PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS

fastfraser
05-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Garmin has a mail-in rebate of $100 on any Zumo 220,550,660 or 665 bought before July 4/10. Just bought the Zumo 550 with XM.

Questions
05-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Are U going to install the GPS on your Spyder?

I thought the price of the GPS when I was purchasing my Spyders was absolute robbery so I figured I'd just take my Garmin Nuvi and stick it on my console with its suction cup mount. I did it and it works awesome. I am worried that one day the suction cup will fail and my Nuvi will splatter on the highway, especially becouse here in the VA-MD-Wash. DC area the roads are the worst! Not like our beautiful smooth roads in FL. Hopefully I will get stationed back at MacDill AFB.

Jornie1
05-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't think Nuvi's are waterproof...like the Zumo 550 - 660's are, and you know it's going to rain on you out there somewhere!! There are ways around the BRP GPS outlandish prices for the 660...Len

I thought the price of the GPS when I was purchasing my Spyders was absolute robbery so I figured I'd just take my Garmin Nuvi and stick it on my console with its suction cup mount. I did it and it works awesome. I am worried that one day the suction cup will fail and my Nuvi will splatter on the highway, especially becouse here in the VA-MD-Wash. DC area the roads are the worst! Not like our beautiful smooth roads in FL. Hopefully I will get stationed back at MacDill AFB.

bruceofthebronx
05-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Put the Nuvi in an Aquabox & Ram mount

fastfraser
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Spyder508;206277]Are U going to install the GPS on your Spyder?

:2thumbs: THe 550 Zumo is for the :spyder2: already have a ram mount attatched to my NMN Risers.

fastfraser
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't think Nuvi's are waterproof...like the Zumo 550 - 660's are, and you know it's going to rain on you out there somewhere!! There are ways around the BRP GPS outlandish prices for the 660...Len

I have the Nuvi now and for sure isn't water proof as well mine isn't wired to the :spyder2:so on a long trip I run out of juice and have to recharge. The Zumo will be wired to the :spyder2: with a rechargeable battery so I can take it in and program a route off the computer.

Star Cruiser
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM

You can get a "RAM" Mount for your Nuvi (or most other Garmins).
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/GPSMounts/tabid/135/Default.aspx

I have one for my GPS V (really old but still works well) the Ram mount is SUPER. You won't worry about loosing your NUVI. A lot of people cover it with a ZIP LOC bag or shower cap. I usually just take it off and put it in the saddlebag until the rain stops. It's not hard to remember the next few turns. (I just pretend that I checked out a map and got back on the bike - LOL)

NorthStar
05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I run a Nuvi 255W ($149.00) on my RT. Mounted it with a RAM mount on one of the handlebar bolts and hard wired it to my switched fuse block in the front trunk using a Gilsson Bare Wire GPS transformer that I purchased from GPS City. The wire is approximately 6 feet long.
Like others, I put a zip lock bag over it when it rains or simply remove it from the cradle and shove it in the glove compartment until the rain stops. I do like the shower cap idea and will see if that works as a rain cover.

ataDude
05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't think Nuvi's are waterproof...

I have the Nuvi now and for sure isn't water proof...

Well, not quite... I have a smaller screen Nuvi 550 on the Triumph and it is waterproof AND "motorcycle friendly". It may be the only Nuvi that's waterproof but...

For less than $250, it doesn't do BlueTooth, MP3s or anything special... just GPS. I do have a Nuvi 660 in my car with all of the goodies.

Clicky: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442

https://static.garmincdn.com/en/products/010-00700-01/g/cf-lg.jpg

Firefly
05-09-2010, 05:52 PM

It's not IF it will come undone and take a road bounce--- it's WHEN. Trust me on this one......;)

Get some ram mounts and fix it on there good.:thumbup:

powerbyaj
05-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Waterproof GPS Case & RAM Motorcycle Mount for Garmin (http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterproof-GPS-Case-RAM-Motorcycle-Mount-Garmin-/360254285450?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e0d4268a)

Dochands
05-10-2010, 09:35 AM
http://garmin.blogs.com/files/zumo_rebate.pdf

Dochands
05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
I have a 660 and if I update to the 665 I'll offer it for sale here first. :2thumbs:

BillGargan
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
For new RT buyers that choose to get the integrated 660, I see no exceptions on the rebate form. So, I think y'all can get the $100 rebate for the direct BRP purchase.

bone crusher
05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
For new RT buyers that choose to get the integrated 660, I see no exceptions on the rebate form. So, I think y'all can get the $100 rebate for the direct BRP purchase.

direct brp purchase is significantly more...you can go to amazon and get the 660 for almost half the price of the brp offering...before the rebate...

Aussie spyder
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
i use the nuvi 500, it is waterproof.

greetings from down under.

henk

BillGargan
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Not the same! Not integrated on the RT! Not an issue otherwise. Your call!

direct brp purchase is significantly more...you can go to amazon and get the 660 for almost half the price of the brp offering...before the rebate...

bone crusher
05-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Not the same! Not integrated on the RT! Not an issue otherwise. Your call!

Bill,

You didn't strike me as a guy who was so concerned with aesthetics! :D:D

BillGargan
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Aesthetics -- no, except in photography. Except that of me . . .

But, when it comes to techie stuff, I want it all -- and want it all to work together.

If I trade up to an RT in the next year or two I WILL suffer the +$500 cost of the integrated GPS rather than one that works just as good but is not integrated.

Right now my Droid, my Zumo 660 and my Scala Q2 are playing nice with each other -- and that is fine on THIS Spyder.

Bill,

You didn't strike me as a guy who was so concerned with aesthetics! :D:D

Dochands
05-12-2010, 10:08 AM
The 665 has XM music which is the only reason I might upgrade. My limited tunes loaded in the 660 got old after a couple thousand miles.

My greatest wish is that Garmin lets phones not only upload call data but also links to music and Pandora. I can dream....

BillGargan
05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
That is great info. What it suggests for me is that if/when I trade for an RT I will be able to uninstall the Zumo 660 from my current machine and have the dealer install it in the RT. Love it!

Bill, Just FYI----the $60 cable that is NOT included in a NON-BRP 660 Zumo is available from BRP----thus integrating it-------and saving AT LEAST $500 big ones from BRP. I just want to be clear on that point. I bought the the ZUMO for $630 and added the $60 cable from BRP and all is integrated as BRP's set---------OH----I did not get the nice BRP mount------but for $500 I will live with a RAM mount for $48. Hope this helps anyone. :2thumbs:

Clicker1944
05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Does the ram mount work on an RS with stock handlebars? Only a little bit of handlebar shows as you know...just wondering before I make a purchase.

fastfraser
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
On one side their is a large black spacer, just trim it to add a u bolt ram mount or if you have a clutch there is a ram mount that will bolt on the clutch reservoir . The Dia. of the handle bars is 7/8.

NancysToy
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Does the ram mount work on an RS with stock handlebars? Only a little bit of handlebar shows as you know...just wondering before I make a purchase.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17876&highlight=simple