PDA

View Full Version : Curious behavior-RT SE

2manycars
05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I have been speaking to another member about this who had what I think is a similar stalling issue. I have 500 miles on the Spyder.

Last Friday the RT started stalling "periodically" when I came to a full stop going from 2 to 1 with the SE. On saturday it continued but much less so. Since Sunday (knock on wood) it has not stalled once, and seems to behave as it should.

The weather was much hotter last week, and I had a strong smell of gas. One other thing that is probably a coincidence is that I used gas from an unknown station and had to use regular(they had no premium). The problem started about 10 miles after the fill up, and got better the next day as I added some gas from my usual station, and then when I refilled it totally it stopped stalling all together. I cannot imagine why "bad gas" would crete what seems like a transmission issue.

Any ideas what the problem could be, and have those who had the transmission.clutch problem experience been the same (Bad, better worse, gone) and then returned later?

Thanks all

Big Wilb
05-11-2010, 07:55 PM
My RT doeas the same thing. It doesn't happen too often maybe twice or three times a week. I tend to downshift manually trying to prevent it from happening but once in awhile it does happen. I have told the service department at Martin Motor Sports about it and we will keep an eye on it to see if anything changes on it.

davidnterrie
05-11-2010, 08:03 PM
my RTS has been stalling out also - does it sometimes when i downshift into 1st or sometimes when computer downshifts ... first 2 times it did it was on an incline so i did not think much of it but after that it does it on flat ground as well ... it is in the shop now for the 600 mile first service and i told them about it - only thing i have heard from service dept so far is they had to order a new sensor but not sure if it is for this problem ... will update post when i get it back later this week

Chezeburger
05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Same here mine did the same and even locked its self in first and had to be towed at 100 miles. I didn't know I could get under it and manually shift into neutral.
Mine is also in now for the 600 mile tune up and having the three poly urethane bushings replaced with new pin bushings.

:2thumbs:

2manycars
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
You said there is a service bulletin about it? Bulletin 2010-0004 refers to a sensor initialization-some sort of software update. Is there another dealing with changing the pins or bushings or ?

I can not figure out why it does this sometimes and not all the time. It would be far easier to get fixed if it always did it. I suspect my dealer will tell me "its normal and they all do that sometimes." I will have to wait and see.

If you can give me more information on exactly what the bulletin or fix is, I will mention it to the dealer.

Thanks-and i must add, why my RT?

mike3069
05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Check this thread for more info http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18988

davidnterrie
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM
my dealer verified the recall- service bulletin - he first told me today when i called to see if my 600 mile service was done that i could pickup my RTS but that he had to order the parts to fix this problem - when i got to dealer to pickup they told me Can Am had issued today a "No Ride" amendment to the bulletin and they would not release the RTS to me so that i could ride till parts came in and the clutch is fixed ... so another week without it- hopefully this will fix the problem and i can get back to riding

dadof4
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I have an appointment to bring my RT-S SE5 (build date:3/2010) in for the 600 mile maintenance next Tuesday? In my first 500 miles it has demonstrated the clutch issue 4 times. I plan on bringing it to the dealer's attention when I bring it in. Will they confiscate mine also? I hope not. We are finally forcast some good weather.

NancysToy
05-16-2010, 06:09 AM
I have an appointment to bring my RT-S SE5 (build date:3/2010) in for the 600 mile maintenance next Tuesday? In my first 500 miles it has demonstrated the clutch issue 4 times. I plan on bringing it to the dealer's attention when I bring it in. Will they confiscate mine also? I hope not. We are finally forcast some good weather.
This clutch issue can be unsafe! If your Spyder will not stop moving without hard brake application, or if it moves unexpectedly...into traffic, you could be injured. I would not recommend riding it until it is repaired. The problem will likely continue to get worse. Let the dealer take care of it now, and you will have many carefree miles to come.

BumbleBee
05-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Get your update!

"RT Gear Position Sensor Update (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18233)"

Got mine in March, made a big difference, don't have that problem anymore :2thumbs:

taggtr
05-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Thank you for the gear sensor update. I'll mention it to my dealer to get that done since my RT-S is sitting in their garage right now waiting for the clutch replacement parts. I am so itching to ride!!!!! Great weekend in AZ to ride and mine is not available!