PDA

View Full Version : Kwelmetal air shock - does it work?

pathfinderjoe
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I've been considering the air-shock system from Kwelmetal to address the over weight problem I have when riding 2 up with the saddlebags stuffed . Before I spend the big bucks - can anyone who has installed one give me some feedback - please.

Firefly
05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
These guys sell an air shock system too.... less expensive.

http://www.teamfast.com/news/blog/canam-spyder-roadster-airride-suspension-system-69500/

bone crusher
05-11-2010, 12:46 AM
I've been considering the air-shock system from Kwelmetal to address the over weight problem I have when riding 2 up with the saddlebags stuffed . Before I spend the big bucks - can anyone who has installed one give me some feedback - please.

I had the kewlmetal mirror extensions and they were a good product...the footpeg construction is junk...I'm questioning the attention to detail with this company at this time as I'm still upset about the footpegs moving all over the place with no way to lock them down...short of welding them...

I'd go with Fire's advice on this one...he knows his product lines pretty darn well...

fastfraser
05-11-2010, 05:04 AM
These guys sell an air shock system too.... less expensive.

http://www.teamfast.com/news/blog/canam-spyder-roadster-airride-suspension-system-69500/

I was interested in this set up as well . Rnet has this installed and after his pre post I had with him I think I might go a different way.:dontknow:

rnet
05-11-2010, 05:22 AM
__________________I know you have been waiting for my review, but I have not fully tested this shock out yet. I have not had a chance to ride 2 up. I can tell you that it handles normal roads very well, however it did not handle speed bumps as good as the stock shock. I bought this shock to be able to adjust to my loads and it does this very well. The fast shock mentioned does not have any adjustment for rebound. Since the above posts don't mention that they have tried these shocks, I would discredit there advice. This does not apply to fastfraser.

Firefly
05-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I know you have been waiting for my review, but I have not fully tested this shock out yet. I have not had a chance to ride 2 up. I can tell you that it handles normal roads very well, however it did not handle speed bumps as good as the stock shock. I bought this shock to be able to adjust to my loads and it does this very well. The fast shock mentioned does not have any adjustment for rebound. Since the above posts don't mention that they have tried these shocks, I would discredit there advice. This does not apply to fastfraser.

Agree---- I only mention the TeamFast unit as an option--- I have NOT tried the either product so can't endorse either---- but if I was looking at them I would take a close look at the TeamFast unit considering it's almost 1/2 the price.

Mad Matt
05-14-2010, 01:33 AM
I had the kewlmetal mirror extensions and they were a good product...the footpeg construction is junk...I'm questioning the attention to detail with this company at this time as I'm still upset about the footpegs moving all over the place with no way to lock them down...short of welding them...

I'd go with Fire's advice on this one...he knows his product lines pretty darn well...

Did you install the star washers between the links and the brackets?

My number is 623-298-7835.

Matt

CRUCIFIED
05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I purchased the Kewl Metal system. Its great lowering the Spyder to get my handicapped wife on the back and for car shows but the ride is so rough on badly paved roads or if you hit a pot hole...If I was to take a long trip I would probably put it back to stock until I got home. Currently when running around town I have to consider which route to take based on the quality of the road conditions. If not for our unique situation, I would regret the purchase considering its price tag.

Now regulating the air to try to find a semi-comfortable ride isnt easy and attempting to make adjustments on the fly is pretty much out of the question.Too much air bounces like crazy, not enough rebound and it bottoms out...dangerous at high speeds. I would recommend purchasing some air gauges with this set up but the digital type which you would need (above 160 psi) will cost nearly $300. I havent been able to yet for financial reasons.

I am not a newbie to air suspension as I have owned or rode in several vehicles with bags/cylinders. The ride should typically improve on comfort over a stock set up...IMO this one does not.

On high note...product is good quality and the install was easy. Also on nice roads it handles MUCH BETTER than stock with a lot less of the VSS kicking.

Now comparing the two packages offered, I would say that the Kewl Metal set up probably has a better air management system (Viair 100c compressor valves etc) but I believe the other may have a better air shock as it appears to be similar to that of a shockwave (air ride technologies inc.) which is top notch!:2thumbs:

If anyone buys the less expensive set up please post your thoughts on the ride quality, lift etc. In time when funds allow I may consider keeping my kewl metal set up and simply replacing the shock itself with the one from teamfast.

Matt, if your reading this and there is a way to soften the ride please feel free to offer some input/suggestions. If I have overlooked some aspect to this suspension or its adjustability I would appreciate the help. As far as I know I have tried just about every setting possible.

CRUCIFIED
05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
If I may add to my last post...at the time I made the purchase the less expensive option wasn't available. Also keep in mind I am rather light at 145 lbs.,combined weight with my daughter is under 200lbs. and two up with the wife we are still under 300lbs. This may play a factor. I have found the ride improves a bit with the increased weight of two ryders.

I normally don't give negative reviews of products, especially when the product is from a site sponsor but at a cost of almost $1300 with the remote...in this case I felt it was important to do so. Also, I have greatly benefited by the reviews and the input I have received from other Spyderlovers.com members. I felt I needed to contribute as well.

CRUCIFIED
05-14-2010, 10:25 PM
XXX 74...

Would you mind sharing your experience?

Mad Matt
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Crucified,

I have found that the Kewlmetal bleed feed system has always had a better ride than any spring shock as far as absorption of sharp or large bumps. There are several bumps on my road in and out of my neighborhood that hurt my back if I stay seated, with stock shocks, or even progressive shocks on my VTX, but with the air ride, they are no problem. The Spyder exhibits the same characteristics but not quite as noticeable as a 2 wheeled bike. I believe this is because you are feeling more of the front suspension on the Spyder. The handling is not necessarily better in terms of vehicle dynamics under hard driving and cornering because there is NO oil damping, so the system is under damped. The bleed feed system pressurizes both sides of the piston and has quite a lot of damping for an AIR shock, especially compared to a single sided air shock.

Now let's also remember the original purpose to putting an air ride on a bike in the first place is to slam the bike for looks. A lot of the original systems are single sided and merely allow you to raise the bike so you have SOME suspension to ride home on. These systems are terrible to ride. The Kewlmetal bleed feed system is WAY better. BUT it is NOT a high end shock like a penske, a totally different animal.

I still Love my air ride on my Spyder and the wife rode it for 10K miles with no issues and she was very comfortable on it. And trust me she would have made me take it off if she had any issue with it!

I think if the ride is harsh you have it set up too stiff. You should raise the shock all the way to the top and stop pressurizing as soon as it hits the top while releasing all the back pressure at the same time. Then lower the bike no more than 1 inch with the back pressure. I find this to be the sweet spot for me, and once I have done it a few times I can set it right back with out using any gages.

Now I used to ride my VTX both solo and 2 up, and with the progressive shocks I HAD to adjust the shocks for 2 up and back again for solo, which was a pain. Once I put the air ride on, that issue went away. I was able to set the shock just using the switches, and once again, after experimenting a little, I did not need any gages to repeat the settings pretty close each time. For this reason and because the hard bumps were less harsh, I would never trade back to a spring shock after running the air ride. The single biggest compromise is the under damping when riding hard in the twisties, but that is on 2 wheels, this is less noticeable on the Spyder and has less impact on the handling IMHO.

I always set the pressures while standing next to the bike, before riding. It is very difficult to get it right while sitting on the bike or while riding.

I hope all this helps!

Please feel free to call me 623-298-7835 if you have any questions.

Matt

Firefly
05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Good info to know from all sides.

I was under the impression that air-shocks were for a better ride and easier adjustment to get a better ride--- not for 'slamming' it for looks. $1300, or even the $700 for the ability to 'slam' it is just nuts in my opinion-- not a look I care for at all.

The Elka adjustable for the rear is what I'll be taking a serious look at. Maybe this would work for you also CRUCIFIED ?

bone crusher
05-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Did you install the star washers between the links and the brackets?

My number is 623-298-7835.

Matt

Matt,

Lemme take a picture of what I have now and I'll email it to you...you have your email somewhere here but can you PM me with it? I had the star washers on both sides at one point or another...right now, I have it bolted really tight and with red locktite, still not sure it will hold...won't be able to take a spin this weekend as I have a pro event to work. I'll take a photo and send you the pics...you'll see by looking at the bolts just how much I've been trying to get these things to hold on tight...

Thanks...

CRUCIFIED
05-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Crucified,

I think if the ride is harsh you have it set up too stiff. You should raise the shock all the way to the top and stop pressurizing as soon as it hits the top while releasing all the back pressure at the same time. Then lower the bike no more than 1 inch with the back pressure.

I always set the pressures while standing next to the bike, before riding. It is very difficult to get it right while sitting on the bike or while riding.

Thank you for the reply Matt.

I have experimented with just about every other conceivable ride height and/or mixture of primary and back pressure... to no avail and with inferior results. My review above was based upon on your recommended settings which were similarly described in the installation manual.

http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/003/Spyder%20Air%20Ride.pdf

"Now add pressure to the primary and release the back pressure at the same time to raise
the bike all the way up to the top of the travel, then release just a little primary to drop the
back ½ inch or 1 inch. Then add just a little back pressure (1 or 2 seconds) and that is a
good starting point for a test ride. Adding more pressure to either (or both) sides will make
the ride firmer."

If my experience isn't typical perhaps I have a faulty cylinder and should send it in for an exchange?

Mad Matt
05-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Crucified,

I am really puzzled because all of my air rides provide a softer ride than the stock shocks. The biggest cause for a harsh ride is simply too much pressure. If the rear cylinder does not leak, and it articulates and raises and lowers with the switches, then I would say there is nothing wrong with it. There is not much that can go wrong with it other than leaks.

If you raise it say 3/4 of the way up with no back pressure, then apply just a hint of back pressure, it will ride soft as soft can be. At this setting, it will bottom out on a larger bump as you say, so a little more front side pressure and you should be great!

I really would like to speak to you on the phone on Monday.

Matt

CRUCIFIED
05-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Crucified,

I am really puzzled because all of my air rides provide a softer ride than the stock shocks. The biggest cause for a harsh ride is simply too much pressure. If the rear cylinder does not leak, and it articulates and raises and lowers with the switches, then I would say there is nothing wrong with it. There is not much that can go wrong with it other than leaks.

If you raise it say 3/4 of the way up with no back pressure, then apply just a hint of back pressure, it will ride soft as soft can be. At this setting, it will bottom out on a larger bump as you say, so a little more front side pressure and you should be great!

I really would like to speak to you on the phone on Monday.

Matt

My Spyder is in the shop right now but when I get it back I would be more than glad to discuss this with you on the phone. Thanks.

I have/had no intention of purposely hindering Kewl Metals business...It was a difficult decision for me to make...to comment at all.

If this can be resolved I would be blessed to report back a positive experience and a solid endorsement. These are tough times as you know and I didnt want to see anyone spend that kind of money for a product that really didnt perform as described.

I hope you understand my position.

Mad Matt
05-15-2010, 11:37 AM
My Spyder is in the shop right now but when I get it back I would be more than glad to discuss this with you on the phone. Thanks.

I have/had no intention of purposely hindering Kewl Metals business...It was a difficult decision for me to make...to comment at all.

If this can be resolved I would be blessed to report back a positive experience and a solid endorsement. These are tough times as you know and I didnt want to see anyone spend that kind of money for a product that really didnt perform as described.

I hope you understand my position.

No worries. I only want satisfied customers. I am not the least bit interested in selling somebody something based on any mis-information or mis-interpretations. An air ride system, although it is cushy and adjustable, it does not have oil damping. Perhaps the harshness you are feeling is the extra bouncing you get because of the lack of damping. This is the nature of the beast. The main road into town for me is a bad road full of busted up pavement and pot holes, and I am perfectly comfortable on mine. Now I say that because I know how harsh a motorcycle can be. It is not a big heavy car or SUV. Anyhow, lets talk on Monday and we can take it from there. Maybe the Elka is a better solution for you and we can work something out.

Matt

fastfraser
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
:2thumbs: Thanks for the posts! Its good to hear the good and bad .

RoadHammer
05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
i have the KM air ride and I find it very rough also.
I weigh about 140, and can't find that smooth ride I was hoping for whatsoever. I expected a cadillac ride but instead it has turned out to be a breadbox.

I have been setting up as Matt has said since I first put the air ride on and haven't got a satisfactory setting yet.

riding 2 up solves the issue. It seems like extra weight makes it actually work.ME and a passenger = 250 lb's.
I don't know much about air suspension but is it possible the size of the air shock is overkill for lightweight spyder pilots ?

All i know is with the factory spyder shock I was able to actually make the supsension easily move by slamming my butt into the seat at it's softest setting. With the air at 3/4 ride height and zero back pressure I can't make it budge an 1/8 of an inch when slamming my butt in the seat.

On smooth highways it's perfect,no matter how low or high the ride height is. It's a stock like feeling........

On rough highways forget it. I am extra careful because I never know if the air ride is going to buck me off the seat.

Mad Matt
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
i have the KM air ride and I find it very rough also.
I weigh about 140, and can't find that smooth ride I was hoping for whatsoever. I expected a cadillac ride but instead it has turned out to be a breadbox.

I have been setting up as Matt has said since I first put the air ride on and haven't got a satisfactory setting yet.

riding 2 up solves the issue. It seems like extra weight makes it actually work.ME and a passenger = 250 lb's.
I don't know much about air suspension but is it possible the size of the air shock is overkill for lightweight spyder pilots ?

All i know is with the factory spyder shock I was able to actually make the supsension easily move by slamming my butt into the seat at it's softest setting. With the air at 3/4 ride height and zero back pressure I can't make it budge an 1/8 of an inch when slamming my butt in the seat.

On smooth highways it's perfect,no matter how low or high the ride height is. It's a stock like feeling........

On rough highways forget it. I am extra careful because I never know if the air ride is going to buck me off the seat.

I just went out to my Spyder, and I raised the shock up to the top. Then I released all the back pressure. Then I released enough front side pressure to let it drop just 1/4 inch. So now I know I have the longest travel available, the least amount of front side pressure to hold it up, and zero back pressure (in fact probably slightly negative on the back pressure because I dropped it 1/4 from when it was zero). Now I just lean on my luggage rack and I can easily compress the back end 1 inch or more without even putting all of my weight on it. Then if I drop it a little more, say about 1/2 the range, is is so soft it will easily bottom out.

Are you sure you have no back pressure? The back pressure is what really firms it up.

Matt

XXX 74
05-17-2010, 02:41 PM
XXX 74...

Would you mind sharing your experience?

Hello Crucified,

Thanks for asking for my opinion. That is exactly what Im going to present to you. My personal experience.
There are various sides of this...

Looks:
There is no one here that can argue this: when you show your bike, you feel great when you receive positive feedback. When some one says to you: WOW that looks freaking awesome ! it is a great feeling. :D There is a Spyder shirt that says: I'm not a rock star. i just feel like one when I ride my spyder", that is because a lot of people are checking you out while you ride..there is no argument, riding the Spyder is a huge kool factor...:ohyea:
when you park your bike at any place and people go and see the bike or they simply point at it.. most of the time they complement the bike. But when you park and you drop the bike to the ground... :yikes: that is another story... That just takes it to a whole different level. then is when their jaw drops to the ground and you feel great about your ride.. is a show stopper and that is a FACT. :firstplace:

Quality:
There is no argument. The quality is top notch. When I got the kit the installation instructions were weak and I had some questions.:gaah: I figured I would call KewlMetal. I remember my conversation with Matt like it was now. I called Matt's cell and left a message. He called me back. I could not understand much of what he was saying because he was so sick that his voice was gone and he was super congested. I was impressed because he actually returned the call as sick as he was.:thumbup:
A newer instruction guide was created shortly after... The only thing that I would update is the switches.. but that has nothing to do with quality.. that is esthetics. ;)

Ride comfort:
I finish the installation and rode the bike completely slammed... no air what so ever... just to test. that did not go well after the first pothole...but it looked awesome... not a good compromise. :roflblack:

I raised the bike all the way up to stock height releasing the pressure down. i had both switches going in opposite directions the compressor is bringing the bike up and the second switch with no pressure.
I did not like the way it worked for me. it was just way too stiff. :lecturef_smilie:
i released a little air and then added pressure down (just one switch at the time). I was standing next to the bike and pushed the bike down to check the stiffness until I felt more or less that it felt a nice balance... And I found it...:clap:
Now whenever I park the bike it goes slammed. but when I ride I bring it all the way up to stock position, then once is all the way up i release a little pressure and then add pressure in the opposite direction and let's go riding... if I'm taking a passenger (females only :D - i don't believe on a male riding in the back unless it is my son. :roflblack: ). All I do is release more air and add a little pressure in the opposite direction.
I now have the perfect compromise; Ride quality and killer looks... :clap:
Just for statistics: I am 165 lbs.

Would I recommend the KewlMetal air ride; Yes. 100%. That is my riding and Show experience.

About other suspension being cheaper: well, sometimes you get what you paid for.
Buy a Kia or buy a Cadillac, they are boths cars... is your choice.
You know exactly what I mean by that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0224.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0231.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0228.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0230.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0232.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0234.jpg

RoadHammer
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Well i got it riding a little better today. I found the roughest road and ran it and reran it again and again.

It took alot of fiddling but I got it petty good. Maybe if i can fatten up my butt maybe the ride will be perfect.. The only downside is when i get home i always slam the bike so it's lower to get in my wheelchair so It's back to finding that sweet spot everytime I get on the bike. Otherwise once you have it set, set it and forget it.

Would i recommend the KM air ride. YA... Nothing else on the market that pressures both sides of the ride. I think one of the best benefits is 2 up riding. When you go 2 up your headlight at night will be directly in oncoming traffic. I've experienced this all the time 2 up and That can land you in trouble with coppers. Crank up your ride and your lights can be dialed in better compared to the stock shock.
If you have leg troubles, or cant walk lowering the bike greatly decreases any effort of getting on and off the bike.

It's worth it.

my settings are crank up to max ride height, bleed the back side. Lower the ride height one inch, Add one second to half a second of back pressure and for me its good. All in all it lowers the bike around 2 inches.

pathfinderjoe
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
This is a great forum. I have learned a lot - thanks to all of you. I have yet to make up my mind as to what I'll buy but I need something fairly soon - before we take off for our trip. No matter what it is I'll report back if there is anything new to add to this discussion.

Mad Matt
05-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Well i got it riding a little better today. I found the roughest road and ran it and reran it again and again.

It took alot of fiddling but I got it petty good. Maybe if i can fatten up my butt maybe the ride will be perfect.. The only downside is when i get home i always slam the bike so it's lower to get in my wheelchair so It's back to finding that sweet spot everytime I get on the bike. Otherwise once you have it set, set it and forget it.

Would i recommend the KM air ride. YA... Nothing else on the market that pressures both sides of the ride. I think one of the best benefits is 2 up riding. When you go 2 up your headlight at night will be directly in oncoming traffic. I've experienced this all the time 2 up and That can land you in trouble with coppers. Crank up your ride and your lights can be dialed in better compared to the stock shock.
If you have leg troubles, or cant walk lowering the bike greatly decreases any effort of getting on and off the bike.

It's worth it.

my settings are crank up to max ride height, bleed the back side. Lower the ride height one inch, Add one second to half a second of back pressure and for me its good. All in all it lowers the bike around 2 inches.

Road Hammer,

Glad to hear it. It just take some experimenting. Some gages would make it easier and more accurate to repeat the settings, but like I said, once you have done it for a while, you really won't need the gages any more, although they would be kewl addition to the system. There is also one other thing you might try if you like. You can add some extra volume to the primary side of the cylinder by putting a T in the line and adding a remote pressure can. This will soften it up a little bit by lowering the "compression ratio" if you will.

BTW, my wife is about 140 lbs and she is pretty comfortable on the RS with the air ride.

Matt

XXX 74
05-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Now whenever I park the bike it goes slammed. but when I ride I bring it all the way up to stock position, then once is all the way up i release a little pressure and then add pressure in the opposite direction and let's go riding... ]

:ohyea: That is exactly my setting... it works ! :2thumbs:

dont worry Roadhammer, once you do it a couple of times is super easy to find the sweet spot and to adjust to your riding preference..

Sometimes I want to ride it lower and I also found the really nice sweet spot while riding super low... The system is so flexible that you can soften or stiff the suspension to your needs... is all about preference... Glad you found your sweet spot.. enjoy, safe ride ! :clap:

krusin_
05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
New spyder owner, first post. Roadhammer, can you tell me if you received brokerage charges when you received your kewlmetal air shock? I really want one, but I am afraid of being bent over by fedex when it arrives. I have talked to Brandon at kewlmetal and he is reluctant to ship usps...

RoadHammer
05-19-2010, 11:58 AM
New spyder owner, first post. Roadhammer, can you tell me if you received brokerage charges when you received your kewlmetal air shock? I really want one, but I am afraid of being bent over by fedex when it arrives. I have talked to Brandon at kewlmetal and he is reluctant to ship usps...
What you need to do is ship to someone you know stateside, get them to reship to you as a gift. If thers a value to the package you'll get nailed by customs. It will cost you double shipping but it's worth it. I have some biker gang friends that help me out with this kind of stuff:D when needed.

You have any stateside friends, family members etc? you should be able to find someone to help you out right on SL with this for sure. On another note i dont think you'll have any regrets with KM air ride so it'll be worth double shipping charges.

Firefly
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Elka is in Canada......:thumbup:

krusin_
05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Elka is in Canada......:thumbup:
But Elka doesn't have an air ride shock...:p:p

in all seriousness, I need something to stiff up the back when I ride with my wife and I am really torn between the elka 3 way and the air ride shock. I don't mind paying customs on stuff, but the brokerage charges are what chaps me. I got some stuff via UPS once and the package cost me $60 in brokerage charges on a $140 item...and I prepayed shipping. It took me by surprise and I will never do it again.

fastfraser
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
But Elka doesn't have an air ride shock...:p:p

in all seriousness, I need something to stiff up the back when I ride with my wife and I am really torn between the elka 3 way and the air ride shock. I don't mind paying customs on stuff, but the brokerage charges are what chaps me. I got some stuff via UPS once and the package cost me $60 in brokerage charges on a $140 item...and I prepayed shipping. It took me by surprise and I will never do it again.

Do what i do . Get a US address ! PM me and when i get home on thurs. I will give you the details . You still pay customs 15% but not the bond fee.

Roger
05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Rnet has one on his spyder and he is still tinkering with it he has a few ideas. I have one and have not put it on the bike yet thought about returning it but with a 10% restocking fee plus shipping that would be a big hit. not happy about restocking fee cause the item was on back order. But anyway i think i will put it on and tinker with it especially after reading this thread. If i'am not happy with it i will sell it and try something else. :dontknow:

RoadHammer
05-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Rnet has one on his spyder and he is still tinkering with it he has a few ideas. I have one and have not put it on the bike yet thought about returning it but with a 10% restocking fee plus shipping that would be a big hit. not happy about restocking fee cause the item was on back order. But anyway i think i will put it on and tinker with it especially after reading this thread. If i'am not happy with it i will sell it and try something else. :dontknow:
you'll get it set the way you want it Roger.
I figure your a 200 plus pound guy so you will be able to get it set for you easily. I think the tinkering comes with lightweights like myself and some other light riders. On my way home tonight I lowered the bike and it was the most comfortable ride i ever had on the spyder. changing the height makes a difference, but I know the highway was good so I adjusted accordingly with the simple push of switch. you wont do that with elka's or as far I know any other option out ther:D

Roger
05-20-2010, 06:24 AM
you'll get it set the way you want it Roger.
I figure your a 200 plus pound guy so you will be able to get it set for you easily. I think the tinkering comes with lightweights like myself and some other light riders. On my way home tonight I lowered the bike and it was the most comfortable ride i ever had on the spyder. changing the height makes a difference, but I know the highway was good so I adjusted accordingly with the simple push of switch. you wont do that with elka's or as far I know any other option out ther:D

Thanks ROADHAMMER i was going to have the dealer install it while i was on vacation but he just got it yesterday so i will pick up my bike and bench build the shock add pressure and let set overnight. Yes you are right 6 months ago i weight 228 3 months later i was 214 i got to get below 200 before i go back to the doctors. He said for a guy my height 5'6" i should be at 135# yeah ok. i'am thinking some where between 160-180 realistically.

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks ROADHAMMER i was going to have the dealer install it while i was on vacation but he just got it yesterday so i will pick up my bike and bench build the shock add pressure and let set overnight. Yes you are right 6 months ago i weight 228 3 months later i was 214 i got to get below 200 before i go back to the doctors. He said for a guy my height 5'6" i should be at 135# yeah ok. i'am thinking some where between 160-180 realistically.
:roflblack: These guys crack me up! My dietician said at 6'0", I should reach 147. Doctor said he'd settle for 163. They are both dreaming, 175-180 is all I can manage. If I try to drop below that, my metabolism shuts down, and my pancreas gets mad at me. As long as the diabetes stays away, they should be satisfied. You will find your sweet spot.

Roger
05-20-2010, 09:33 PM
:roflblack: These guys crack me up! My dietician said at 6'0", I should reach 147. Doctor said he'd settle for 163. They are both dreaming, 175-180 is all I can manage. If I try to drop below that, my metabolism shuts down, and my pancreas gets mad at me. As long as the diabetes stays away, they should be satisfied. You will find your sweet spot.

That is the exact goal i'am trying to get to. dam diabetes. i will beat it. I'am pretty close now.

Roger
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
OH anyway i got the shock installed on my bike yes it is stiff but i have only began to try and dial it in. i will post when i do. may have to confer with my pal ron.