PDA

View Full Version : Ever rolled a Spyder?

Questions
05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Anyone ever rolled a Spyder? (I mean, flipped it in a curve)? I know Bosch provide the TCS and roll control, but is it really infallable? Just how hard can you push in the corners? Understeer? Oversteer?

YPILOT
05-12-2010, 08:54 PM
I,ve pushed pretty hard through the turns on US 421 across Iron Mtn. "The Snake" and its like this gas, brake , turn, gas and the vss kicks in and the acceleration stumbles a bit so you don,t flip. Never heard of a system failing or a spyder flipping over. If your pushing hard it might be a handfull to hang on to, But great fun.

When I get to the bottom
I go back to the top of the slide
Then I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
'Till I get to the bottom
Where I see you again
Yeah, yeah, yeah:D
The Beatles never rode on a :spyder:

patches
05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
It is most certainly possible but again..you must be really dumb to put yourself in the position to let that happen or trying to get out of something really fast but I would say it is most certainly possible.

NancysToy
05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
The only ones I have heard of were one that hit a curb, and another that went off the road into a ditch.

Firefly
05-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I,ve pushed pretty hard through the turns on US 421 across Iron Mtn. "The Snake" and its like this gas, brake , turn, gas and the vss kicks in and the acceleration stumbles a bit so you don,t flip. Never heard of a system failing or a spyder flipping over. If your pushing hard it might be a handfull to hang on to, But great fun.

When I get to the bottom
I go back to the top of the slide
Then I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
'Till I get to the bottom
Where I see you again
Yeah, yeah, yeah:D
The Beatles never rode on a :spyder:

Classic tune. On top of the VSS kicking in--- when the nanny decides to do your braking for you it's kind of spooky! Was reminded of this just the other day... turn sharp when going fast and don't hit the brakes---- nanny does it for ya....:thumbup:

Brevet05
05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
This guy lost it on an off-ramp almost exactly a year ago. Thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10560&highlight=offramp). There was also an Australian or New Zealander who lost control and drove over a cliff a while back (can't find that one), and a trailer-induced rollover (also Down Under):

About a month ago I had the misfortune to have what could have been a serious (I mean serious) accident on the road from Wisemans Ferry to Mangrove Mountain. I was followed by a friend all the way, and at Spencer, where we stopped for coffee Len made a comment on how well the trailer I was towing was travelling. Not ten minutes later, as I rounded a series of bends, at relatively low speeds, I had my accident. It happened so quickly that I don't even recall what happened, and how it happened.

I found myself lying on my back with the Spyder on top of me - upside down, the trailer still hitched to the towbar, and lying on its side, with all the contents spilt on the roadway. I was helped to my feet, and it took a little while to comprehend what had happened. Somehow, the Spyder was thrown onto its right side, then bounced back to its left side, then rolled over.
Both mudguards had scratches on it, the windscreen was smashed, and the tacho/speedo cluster had fallen out. The left hand mirror was snapped off, and the rear left footrest bracket had snapped. The Spyder was pulled back onto its wheels, and once the speedo cluster was reinserted, it was able to be started, and eventually ridden back to Sydney. The trailer however, had to be put onto a towtruck as the towbar was damaged. For some days I was in a lot of pain, and after going to hospital, was told I had a fractured pelvis with subcutaceous haematosis (bleeding under the skin).
When at last I was able to bend, and lift, I did an autopsy on the trailer. I removed the body of the trailer from the chassis to confirm what I had suspected - at some time (the trailer was about 10 years old) I had ridden over a pothole / rock / bump which had been so severe that the floor of the trailer was torn. The chassis frame directly underneath had metal fatigue and cracks in the welding. So every time I went over another bump, not only was the damage spreading, but the mounting bolts were tearing through, until there would have been only a couple of bolts on one side holding the trailer onto the chassis.
That one right hand bend was enough to lift the body off the chassis, pass the centre of gravity (point of no return), cause the trailer to then roll, which then pulled the Spyder over. The shape of the Spyder, and the topbox saved me. This could have very easily have happened whilst towing with my previous bike - a BMW. I shudder to think what would have happened if it had been anything other than a Spyder. I walked away, and was able to ride home.
What I learned from this, I have passed on to others - we do checks on our mounts, but how often do we check our trailers? Three of my friends who also have trailer, have since, checked their trailers and found that similar failings were found. Trailer floors have carpets, gear, that can hide the true condition of the trailer.

Desert Spyder
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I know of one guy whose nephew flipped it while attempting to do brodies. Damaged mirror and handlebar.

kytten
05-13-2010, 11:44 AM
My bf did not tip, but did lift one of the wheels off the ground. He was over weight limit and made a sharp turn at about 30mph. He was able to rebalance it out, though he did hurt himself a bit landing wrong on his leg to do so.

I'd heard about the guy who lost it taking an onramp too fast.

ARtraveler
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
If anyone gets into a roll over situation--I believe that they are going way to fast for conditions. To much speed, to much handlebar input, etc. I have always driven such, that when entering a curve, I can actually accelerate as I go around. For road emergencies the VSS should kick in and help. My first (and last) experience with hydroplaning caught me by surprise--but the VSS kicked in and saved me from a crash.

Firefly
05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
This guy lost it on an off-ramp almost exactly a year ago. Thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10560&highlight=offramp). There was also an Australian or New Zealander who lost control and drove over a cliff a while back (can't find that one), and a trailer-induced rollover (also Down Under):

About a month ago I had the misfortune to have what could have been a serious (I mean serious) accident on the road from Wisemans Ferry to Mangrove Mountain. I was followed by a friend all the way, and at Spencer, where we stopped for coffee Len made a comment on how well the trailer I was towing was travelling. Not ten minutes later, as I rounded a series of bends, at relatively low speeds, I had my accident. It happened so quickly that I don't even recall what happened, and how it happened.

I found myself lying on my back with the Spyder on top of me - upside down, the trailer still hitched to the towbar, and lying on its side, with all the contents spilt on the roadway. I was helped to my feet, and it took a little while to comprehend what had happened. Somehow, the Spyder was thrown onto its right side, then bounced back to its left side, then rolled over.
Both mudguards had scratches on it, the windscreen was smashed, and the tacho/speedo cluster had fallen out. The left hand mirror was snapped off, and the rear left footrest bracket had snapped. The Spyder was pulled back onto its wheels, and once the speedo cluster was reinserted, it was able to be started, and eventually ridden back to Sydney. The trailer however, had to be put onto a towtruck as the towbar was damaged. For some days I was in a lot of pain, and after going to hospital, was told I had a fractured pelvis with subcutaceous haematosis (bleeding under the skin).
When at last I was able to bend, and lift, I did an autopsy on the trailer. I removed the body of the trailer from the chassis to confirm what I had suspected - at some time (the trailer was about 10 years old) I had ridden over a pothole / rock / bump which had been so severe that the floor of the trailer was torn. The chassis frame directly underneath had metal fatigue and cracks in the welding. So every time I went over another bump, not only was the damage spreading, but the mounting bolts were tearing through, until there would have been only a couple of bolts on one side holding the trailer onto the chassis.
That one right hand bend was enough to lift the body off the chassis, pass the centre of gravity (point of no return), cause the trailer to then roll, which then pulled the Spyder over. The shape of the Spyder, and the topbox saved me. This could have very easily have happened whilst towing with my previous bike - a BMW. I shudder to think what would have happened if it had been anything other than a Spyder. I walked away, and was able to ride home.
What I learned from this, I have passed on to others - we do checks on our mounts, but how often do we check our trailers? Three of my friends who also have trailer, have since, checked their trailers and found that similar failings were found. Trailer floors have carpets, gear, that can hide the true condition of the trailer.

:yikes: Sure glad you're okay... !

Thanks for sharing some great info that could save someone from a similar or worse situation. Adding a trailer on the back of the bike certainly will change what can happen... and it's good to make sure the trailer is in good shape!

Thinking along those lines, I know BRP is the first MC company to sell a factory hitch and trailer... so they obviously think it's okay to do.... BUT... are they specific about using THEIR trailer? Seems to me there might be some fine print somewhere just so they cover themselves.:dontknow:

NancysToy
05-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks for sharing some great info that could save someone from a similar or worse situation. Adding a trailer on the back of the bike certainly will change what can happen... and it's good to make sure the trailer is in good shape!

Thinking along those lines, I know BRP is the first MC company to sell a factory hitch and trailer... so they obviously think it's okay to do.... BUT... are they specific about using THEIR trailer? Seems to me there might be some fine print somewhere just so they cover themselves.:dontknow:
They do say "BRP approved", just like they do with accessories.

Jester
05-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I tell people who ask about whether it will flip or not that the Spyder, with its special braking system is difficult to turn over but that does not mean IT WILL NOT THROW YOUR BUTT OFF WHEN NOT PAYING ATTENTION!!:yikes:

MackeyMouse
05-15-2010, 12:39 AM
If you have a trailer that has the tongue that rotates 360 deg. would that make a difference in how it reacts to sudden changes in direction?:dontknow: that trailer you had helped dump you or it was the main problem in your accident because it didn't have the 360 deg. tongue? :sour:

Justin
08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
It can be done.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/Numriser00011.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/Numriser00021.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/DSC_2228.jpg

Sny
08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
when the nanny decides to do your braking for you it's kind of spooky! Was reminded of this just the other day... turn sharp when going fast and don't hit the brakes---- nanny does it for ya....:thumbup:
Reminds me of when I was racing M5's at the BMW performance school. I consistently placed first on the tight track by flooring it all the way around with no braking while leaving the traction control (DSS on a beemer) set to it's most aggressive setting.

I believe they use a very similar stability system.

About a month ago...
Thanks for the scary trailer story... now I don't want one anymore :gaah: all that money I can spend on other toys!

Glad you're ok tho!

ataDude
08-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Glad you're ok tho!

Don't think it was Brevet that rolled. He said "also from down under" referring to the trailer story... and he's from up above. :D

Sny
08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't think it was Brevet that rolled. He said "also from down under" referring to the trailer story... and he's from up above. :D
It's that whole reading comprehension thing...

altonk
08-02-2010, 11:44 PM
More likely you will drive it off the road with all three wheels on the ground

And sharp low speed corners are the places you are more likely to roll a lot more steering angle

More likely on a stock bike that the hard skinny outside tire will understeer you
Back on three wheels if vss doesn't have then braking traction to do it.

With my soft wide tires the vss slaps it back down fast

When i put the wheels on I widened the track 3 inches also

altonk
08-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Actually the more unsettling case in VSS intervention under oversteer conditions

It does counter steer with braking put decelerates

It's very counterintuitive feeling

But if you anticipate the understeer and keep the fronts pointed in the direction ur going it will let u accelerate through it

If it wouldn't let me drift the corners I would put it on craigslist
:ohyea:

Raptor
08-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Actually the more unsettling case in VSS intervention under oversteer conditions

It does counter steer with braking put decelerates

It's very counterintuitive feeling

But if you anticipate the understeer and keep the fronts pointed in the direction ur going it will let u accelerate through it

If it wouldn't let me drift the corners I would put it on craigslist
:ohyea:

:agree: The key there is keeping the steering input at a point where the Nanny will not engage and power out of the turn, usually just post-apex. You have to be commited to the move though. any hesitation and Nanny will do it's thing and you end up in a ploughing situation that can be very dangerous as you will be too far offline to recover. Of course, this is pretty extreme riding and one should know his or her limitations! :doorag:

I've had wheels off the ground before during hard cornering but have never been in a situation where the bike was in danger of rolling over. The Nanny does work. BTW, that is a great look with the front wheel/tire combo!