PDA

View Full Version : Console Removal...

Yazz
05-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Trying to install the ESI fender tips and mud flaps.

The fender tip instructions say to remove the console. Well, it's trying very hard to not be removed. Spent most of the morning using the Manual's technique of the screwdriver in the slot, gently pry, and it pops out. Yeah, trust me. It doesn't "pop" out.:gaah:

How much grunt can you use to get the thing out? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Firefly
05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Trying to install the ESI fender tips and mud flaps.

The fender tip instructions say to remove the console. Well, it's trying very hard to not be removed. Spent most of the morning using the Manual's technique of the screwdriver in the slot, gently pry, and it pops out. Yeah, trust me. It doesn't "pop" out.:gaah:

How much grunt can you use to get the thing out? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Hey Joy... just got your message... on a quick break between rides today.. so I only have a sec.....

I have to remove my windshield to get my console out most of the time. It helps to use 2 screwdrivers at the same time--- one on each side---- but it's still a P.I.T.A. !

If there is one thing I hate doing on my Spyder--- it's removing that stupid console. I'd prefer a couple of allen screws holding it in place.... which I'll likely do someday.

I curse every time I have to remove it.

Wish I had better info for you-- a very few times I've removed it easily... but usually not a fun thing. Even the Techs in Cuba had trouble doing it.. and they do them all the time.

Yazz
05-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I feel much better knowing its not just me having problems.

New plan of attack: Hubby and I each working on a different corner at the same time. Maybe throwing in some bad words now and then will scare it into coming out. LOL

Hope the weather is nice for your rydes...

Neez
05-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Make up a tool by putting a bend in the end of a small screwdriver or even a nail. Makes it a fairly easy job.

Yazz
05-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Make up a tool by putting a bend in the end of a small screwdriver or even a nail. Makes it a fairly easy job.

Ahaaa... we have a bunch of those little screwdrivers. Will bend one to look like a little crowbar and see how that works. I love special tools!

Thanks!

(Did you notice that its not out yet?)

MarkLawson
05-15-2010, 07:32 PM
A small hex wrench works perfectly & doesn't mar the hole, if you're careful. It only takes a light push on the tab to get it out, but you need to also be prying out on the top corner of the console while using the hex wrench. You shouldn't need to remove the windshield, I don't think.

Yazz
05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Hookaay, figured out that you have to push straight down in the little slots at the same time and the console does "pop" right out. Just have to push down hard enough. Yay!

But, the project has slowed way down. When patching into the signal wire behind the console, a certain someone who is not me, dropped a part of the Posi-tap into the dark abyss of Spydeedom.

Three hours later, with Spydee torn down to her nothingness, it has not been found.

I'm sure Hubby will bring me home something tasty for supper.:shemademe_smilie:

bone crusher
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Hookaay, figured out that you have to push straight down in the little slots at the same time and the console does "pop" right out. Just have to push down hard enough. Yay!

But, the project has slowed way down. When patching into the signal wire behind the console, a certain someone who is not me, dropped a part of the Posi-tap into the dark abyss of Spydeedom.

Three hours later, with Spydee torn down to her nothingness, it has not been found.

I'm sure Hubby will bring me home something tasty for supper.:shemademe_smilie:

The fender tipz and mudflaps are a great way to go...mudflaps are still my favorite mod. Just remember one thing...make sure you run the mudflap wire in the right place...my buddy ran it incorrectly and it got crushed, shorting out all the lights on my bike... :yikes:

Yazz
05-16-2010, 09:08 AM
The fender tipz and mudflaps are a great way to go...mudflaps are still my favorite mod. Just remember one thing...make sure you run the mudflap wire in the right place...my buddy ran it incorrectly and it got crushed, shorting out all the lights on my bike... :yikes:

Mudflap lights are the way to go. Makes signaling more prominent.

On my byke, I'm lead mech. Will make sure its done properly the first time. Chasing electrical gremlins is not my idea of a fun weekend.:cus:

Today we are installing the mudflap lights, tap into the left signal wire for the other tip, put the wheels back on and leave her nekid. Our plan is to bounce Spydee around and see if the missing Posi-tap falls out. Plan B is Hubby ordered more Posi-taps and they should be here Tuesday.

Hope today goes smoother than yesterday.

Sarge707
05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Mudflap lights are the way to go. Makes signaling more prominent.

On my byke, I'm lead mech. Will make sure its done properly the first time. Chasing electrical gremlins is not my idea of a fun weekend.:cus:

Today we are installing the mudflap lights, tap into the left signal wire for the other tip, put the wheels back on and leave her nekid. Our plan is to bounce Spydee around and see if the missing Posi-tap falls out. Plan B is Hubby ordered more Posi-taps and they should be here Tuesday.

Hope today goes smoother than yesterday.
You know nothing you do on the Spyder is usually as easy as people say after they have done it!! I think when they say it took them 30 minutes MAX- They mean 2 hours and a lot of grief??nojoke

Yazz
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
You know nothing you do on the Spyder is usually as easy as people say after they have done it!! I think when they say it took them 30 minutes MAX- They mean 2 hours and a lot of grief??nojoke

Amen to that! Also add offerings of rubbed knuckles and a drop or two of blood to the forces that be.

Think we ran the mudflap wire wrong. It runs from the rear light, between a bar and the tire, then up to the tip light. Hubby went to get some more teeny zip ties that will fit through the weep holes in the fender brace. Going to rerun the wire to go behind the bar out of the way of the tire.

Thanks bone crusher for bringing up the pinched wire issue.

Yazz
05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
How sweet it is!

Everything fell into place. Got the fenders properly wired and the tires on.

Hubby was the designated Spydee bouncer and shaker. He did his best but the errant Posi-tap didn't fall out the bottom. Ah well, have time to re-route the orange tipz wires better and clean the parts taken off before I put them back on. (Drives Hubby nuts that I will clean interior stuff as well as outer skins.)

The lights on the right side are winking and blinking. Once we get the shipment of more Posi-tips Spydee will be good to go.

She will look so fine.:ohyea:

NancysToy
05-16-2010, 07:57 PM
How sweet it is!

Everything fell into place. Got the fenders properly wired and the tires on.

Hubby was the designated Spydee bouncer and shaker. He did his best but the errant Posi-tap didn't fall out the bottom. Ah well, have time to re-route the orange tipz wires better and clean the parts taken off before I put them back on. (Drives Hubby nuts that I will clean interior stuff as well as outer skins.)

The lights on the right side are winking and blinking. Once we get the shipment of more Posi-tips Spydee will be good to go.

She will look so fine.:ohyea:
:roflblack: I thought I was the only one that did that. Every time I have panels off I clean the inside...plus everything else I can reach. :thumbup:

Roaddog2
05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Make up a tool by putting a bend in the end of a small screwdriver or even a nail. Makes it a fairly easy job.:agree:

bone crusher
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Amen to that! Also add offerings of rubbed knuckles and a drop or two of blood to the forces that be.

Think we ran the mudflap wire wrong. It runs from the rear light, between a bar and the tire, then up to the tip light. Hubby went to get some more teeny zip ties that will fit through the weep holes in the fender brace. Going to rerun the wire to go behind the bar out of the way of the tire.

Thanks bone crusher for bringing up the pinched wire issue.

been there...done that...pinching a wire isn't very much fun...argh!

Yazz
05-17-2010, 01:16 PM
:roflblack: I thought I was the only one that did that. Every time I have panels off I clean the inside...plus everything else I can reach. :thumbup:

I feel a clean byke is a happy byke. Don't clean too much around greased joints/zerks though. Think a little grease around the outside keeps crud out of the joint IMHO.

Yazz
05-17-2010, 01:39 PM
been there...done that...pinching a wire isn't very much fun...argh!

Don't want to go down that slippery slope again.

My two-wheelie's headlight kept going out. Couldn't find a pinch or chaff anywhere. When night riding, it got to the point of taping a flashlight on my head and riding in the middle of a group of bikes. nojoke

Finally put a new headlight wire harness in and it works like a charm now.

1VENOM
05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Yazz,
I did that this weekend , too. I install the fender tips, mud flap LED's, and the Stebel horn. When I lost a bolt into the abyss for the horn, not to be found. I also install blinking arrows on the mirrors. I left the tupperware off so I can clean it before the reinstall. Closed my eyes turned the key and nothing :yikes:. Forgot to reconnect the battery. :roflblack: Ok heart rate back to normal. Battery reconnected, turned out the lights and started the ol' :spyder2:. Wow, looks like a Christmas tree, lite up. I also have the triple play. She looks like a small airplane coming in for a landing.:2thumbs: It's raining here I can't wait to get her out at night I'll have to get a video of her in the dark.

SpyderGirl
05-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Not sure why it's necessary to remove the console to install the fender tip lights. Now I didn't buy the ESI kit, but I did do this mod on my own and the only thing I had to do was remove the gauge cluster. :dontknow:

I do, however, will need to remove my console to replace it with a new one. It has more holes in it than swiss cheese. nojoke

Firefly
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Not sure why it's necessary to remove the console to install the fender tip lights. Now I didn't buy the ESI kit, but I did do this mod on my own and the only thing I had to do was remove the gauge cluster. :dontknow:

I do, however, will need to remove my console to replace it with a new one. It has more holes in it than swiss cheese. nojoke

I think what we've really been talking about is the gauge cluster...... which is a CLUSTER to remove.:D

SpyderGirl
05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
I think what we've really been talking about is the gauge cluster...... which is a CLUSTER to remove.:D

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. And yes, it can be a pain to take out. Just have to remember that the top should pop out first, before you slide it out from the bottom. When you put it back in, you put the bottom in first, then push on either side corner of the top.

Yazz
05-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Yazz,
I did that this weekend , too. I install the fender tips, mud flap LED's, and the Stebel horn. When I lost a bolt into the abyss for the horn, not to be found. I also install blinking arrows on the mirrors. I left the tupperware off so I can clean it before the reinstall. Closed my eyes turned the key and nothing :yikes:. Forgot to reconnect the battery. :roflblack: Ok heart rate back to normal. Battery reconnected, turned out the lights and started the ol' :spyder2:. Wow, looks like a Christmas tree, lite up. I also have the triple play. She looks like a small airplane coming in for a landing.:2thumbs: It's raining here I can't wait to get her out at night I'll have to get a video of her in the dark.

Two great minds with but a single thought. More mods to keep us brighter and louder. Love to wrench on a rainy day. Open the garage door up, turn on the tunes and step into a world only mechs know about. Very satisfying.

IMHO all the things that fall into the Spyder Abyss, as well as the left socks the dryer ate, are in in a parallel universe waiting for us.:roflblack:

Stebel horns are a great idea. They might wake up a texter into getting back in their own late.

Haven't seen blinking arrows on mirrors before. Can't wait to see your video.:popcorn:

Yazz
05-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Sometimes I get the name of things mixed up. A Harley doesn't have an inspection port, but it does have a derby cover. Depending on who I was talking to, they knew, or didn't know what I was talking about.

Glad to hear more women are wrenching on their own rydes.:2thumbs:

Some Guy
05-18-2010, 10:05 AM
When patching into the signal wire behind the console, a certain someone who is not me, dropped a part of the Posi-tap into the dark abyss of Spydeedom.

Did the same thing when I installed my Fender Tipz!!! :gaah: Firefly mailed one to me, but the envelope got torn in the mail and when it arrived, no Posi-Tap! :gaah: So, I ordered a few of them to keep around.

I also installed my Mudflap lights this past weekend. They are AWESOME!!! :ohyea:

Badasz
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I went from the side with a small screwdriver there are two clips located below the hole that have to be pushed down to allow the console to release pop one side then the other. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE CONSOLE :thumbup:

Yazz
05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Did the same thing when I installed my Fender Tipz!!! :gaah: Firefly mailed one to me, but the envelope got torn in the mail and when it arrived, no Posi-Tap! :gaah: So, I ordered a few of them to keep around.

I also installed my Mudflap lights this past weekend. They are AWESOME!!! :ohyea:

Its bad enough to drop something into the abyss, but to receive a torn envelope and no Posi-Tap is over the top. :gaah:

Hubby ordered more Posi-Taps soon after dropping the piece. Made sure there were extras. Got them in the mail this morning. Yay!

Can't wait to see Spydee with her enhanced winking and blinking.::yes:

Yazz
05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I went from the side with a small screwdriver there are two clips located below the hole that have to be pushed down to allow the console to release pop one side then the other. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE CONSOLE :thumbup:

With all the good advice given here and finding out how much can go wrong, next time the cluster has to be removed it should be a two minute job!:pray: