PDA

View Full Version : Installed RT Hitch on my GS today!

wkheathjr
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Purchased RT Hitch on ebay for $355! From All Season Can-Am Dealer in West VA. It arrived yesterday so today had free time and installed it, took about 10 mins.. had to pull cables on right side a little bit then used rubber hammer hammering the rear part of hitch (of course with cloth covering the hitch) gently until it is all way in. Piece of cake! Pics below!

dave01
05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Looks good. I was told they would fit.

wkheathjr
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Yea and hopefully my pics have helped because sometime pic is worth a thousand word.. lol!

YPILOT
05-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Looks Great. :thumbup:
Make sure the factory installed ball is tight before using!
You don't want :yikes: to find out it's not on the road.

Purchased RT Hitch on ebay for $355! From All Season Can-Am Dealer in West VA. It arrived yesterday so today had free time and installed it, took about 10 mins.. had to pull cables on right side a little bit then used rubber hammer hammering the rear part of hitch (of course with cloth covering the hitch) gently until it is all way in. Piece of cake! Pics below!

MarkLawson
05-07-2010, 06:19 AM
The ball was not installed in my BRP trailer hitch kit. Because the bottom side is recessed, I could not get my normal wrench on the nut to tighten it. This FORCED me to go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy a 1" socket set. Drat, had to buy more tools... :yes:

Your install looks great!

LittleJohn
05-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Did it come with the wiring harness? ( I know the harness is for the RT, but am interested if it can be modded to work on the GS/RS)

NancysToy
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Did it come with the wiring harness? ( I know the harness is for the RT, but am interested if it can be modded to work on the GS/RS)
It includes the wiring harness. I think it would be difficult to adapt to the RS. I have not scoped it out carefully, however. The trailer module and connector are integral, and require a fairly large, flat space, in an appropriate location, to install. There isn't much bodywork on the RS that fills that bill. It would be nice, though, since the module provides a separate power source for the trailer lights. A secondary problem would be the need, and extra expense, of adapting your trailer to the odd nine-pin BRP connector.

pzim
05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I would be I interested in the wiring process, any information would be great, I want to do the same thing you did!

BillGargan
05-07-2010, 10:54 PM
I am not sure but I think you are in a risky spot . . .

The computer systems on the new RT have been designed to adapt to conditions when the RT has a trailer and when it does not.

The RS has no such programming. It knows not from whether there is a trailer or there is not. I hope you do not get into any situations where handling or emergency braking are going to make this Spyder behave in dangerous ways.

You are about to be a victim of your own choices! Your call!

WaltH
05-08-2010, 04:01 AM
I am not sure but I think you are in a risky spot . . .

The computer systems on the new RT have been designed to adapt to conditions when the RT has a trailer and when it does not.

The RS has no such programming. It knows not from whether there is a trailer or there is not. I hope you do not get into any situations where handling or emergency braking are going to make this Spyder behave in dangerous ways.

You are about to be a victim of your own choices! Your call!

I think I remember Lamonster saying that the only thing affected by the trailer wiring harness is the shift pattern on the SE5. No other computer systems know there is a trailer out there. The SM5 doesn't even know that much.

Maybe a PM to Lamonster could clear this up.

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 06:45 AM
I think I remember Lamonster saying that the only thing affected by the trailer wiring harness is the shift pattern on the SE5. No other computer systems know there is a trailer out there. The SM5 doesn't even know that much.

Maybe a PM to Lamonster could clear this up.
I agree. There is no "trailer mode" for the SM models, and there is no extra wiring that is not associated with the lights. I think this is another phantom feature, like the supposed governor.

RShrimp
05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
If the rt wire harness does not work out you might try the univesal one from e-trailer. It is around $70 and has a small "box" that contains electronics that isolate the trailer wires and use direct battery power to operate the trailer lights. (It has a wire that runs to the battery and then uses a signal from tail, turn, and brake) I have installed these before on other vehicles and they do work great.
It says it uses less than 5 mW from the vehicle wire harness. (tail, turn, stop circuit)

http://www.etrailer.com/p-119177KIT.html

NancysToy
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
If the rt wire harness does not work out you might try the univesal one from e-trailer. It is around $70 and has a small "box" that contains electronics that isolate the trailer wires and use direct battery power to operate the trailer lights. (It has a wire that runs to the battery and then uses a signal from tail, turn, and brake) I have installed these before on other vehicles and they do work great.
It says it uses less than 5 mW from the vehicle wire harness. (tail, turn, stop circuit)

http://www.etrailer.com/p-119177KIT.html
Thanks for this! I have been searching for a "pass-thru" converter like this that would take a 3-wire hookup, but up until now Modulite didn't have one. I'm gonna have my trailer supplier order me one this week. That way, since I don't have my RTS to tow with, we can use nancy's Spyder RS, and won't miss any more events.