PDA

View Full Version : GPS W/ cardo scala rider q2 question

EVE
05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Everyone, I tried doing a search but could not find the answer. Is the Garmin Nuvi 765T compatible with the cardo scala rider? Thanks.

wyliec
05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Everyone, I tried doing a search but could not find the answer. Is the Garmin Nuvi 765T compatible with the cardo scala rider? Thanks.

I was looking at that. I think the bluetooth for that gps is only associated with a cell phone. But, the nuvi 765T has an earphone jack that could probably be connected to the cardo scala to listen to the gps directions.

Just Doo Me
05-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I have the nuvi 750 and just recently got the q2, you can listen to the gps by way of the fm transmitter on the nuvi and the fm receiver in the q2 for directions or your music .I'm not sure about the bluetooth as my 750 does not have it.

Trickie Dick
05-11-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't know about the Q2 but it is NOT compatible with the G4. I had the 765t when I got the G4 and for some reason, it paired once but after that, no deal. I bite the bullet and got a 660 Zumo and I love it. I wish I had waited until now to get since there is a $100 rebate. The screen is much more readable in the sunlight than the 765T. (which I will continue to use in my car)
BTW, the mounts for car and motorcycle come with the zumo.

BillGargan
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
The 765T and the Zumo 660 both use the same fundamental operating system -- I have both.

I have my Zumo set up so it pairs with my Droid and with a Scala Q2. I have confirmed with callers that this setup is excellent quality audio when I speak with them on the Droid thru the Zumo and then the headset -- even when I am moving.

It was a bit fussy at first. I think Garmin suggests pairing the Q2 first with the Audio BlueTooth setting and then the phone with the Phone BlueTooth setting. Once I did this, they re-pair (hmmm, looks like a pun here) every time now.

People seem a bit weirded out when they walk up to me when I am stopped and have my helmet on and I am having a phone conversation. They probably think this weird guy on this weird machine is talking to himself!

patches
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I just got this from support..having the same problem at this time, wierd, are you reading my email or what, the key part below, my garmin is setup to passcode 1234 and NOT 0000. I have not played with it a ton but plan to next week while I am off.

Thank you for contacting the Cardo Systems Support Center.
We have not specifically tested all of the GPS systems on the market. However, the Scala Rider line of headsets is compatible with:

1) any GPS system that supports the Headset/Hands-free Bluetooth profile
2) any GPS that accepts (0000) as its passkey

The features and abilities that are able to be performed may vary depending on the make and model of your GPS.

The GPS navigation must have the Bluetooth Hands-free gateway protocol.

Known Compatible GPS units with Cardo Headsets:
TOMTOM Rider 2nd Edition
Garmin Zumo 550 and 660

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

wyliec
05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
The 765T and the Zumo 660 both use the same fundamental operating system -- I have both.

I have my Zumo set up so it pairs with my Droid and with a Scala Q2. I have confirmed with callers that this setup is excellent quality audio when I speak with them on the Droid thru the Zumo and then the headset -- even when I am moving.

It was a bit fussy at first. I think Garmin suggests pairing the Q2 first with the Audio BlueTooth setting and then the phone with the Phone BlueTooth setting. Once I did this, they re-pair (hmmm, looks like a pun here) every time now.

People seem a bit weirded out when they walk up to me when I am stopped and have my helmet on and I am having a phone conversation. They probably think this weird guy on this weird machine is talking to himself!

Are you saying the scala q2 will connect with the 765t bluetooth and you are able to listen to the directions from the 765t? Or, are you just saying that the phone works through the 765t and the scala q2? I'm waiting for my 765t to arrive.

Right now I use the sacal q2 with my verizon bluetooth phone and it works great. What benefit is it to put the gps into the loop to talk on the cell phone?

BillGargan
05-11-2010, 04:28 PM
As I remember, when I connected the Scala it did not require any entry for a password but I did need to put in a password for my Droid.

I believe that the secret is to hook up the Audio connection before you put in a phone connection.

BillGargan
05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I can hear directions AND the phone on the Scala. Keep in mind I am using the GPS as the center point. I am not connecting the Scala to the phone, only to the GPS along with the phone to the GPS. The GPS is the traffic cop.

Are you saying the scala q2 will connect with the 765t bluetooth and you are able to listen to the directions from the 765t? Or, are you just saying that the phone works through the 765t and the scala q2? I'm waiting for my 765t to arrive.

Right now I use the sacal q2 with my verizon bluetooth phone and it works great. What benefit is it to put the gps into the loop to talk on the cell phone?

EVE
05-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the info. I just want to make sure.... the 765T will work with my Q2. I was getting confused with the whole bluetooth vs A2DP thing. why can't these things be easy.

EVE
05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I can hear directions AND the phone on the Scala. Keep in mind I am using the GPS as the center point. I am not connecting the Scala to the phone, only to the GPS along with the phone to the GPS. The GPS is the traffic cop.

I didn't think the 765T could connect to a phone. Online it says bluetooth is for headset only. I am so confused:gaah:

wyliec
05-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Bill,

If I'm understanding you correctly, I should sync the scala q2 to the 765t first (for audio instructions) and then sync the cell phone to the 765t. Does that sound correct; I'm kind of thick today.

Thanks

EVE
05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Bill,

If I'm understanding you correctly, I should sync the scala q2 to the 765t first (for audio instructions) and then sync the cell phone to the 765t. Does that sound correct; I'm kind of thick today.

Thanks

I think you and I are in the same boat. I am trying to figure out the sequence too.

patches
05-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Please do let me know if you get this to work. As I understand:

Turn off all BT equiptment around you.
Turn on Q2
Turn on GPS
Set Q2 in pairing mode
Set GPS in pairing mode
-->this is where I can't get past
GPS will find Q2 but then ask to enter 1234 as the passcode

Once paired, set Q2 back in pairing mode
Set phone in pairing mode
Phone will find GPS->enter 1234 into phone
Pairing completed

I can easly get my phone to pair with the GPS but that does me no good as I can't see it on the bike unless I pull it out. It will do an outbound call from the GPS which is nice but again, the Q2 voice commmands do this just fine now.

So at this point, I can only pair the GPS to my phone. My phone then can't use the Q2 for outbound/inbound calls.

If you got this to work, let me know. I am a bit of a computer guy and there is a way to change the passcode on the GPS but it is a bit of a hack that will take a little time. If I get it working, I will share.

wyliec
05-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Turn on Q2
Turn on GPS
Set Q2 in pairing mode
Set GPS in pairing mode

Pairing completed

I can easly get my phone to pair with the GPS but that does me no good as I can't see it on the bike unless I pull it out. It will do an outbound call from the GPS which is nice but again, the Q2 voice commmands do this just fine now.

So at this point, I can only pair the GPS to my phone. My phone then can't use the Q2 for outbound/inbound calls.

If you got this to work, let me know. I am a bit of a computer guy and there is a way to change the passcode on the GPS but it is a bit of a hack that will take a little time. If I get it working, I will share.

That doesn't match Bill's instructions. Now I'm really confused. I should have the 765t today. If worse comes to worse, I'll connect the gps headphone jack to the scala Q2.

BillGargan
05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Garmin suggests that you remove all BT devices from the GPS settings.

Then pair the Q2. It will not ask for a passcode -- obviously there is no way to enter one.

Once the Q2 is working, then pair your phone.

If the phone offers the option, be sure to set it to reconnect automatically.

Again today. I turned on my GPS and it hooked into my phone. Then I turned on the Q2 and it connected. All working nicey nicey!

That doesn't match Bill's instructions. Now I'm really confused. I should have the 765t today. If worse comes to worse, I'll connect the gps headphone jack to the scala Q2.

wyliec
05-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Turn on Q2
Turn on GPS
Set Q2 in pairing mode
Set GPS in pairing mode

Pairing completed

Patches,

I received my nuvi 765t today. I tried pairing it a number of times. The gps recognizes the Q2 but it fails to connect. The gps also shows the code to be 0000, which is what the Q2 is.

I guess I'll stick to the headphone jack on my trip to Boston this weekend. I'm not going to go with the FM because I'll be traveling a distance that will probably require to change the channel a number of times.

I'm not sure if anyone other than Bill has had luck pairing the 765t to a Q2.