PDA

View Full Version : Front trunk issues

zztop69
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have this problem? The front trunk will not stay latched,even after you think you have it closed you can pull on the side and it will pop right back up.Have tried to adjust with no luck, any ideas?
Timeless Black RT-S
thanks

taggtr
05-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I have the same problem time to time. I just center the trunk hood the best I can then slap it shut where the latch is. If anyone else has any ideas I'm open to them!

ThreeWheels
05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
There is a redesigned catch mechanism (bar) on the hood that slips into the latch on the body. Unfortunately, it requires replacement of the entire hood to get the new catch.
See if your dealer will replace it under warranty since your having so much trouble.

zztop69
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
I think mine already has the new latch, long silver round bar about 3 inches long?

ThreeWheels
05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I think mine already has the new latch, long silver round bar about 3 inches long?

Sounds like the old one to me. The new one looks like this :

xpeschon
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I think you can adjust the part thats on the hood either in or out, again I said I THINK by turning the latch either way.. I maybe wrong on this one..

Joe
(X)

zztop69
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I have the old one, This one looks a lot better built than mine. Guess I will see what the dealer has to say. Thanks for the pics!:2thumbs:

NancysToy
05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
It could need a new latch (hood), but many of the RTs that were delivered had to have latch adjustment. If the bearclaw is too far down, the hood will not latch. You can adjust it, or your dealer can. This should be tried before it is decided that a new hood is necessary.

BHawksworth
05-12-2010, 09:20 PM
How does one adjust that? Also, are the side trunks adjustable? Mine require a very definite and positive movement to latch, and I'm wondering if it can be made easier.

It could need a new latch (hood), but many of the RTs that were delivered had to have latch adjustment. If the bearclaw is too far down, the hood will not latch. You can adjust it, or your dealer can. This should be tried before it is decided that a new hood is necessary.

NancysToy
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
How does one adjust that? Also, are the side trunks adjustable? Mine require a very definite and positive movement to latch, and I'm wondering if it can be made easier.
If you look down into the bearclaw latch area on the Spyder, with the trunk open, you will see two screws and nuts. Loosen just enough to adjust the latch, the test it. Others have reported good results loosening the latch until it is just movable, but has to be pushed to do so. Raise it all the way, latching the lid, then push the latched lid down against the gasket, release the latch (using the key or electronic release), then tighten the latch where it sits.

The side bags and rear trunk may be able to be adjusted, but I would recommend against it. The gaskets are water (and air) tight, making it need a sharp push or a rap with the hand to latch. This is a good thing. it keeps your stuff dry. Many saddlebags, including those on my BMW, don't seal well. Latching the side bags and rear trunk will become easier in time, as the seals compress and you get the hang of the technique for latching them.

Dwight
05-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Before you get too envolved in adjusting or replacing the latch spend a little time working a good grease into the latch mechanism. I used a little bit pumped out of my grease gun on my finger and worked it in everwhere I could, then wiped the excess off. Works perfect now, just close it, put the heel of you hand on it above the latch and give it a quick jolt. Before I did this you pretty much had to hammer it hard with you hand to get it to latch. By the way this is a LaMonster tip, I can't take credit for it.:D

Dwight

NancysToy
05-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Before you get too envolved in adjusting or replacing the latch spend a little time working a good grease into the latch mechanism. I used a little bit pumped out of my grease gun on my finger and worked it in everwhere I could, then wiped the excess off. Works perfect now, just close it, put the heel of you hand on it above the latch and give it a quick jolt. Before I did this you pretty much had to hammer it hard with you hand to get it to latch. By the way this is a LaMonster tip, I can't take credit for it.:D

Dwight
Good point! I would suggest using a silicone grease. It is no staining, waterproof, and doesn't melt away in the heat. White lithium grease would be my second choice. I'm not sure why greasing the hood and seat latches is not done during the PDI. It certainly should be.

glynnk
05-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I have the same problem time to time. I just center the trunk hood the best I can then slap it shut where the latch is. If anyone else has any ideas I'm open to them!

Ditto...same here. Had problems at first, but I've gotten the technique down now. A little silicone helped. Interesting to note that BRP came out with a new lid closing bar.

Glynnk