PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Talbot Powersports in Easton, MD

bone crusher
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Today I took my bike in for maintenance, 2nd update, parking brake fix, hard bag installation, comfort seat, belt tension fix, and while there, they offered to install Harvey's air dam for me...

I was there all day as they worked and the end product is great. The bike runs great, and the comfort seat is 1000% better than stock. I didn't like the stock seat as I'd slide on it and it would inevitably crush my manhood. The comfort seat is softer and simply put, more comfortable...I really like the change.

The hard bags are awesome! The rear turn signal lights are relocated and this is a good thing as I have flags on the back of my bike...they're now up and out of the way a little more. The bags are easy to use, easy to remove, and look great...they match perfectly. Even removal of the outer bracket is a breeze with the special included tool!

The air dam is working...I rode home at good highway speeds and the bike NEVER went above 3 bars...on the way out, it was on 4 or 3...plus, it was 8am when I went out, and late afternoon when I came back...so, even with warmer temps, the bike ran cool.

The second update seems to have gone well. My ride is 70 miles and the bike performed quite well. I did not turn the JB back on as I was in a rush to get home.

The tension was further reduced to around 600...this is where it will stay. I noticed the bike was smoother, with less vibration, except around 70mph, where it seemed to vibrate more...once a little faster, it settled down nicely again...it literally seemed that between 66 and 71 that it vibrated more...odd...

When I fill the tank, I'll turn on the JB and figure out where I should be with the newest update done...I hope I can get the bike up to the 33mpg level again with great performance...

The parking brake was the only 'whoopsie'. The service manager, Heather, forgot to order the parking brake parts...no problem...THEY TOOK THE PARTS OFF OF ONE OF THEIR DEMOS...you want customer service, Talbot delivers. Craig, the main Spyder tech also just got back from 3 days in Atlanta...he was in the Spyder service class and this is apparently required to maintain platinum Can-Am status.

If you are going to get a spyder or know of someone who is going to get one, have them talk to Lisa at Talbot Powersports. They are a family-run PLATINUM Can-Am dealer and they deserve your business.

xpeschon
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Thats a great write up.. I will tell you your comment about this:

They are a family-run PLATINUM Can-Am dealer and they deserve your business.

That is the best kind to have, I must state that in Cuba they are the exact same way,, its all about running a business like you would your own family and it sounds like like you witnessed a GREAT experience and like wise same here in Cuba, Isn't it GREAT when everything comes together.. Ride safe brother..

Joe
(X)

bone crusher
05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Thats a great write up.. I will tell you your comment about this:

They are a family-run PLATINUM Can-Am dealer and they deserve your business.

That is the best kind to have, I must state that in Cuba they are the exact same way,, its all about running a business like you would your own family and it sounds like like you witnessed a GREAT experience and like wise same here in Cuba, Isn't it GREAT when everything comes together.. Ride safe brother..

Joe
(X)

Joe,

We keep hearing about the bad experiences too many of us have so it's important to balance those out with some good ones. I've been reading about how great Cuba is, but of course we can't all get there...it's imporant to have a network of dealers like Cuba that are accessible to us all over the country. Of course, all dealers should be top-notch, but unfortunately, they're not. If a dealership tries, it goes a far way...we should look after each other and try to send new spyderlovers to great dealerships so that they can have great experiences...

BeRight
05-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I have also used Talbot Powersports in Easton, MD, thanks to BC recommendation and I agree they are the best of the best.:2thumbs::D

Firefly
05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Glad you got everything done without incident. You'll love those bags. I put a little bit of synthetic grease on the inner bracket holes (when you have the brackets removed with the special tool - the 3 holes that the 1/2 turn locks snap into).. just dabbed some on them as they seem to accumulate rust.

Other than that--- they've been fantastic.

Glad to hear of dealers that go above and beyond. I need to get in to mine to have a few things done too---- hope it goes as well as yours!

Bill Soderlin
05-09-2010, 04:33 AM
:2thumbs: I drive by two other dealers and travel 75 miles each way but I would not go to any other dealer. It like visiting old friends that know thier stuff.

bone crusher
05-09-2010, 05:04 AM
I have also used Talbot Powersports in Easton, MD, thanks to BC recommendation and I agree they are the best of the best.:2thumbs::D

We should ride together some time! Not many Marylanders around here...Donk is one...but not sure there are more than a few of us...:sour:

bone crusher
05-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Glad you got everything done without incident. You'll love those bags. I put a little bit of synthetic grease on the inner bracket holes (when you have the brackets removed with the special tool - the 3 holes that the 1/2 turn locks snap into).. just dabbed some on them as they seem to accumulate rust.

Other than that--- they've been fantastic.

Glad to hear of dealers that go above and beyond. I need to get in to mine to have a few things done too---- hope it goes as well as yours!

Fire,

So, you just take some synthetic grease and apply all the way in?...I'm surprised that anything would rust on them but I just got them, so any pointer is great!...they look and feel very well made...the ease of use of both the bags and outer brackets is great...just wish they made them with matching panels so I could've saved the $110.00 on that...no biggie...these bags are money well-spent...

Firefly
05-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Fire,

So, you just take some synthetic grease and apply all the way in?...I'm surprised that anything would rust on them but I just got them, so any pointer is great!...they look and feel very well made...the ease of use of both the bags and outer brackets is great...just wish they made them with matching panels so I could've saved the $110.00 on that...no biggie...these bags are money well-spent...

Just put some on the 'tips' that turn to lock the rack to the bike.....

bone crusher
05-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Just put some on the 'tips' that turn to lock the rack to the bike.....

Got it...

Motza
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Bones lets see a photo of your new bags... :yikes:

bone crusher
05-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Bones lets see a photo of your new bags... :yikes:

Will have to take one...have them off right now as I have a loose connection with a brake light...have to get some time to figure that out. I do not believe it was caused by anyone at Talbot...more likely due to who the heck knows...didn't know it was there until the techs told me about it this weekend.

I have the triple play and ran the situation by Evan...doesn't appear to be a connection issue as the rear signals are fine...looks like what it is...left brake has something loose, somewhere...

Once fixed (could be a week before I have time to look at this as I'm quite busy during the week), I'll get a pic or two up with the bags and new comfort seat...

murphybrown
05-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Today I took my bike in for maintenance, 2nd update, parking brake fix, hard bag installation, comfort seat, belt tension fix, and while there, they offered to install Harvey's air dam for me...

I was there all day as they worked and the end product is great. The bike runs great, and the comfort seat is 1000% better than stock. I didn't like the stock seat as I'd slide on it and it would inevitably crush my manhood. The comfort seat is softer and simply put, more comfortable...I really like the change.

The hard bags are awesome! The rear turn signal lights are relocated and this is a good thing as I have flags on the back of my bike...they're now up and out of the way a little more. The bags are easy to use, easy to remove, and look great...they match perfectly. Even removal of the outer bracket is a breeze with the special included tool!

The air dam is working...I rode home at good highway speeds and the bike NEVER went above 3 bars...on the way out, it was on 4 or 3...plus, it was 8am when I went out, and late afternoon when I came back...so, even with warmer temps, the bike ran cool.

The second update seems to have gone well. My ride is 70 miles and the bike performed quite well. I did not turn the JB back on as I was in a rush to get home.

The tension was further reduced to around 600...this is where it will stay. I noticed the bike was smoother, with less vibration, except around 70mph, where it seemed to vibrate more...once a little faster, it settled down nicely again...it literally seemed that between 66 and 71 that it vibrated more...odd...

When I fill the tank, I'll turn on the JB and figure out where I should be with the newest update done...I hope I can get the bike up to the 33mpg level again with great performance...

The parking brake was the only 'whoopsie'. The service manager, Heather, forgot to order the parking brake parts...no problem...THEY TOOK THE PARTS OFF OF ONE OF THEIR DEMOS...you want customer service, Talbot delivers. Craig, the main Spyder tech also just got back from 3 days in Atlanta...he was in the Spyder service class and this is apparently required to maintain platinum Can-Am status.

If you are going to get a spyder or know of someone who is going to get one, have them talk to Lisa at Talbot Powersports. They are a family-run PLATINUM Can-Am dealer and they deserve your business.

Yes, it is wonderful when you find a dealer that understands CUSTOMER SERVICE. You reference "newest update". Please expand...is this a recall campaign or something similar? I don't pick up my new Spyder until next week and would like everything done on it before heading out on a 1400 mi trip. Thanks so much.

bone crusher
05-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Yes, it is wonderful when you find a dealer that understands CUSTOMER SERVICE. You reference "newest update". Please expand...is this a recall campaign or something similar? I don't pick up my new Spyder until next week and would like everything done on it before heading out on a 1400 mi trip. Thanks so much.

Two updates on the bike....they should both be done by now....the dealership should be very well aware....the first was a recall and HAS to be done...the second is a computer update with an update with some parts, hoses, etc...recommended that they do it...make sure they have also changed your parking brake plate...the newer design has a different configuration of the teeth so that it does not get sticky over time...the original will eventually stop working...if you're getting a 2010, you don't need to worry about the updates, as far as I know...