PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Heat

Odie
05-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I searched through the posts and could not find anything addressing this issue.
I just traded in my Harley for a ’09 SM5 and don’t regret it. However I’m having an issue with unbearable heat on the right foot. I easily put 20,000 miles a year on my bikes but with this heat I’d be lucky to put 200 miles a year on my SpYder.
It might be the radiator but BRP looks like they designed the front end to redirect the heat flow away from the foot. It could also be the header pipe directly under the right foot but I would think that during forward movement the wind flow would pull the heat away from the foot.
I’m thinking of wrapping the header pipe for heat relief but I really think the problem is coming from the radiator. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I do wear riding boots, and have also tried other footwear to no avail. I know I live in Arizona, and ye it’s hot, but this issue is there even during night rides when the temps are in the 60’s. Any help would be appreciated. :ani29:

docdoru
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
welcome and :congrats: for your Sporty SM5 :thumbup:
Replace the Y gaskets.

fastfraser
05-09-2010, 12:49 PM
welcome:congrats::spyder2: On.

One of the the few negatives is the heat on the right side. Some have put a switch on the fan to turn it on when the :spyder2: gets hot. There are numerous posts on this site about the heat build up. Also one of the members has a air dam that fits around the fan to direct air through the fan and not around . I have herd good things about this and have ordered one, waiting on its arrival.

Odie
05-09-2010, 12:59 PM

One of the the few negatives is the heat on the right side. Some have put a switch on the fan to turn it on when the :spyder2: gets hot. There are numerous posts on this site about the heat build up. Also one of the members has a air dam that fits around the fan to direct air through the fan and not around . I have herd good things about this and have ordered one, waiting on its arrival.

What company did you order it from? I would like to check this product out. Thanks.:ani29:

p.s. I do love my spyder.

Odie
05-09-2010, 01:01 PM
welcome and :congrats: for your Sporty SM5 :thumbup:
Replace the Y gaskets.

I am not familiar with 'Y' gaskets.

bandwagon
05-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I would like some info as well on the purchasing of this air dam. Lately I feel like a roasted drum stick. Thanks

effgjamis
05-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Iive this line a shot... I have the MAD and live in Ll. Works for me..

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18986

Odie
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Iive this line a shot... I have the MAD and live in Ll. Works for me..

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18986

Thanks, Just emailed Harvey. Hope this helps my foot from burning off. Makes me not want to ride the SpYder.

mrb
05-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Just emailed Harvey. Hope this helps my foot from burning off. Makes me not want to ride the SpYder.
The "missing air dam" is a great idea but I cannot see that fixing the hot right foot issue at all.
I am extremely satisfied with my fix.
I found the problem pretty much eliminated by sticking a bit of thin plastic (notenbook cover) onto the scoop to close up the 25mm gap between the existing scoop and the body - as below. The hot air shooting through here seemed to be what was cooking my right foot. I did read about this on a US forum but cannot find the thread now. 2 screws and some silicone attached the red notebook cover, trimmed to suit.
No more hot right foot - none at all.

http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/scoop.jpg

jabba11
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
You are correct the MAD really isnt for the right foot issue its just to make the bike more efficient at cooling period (whcih may help a little bit). I myself havent really had any issues with my right foot but if you have floorboards I can defintely see it being a problem and yes making that addition to the scoop should dfeintely help. The Y gaskets may be a probelm as well. Its really just a realitively flawed design but thathot air has to go somewhere. Some people say they take off the lower splash guards too and that helps but as I dont have the problme I havent done that. I didbuy the MAD and installed it and it does keep the bike cooler.

Odie
05-09-2010, 06:00 PM
@ MRB and Jabba
I see what you guys are reffering to. There is a thin gap allowing air flow through. I might take off the lower splash gaurd and see what it looks like without it. I'm curious if it would make an eye sore. If not this might be the way to go. If that doesn't work then MRB's idea of blocking that flow of hot air would be a great idea. Thanks for the input guys. Keep more ideas flowing. :thumbup:

boborgera
05-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I am not familiar with 'Y' gaskets.

welcome
The Y gaskets are at the spot where the upper exhaust pipes connect to the lower exhaust ''Y'' pipes, But at your low mileage they shouldn't be the heat source. That said if they did fail that would be a heat source, and also a noise source.

Odie
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
welcome
The Y gaskets are at the spot where the upper exhaust pipes connect to the lower exhaust ''Y'' pipes, But at your low mileage they shouldn't be the heat source. That said if they did fail that would be a heat source, and also a noise source.

I've had my fair share with exhaust leaks, noisy + loss of horses = sux.
I have a lot to learn about these SpYders. I got tired of wrenching on HD.

horse171
06-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi...had same problem....bought some asbestos muffler tape and covered both pipes. Helped a bit...bought it at napa...supposed to improve gas millage as well...my right side was unbearable.

RAL
06-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi...had same problem....bought some asbestos muffler tape and covered both pipes. Helped a bit...bought it at napa...supposed to improve gas millage as well...my right side was unbearable.
? How would insulation on the exhaust pipe help mileage? Can not see how but hey you should try to learn something new everyday.

RAL

Tom in NM
06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I searched through the posts and could not find anything addressing this issue.
I just traded in my Harley for a ’09 SM5 and don’t regret it. However I’m having an issue with unbearable heat on the right foot. I easily put 20,000 miles a year on my bikes but with this heat I’d be lucky to put 200 miles a year on my SpYder.
It might be the radiator but BRP looks like they designed the front end to redirect the heat flow away from the foot. It could also be the header pipe directly under the right foot but I would think that during forward movement the wind flow would pull the heat away from the foot.

Here is a link to fixing/replacing the Y gasket. WackyDan did a great job on this: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19691

Here is a link on what I did to divert most of the heat off my right foot: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19180

Out here in the Southwest, this is a problem you need to address. With summer temps in the 100s, the heat buildup is "foot-cookin-hot". The insulation I put in takes care of most of it. But if the sun is hitting my right foot - well, living out here, you know. I am probably going to "improve" the seal on the air-dam, but so far, just this little bit has worked fine since last summer.

As the summer takes hold, you will see a bunch of posts on this hot foot issue from the riders "back East" - as their temps get to triple digits.

I still have not taken off my splash guard - which should also help dissipate a bunch of the heat.

Tom

wexgary
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
had similar problem..live in Las Vegas, so 110 is normal, don't need any additional heat..local shop, has created a heat deflector that eliminates about 85% of problem...call Rick at Trike Toys in Las Vegas (Henderson), nv. (702)856-0308

SpyderWolf
06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
? How would insulation on the exhaust pipe help mileage? Can not see how but hey you should try to learn something new everyday.

RAL

The manufacturers of the tape claim that by moving the exhaust gases toward the muffler faster it creates better running conditions. They state this may lead to more horsepower and increased mileage as well. I suppose the only real way to find out would be to try it. I am planning on wrapping ours in the near future as well.

krb1945
06-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Be sure to use the goldwing exhuast gaskets for replacements. They work better and last longer. I also wrapped the headers all the way back to y-gasket clamps. That seems to keep the heat in the pipe by 400 to 600 degrees depending on the area on the pipe check. We have noticed a big difference in the temp in the saddle and around our legs. I used a 50' Long x 2" wide roll on each machine. Ken krb1945

SpyderWolf
06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I used a 50' Long x 2" wide roll on each machine.

Thanks Ken, that was one of the things I was still trying to figure out as well. :thumbup:

jnt
06-12-2010, 03:15 PM
This is what we did . . .
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5571&highlight=radiator+heat

tho I used a piece of plastic I think it was an old cheap cutting board. It funnels the air out the side vent. Later we added a 2nd fan attached to the web on the side panel. Sorry - can't find that post.

mtdoragary
09-02-2010, 08:03 PM

I've never had to lay a wrench on my Road King, except to change the oil and a tire. I'm constantly wrenching the Spyder. But then, I LIKE wrenching!

mtdoragary
09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
The manufacturers of the tape claim that by moving the exhaust gases toward the muffler faster it creates better running conditions. They state this may lead to more horsepower and increased mileage as well. I suppose the only real way to find out would be to try it. I am planning on wrapping ours in the near future as well.
What they say is correct. When gases cool they get heavier and don't flow as freely. Ceramic coating works better and lasts longer than wrapping though. I ceramic coated the pipes on most of my bikes, and will do so on the Spyder.

RoadHammer
09-02-2010, 08:26 PM
You'll be wrenching more on this just so you know, enjoy the ride, it can be a blast sometimes.

SethO
09-02-2010, 09:08 PM
got the MAD back in cuba, just orderd the other two pieces so I do not torch my leg again.

Thanks to harvey for all the new products, Now I got another product to test.

Studybaker Bob
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I've been complaining about the hot feet situation for a long time now. If you ride your spyder for 300 to 600 miles per day in hot weathe you will get blisters on the top of your feet. Many people have complained & CAN AM BRP want to take the ostrich position by putting their head in the sand. Me & others have complained about the rotten stock seats. We've owned our early 2008 can am spyder for about 1 & 1/2 years and about 10,000 miles, in that time the spyder has been in the shop about as many days as its been out. We love our spyder but are learning to hate it. We are very unhappy campers & we can not understand why BRP CAN AM can not fix the known problems their customers are having. Our CAN AM Spyder ruined our dream vacation to Sedona, AZ, about 1800 miles one way. That was 1800 miles of miserable & painful riding with hot feet with blisters on the top & aching, painful butts. It broke down in Sedona, AZ with numerous reacurring electrial problems. We rented a car to get home. Its been in the shop now for a little over two months. We are seriously thinking of trading it in for a shake, rattle & roll harley davidson!

Pincushion
09-03-2010, 12:46 AM
I too was getting a lot of heat on my left foot and leg .....Replaced the Y gaskets and problem solved!:2thumbs:

.....one of the gaskets was completely gone....hot exhaust was just pouring out the clamp.....:gaah:

BRP has a new Y gasket (not sure what's new about it) I'm told they will last longer than the original part. Mine first set lasted about 10K, we'll see how long this set lasts.

SpyderWolf
09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
What they say is correct. When gases cool they get heavier and don't flow as freely. Ceramic coating works better and lasts longer than wrapping though. I ceramic coated the pipes on most of my bikes, and will do so on the Spyder.

Mine are wrapped now, and the Spyder is performing extremely well and running much cooler. I am also thinking of looking into the ceramic coating deal later on as well.

wexgary
09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
just had spyderpops system installed on my 09 rs and WOW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE..NO MORE HOT FOOT! it does everything it promises...finally an answer to the right side heat problem...WAY TO GO POPS!!!

qasamm
09-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Well from what I've seen recently Can-am has done 2 things to address the issue for future Ryders- I have seen posts about new exhaust gaskets since the originals are junk and disintegrate way to easily.

Second, if you look at the pics of the 2011 models they have redesigned the radiator panel so it vents away from your leg. I bet there are other changes under the panels we have yet to see such as better heat shielding and channeling of the air.

I bet we'll see some of pops innovation in there too! They may not give a nod to the pops but I want to do that here- he's done more to address the excessive heat issue for us early adopters and gets my great big THANKS!

SpyderWolf
09-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Well from what I've seen recently Can-am has done 2 things to address the issue for future Ryders- I have seen posts about new exhaust gaskets since the originals are junk and disintegrate way to easily.

Second, if you look at the pics of the 2011 models they have redesigned the radiator panel so it vents away from your leg. I bet there are other changes under the panels we have yet to see such as better heat shielding and channeling of the air.

I bet we'll see some of pops innovation in there too! They may not give a nod to the pops but I want to do that here- he's done more to address the excessive heat issue for us early adopters and gets my great big THANKS!

:agree: :clap: :clap:

mtdoragary
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM

I agree; my Pops kit made a big difference, but wife still feels the heat. In Florida, heat is a BIG thing!

mtdoragary
09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
We went on a 150 mile ride yesterday. I rode the Harley and my wife rode the Spyder. Her right foot was burning up, so I left the Harley at a friend's house in Daytona , and rode the Spyder home two-up. I did not notice excess heat from the Spyder, but I did notice what sounds like a wrist pin knock.