PDA

View Full Version : Service bulletins issued

2manycars
05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I picked my RT-S up last Monday May 3. While go over (briefly) the bike, the automatic trunk opener did not work-they had to bend a lever on the micro switch to get it to function. As I have posted before, I got less than 10 miles from the dealer when low power error lights started. I pulled into a parking lot to call the dealer, and found there was not enough power to restart and go back to the dealer. I was a bit apprehensive about the RT when I was told before I rode off that they had t change the battery because they could not start it it before I picked it up. They diagnosed the problem and told me they "forgot to hook up a ground wire so the battery was not charging." I got home and found the right fog lamp did not function. THan on Friday it started periodically shuddering than "dieing," when I came to complete stop.

I have an appointment to bring it in (they will not pick it up), on Wednesday night to correct these issues as well as install the GPS and XM unit. My question is, WAS A PDI EVER PERFORMED ON THE BIKE? Given what I have seen I do not think it ever was. I also was told about a service bulletin that they claim they received right after I picked up the RT. I printed it out, and see it is dated March 26th! Is there a list of service bulletins that have been issued for this year that I can bring to their attention? The manufacture date is 2/2010, and the serie ? is A4AE one listed on the bulletin 2010-4.

I want to make sure they do a PDI now if one was nto done last week as it should have been.

The people on this board have been great and the information very helpful.

murphybrown
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I picked my RT-S up last Monday May 3. While go over (briefly) the bike, the automatic trunk opener did not work-they had to bend a lever on the micro switch to get it to function. As I have posted before, I got less than 10 miles from the dealer when low power error lights started. I pulled into a parking lot to call the dealer, and found there was not enough power to restart and go back to the dealer. I was a bit apprehensive about the RT when I was told before I rode off that they had t change the battery because they could not start it it before I picked it up. They diagnosed the problem and told me they "forgot to hook up a ground wire so the battery was not charging." I got home and found the right fog lamp did not function. THan on Friday it started periodically shuddering than "dieing," when I came to complete stop.

I have an appointment to bring it in (they will not pick it up), on Wednesday night to correct these issues as well as install the GPS and XM unit. My question is, WAS A PDI EVER PERFORMED ON THE BIKE? Given what I have seen I do not think it ever was. I also was told about a service bulletin that they claim they received right after I picked up the RT. I printed it out, and see it is dated March 26th! Is there a list of service bulletins that have been issued for this year that I can bring to their attention? The manufacture date is 2/2010, and the serie ? is A4AE one listed on the bulletin 2010-4.

I want to make sure they do a PDI now if one was nto done last week as it should have been.

The people on this board have been great and the information very helpful.

Please define PDI...my assumption is something like Preliminary Dealer Inspection...how close is that guess???

Vordak
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
As with a lot of problems people have had, most of them have been caused by a poor dealer who did not do a PDI or did a crappy job at it.

I would not go to that dealer again, ever. My SE5 was purchased at Canada's top dealer and it runs flawlessly. They set it up, gave me a one hour course on all its features and even showed me how to remove the tupperware properly and reinstall it.

The bike is perfect.

I am sorry you are having problems, but it sure seems like it's a dealer problem rather than a BRP one. In fact, if BRP reads this, they would be pissed a the dealer for representing the brand so poorly.

V.

docdoru
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Please define PDI...my assumption is something like Preliminary Dealer Inspection...how close is that guess???
Pre Delivery Inspection :D

jabba11
05-09-2010, 10:46 AM
If your state allows I would take i back and get my money back...period. Then try another dealer

2manycars
05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I will se what happens from my letter, but among other things it mentions their unwillingness to pick up and redeliver the RT since it is a defect and not a regular service.

There are three other dealers not quite as far as mine, but the place I bought mine had such a terrific reputation from others who have gone there that I know that i made the longer ride.

I teach English, and I should have spelled out Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) in my post. I assumed it was like television (TV) and was in common usage.

Any way thanks for the replies and if anyone knows of any other service bulletins that might address the stalling when I stop I would love to know about them.

I do wonder why the stalling only happens periodically?

Thanks for everyone's support.

mdminc
05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with Vordak (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=4898). Unfortunately much of the troubles simply come from a poor dealership. Hope all works out.

2manycars
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I love the Spyder, and am sure it will be worked out, however I hope it does not sit at the dealer for a long time because a part is back ordered or the like.

After reading some posts under RT hop talk, it sounds more like the centrifugal(?) clutch, rather than the software update not being done. If that is the problem I imagine I am looking at at least two weeks in the shop. The plan was to drop it Wednesday night and pick it up Saturday morning. During this time I figured they would install both the XM and GPS units, do the 600 mile service (though given the high winds and expected weather early next week, I will have a tough time putting an additional 350 miles on the RT.

I appreciate the support.