PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do with tailgaters & other 'alternative' driving styles . . .

VaughnCat
05-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Okay, I've been driving for over 40 years (did i just admit that?). Sold all my motorcycles about 30 years ago and thought I was done. But after riding 2-up with Vaughn on the 1500 Suzuki last year, two months ago we test drove and bought our first Spyder RT-SE5, and I got bit! Two weeks ago we came home with the RS and I'm back on the road again . . . :2excited: loving every minute of it. . . . except for those occasional tailgaters. :yikes:

Commuting last Monday while driving my car, I had a very upsetting encounter with a tailgater, and yesterday Vaughn had a similar experience. I makes me wonder . . . . so my question is:

What do YOU do with tailgaters? How do you handle those people who don't know that a tap of the brakes means "Back Off"?

We put on a lot of miles every week on 2 lane roads with narrow shoulders and very few places to pass safely.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Cat

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't know that there is a solution, until you can get to a place to pull over and get out of the way. My solution.....I just get nervous!

DragonSpyder
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
If there is nobody in front on me I will speed up to stay away. Otherwise, I slow down to a rediculous speed until they get the idea.

dave01
05-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Although its not correct, I carry marbles. Not the large jumbo ones, just the smaller size. They make a lot of noise when they bounce off the grill of a car. These are a last resort thing though and I have only used them a few times in 20+ years.

SpyderWolf
05-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Although its not correct, I carry marbles. Not the large jumbo ones, just the smaller size. They make a lot of noise when they bounce off the grill of a car. These are a last resort thing though and I have only used them a few times in 20+ years.

Me too. If I don't have any marbles readily available, I will pick up a few pebbles at the gas station. Doesn't cause any real damage to the vehicle behind you, but it sure gets them to back off wondering what is wrong with their ride.

docdoru
05-08-2010, 01:12 PM
. . except for those occasional tailgaters ... I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Cat
I haven't seen one...:opps:

dave01
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I haven't seen one...:opps:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/SHOGUN.jpg?t=1273195730

MarkLawson
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I believe in the 2-second rule for following. Obviously, I cannot regulate the distance between my vehicle and the one behind me, so I attempt to impose the 2-second rule on them by slowing down enough, causing the time between the two vehicles to get a bit closer to the 2-second rule than it was before I slowed down.

They'll generally pass me when they get the chance.

boborgera
05-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I just drop down a gear or two with out touching my brakes,The person tailgating will think you don't have working brake lights, and back off. Most tailgaters are trying to push you to go faster,This technique will UN nerve them so they'll just pass you and go on there merry way.

Firefly
05-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Tap the breaks just so they light up... drop down a gear and PUNCH IT!

I honestly rarely have tailgaters---- of course I like to run FAST.:thumbup:

vendit
05-09-2010, 09:17 AM

SO what you really are saying is that you are losing your marbles? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

docdoru
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I like this approach........
http://wearagun.com/Gun-Pics/HONK-IF-YOU%27VE-NEVER-SEEN-A-GUN.jpg
:2thumbs::D:thumbup:

:shemademe_smilie::roflblack:

Trickie Dick
05-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Now that's a good way to get your a@@ shot off:agree:

Eddie
05-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Nice thought just be able to back it up. We lost a member on Our VTXOA forum from Florida last yr. to a tail gater. WOLFEN was his board name. He was shot and KILLED nojoke

retread
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Now that's a good way to get your a@@ shot off:agree:
Nah, she hasn't got her finger on the trigger....YET.

john

MarkZ28
05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
A good way to prevent tailgating is to go the speed limit or get out of the left lane(on a 4 lane road). That is if you go slower than the speed limit. I dont have that problem, lol, I go faster. I have done the hard on the brakes thing before and it usually works well.

RoadHammer
05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Nice thought just be able to back it up. We lost a member on Our VTXOA forum from Florida last yr. to a tail gater. WOLFEN was his board name. He was shot and KILLED nojoke
A tailgater shot him ?

Sarge707
05-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I just drop down a gear or two with out touching my brakes,The person tailgating will think you don't have working brake lights, and back off. Most tailgaters are trying to push you to go faster,:agree:This technique will UN nerve them so they'll just pass you and go on there merry way.

What if they are busy "Texting?" :dontknow:

A-Spot
06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm not a ryder yet, but if I had the choice, I think I'd go for something soft, yet massive, like rubber pieces (a cut up spare tire?). Anyway, a more decent and defensive way to go around tailgaters would be to fly a bright neon yellow flag on a pole on the rear end of your Spyder.

I'd bet there's more to that story......

Eddie, could you enlighten us? Please ...

Smylinacha
06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I will pull over, let them go around me and then I chase them and make them miserable. Then if we are at a stop sign or light I go up to their side and scream at them with every bad word I can use!:2thumbs: Makes me feel so much better:thumbup:

Okay, I've been driving for over 40 years (did i just admit that?). Sold all my motorcycles about 30 years ago and thought I was done. But after riding 2-up with Vaughn on the 1500 Suzuki last year, two months ago we test drove and bought our first Spyder RT-SE5, and I got bit! Two weeks ago we came home with the RS and I'm back on the road again . . . :2excited: loving every minute of it. . . . except for those occasional tailgaters. :yikes:

Commuting last Monday while driving my car, I had a very upsetting encounter with a tailgater, and yesterday Vaughn had a similar experience. I makes me wonder . . . . so my question is:

What do YOU do with tailgaters? How do you handle those people who don't know that a tap of the brakes means "Back Off"?

We put on a lot of miles every week on 2 lane roads with narrow shoulders and very few places to pass safely.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Cat

canchess
06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I just drop down a gear or two with out touching my brakes,The person tailgating will think you don't have working brake lights, and back off. Most tailgaters are trying to push you to go faster,This technique will UN nerve them so they'll just pass you and go on there merry way.

clever--i do that too sometimes. i like the marble or pebble thing-never heard that one before.

kytten
06-13-2010, 04:19 PM
If there is nobody in front on me I will speed up to stay away. Otherwise, I slow down to a ridiculous speed until they get the idea.

This is my method too. It's especially fun to watch them get mad when you're going 20 miles under the speed limit and they can't pass you until opposing traffic eases. Very satisfying.

pjp623
06-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Ignore them and enjoy the ride.
Tap the brakes--I added one led that will just keep flashing.
If that doesn't work and they're that :cus: up, pull over and let them go by--it's just not worth it.
I am thinking of getting one of thoe t-shirts for my wife and a sawed off 12 gage that she can sling behind her !!!! :thumbup:

CRUCIFIED
06-14-2010, 04:45 AM
Tap the breaks just so they light up... drop down a gear and PUNCH IT!

:agree:

When possible I do everything I can to stay away from other moving vehicles. Fast or slow I am not a fan of careless drivers. My friend once told me "when your riding, assume everyone one the streets is out to kill you and you'll be fine".:yikes::doorag:

effgjamis
06-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Well I just put the Flasher on... However I have only had to do that once. NEVER when following DOC.

SpyderWolf
06-14-2010, 05:41 AM
My friend once told me "when your riding, assume everyone one the streets is out to kill you and you'll be fine".:yikes::doorag:

Your friend gave you some very good advice. :thumbup:

musicarcade
06-14-2010, 11:47 AM
:agree:

When possible I do everything I can to stay away from other moving vehicles. Fast or slow I am not a fan of careless drivers. My friend once told me "when your riding, assume everyone one the streets is out to kill you and you'll be fine".:yikes::doorag:

I believe in Boston and Atlanta that assumption would be correct.:shocked:

I try to avoid traffic as much as possible myself.:doorag:

burntup
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
me personally when my wife and i both are riding she is usually the one following me and if the cars and too close to her then i slow down to get her closer to me so that they wont try crazy stuff when passing,the mountain rds here in west nc the cant pass too often but i try to make them stay safe rather than trying something stupid.

Sopher
06-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I believe in Boston and Atlanta that assumption would be correct.:shocked:

I try to avoid traffic as much as possible myself.:doorag:

Being from BOSTON, I would say I have an advantage. We can sometimes be called MA$$HOLES. Not all. Just some.:roflblack: