PDA

View Full Version : I am afraid I may have gotten a lemon for an RT

2manycars
05-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Today as I was riding along it started to stall avery so ofen when I cam to a complete stop at a light

It seemed as if going from 2 to 1 on the SE created a problem. I had to really hold the brake-it lurched and than stalled. I was initially able to restart easily, but it got worse.

I called the dealer and was told they just got a bulletin about a software update for the SE. He thinks that may be the issue especially if it happens more when I let the RT do the downshifting itself. It got worse as time went on and annoying as hell.

So far the first day it died and had to go back for a loose wire they did not catch at PDI. Next I got it home and noticed only one fog light worked-not a big deal. Then the strong gas smell my garage still has an oder many hours later-I was told it is normal (I hope not). Now today's problems. I have had it since Monday and already it is having issues.

To make matters worse, the dealer is 40 miles from me and takes almost an hour to get to. I told them to pick it up and they said fine, we charge 60 dollars for the first 30 miles and a dollar a mile after that.

I paid 28K or so, and if it was a car at least there would be a loaner available even if at a nominal charge. Now I either have to pay them or get my wife to make the drive on Wednesday and than go back to pick it up on Saturday assuming they can fix it.

Shouldn't BRP pay to have it driven there, or provide me with a loaner or the like0I plan to call the sales Manager and ask him if he can loan me a car, or cover the pick-up charge.

Dudley
05-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Today as I was riding along it started to stall avery so ofen when I cam to a complete stop at a light

It seemed as if going from 2 to 1 on the SE created a problem. I had to really hold the brake-it lurched and than stalled. I was initially able to restart easily, but it got worse.

I called the dealer and was told they just got a bulletin about a software update for the SE. He thinks that may be the issue especially if it happens more when I let the RT do the downshifting itself. It got worse as time went on and annoying as hell.

So far the first day it died and had to go back for a loose wire they did not catch at PDI. Next I got it home and noticed only one fog light worked-not a big deal. Then the strong gas smell my garage still has an oder many hours later-I was told it is normal (I hope not). Now today's problems. I have had it since Monday and already it is having issues.

To make matters worse, the dealer is 40 miles from me and takes almost an hour to get to. I told them to pick it up and they said fine, we charge 60 dollars for the first 30 miles and a dollar a mile after that.

I paid 28K or so, and if it was a car at least there would be a loaner available even if at a nominal charge. Now I either have to pay them or get my wife to make the drive on Wednesday and than go back to pick it up on Saturday assuming they can fix it.

Shouldn't BRP pay to have it driven there, or provide me with a loaner or the like0I plan to call the sales Manager and ask him if he can loan me a car, or cover the pick-up charge.

If you have had it only since Monday and are having all these issues. then the dealer should have picked it up already at no charge...if he were a dealer. If he is just a Spyder dispensing unit...BEWARE! I would call them again and try and have them pick it up at no charge and you can drive and get it when it's fixed. If they don't want to do that, I would really question their "dealership".

mainespyder
05-08-2010, 06:13 AM
:agree:Thay should pick it up and return for $0.

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 07:00 AM
It is a poor dealer that treats a customer this way. Both the previous problem with the loose wire, and the foglight problem, are his screw-ups. Ask him if he really wants your lawyer involved? He should be falling all over himself to make you happy. Did you speak directly to the business owner, or just the service rep? Time to go up the ladder if the rep was the mouthpiece.

I had the same foglight problem. It stemmed from a wiring harness that was not connected during the pre-delivery assembly. Strictly the dealer's oversight. You can get in there and connect it yourself, but it is hard on the hands, and not fun. Easier if you jack up the Spyder and remove the wheel on that side....painful if you don't. I had to fish the other end out from under the trunk with a coat hanger. I'd take a look to see if you have the same problem. As to the gas smell, some dealers are already saying it is "normal". That is not true, but it may take considerable pressure by a lot of owners before they come up with a fix. In my opinion anything more than an occasional "whiff" is a fire hazard. Maybe it is time to start reporting the gas smell to NHTSA if BRP dealers continue to be unresponsive.

Lamonster
05-08-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10017

mdminc
05-08-2010, 08:08 AM
2manycars...I see your in PA. If you don't mind saying, what dealer is this?

Lamonster
05-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Your problem may be RT Update- Gearbox Position Sensor Initialization (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18219&highlight=centrifugal+clutch)
That should be done no matter what. It took me 8600 miles before mine needed to be done.

It could very well be that you have a bad centrifugal clutch too. I would have your dealer make a call to BRP on that one.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=203810&postcount=14

2manycars
05-08-2010, 04:00 PM
The position sensor may be the software update that was mentioned. It does not happen all the time, but it seems like when it happens it is still trying to move forward and is fighting the brake.

My dealee is Blackmans in Emmaus. They have been fair, and admit they messed up on the PDI. I will speak to them again on Monday regarding pick up and delivery

2manycars
05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I looked at the service bulletin posted. Indeed it seems that there is a delay when shifting from 2nd to 1st. I hope that is the problem since it is an easy fix. I wonder why it took several days to show up and why it does not happen all the time.

krb1945
05-08-2010, 04:16 PM
The strong gas smell is not normal. I have three sitting in my garage and they are ridden two at a time, the dog hasn't learned how to drive the third one yet, any way "she who must be obeyed" runs the heck out of her 09 SE and it doesn't have a gas smell. I run the two 08 SMs pretty hard and they don't smell of gas when put in the garage. But in saying this we had the updates last year... but none this year. She lets it do its own down shifting and no problems. I up shift after first gear with out the clutch and no problems. I don't like to wear the finish off the clutch lever. Started shifting without the clutch at 15 and just never got out of the habit.

You may have a bad hose clamp or a loose gas cap. The hose clamps they use are prone to failure... so check the clamps. /Ken krb1945

horse171
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi:
How come you didn't get roadside coverage with your unit ? Mines included...any problems covered for 2 years (pickup).

2manycars
06-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I was told since the RT is drivable that they will not pick it up. The other problem is that I did not buy it from the closest dealer but the one I liked the best. I understand they will only take it to the closest dealer.

My dealer is picking it up from me tomorrow.

canam9
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I was told since the RT is drivable that they will not pick it up. The other problem is that I did not buy it from the closest dealer but the one I liked the best. I understand they will only take it to the closest dealer.

My dealer is picking it up from me tomorrow.

I feel your pain!

freebob
06-07-2010, 05:52 PM

Let's take GM for example Let's say back in 70's Their motto was Let's build it and let John Q.Public test it for us. We all know where that got them, To a Corp. that had to be bailed out by By John Q. also, I hope they have learned from bad example they had set.....:helpsmilie:

woodchuck
06-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Who is the name of the dealer?

2manycars
06-08-2010, 09:32 AM
I have built a better relationship with the dealer and owner. We compromised on the pickup/delivery.

Yesterday they picked my RT up and brought it to their shop for the clutch update. They called BRP a couple of weeks ago and discovered, yes there was a bulletin regarding the stalling issue (thanks Lamont). They got the RT clutch issue repaired (god willing), and I agreed to pick it up from them. They had it repaired before the end of the day, and I agreed to pick it up.

Now I am out to do as many stop and goes as I can to "test" the repair, though as you know it is a hit or miss thing. The comments I have seen here lead be to believe the bearing replacement (I think that was it) should have corrected the problem.

At the moment all is well, and hopefully now I have many trouble free miles.

I think the dealer should be fine, though I may start going to the closer one simply because it is a much shorter ride for me, and who ever has to take me for service.

taggtr
06-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I have built a better relationship with the dealer and owner. We compromised on the pickup/delivery.

Yesterday they picked my RT up and brought it to their shop for the clutch update. They called BRP a couple of weeks ago and discovered, yes there was a bulletin regarding the stalling issue (thanks Lamont). They got the RT clutch issue repaired (god willing), and I agreed to pick it up from them. They had it repaired before the end of the day, and I agreed to pick it up.

Now I am out to do as many stop and goes as I can to "test" the repair, though as you know it is a hit or miss thing. The comments I have seen here lead be to believe the bearing replacement (I think that was it) should have corrected the problem.

At the moment all is well, and hopefully now I have many trouble free miles.

I think the dealer should be fine, though I may start going to the closer one simply because it is a much shorter ride for me, and who ever has to take me for service.

I've had mine back for about a week now after the warranty clutch repair/update and so far so good! It's going back in Friday because I think a tech crossed some wires somewhere and my Tach needle is stuck and my electric front trunk release doesn't work now. That didn't stop me though from taking it out in 109 degree heat yesterday!!!! And I tell ya, that LD Comfort under garment to keep ya cool when you ride really freaking works!
LDComfort.com