PDA

View Full Version : Mudd Flap

InspectorGadget
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
OK I went to Tractor supply and purchased 1.5' of 10" wide baler belt for 7.99 p/ft. I asked the clerk if he could cut a little larger than 1' and he gave me 16" for the price if 12".
I mounted it to the fender using some SS 1/4" flat head bolts with trim rings from Lowes, backed by SS fender washers & SS nuts.
I used the license plate bottom holes as a guide for drilling the holes and turned the flap the oposite was as it was rolled so it is away from the tire farther.
Total cost about $15.00 and it can be trimmed to any shape you like.
C-YA RL

docdoru
05-12-2010, 01:21 PM
:thumbup:

NancysToy
05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Looks good! Let us know how it works.

Spyderjockey
05-12-2010, 06:44 PM
OK I went to Tractor supply and purchased 1.5' of 10" wide baler belt for 7.99 p/ft. I asked the clerk if he could cut a little larger than 1' and he gave me 16" for the price if 12".
I mounted it to the fender using some SS 1/4" flat head bolts with trim rings from Lowes, backed by SS fender washers & SS nuts.
I used the license plate bottom holes as a guide for drilling the holes and turned the flap the oposite was as it was rolled so it is away from the tire farther.
Total cost about $15.00 and it can be trimmed to any shape you like.
C-YA RL

I have a 2008 RS and used a heavy duty rubber truck mud flap and cut it down to fit my rear fender on my Spyder. It worked great for a while and then on a long ryde the mud flap got sucked up between the tire and fender and scared the .... out of us. After that it happened more and more frequently until I finally had to stop and take it off. The next day I obtained a stiff plastic heavy duty truck mud flap and cut that down to size and it has worked perfectly and have not had the same problem as I did with the rubber one. Here are some pics:

VaughnCat
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Yankee ingenuity comes through again!
save $$$$ = more gas $$$$ = more rydes :2thumbs:

DeeKay53
05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I made a similar mud flap for my RT. On the first long ride it destoyed its self.:yikes: It got turned up side down behind the mud gaurd and rubbed on the tire. I now have rubber dust all through the bike and dose it stink!!! :( Be carefull.:sour:

TicketBait
05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
You don't explain why you did this? It must be for a good reason, are you on dirt or gravel roads.

I like the visibility of the w i d e rear tire

When i get my trailer hitch I will have the mud flap it comes with, but personally don't like the appearance of this, sorry jmo

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyder028.jpg

InspectorGadget
05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
You don't explain why you did this? It must be for a good reason.

Because I can.
C-YA RL:ohyea:

NorthStar
05-13-2010, 02:36 PM
You don't explain why you did this? It must be for a good reason, are you on dirt or gravel roads.

I like the visibility of the w i d e rear tire

When i get my trailer hitch I will have the mud flap it comes with, but personally don't like the appearance of this, sorry jmo

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyder028.jpg

If you have driven in the rain and not had the back end of your bike and your passenger covered in debris I would like to know. Since I purchased the bike with the trailer hitch/mud guard already mounted, and have no point of reference driving in the rain without a hitch, I would like to find out if it is the BRP trailer hitch/mud guard that is causing all of the dirt to fly upwards when traveling over a wet and dirty surface.

I have extended my fender with a mud flap, but it really is not doing the job as well as I would like. If the rooster tail is being caused by the BRP trailer hitch then I will have to modify my thinking on what to do to solve this problem.

NancysToy
05-13-2010, 04:19 PM
If you have driven in the rain and not had the back end of your bike and your passenger covered in debris I would like to know. Since I purchased the bike with the trailer hitch/mud guard already mounted, and have no point of reference driving in the rain without a hitch, I would like to find out if it is the BRP trailer hitch/mud guard that is causing all of the dirt to fly upwards when traveling over a wet and dirty surface.

I have extended my fender with a mud flap, but it really is not doing the job as well as I would like. If the rooster tail is being caused by the BRP trailer hitch then I will have to modify my thinking on what to do to solve this problem.
Same situation without the hitch. The strong negative pressure area behind the RT, as it punches a gigantic hole in the wind, creates the problem no matter what. The high vacuum will pull up anything that ends up behind or comes around beside the Spyder. It is just like a semi-trailer with a fithy back door. The mudflaps only help a little.

NorthStar
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Thought that might be the case. My extended mud flap definitely helps, but I may have to be a little more creative without making the back end look too garish. Or.... I could stop riding in the rain....:joke:

NancysToy
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Thought that might be the case. My extended mud flap definitely helps, but I may have to be a little more creative without making the back end look too garish. Or.... I could stop riding in the rain....:joke:
Nah! Bikes clean up...and so do passengers. The worst part is having to clean the mud off the back of the windshield and off the instruments, though...and the rain coming backwards makes the backs of the gauge faces drool. :roflblack:

InspectorGadget
05-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I forgot to show the SS stiffiner that was installed when I put the mudd flap on. I think it will prevent any problems with the flap being sucked into the tire.
Thanks for all of your comments and concerns.
C-YA RL