PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumtion

dvmdf
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Went for a nice ride on Sun, along the PCH to Malibu ( about 100 miles). When came back home checked the oil level and the dip stick was dry. Had panic attack, drank 2 margaritas, addeed oil. It took about 1/2 QT. No oil spots on the garage floor, last oil change 2000 miles ago, checked oil level about 1000 miles ago- was normal. The bike runs fine. How aften do you guys check your oil level ( mile interval)? Is this a normal occurance ( air box?). Has anybody used different oil then BRP? I appreciate your feedback

2008 SE5
Happy Owner

aka1004
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
i have done my own oil change for the most part and i think i used less than quart of oil to "fill up" in between the oil changes. all the spyder mechanics that i have spoken to think that is normal.
when i do my oil change, i would get 5 quarts of oil and i would have 3/4 of quart left and i use that to fill up before my next oil change, about every 5000 miles.

WackyDan
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Careful... If I get a low reading, I fire the spyder back up, and run it for a bit, blip the throttle and ensure I let it idle for about 30 seconds... After that, I will sometimes find that the first reading was way off.

I also find I use a bit of oil in between changes and if I run any serious twisties, I seem to use more.

boborgera
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Are you sure when you checked your oil you did it by the book?
A half quart seams a little high to me in only 1000 miles. Some of it might be getting into your air box. Put your hand up in the opening on the right side behind the fan and feel the bottom of the air box for any oil dripping out. that might be where that oil is going to.

dvmdf
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
oil level was checked by the book.
thanks for your replies

dvmdf
05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Are you sure when you checked your oil you did it by the book?
A half quart seams a little high to me in only 1000 miles. Some of it might be getting into your air box. Put your hand up in the opening on the right side behind the fan and feel the bottom of the air box for any oil dripping out. that might be where that oil is going to.
Thanks for the tip, yes, bottom of the airbox is very oily

sabunim5
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
If you keep your oil level about half way between the full and add mark it usually stays pretty consistent between the recommended oil change interval. If you try and keep it at the full mark you end up lubing the air box. At least on my Spyder.

BajaRon
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the tip, yes, bottom of the airbox is very oily

You need the Baja-Fix (or equalivant).

Check this out - Bajaron's oil catch can (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18008)

Since putting this on I get NO oil in the airbox and I "Use" less oil between changes. (Oil in the airbox does not constitue 'Using' oil).

By the way, thanks to ameobe for the great How-Too! :thumbup: