PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Weights

Questions
05-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Can you put handlebar weights on a RT. If so, are any type better than another. Having a problem with numbness in right hand and am wondering if this would help. Love our RT. :2thumbs::ohyea:

DynamoBT
05-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Not to say you are wrong about vibration being the cause of your numbness. I don't have an RT, so I don't know how "buzzy" they are.

Number one single cause of numbness especially in the right hand is gripping the throttle too tightly. With the fly by wire throttle that the RT has, I'd think you only need a very light grip. Even the RS requires a very light hand.

I'd try consciously to loosen up your grip before investing in bar weights. Again, I'm not saying that bar end weights won't help. I have them on my RS. But try loosening your grip too. You'd be amazed when the circulation starts back up in your hand!

tea6638
05-08-2010, 11:47 AM
It's not so much the vibration as wrist to hand position. Try changing your hand position so that the angle of your wrist is below the grip (not straight). I have found that, the longer you ride (without stopping) your wrist will adapt to that constant position. Just my 2 cents.

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
It's not so much the vibration as wrist to hand position. Try changing your hand position so that the angle of your wrist is below the grip (not straight). I have found that, the longer you ride (without stopping) your wrist will adapt to that constant position. Just my 2 cents.
:agree:

NorthStar
05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I know what you mean about a slight numbness associated with handlebar vibration and I agree with others that the main cause is grip pressure.

The simplest solution for me was to slip on a pair of bicycle foam grips over the stock grips. Made the grips bigger/softer and effectively allowed me to reduce grip pressure and assists in reducing numbness in the hands while touring.
The beauty of the foam grips that I installed is that they are an easy install, cost $5.00 or less, and do not cancel out the heated grip function. If this solution doesn't work for you then you can simply pull them off and go back to the drawing board.