PDA

View Full Version : Stone chips.

WackyDan
05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone else notice that the Spyder is a stone magnet?

After this last 2500 mile trip, I noticed several chips on the front fenders, and one good one on the trunk lid...

I mean.. I guess it is to be expected being low to the ground and a wider front end than a bike, but that many in one trip surprised me. I had heard a couple of them hit.

I guess as soon as I'm working again, it will be time for custom paint and that 3m clear film protection tape stuff.

How are the chip counts on your Spyders?

Recluze
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Wow! Where do you ride? I have 43,000 miles on mine and I don't believe there is a noticeable mark on it. What color is your bike?

Firefly
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Got a few on my hood.... would be more PO'd about it if I had custom paint. The 3M stuff will happen after I get a paintjob done for sure!

WackyDan
05-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow! Where do you ride? I have 43,000 miles on mine and I don't believe there is a noticeable mark on it. What color is your bike?

6200 miles or so... Silver Moon.

I did spend quite a few miles in a construction zone... That probably didn't help... I generally stay back from people.

Saluda
05-14-2010, 04:42 AM
Have one on the hood (yellow).

Recluze
05-14-2010, 07:32 AM
That is probably the difference between the way we ride and the number of chips. I am usually alone on back roads so I don't get any kick up from other vehicles. Being in a construction zone certainly would not help.

Now my transport trailer is a mess from rock chips. Most, probably came from my tow vehicle. It has a rock guard to protect the bike and boy does it work judging by the number of chips it has/had in it. I repainted the rock guard this winter.

You do know that there are touch up paint sticks for these bikes, don't you? I can't reccommend them but they are out there.

6200 miles or so... Silver Moon.

I did spend quite a few miles in a construction zone... That probably didn't help... I generally stay back from people.

patches
05-14-2010, 07:34 AM
It seems all fo NC is under construction right now. I have the same problem which is the reason I hesitate on the customer paint job. My front vendors are pretty dinged up.

mxz600
05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
One on the hood.

Tom in NM
05-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Lots of chips, but the bike still looks better than I do. Enough chips that I will really need a paint job after this season.

Tom

jabba11
05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
5000+ miles and zero but true enough its about where you ride. I dont spend a huge amount of time in any real traffic.