PDA

View Full Version : what would you suggest...

CRUCIFIED
05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
A couple weeks ago I took the spyder in for 6000 service, belt change and rear brake pads.

a couple days later I take it back because the brakes are spongy and its throwing an engine code.

The tell me a week and a half ago.."you need a new master cylinder (which was fine before they changed the brakes)and a clutch sensor" of some sort....which is under warranty. cool...well sorta.

Last Wed.I get a call "your parts are in and we will work on it first thing Thurs. morning."

Thursday they call, "we are running behind, should be ready Friday afternoon".

Friday afternoon, "BRP sent us the wrong parts, we will have to re-order them"

Monday morning, a different service person "we never got any parts in, let alone the wrong ones and your stuff is on back order with no eta, We really have no idea when your spyder will be available and since there are brake issues, we cannot let you take it home...they made some 3rd generation pads so they are probably in high demand so I really cant give you ANY idea of when they will be available."

sooooo? Any suggestion or should I just sit and wait indefinitely? :gaah:

bone crusher
05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
A couple weeks ago I took the spyder in for 6000 service, belt change and rear brake pads.

a couple days later I take it back because the brakes are spongy and its throwing an engine code.

The tell me a week and a half ago.."you need a new master cylinder (which was fine before they changed the brakes)and a clutch sensor" of some sort....which is under warranty. cool...well sorta.

Last Wed.I get a call "your parts are in and we will work on it first thing Thurs. morning."

Monday morning, a different service person "we never got any parts in, let alone the wrong ones and your stuff is on back order with no eta, We really have no idea when your spyder will be available and since there are brake issues, we cannot let you take it home...they made some 3rd generation pads so they are probably in high demand so I really cant give you ANY idea of when they will be available."

I'd call and speak with the owner...tell them you are unhappy with the all the 'stories'...they should be honest with what is going on...I'd also lob a call to Carlo and ask him to follow-up with the dealership...it's nice to have someone on the inside of BRP on your side with an issue like this...

Too many 'whoops' here...after a maintenance visit, your bike should be performing perfectly!

CRUCIFIED
05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Yeah, thats what I was considering but I am a bit hesitant because I figure I would need to stay on the dealers good side in case I have future issues and need them to back me with BRP...

Thank you for the input B.C., I am definitely reconsidering my approach.

xpeschon
05-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Not sure how others will take this however,,, I would approach the owner as stated and voice your concern in a professional manner, if you have had a good relationship with these folks before they will make it right in order to get you fixed up, if you have had bad service with these folks well then it maybe time to look at another dealer,,, You MUST use all your resources at the dealership prior to contacting Carlos though, this is my opinion only, all to often I hear of people contacting Carlos in order to bail them out of a situation, and yah some time its needed however, IF we have a GOOD relationship with the dealer (Oh and I might add it works two ways here) yah the statement like "The customer is always right" that we hear all the time is basically--somewhat true however again, its kind of a two way street,, If a customer starts DEMANDING things --is RUDE--OVERPOWER-- we all know what I'm talking about, well then how can you expect them to bend over backwards for you and look and turn to other dealerships to see if possible they have the parts for you?? I am not saying that is what you did or anything but the bottom line is this:::::::::::::::::: Service and Customers relations is a 2 way street, thats all I'm saying.. The best of luck in getting you fixed up..
Joe
(X)

fastfraser
05-11-2010, 04:54 AM
After the cock and bull story you got from your dealer I'm not sure I would like to stay on his good side as I would be looking for a different dealer.:dontknow:

fastfraser
05-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Did you have to get your belt changed after 6K or did they just adjust it to new specs.:dontknow:

Pogo
05-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I know how you feel. I got my Spyder back today after five months in the shop. Most of that time was waiting for parts. Depending on who I spoke to, the parts were either on back order or the wrong parts had been shipped or ordered... But they had the bike and until then I'd had good relations with them.

I contacted BRP Australia and told them of the problem and my frustration. They arranged to speed up parts shipping and I got back on the road.

I had also had a discussion with our fair trade office about my options, and I mentioned this to BRP.

I think the stories you hear are all different takes on the same problem, like the blind men describing the elephant.

If there is a parts shortage, then you are stuck no matter which dealer you go to. If it is just slackness, then swaping dealers might help, but you should do some research before you jump.

Good luck.

Pogo.

Firefly
05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Not sure how others will take this however,,, I would approach the owner as stated and voice your concern in a professional manner, if you have had a good relationship with these folks before they will make it right in order to get you fixed up, if you have had bad service with these folks well then it maybe time to look at another dealer,,, You MUST use all your resources at the dealership prior to contacting Carlos though, this is my opinion only, all to often I hear of people contacting Carlos in order to bail them out of a situation, and yah some time its needed however, IF we have a GOOD relationship with the dealer (Oh and I might add it works two ways here) yah the statement like "The customer is always right" that we hear all the time is basically--somewhat true however again, its kind of a two way street,, If a customer starts DEMANDING things --is RUDE--OVERPOWER-- we all know what I'm talking about, well then how can you expect them to bend over backwards for you and look and turn to other dealerships to see if possible they have the parts for you?? I am not saying that is what you did or anything but the bottom line is this:::::::::::::::::: Service and Customers relations is a 2 way street, thats all I'm saying.. The best of luck in getting you fixed up..
Joe
(X)

:agree: 1000%

No need to bother Carlo with this...... yet. Going over their heads at this point won't win brownie points with them.

Deal with the local dealer and be straight-forward, but nice and see how things go.... and go there in person to discuss it.

CRUCIFIED
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Did you have to get your belt changed after 6K or did they just adjust it to new specs.:dontknow:

There was a stone caught in the belt...needed replaced.

Thanks for the input everyone...figured there must have been at least a few people who have dealt with similar issues. My dealer has been pretty good thus far and I really want to continue to have a good relationship.

bone crusher
05-11-2010, 07:40 PM
There was a stone caught in the belt...needed replaced.

Thanks for the input everyone...figured there must have been at least a few people who have dealt with similar issues. My dealer has been pretty good thus far and I really want to continue to have a good relationship.

Cool beans! I guess go with the flow and thank them for helping you when you're done...a nice 'thank you' goes a long way these days...

SpyderWolf
05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I would also talk to the owner about the run around you are getting, and your displeasure with it. Then see what he is going to do about it.

We just had our Spyders in for the latest service bulletins to be performed. Whoever worked on mine did not button it back up properly, and I am missing a body mounting torx bit screw and the metal clip that it screws into. I called the dealer today and explained the situation, and asked them to ship me the parts as I am hoping they are in that mechanic's toolbox. I am still waiting for a call with their resolution to this. It also makes me wonder if I can trust them for service when the tech can't even put the tupperware back on correctly. :dontknow:

Best of luck getting your issue resolved, and getting back on the road soon.

krb1945
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
The spongy brake issue sounds to me like air in the brake system. Air compresses... hydraulic brake fluid does not compress. I'd bet they opened the bleeder to get the pistons back and got air in the system. Ken krb1945

CRUCIFIED
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
The spongy brake issue sounds to me like air in the brake system. Air compresses... hydraulic brake fluid does not compress. I'd bet they opened the bleeder to get the pistons back and got air in the system. Ken krb1945

I agree. The brakes were fine before they changed the rear pads. Now they tell me the Master Cylinder "should" be available for shipping on the 17th then a few days to get here from Canada...then another day to install. :sour:

IMO bleeding the brakes (which I had expected them to do) should have solved the problem and got me out of there the same day I dropped it off.
They made no attempt to do so and said "90% of brake issues with the Spyder...the new MC fixes it so were going to do that":dontknow:

Oh well...........tomorrow I am going to go there after I drop my wife off at the hospital for her infusion.

RoadHammer
05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
wait......... just like a majority of us have had to do. it sucks but it is what it is.

Tripod
05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, thats what I was considering but I am a bit hesitant because I figure I would need to stay on the dealers good side in case I have future issues and need them to back me with BRP...

Thank you for the input B.C., I am definitely reconsidering my approach.

I don't know where you're located in SoCal, but consider talking to the service guys at North County House of Motorcycles in Vista. They "get" the Spyder, and John is just about the best Spyder Tech there is.

Tripod :joke:

dvmdf
05-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I am in SoCal, which dealer did u go to?

CRUCIFIED
05-13-2010, 12:23 AM
I am in SoCal, which dealer did u go to?

Before I share that information I am going to talk to the management tomorrow and find out whats going on. Sometimes the issue is a simple lack of communication and I wouldn't want to give the impression that they are an inferior dealer...at least not without a legitimate complaint that has been investigated by the management and left unresolved. If they are a solid dealer I will continue to recommend them, if not, it would serve others well to know of my bad experience. When I get this straightened out tomorrow I will update the thread. If the error is mine I will gladly admit it and preserve the integrity of the dealership.

CRUCIFIED
05-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Yesterday I went to the dealership and a fellow Spyder Ryder works there. I spoke to her and she was very helpful in getting things sorted out. They acknowledged a probable communication breakdown but I was unable to find out exactly what happened since the notes in the computer were quite vague.

I am still waiting for a call from the service manager otherwise I expect the Spyder to be completed on the 17th or 18th of this month.

Encouraging yet disheartening, there were seven Spyder's (5 RS's and two RT's) parked in the service department and from what I understand most if not all were awaiting parts including the individual's Spyder who worked there and helped me out....she is still waiting for a new DPS after the steering locked up.:yikes:

Looks like there aren't any Spyder owners who are immune to BRP frustrations... including dealership employees.nojoke

krb1945
05-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Did the notes give any indication of why changing the brake pads caused the master cylinder to fail. It sounds very strange. I'd be willing to bet bleeding the system would return it back to normal... UNLESS... they broke something while changing the pads and don't want to tell you they broke it.

I had that happen to me twice... once at a auto repair shop and once at a motorcycle repair shop in Gainesville. Being in a hurry and a little careless is all it takes to down a machine. /Ken krb1945

BajaRon
05-16-2010, 09:36 PM

BINGO! You get the Cupie Doll!

These guys sound like they are guessing and replacing parts when they should be troubleshooting what they did to cause the problem in the 1st place. Or maybe they already know... :yikes:

Here's a senario for you.

If they take responsibility for the problem they caused and spend the tech time to fix it, (bleed the brakes) the expense is on them.

BUT! If they tell BRP the MC is bad (replacement requiring bleeding which will fix the problem) then the expense goes against the warranty, not the dealer.

Oh my! Surely a dealer would not put the cusomer through all of this just to cover their bottom line.....Would they? :dontknow:

spyryder
05-16-2010, 10:33 PM

:agree:
There should have been no need to open the bleeder for a simple pad replacement.
I wonder if they failed to turn the parking brake actuator shaft fully counterclockwise before trying to retract the piston. The piston WILL NOT retract without doing this first.

boborgera
05-17-2010, 09:04 AM
:agree:
There should have been no need to open the bleeder for a simple pad replacement.

:dontknow:
Or some Yahoo at the dealer pressed on the breake's when the pads were out. :yikes:

BajaRon
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
We can speculate all we want and someone here may be exactly right. But the truth is, replacing pads does not cause the MC to go bad instantly.

Someone messed up and they aren't standing up and taking credit for it. Instead, they leave the poor customer twisting in the wind while giving the machine a bad rap.

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Crucified, today is May 18, do you have an update on your Spyders status?

CRUCIFIED
05-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Crucified, today is May 18, do you have an update on your Spyders status?

Wow brother you are lookin out! Thanks:2thumbs:

Called this morning, parts are in. Was on the rack at 3 p.m. and should be done in the a.m

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Wow brother you are lookin out! Thanks:2thumbs:

Called this morning, parts are in. Was on the rack at 3 p.m. and should be done in the a.m

Very glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction. Hopefully you will be fully operational tomorrow. :thumbup:

ynot
05-19-2010, 01:12 PM

sounds like our dealer. gave them a deposit the 24th of april, ordered accessories, dealer said it would be ready may 1. went to the dealer may 1, not ready, paid the spyder off. called to check if it was ready tuesday, may 4, dealer said parts would be in wednesday, told the dealer we would pick it up thursday may 13, dealer said that would be fine. drove another 123 miles to pick it up, parts still had not arrived. finally picked it up monday may 17. had to ask lots of questions about fluid levels and other features. dealer went in the back and brought a mechanic to go over the questions i had. my wife asked about the pre delivery check list, the dealer said she wasn't sure where it may be, my wife said the manual was clear, it was important to insure our warranty was in effect. the dealer went back inside and returned with a work order and said to just sign it, she would find the check list and fax it to us. it has been two days now, no pre delivery check list. guess at this point it would be a post delivery check list.
moved it from the middle of their parking lot to gear up, limp home mode flashes. went back inside to inform the dealer who finally sent a mechanic to check it out. he finally brought it back and said it just needed resetting. we again tried to head home. the first light we came to my wife let me know the brake lights weren't working. then limp home mode flashes again. back to the dealer, was told a longer bolt from an accessory had caused a short. finally after two hours we were headed home. today going thru the owners manual, what to my surprise, no tool kit. now another 123 mile trip to pick up the missing kit. the only thing that has been enjoyable so far was the 123 mile trip home in the rain. if any one could hook me up with the can am rep i would appreciate it. to this point i have held my temper with the dealer but i am about to reach my limit. seems there is a reason for a pre delivery check list, only this dealer seems to think otherwise.:mad:

SpyderWolf
05-19-2010, 06:48 PM
sounds like our dealer. gave them a deposit the 24th of april, ordered accessories, dealer said it would be ready may 1. went to the dealer may 1, not ready, paid the spyder off. called to check if it was ready tuesday, may 4, dealer said parts would be in wednesday, told the dealer we would pick it up thursday may 13, dealer said that would be fine. drove another 123 miles to pick it up, parts still had not arrived. finally picked it up monday may 17. had to ask lots of questions about fluid levels and other features. dealer went in the back and brought a mechanic to go over the questions i had. my wife asked about the pre delivery check list, the dealer said she wasn't sure where it may be, my wife said the manual was clear, it was important to insure our warranty was in effect. the dealer went back inside and returned with a work order and said to just sign it, she would find the check list and fax it to us. it has been two days now, no pre delivery check list. guess at this point it would be a post delivery check list.
moved it from the middle of their parking lot to gear up, limp home mode flashes. went back inside to inform the dealer who finally sent a mechanic to check it out. he finally brought it back and said it just needed resetting. we again tried to head home. the first light we came to my wife let me know the brake lights weren't working. then limp home mode flashes again. back to the dealer, was told a longer bolt from an accessory had caused a short. finally after two hours we were headed home. today going thru the owners manual, what to my surprise, no tool kit. now another 123 mile trip to pick up the missing kit. the only thing that has been enjoyable so far was the 123 mile trip home in the rain. if any one could hook me up with the can am rep i would appreciate it. to this point i have held my temper with the dealer but i am about to reach my limit. seems there is a reason for a pre delivery check list, only this dealer seems to think otherwise.:mad:

This is not a good dealer report at all, and it seems like we are seeing a lot more of them lately as well. At this point I would try to have them ship whatever you are missing to you on their dime. I wish you the best in getting all of your issues sorted out with the current dealer.

ynot
05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
This is not a good dealer report at all, and it seems like we are seeing a lot more of them lately as well. At this point I would try to have them ship whatever you are missing to you on their dime. I wish you the best in getting all of your issues sorted out with the current dealer.

good news, after three days of faxing the dealer, we finally received our pre delivery check list. funny, they checked everything on the list as being done, right down to the tool kit being in the proper location. i checked everything that they failed to do in the margin beside their check mark and will fax the sheet to BRP as well as the dealer.

more good news, yesterday i took an 80 mile ride, so far no issues, great fun. my back, knees and shoulders are pretty much shot from years of neglect and abuse, football, baseball, moto cross crashes and multiple surgeries. i was hopeful i could log some relatively pain free miles on the spyder, no problems so far with 226 miles on the odometer.

SpyderWolf
05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
good news, after three days of faxing the dealer, we finally received our pre delivery check list. funny, they checked everything on the list as being done, right down to the tool kit being in the proper location. i checked everything that they failed to do in the margin beside their check mark and will fax the sheet to BRP as well as the dealer. more good news, yesterday i took an 80 mile ride, so far no issues, great fun. my back, knees and shoulders are pretty much shot, no problems so far with 226 miles on the spyder.

I am glad to hear you are not having any issues with the Spyder so far, considering the state of the check list. Here's hoping it stays that way as well.