PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Deer!

NancysToy
05-15-2010, 08:48 PM
We did about 130 miles today, me on my 72 BMW and Nancy on her Spyder (my RTS is still in the shop). On the way home, a big buck jumped out of the woods near the road, maybe ten feet ahead of me. I was sure I would take him out (or vice versa), but he swerved, and I swerved, and I watched him go by my right leg, close enough to touch. I'm not sure how it missed my rear wheel or fender, but it hit the truck in the opposite lane.

Nancy braked hard when she saw it try to take me out. She said something about muttering "Oh, s**t!" Then the deer bounced off the pickup and landed back in her lane, directly in front of her. Another "Oh, s**t!" and a quick avoidance maneuver, and we continued on our way.

As for me, I was just plain lucky. A second or two difference, or a deer that went straight instead of taking a hard left, and I would have been history. As for Nancy, the Spyder's excellent brakes and great maneuverability were her salvation, along with a cool head, and periodic parking lot practice of those avoidance maneuvers and panic stops.

It's a good day to be alive! Great to be in the living room instead of the hospital, too. If things like this don't make you practice your riding skills and wear proper riding gear, nothing will. Glad we had our gear on...this one was too close!

VaughnCat
05-15-2010, 08:51 PM
:yikes: Sounds like your guardian angels got a work out today!
Glad you're both safe!

NancysToy
05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Glad you're both safe!
They take good care of us! I thanked them and their boss before we went another 300 feet.

superfly3
05-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Glad you're both safe!

Glad you made it home safe:thumbup: that was for sure a close call.

Capt John
05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Nothing like those close calls to get the blood pumping! I'm glad you and the missus are safe and sound!

bikeguy
05-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Sounds like that was just way too close for comfort. That's the kind of thing that makes us put up with those full face helmets and armored jackets and boots even when the weather's warm. Glad you are both okay thanks to the help of your Guardian Angels and the forethought to practice those riding maneuvers.

Cotton

aerialdall
05-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Oh My!.. I'm so glad you are both OK despite the un-nerving feelings you both had to have had afterwards. That so brought back memories of my husband who hit a deer just a little over a year ago on his Harley. Had he have not had on his full face helmet & other gear he would not be here with me today. He has pretty much recovered from his seven broken bones & is back to riding. I am certainly glad your encounter wasn't any worse than it was.

Deb

dltang
05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Scotty, so glad you and Nancy are both okay. I too will give thanks to God for watching over my friends.

1VENOM
05-15-2010, 11:11 PM
:2thumbs: I'm glad your alright. I've had a few close calls with deer :yikes::yikes:, being and over the road driver for years, your going to hit one now and then but it's allot different on a bike than a tractor trailer. I'm very glad that your skills and experience took over at that moment and not panic.:bowdown::bowdown:

Firefly
05-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Glad you avoided disaster!

Being cool-headed and prepared can sure pay off.

jimclarkf1
05-16-2010, 12:45 AM
and Scotty, and the Mrs, we dont want to lose any :spyder:riders

SethO
05-16-2010, 01:20 AM
well played sir, makes you really think about what we do and it can go to crap no matter what your speed, things happen fast when you are riding an engine with some tires on it. Ride on.

vtrider
05-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Wow! Glad your both ok! I've had my share of sudden deer stops. I had a semi truck driver a while back hit the brakes quick in front of me. I wasn't sure why, until out from under the back of the truck came a busted up deer that he just hit. I had to swirve around the deer to avoid running over it. I go to work in the early morning hours, so I take my time on those country side roads and always scan the ditch lines for deer that may be present. I've been lucky as well so far. We sure have to thank those guardian angels at times! I agree about the proper riding gear. I always were my riding jacket and ridng pants with full armor, protective gloves, full face helmet and good riding boots. I had a motorcycle accident several years ago when a driver in a car decided to cross in front of me at an intersection. Needless to say, my honda VFR intereceptor got wrecked good. I came out of it with a badly spranged thumb. The protective gear saved my skin for sure. We just have to be aware that dangers are around us out on the open road and we need to take precautions to avoid getting hurt. Be careful and ride safe!

gmopsman
05-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Am glad to hear that you avoided the deer and were not hurt. I encountered a deer about 2 months ago and totaled my motorcycle.:( God with alittle help from full leathers and helmet saved me from major damage.
The good news is that is why I now own and ride a spyder.:D

bruceofthebronx
05-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Amazing what a clean scorecard with the Boss can do. Glad all is well.
Ride safe.

docdoru
05-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Glad no one was hurt. Very hazardous, specially while driving at night; my quad H.I.D.'s really make a difference on hilly, curvy, dark roads: http://vholdr.com/node/21920 :doorag:

Smylinacha
05-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Glad you guys made it through that! Very scary!

We have so many twisty roads around here that the thought of deer are always in the back of my mind, specially when we are ryding home at dusk when they most likely come out to feed. And at home they are as common as squirrels in the yard.

Yes, Spyder brakes stop on a dime!

We did about 130 miles today, me on my 72 BMW and Nancy on her Spyder (my RTS is still in the shop). On the way home, a big buck jumped out of the woods near the road, maybe ten feet ahead of me. I was sure I would take him out (or vice versa), but he swerved, and I swerved, and I watched him go by my right leg, close enough to touch. I'm not sure how it missed my rear wheel or fender, but it hit the truck in the opposite lane.

Nancy braked hard when she saw it try to take me out. She said something about muttering "Oh, s**t!" Then the deer bounced off the pickup and landed back in her lane, directly in front of her. Another "Oh, s**t!" and a quick avoidance maneuver, and we continued on our way.

As for me, I was just plain lucky. A second or two difference, or a deer that went straight instead of taking a hard left, and I would have been history. As for Nancy, the Spyder's excellent brakes and great maneuverability were her salvation, along with a cool head, and periodic parking lot practice of those avoidance maneuvers and panic stops.

It's a good day to be alive! Great to be in the living room instead of the hospital, too. If things like this don't make you practice your riding skills and wear proper riding gear, nothing will. Glad we had our gear on...this one was too close!

M2Wild
05-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Too close for comfort. Glad you guys are okay. Years of riding experience helps out a great deal.:doorag:

rnet
05-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Sure glad your deer avoidance system works, that's one mod you carry with you.

DynamoBT
05-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Very glad you are posting from the living room and not a hospital! Kudos to both of you for SEEing the deer. Practice is never wasted time!!

Search
Evaluate
Execute

Sarge707
05-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Glad your OK!! Practicing Helps a LOT! Having Guardian Angels never hurts!:pray:

FANG
05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Glad you and Nancy are alright. Say a prayer often when I am on the spyder just seems like a good thing to do. :pray:

BRPjunkie
05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Having hit three with a car, I never want to experience a bike encounter. Glad to hear you both are OK.

Lamonster
05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
:yikes:
Glad you didn't make contact and rode it out safely.

groundeffect
05-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Scotty, glad you both are ok... indeed, could have been a different outcome and I'm glad it worked in your favor.

Cheers thanks to goodness and safe rydes to you both.
Cheers from Newfoundland.
Dean

Tom in NM
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
. . . sorry for the deer.

I was surprised to read that Nancy and I both use the same cuss-word when in accident-avoidance-mode. :yikes:

And I agree, you cannot have too much practice or good luck.

Tom

murphybrown
05-16-2010, 06:30 PM
. . . sorry for the deer.

I was surprised to read that Nancy and I both use the same cuss-word when in accident-avoidance-mode. :yikes:

And I agree, you cannot have too much practice or good luck.

Tom

Are there any other words that work as well? Those words have served me for many decades. After that a BIG THANK You to our God and then check underwear and proceed!!!!:D

Tom in NM
05-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Are there any other words that work as well? Those words have served me for many decades. After that a BIG THANK You to our God and then check underwear and proceed!!!!:D

Well, there is one other 4 letter word I have used, but that is usually when I have done something stupid that is also life-threatening. Being a family site, and since I am not the Vice President, all I can say is that it rhymes with something that goes well with Orange Sauce. :opps:

Tom

Roaddog2
05-16-2010, 08:21 PM
:yikes:
Glad you didn't make contact and rode it out safely.:agree::pray: glad you and Nancy rode it out OK :thumbup:

SpyderGirl
05-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear you are both okay.

pitmon
05-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Glad u are both okay, hate it for the person in the truck... and the deer. We hit one last summer and it did more than 2000.00 damage on our truck, and it was a small doe! I sure don't want to hit one on the bike. Again, glad u are both safe and sound!

ntxYguy2009
05-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Glad to hear everyone is okay. :yikes:

David

boborgera
05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Glad to to hear Nancy and You are O/K.
When those wood's rat's play Kamikaze, usually nothing good comes out of it :sour:.
Luck has very little to do with it, Most of the time it's 90% Skill and the other half is Luck. :pray: