windshield support replaced because of complaints I've had that were solved by improvements to the design subsequent to my RT's build date.

I think BRP and my dealer have been quite excellent in taking care of my issues.

Oh, I forgot, I also had the bouncing gas gauge replaced with the newer design.

cliffm4
06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Yep , I lost the round one (top on right side) my dealer put a oval one in its place. I dont think it will becoming coming out . :spyder2: