PDA

View Full Version : trick to removing and installing seat?

tomvolk
05-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I need some help (again!)

I have the seat off in anticipation of getting my Corbin. Now Corbin is saying another 2 weeks-- or more-- (original delivery was 2-3 weeks and it has been 3+ so far).

Need to get some miles on the RT so I decided to put the stock seat back on.

I can not figure out how to get the bolts and nut (very weird set up in my opinion) back on . Any suggestions from somebody who has done it? Do you have to take the whole rear cases/top case/bodywork of the bike off??

also--I dropped one of the bolts trying to hold it in place maunally--and it is now 'lost' in the hole by the rear (the hole I did not know was there). So I may have to do a LOT more disassembly.

Anyway--any suggestions would be appreciated.

NorthStar
05-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I feel for you. The bolts are indeed difficult to remove and reseat.

Rather than taking any tupperware off in an attempt to retrieve the missing bolt, I recommend you take your remaining bolt to a hardware store and purchase a replacement bolt. When things drop into the "great abyss" they have a funny way of staying lost. Something like the proverbial sock in the dryer.

The only "trick" I found that works for reattaching the seat and seating the bolts/spacers/nuts is to disconnect the gas shock and use a stick to prop the seat in the most upright of positions so that you can work on inserting the bolt through the spacers and screw into the nut. I found a pair of long needle nose pliers assisted me in holding the nut in place to allow me to screw the bolt into it. I also had an air ratchet which made the job a tad easier.

There was a thread pertaining to the Utopia Backrest install that I believe had some other tricks to help in putting the seat back on. Good luck.

tomvolk
05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
My son and his wife came over and got drafted to help. Daughter in Law has really small hands and that allowed her to retieve the bolt!! Also --with two people --one with small hands---we got the seat bolts in.

Seat removal should not require 2 people and a VERY small set of hands.

thanks for the help.

It will be interesting to put the Corbin on!

Ronsam
05-08-2010, 06:42 PM
It is very easy to install the seat

First get a small magnet to retrieve your bolts

Then plug the holes in the area with paper towel

Use your magnet to slide your bolts in. Do not forget your spacer ( tube )

Use extension with a swivel socket and a wrench

Do not tight the bolts and nuts too much

Adjust your seat first and then tight the bolts and nuts after, and remove
the paper towel

Install your cylinder

This is only a 5 to 10 min job

:2thumbs:

KNIGHTRIDER
05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Actually it's quite easy to install the bolts if you close the seat (make sure it is latched). Pull the leather forward and you will see the bolt holes and the nut retainer area. Slip the nut in the nut slot and slide the bolt in and attach. Tighten the nuts and check for alignment. It may take a couple of adjustments. To remove the seat, just reach in from the top back and remove the bolts, then just lift the seat off (after removing the shock).

Jornie1
05-08-2010, 10:13 PM
No problemo.. before losening any nuts or bolts, take some masking tape and tape over the entrances to the abyss...leave a tail on the tape for easy removal after re-install. Then nothing can fall into any holes. Next, tape over caged nuts to hold them right where you need them for re-install. The bolts are accessible from above, especially if you remove the back rest. Voila' no magnets, no abyss fishing. Note:..only remove the bottom end of gas shock.

Actually it's quite easy to install the bolts if you close the seat (make sure it is latched). Pull the leather forward and you will see the bolt holes and the nut retainer area. Slip the nut in the nut slot and slide the bolt in and attach. Tighten the nuts and check for alignment. It may take a couple of adjustments. To remove the seat, just reach in from the top back and remove the bolts, then just lift the seat off (after removing the shock).

woodchuck
05-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I need some help (again!)

I have the seat off in anticipation of getting my Corbin. Now Corbin is saying another 2 weeks-- or more-- (original delivery was 2-3 weeks and it has been 3+ so far).

Need to get some miles on the RT so I decided to put the stock seat back on.

I can not figure out how to get the bolts and nut (very weird set up in my opinion) back on . Any suggestions from somebody who has done it? Do you have to take the whole rear cases/top case/bodywork of the bike off??

also--I dropped one of the bolts trying to hold it in place maunally--and it is now 'lost' in the hole by the rear (the hole I did not know was there). So I may have to do a LOT more disassembly.

Anyway--any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you go to the corbin site and look for instalation, it will show you how to put in on in detail. Good Luck:clap:

MarkLawson
05-09-2010, 07:48 AM

:agree: This is the best way to do it.

3Ryder
05-09-2010, 07:53 AM
If you go to the corbin site and look for instalation, it will show you how to put in on in detail. Good Luck:clap:

I don't see the instructions posted on their site yet. Looking in the wrong place?

jmcbow
05-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I recently had my stock seat off to install the Utopia backrest. I was warned ahead of time about the openings in the molded seat pan near the hinge. I tore off a couple small pieces of duct tape and covered the holes before beginning my disassembly. Once the backrest was installed I found it a bit of a struggle to hold the seat and try to get everything lined up again without the aluminum bushings (actually I think there just stand offs) falling out. I took a little white teflon pipe tape and wrapped it around each bushing a pushed them back into the seat base. It was just enough interference to hold them in place while I put everything back together. Over time the teflon tape will simply desinigrate from opening and closing the seat. Hope this helps.

ThreeWheels
05-14-2010, 07:06 PM

:agree: This is the best way to do it.
+2 What he says goes for me also.