PDA

View Full Version : trailering Can-Am Spyser RT

jsteffey
05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi. New to the group bbecause I just bought a RT A&C. I am a full-time RV'er, so I am looking for a way to transport the Spyder. Whoo has found a trailer specific to the Spyder? Any:2thumbs: other recommendtions?

fastfraser
05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
:congrats:welcome You need a trailer about 6x10. Enclosed is better but make sure :spyder2: will drive up ramp as there is very little ground clearance and also make sure it fits through the door . Lots of options out there and lots of posts about trailers.

burg650
05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
This is the way to go, not cheep but nice trailer. http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/ (http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/)
More photos
http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/12028-adventure-sport-trailer-for-sale/page__p__99983__hl__ast%20trailer__fromsearch__1&#entry99983

Kerrville Bob
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I have the same ASP trailer that burg650 presented. It gets my recommendation for hauling the Spyder.

retired1
05-07-2010, 10:31 PM
If you get an enclosed trailer with a ramp door you will need a 7' wide trailer because of the room the retracting cables take up. A 6' wide open trailer would probably work. I have a 6'x12' enclosed haulmark which I cannot get the RTS in.

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 06:10 AM
If you get an enclosed trailer with a ramp door you will need a 7' wide trailer because of the room the retracting cables take up. A 6' wide open trailer would probably work. I have a 6'x12' enclosed haulmark which I cannot get the RTS in.
:agree: I have an all aluminum 7x12 V-nose R&R which works great, although it is bigger than you would need. Enclosed trailers offer the advantage of being secure, and offering protection through all kinds of weather. Think of them as your garage on wheels. Good spot to carry that spare gas can, too.

:congrats: & welcome

dave01
05-08-2010, 06:20 AM
I have a 6X12 Vnose and its a tight fit. I have to move the retracting lines out of the way to get the Spyder in. I have 2 of those pool noodles ( foam tubes) on the edges of the door for protection.

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I have a 6X12 Vnose and its a tight fit. I have to move the retracting lines out of the way to get the Spyder in. I have 2 of those pool noodles ( foam tubes) on the edges of the door for protection.
I put pool noodles on my cables, to prevent accidenttal scratches. They work great for keeping me from tripping over the cables, too! :D

Blackwidow74
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
This trailer by swisstrailers.com is what I have and it works. Its all aluminum 6 X 10 utility with drive up ramp and weighs 515lbs it is good on gas. Cost is only $1578 cash.

mdminc
05-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey MouthPiece (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=4558), my 6x12 trailer looks similar to yours but I have the same problem trying to get the RT-S up without hitting the front. Would you explain how you get it up using the jacks you installed on the front. I'd like to do the same. Thanks!

jsteffey
05-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I tried your link but it was dead. Googled it too. Nothing. :hun:
Joe Steffey - waiting impatiently and:chat:digging for information.

NancysToy
05-09-2010, 08:27 PM
For a quick and dirty way to raise the front of the trailer, and reduce the ramp angle, just use the tongue jack of your trailer, if it is so equipped. Leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle, lower the tongue jack, and jack it up. You can get several inches of rise as the tow vehicle suspension raises. Don't forget to lower the jack and fold it back up before you drive off! :yikes:

Ghost_Ryder
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi. New to the group bbecause I just bought a RT A&C. I am a full-time RV'er, so I am looking for a way to transport the Spyder. Whoo has found a trailer specific to the Spyder? Any:2thumbs: other recommendtions?

I don't have an RT but I had a trailer built to fit my RS. There are tire pockets in front to help stabilize the :spyder2: when traveling. I also had the rear gate done in two sections to accommodate the steep angle and low clearance of the RS. The trailer has 15" tires so it handles great at highway speeds. The trailer cost $1800.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x98/markpsatx/P7120002.jpg

Recluze
05-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I have an AST 2 from Adventure Sports Products. that works well. I have probably towed 10,000 miles with this thing. It is for sale for $4000 and I can deliver it. Message me if interested.

mofa52
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
This is the kind I use for the Spyder.

Ronsam
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Mofa 52

Your trailer looks very good . Where did you buy the trailer? And the cost

If you have more information on the trailer. :2thumbs:

Thanks

mofa52
05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.toycarrier.com/

There is your link, very nice trailer but pricy, very light expecially behind an RV, took it accross Canada last year and back NO issues, tows wonderfully. Cleans up easly and keeps bikes etc clean, holds the Spyder ok or two bikes with the removable bike chocks. Has build in tie downs as well, very well made.

fencepost
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I just ordered another open trailer so that I can load the wifes RT AC and Harley nose to tail and have put the one I have for one bike or Spyder up for sale on the For Sale site. This is an open trailer with drop axel, drop ramp, stone guard, ect. You can see pictures on the For Sale site.

kyspyder
05-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a trailer from these folks and I am very happy with the 3 years and many, many, miles of use.

www.ironhorsetrailers.com (http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com)

KYSPYDER

jsteffey
05-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the advice and options. A couple snags have arisen.

A Triton dealer says the the ramp of the MCCTD is to narrow - 36". A sales rep. for AST recommends the AST3 as the AST is only 54" wide. Spyder sales man measured the outside wheel span to be 62.8" Would those :spyder2:riders with the above please adivse?

Recluze
05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
I have the Spyder Smart Car trailer from ASP. It sounds like they are now calling it the AST 3. It works great and I especially like the remote control raising and lowering. It almost get as much attention as the Spyder.

Mine is for sale if you are interested.

mofa52
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Have you contacted the Toycarrier fokes?

jsteffey
05-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I sent them an email request for info.:chat:

mofa52
05-14-2010, 10:56 AM
If you go to their site, they have the dimentions of the trailer on the web site.

AZ Desert Spyder
05-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I bought a Kendon trailer which was made for carrying one or two motorcycles and I modified it to fit my Spyder. This trailer is especially great for anyone who has limited storage space because it stands up in the garage and takes up very little space. The modification consisted of moving the wheel rails out a few inches which required some minor welding; total cost $160. I also had to purchase 2 additional ramps for the Spyder since it only comes with one ramp. The ramps can easily be attached to the trailer alongside the Spyder after it's loaded. I haven't taken any long trips with it yet, but around town, it works great. It rides low so there's very little wind resistance, and it looks great.

jsteffey
05-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I ended up buying a Triton 1082. Many of the companies you reccomended were not very good at responding to email. Others were too pricey or too long a back log on orders. Bought from C&T Cycle in Scottsburg, IN. Ended up with the 1082 with stone guard, surge brakes, bi-fold ramp. Still don't have the RT. I bought it because it was supposed to be in quickly, but still not there.:dontknow:

ridesilver2009
06-19-2010, 04:30 PM
When required, I use a Triton 1064B. It is extremely light weight (400 lbs.) and has less wind drag with the Bi-Fold ramp. On many trailers with a ramp you might have to use ramp extensions/blocks to keep the Spyder nose "clean".Purchased from Larry Bierstedt, Aluminum Trailer Connection, Houston,TX atci@swbell.net. Very pleased with the performance. I like pulling payload, not trailer weight.Happy Haulin'

stillriding
06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice and options. A couple snags have arisen.

A Triton dealer says the the ramp of the MCCTD is to narrow - 36". A sales rep. for AST recommends the AST3 as the AST is only 54" wide. Spyder sales man measured the outside wheel span to be 62.8" Would those :spyder2:riders with the above please adivse?

May I suggest another option: Aluma trailers. alumaklm.com. I just bought model 6810 which is an all aluminum open trailer with a bed of about 6x9.5 feet with a bifold gate. Weight is 440lbs. They're less expensive than Triton.

Jester
06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I put pool noodles on my cables, to prevent accidenttal scratches. They work great for keeping me from tripping over the cables, too! :D

:2thumbs:Absolutely second that thought. Have been using noodles on my toy hauler since I nearly broke my neck tripping and noticed the Grands' noodles laying around. Keep em in the trailer now!!!!!:clap:

pjp623
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
It seems as though everyone has their own favorite, mine is a 6x6x10 airlite that I tow behind a Winnebago 31 Class C.
You need to be real careful re the actual door width. Mine is 63" and my Spyder 59". I laid out some 2x2 pressure treatened pieces along the sides to guide it in and prevent scratches and damage. I also installed a winch just in case.
Good luck, they make a great combo. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

timeless
07-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I bought a 7 x 12 enclosed tall boy with electric brakes to haul behind my 26' Alegra class A motorhome. It is amazing how much other stuff that can be fitted in this mobile garage that would otherwise need to be in or on the motorhome. My RT SE5 drives right in with no problem, I use 2" wide adjustable straps thru the wheels to make sure she stays put on our wonderful roads. 3000 miles so far and no problems!!!!!:2thumbs:

NancysToy
07-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I bought a 7 x 12 enclosed tall boy with electric brakes to haul behind my 26' Alegra class A motorhome. It is amazing how much other stuff that can be fitted in this mobile garage that would otherwise need to be in or on the motorhome. My RT SE5 drives right in with no problem, I use 2" wide adjustable straps thru the wheels to make sure she stays put on our wonderful roads. 3000 miles so far and no problems!!!!!:2thumbs:
Yes, indeed! I love my 7x12 v-nose tallboy. Hauls either Spyder with ease...plus two vintage bikes if it is Nancy's RS aboard, the camp kitchen, canopies, cots, etc. Ours is an R&R, all aluminum, what is yours? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::spyder:

chasen_racen
07-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Enclosed trailer is the way to go. Mine is a 7x12 Pace Journey The :spyder2: RTS fits nice and I still have room is back of the :spyder2:to strap my Zuma 125 too. Works for me anyway.

Jim PE 0016

Questions
07-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I think I am goiing to try putting my Spyder on my tow dollie I use for the cars behind the motorhome. I know the wheel width will fit. Just put it in neutral and free wheel the back tire. New tow dollies are about $1500.00

Just an idea.

pjp623
07-15-2010, 07:30 AM
I have a 6x6x10 Airlite Trailer that I tow behind my Class C--pictures available under "My Trailer" in my profile. It was fairly inexpensive, plus I can push it around by myself when it's empty. :ohyea:The extra length to the ramp makes it easy to get in sand out. Some 2x2 PT anlong the sides keeps it from getting scratched at the opening.

Burdendl
05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
:joke:I just purchased a spyder RS with the intention of pulling it behind my Tiffin Phaeton. After much research, plan to purchase an Aluma TK1 trike trailer. It will just fit the Can Am. Very well made and light enough to be moveable by one person in any RV park situation.
best price I have found, complete with spare tire ect was $3000.

Your thoughts??

Jeriatric
05-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Hard to know what you mean by RV'er (coach or trailering) but check this out.

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/canam-spyder/

Jeriatric
05-15-2012, 02:19 PM
:joke:I just purchased a spyder RS with the intention of pulling it behind my Tiffin Phaeton. After much research, plan to purchase an Aluma TK1 trike trailer. It will just fit the Can Am. Very well made and light enough to be moveable by one person in any RV park situation.
best price I have found, complete with spare tire ect was $3000.

Your thoughts??

Don't know if this is to far away but, it could be worth the call. (478) 788-9039

http://macon.ebayclassifieds.com/trailers-rvs/macon/new-aluma-tk1-trike-trailer-excelent-condition-with-upgrades/?ad=8588277

FrankPa
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
6 x 10...

BaldEagle
05-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Ghost_Rider. Trailer is right up my alley. Couple of questions please. Where can I get one? What is the approximate tongue weight with the spyder loaded? Thanks for your help.
I don't have an RT but I had a trailer built to fit my RS. There are tire pockets in front to help stabilize the :spyder2: when traveling. I also had the rear gate done in two sections to accommodate the steep angle and low clearance of the RS. The trailer has 15" tires so it handles great at highway speeds. The trailer cost $1800.

bo9roadking
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm using a Drop Tail trailer for my RT. My spyder clears the ramp when I ride it on the trailer. It also folds up to take up very little space in my garage. I show it folded in two of the photos, but you can stand it up to take up even less space. The youtube video will give you a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2YxR7L7ZBU

spyrog
07-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Has anyone tried this tilt trailer for the RT? Only $1700 and weighs 400 lbs.

dshogman
07-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Also a fulltimer. Wanted to take car along also so ended up at RaceCityRVProducts.com in North Carolina. Check their website. I got the HDXL as that what was needed for the width of the front end. You can see my rig in their picture section, the yellow RS with a white Hoda FIT on the dolly. Has worked fine for over a year and 5000+ miles.

MRH
07-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I also purchased a Drop-Tail Trailer (http://www.droptailtrailers.com/PowerSport-Utility-Trailers-s/21.htm - about $3000) and it seems made to fit, although it was actually designed for two motorcycles. I am having a small issue with the lights, but I imagine I'll have that resolved today once I give them a call (it's a a small company, and they are extremely helpful if you call them).

I got lucky and found one in stock nearby - I'm told there is a wait on orders.

I hadn't ever drove a trailer before, but it's actually much easier than I had imagined, except for backing up!

Cleg
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Check out NHTrailer.com the manufacturers of the Proline all aluminum trailer. They are great, the RT fits in with room to spare and the tie down system available is fantastic. Mine has 5 quick adjust rails in the floor and eyebolts that are fantastic. You'll be very happy!!!!;)

TexasSpyder
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Check these out, yhey make one for the Spyders, it is the one I want looking for the $ now.
http://www.airridecorp.com/

J. D.

burg650
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM
The AST3 is the way to go, 49233

chickenvet
08-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Hey MouthPiece (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=4558), my 6x12 trailer looks similar to yours but I have the same problem trying to get the RT-S up without hitting the front. Would you explain how you get it up using the jacks you installed on the front. I'd like to do the same. Thanks!
How about using 10' ramps.

chickenvet
08-05-2016, 03:02 PM

Where did you have trailer made?

Bruce Dillon
08-07-2016, 02:46 PM
We live in our RV & have a Spyder that we have decided towed behind it for 2,000 miles & it works very nicely...you were have also towed it behind our SUV once. It is a 2016 Drop-Tail trailer. It is bif enough to carry 1 Spyder or 2 Harley Davidsons. We are interested in selling it to get a larger trailer that we can tow both our Spyder & our SUV on together. We are located in Lakeland, FL. Let me know if you are interested in buying it.

chickenvet
08-07-2016, 10:05 PM
We live in our RV & have a Spyder that we have decided towed behind it for 2,000 miles & it works very nicely...you were have also towed it behind our SUV once. It is a 2016 Drop-Tail trailer. It is bif enough to carry 1 Spyder or 2 Harley Davidsons. We are interested in selling it to get a larger trailer that we can tow both our Spyder & our SUV on together. We are located in Lakeland, FL. Let me know if you are interested in buying it.

Interested... Questions
-what are dimensions.... particularly width?
-how many pounds will it carry?
-two axle?
-7 blade wiring... all lights working
-How much?
-Where are you located for pickup or ship?

Ken

Cleg
08-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Check out ProLine aluminum trailers. NHtrailers.com. I have my second 80"x12 with 3' vee nose. Plenty of room going in and inside. Very light towing and moving around. Good luck.

ijon1
08-08-2016, 04:07 AM
http://www.legendmfginc.com/img/legend-logo.png

Bruce Dillon
08-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Interested... Questions
-what are dimensions.... particularly width?
-how many pounds will it carry?
-two axle?
-7 blade wiring... all lights working
-How much?
-Where are you located for pickup or ship?

Ken

Deck width is 7 ft., deck length is 7'6", will carry 2,000 lbs., single axle, American 3,500 lb. tortion bar suspension, LED lights all around, 4 pin flat electrical connection, 2 in. ball required. $2,700 and we are located in Lakeland, FL. Can private message if interested and would like pictures. Thanks.

Bruce

BRandRandy
08-08-2016, 08:46 PM
This is the trailer I have been looking at - http://www.razortrailers.com/
Randy

SilverFox1
08-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Now that is a nice setup. No ramps needed at all! Fantastic. I want one.

chickenvet
08-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Deck width is 7 ft., deck length is 7'6", will carry 2,000 lbs., single axle, American 3,500 lb. tortion bar suspension, LED lights all around, 4 pin flat electrical connection, 2 in. ball required. $2,700 and we are located in Lakeland, FL. Can private message if interested and would like pictures. Thanks.

Bruce

I realy like the trailer but I live in CA and I expect shipping cost would be prohibited.

beef56
06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Thinking of towing my Spyder behind our fifth wheel.I have a newer 5th wheel with a receiver hitch that has very limited weight capacity. I have an RV trailer that I could load the Spyder on. Does anyone have an idea of a dolly that I could tow that would handle the tongue weight of the trailer?

chickenvet
06-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Where did you have trailer made?

I have a 2013 Spyder ST Limited.

I bought a EE-9-13 (see link below) $1250 (No Tax) $295 delivered fully assembled. I added two gas can/mounts. The built in ramp is to short so I carry and use two long ramps for the front wheels and one short ramp for the back tires.... this trailer has slanting slides so works great for holding ramps. Excellent construction/materials. Probably could fit to ATVs from side.

http://atvtrailersstore.com/EE-9-13-Elite.html

Ken

UtahPete
06-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Thinking of towing my Spyder behind our fifth wheel.I have a newer 5th wheel with a receiver hitch that has very limited weight capacity. I have an RV trailer that I could load the Spyder on. Does anyone have an idea of a dolly that I could tow that would handle the tongue weight of the trailer?

What is the rating of the tow hitch? I can't imagine it is less than 5,000 lbs / 750# tongue weight. Get an aluminum trailer and you won't have any problems. Mine is an Aluma https://www.alumaklm.com/introducing-aluma-edge; they make a comprehensive line of aluminum trailers and have dealers everywhere I think;

UtahPete
06-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Hi. New to the group bbecause I just bought a RT A&C. I am a full-time RV'er, so I am looking for a way to transport the Spyder. Who has found a trailer specific to the Spyder?

The only one I know built specifically for the Spyder is the Ultimate http://the-ultimate-trailers.com/can-am-spyder-trailer.html

http://the-ultimate-trailers.com/images/Spyder/spyder.jpg

NewYorkSpyder
06-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Just put this together to haul Spyder to Americade. It's a 7210 Aluma priced about $2,600 but you can find them cheaper. I put a 4x4 17 " from the front of the trailer and two "I" bolts to strap the bike down -- never moved149641

UtahPete
06-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Just put this together to haul Spyder to Americade. It's a 7210 Aluma priced about $2,600 but you can find them cheaper.

The same one I have. Fits perfectly, low deck height so ramp incline not a problem. I paid $1900 (Salt Lake City). They also come with walls on 3 sides about 3' high; one of our Spyder group has that one, but I prefer the easy accessibility of this one.

mvangel
12-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Hello,
I have a Subaru Outback and the receiver tongue weight max is 200lbs. 1.25" receiver
I think this is to small and weak so what is the recommendation from those who trailer their spyders??

Blessings
Mathew

ahh-cool
12-31-2017, 10:12 AM
This trailer by swisstrailers.com is what I have and it works. Its all aluminum 6 X 10 utility with drive up ramp and weighs 515lbs it is good on gas. Cost is only $1578 cash.

This is basically what I have except my ramp folds in half.
Works great. I also RV fulltime
Stefan

Alabamacrussr
01-02-2018, 01:17 PM
i use the razor trailer and really enjoy how it pulls, ease of loading etc. the weight of the trailer is about 600 lbs. so with Spyder RTS I'm looking at around 1700 lbs. Max. I can move the tailer around by hand when empty. Tongue weight loaded I'm not sure but not high. there may be some info on the web site.156736

Gramp
01-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Hello,
I have a Subaru Outback and the receiver tongue weight max is 200lbs. 1.25" receiver
I think this is to small and weak so what is the recommendation from those who trailer their spyders??

Blessings
Mathew

:thumbup:Mvangel, We have a Subaru Baja Turbo that we have hauled the bikes with for several years on a 6+10 Aluma trailer. The bikes weigh more than the spyder that we have only hauled once. I have pulled the trailer on the interstate at 85 and all thru the Black Hills with no problems. Your Subaru should have no problem with the weight. Our other Subaru without the turbo was a little shy on power pulling the trailer. Hope this is helpful to you.