PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistake

SpyderRyder
05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I recently purchased the highway brackets with adapters and Kuryakyn ISO pegs from KewlMetal. On my first ride with the pegs installed, I lost my left peg. At first, I thought it was a bolt that had loosened that I installed, :opps: but after looking closer I found that the peg itself had come apart because I still had part of it attached to the bracket. I contacted Kuryakyn and was told that none of their fasteners are waranteed against loosening. I asked whether they were put together with locktite or something similar and was told that that was my responsibility. :hun: However, they were willing to sell me another peg for $60. :shocked: I said thanks, but if that's how they stand behind their products, I was not interested and would no longer purchase any products made by Kuryakyn. I don't usually write about bad experiences like this, but I thought the rest of you should know how some companies treat their customers. :yikes:

irish2themax
05-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I recently purchased the highway brackets with adapters and Kuryakyn ISO pegs from KewlMetal. On my first ride with the pegs installed, I lost my left peg. At first, I thought it was a bolt that had loosened that I installed, :opps: but after looking closer I found that the peg itself had come apart because I still had part of it attached to the bracket. I contacted Kuryakyn and was told that none of their fasteners are waranteed against loosening. I asked whether they were put together with locktite or something similar and was told that that was my responsibility. :hun: However, they were willing to sell me another peg for $60. :shocked: I said thanks, but if that's how they stand behind their products, I was not interested and would no longer purchase any products made by Kuryakyn. I don't usually write about bad experiences like this, but I thought the rest of you should know how some companies treat their customers. :yikes:

I lost my right mini-wing. Same story

Some Guy
05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Not cool!!! :yikes:

jabba11
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Come on guys..bad things happen. i recognize that you expect a certain amount of reliabilty of construction etc. Kuryakyn didnt make their name on crap parts for sure and no they dont replace LOST parts. So great post for sure hopefully well all check and make sure that the parts we order are put together strong enough to last the ride etc. (no facesciousness intended or implied by that statement)

dave01
05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I would think quality control would have made sure the parts were tightened when they were fabricated. Heck, I didnt go over my Spyder and tighten all bolts thinking one may fall off. To me, sounds like Kuryakyn is going like most other companies and living on thier name, not the quality of thier products. Just my 02 cents though

Neez
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
On my mini wings there was a small set screw that held the wing at the desired angle. It frequently slipped, allowing the wing to rotate, and had to be retightened. I think the screw was too small for the job. I have since changed to the Kury round pegs. They have a large set screw which I check frequently. No problems so far with the new pegs.

jabba11
05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
I had ISO pegs on my first harley (17 years ago) ..I feel like they were adjustable so you could "set" them at an angle (since they werent round) and then YOU had to tighten them. I would agree that maybe a little blue locktite included with the pegs would be a nice touch.

aka1004
05-04-2010, 09:58 PM
i am sorry they won't cover you on that.
when i saw it, i thought for sure they would cover that...

Neez
05-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I had ISO pegs on my first harley (17 years ago) ..I feel like they were adjustable so you could "set" them at an angle (since they werent round) and then YOU had to tighten them. I would agree that maybe a little blue locktite included with the pegs would be a nice touch.Well yes, I was the one doing the tightening, but I dont think that is the problem. The Iso wings allow a pretty good torque force about the center of the peg (depending how you ride the pegs) and a small area of set screw contact will slip or tear.

SpyderRyder
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
i am sorry they won't cover you on that.
when i saw it, i thought for sure they would cover that...

Live and learn. I have new ones ordered. The new ones made in the US. Hope to have better luck with them.

Dragonrider
05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I am (also) a pilot. I will never climb into my aircraft without a preflight check (looking for loose stuff). Many nuts are safety wired - even that breaks and things come loose. Come on! These are not Valks - they VIBRATE. Stuff comes loose. You have to take responsibility for your stuff - it's your life on the line out there. :lecturef_smilie:

Of course you might find some cash in one of the 'bomber's tax & spend thingy's....

patches
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
I have my Kurk pegs come lose while driving down the road. I have now learned to "preflight" several things right before I hope on, even on a short ride.

I check:
all pegs, quick twist test to make sure they are solid.
Rear license plate..I don't have a vendor and now on my 3 plate, I keep squishing it on the tire.
Check my GloRyders, twist test to make they are still tight on the hub.
Glance at my tires to make sure none are flat..lol.
lastly, look in the trunk to make sure I have everything I need before I start it up so I don't have to shut it down and restart to open the trunk.
Start it up and ride and leave the worries behind.

Now for longer trips, I do check a few other things but that is not very often. I do carry an allen wrench to match my pegs just in case they become loss.

FANG
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Put on kewlmetal hwy peg bracket and widow pegs about 7 months ago. Followed all directions and use loctite as reccommended. About 1 week later I noticed a peg was loose. Went to go tighten the peg and the bolt holding the peg to the adapter was missing. Went to a local bike shop that carries large supply of kury mechandise to inquire about a replacement. Suggested I go to a hardware store and purchase a Stainless Steel bolt.
Got 2 for $3.00, loctite again and secured the peg. So far no issues but I keep a socket and needed tools to check frequently.
This was not a Kury defect - it was my fault for not checking. Try a hardwares store for an inexpensive fix. ( jm $0.02. )

freebob
05-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the input, I definitely will look elsewhere for pegs and I would have expected more from Kuryakyn Especially since so many Spyder owners do try to do business with them Oh well guess they don't need our business, Surely good to know :spyder2:..Freebob

Campverdefela
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks to this thread I've gone over my pegs and found the set screws a little loose and I did correctly install them loctiting every bolt and set screw on install. Good PM to go over everything every once in awhile.

bone crusher
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
My problem is actually with the kewlmetal design of the footpeg. You have a 'bar' essentially locked on with one 19mm bolt/nut with the foot pedal (ISO wing) on the other end...if you put pressure on the Wing, the bar drops forward and hits the bracket that is attached to the underside of the bike...

You would essentially have to weld the foot peg extension in the position you want to get it to hold...the overall design is not good, IMHO.

It looks like you can angle the bar up or wherever you want...yeah, good luck...no matter if you use red locktite or anything else you want, the darn thing will drop down as there is NO way to stop that bar from moving...

This design is quite questionable...

Any ideas to get the bar to stay still no matter what you do? I've used every imaginable ratchet wrench to crank the thing as tight as it will go...still no way to hold as the arm cannot be secured the way it is designed.

Also, they sent 2 washers for the 19mm bolt/nut...WTF? Why would you use a second washer with a lock washer? It only makes it looser...

SpyderRyder
05-05-2010, 09:18 PM
My problem is actually with the kewlmetal design of the footpeg. You have a 'bar' essentially locked on with one 19mm bolt/nut with the foot pedal (ISO wing) on the other end...if you put pressure on the Wing, the bar drops forward and hits the bracket that is attached to the underside of the bike...

You would essentially have to weld the foot peg extension in the position you want to get it to hold...the overall design is not good, IMHO.

It looks like you can angle the bar up or wherever you want...yeah, good luck...no matter if you use red locktite or anything else you want, the darn thing will drop down as there is NO way to stop that bar from moving...

This design is quite questionable...

Any ideas to get the bar to stay still no matter what you do? I've used every imaginable ratchet wrench to crank the thing as tight as it will go...still no way to hold as the arm cannot be secured the way it is designed.

Also, they sent 2 washers for the 19mm bolt/nut...WTF? Why would you use a second washer with a lock washer? It only makes it looser...

I think that I had the same problem if I understand you correctly. What I did was arrange the bracket and bolts so that pressure on the peg would actually tighten the bolt. And on the other side you have to install the bolt the other way so that pressure on the peg will act to tighten the bolt. Scratched my head for a while before the light came on, but it works.

IWN2RYD
05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
A lot of these posts have me worried a bit.... Two days ago I ordered

1 x Küryakyn ISO®-Wing Mini Boards (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=257) $103.99 (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=257) 1 x Can-Am Spyder RT, Highway Brackets, (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=436) $169.95 (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=436)
They actually impressed me... They processed my order today and identified a possible neglect on my part. I only read the info on the brackets and not the pegs. So I missed the needed part Item # R-1015... (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=232)

They emailed me asking if I knew I needed the part before they shipped my order. Boy am I happy they went above and beyond!! I needed that part.

But now with all this talk... I wonder if I ordered crappy parts??? :yikes::dontknow::gaah: Is this thread about the RT or RS?

bone crusher
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
A lot of these posts have me worried a bit.... Two days ago I ordered

1 x Küryakyn ISO®-Wing Mini Boards (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=257) $103.99 (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=257) 1 x Can-Am Spyder RT, Highway Brackets, (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=436) $169.95 (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=436)
They actually impressed me... They processed my order today and identified a possible neglect on my part. I only read the info on the brackets and not the pegs. So I missed the needed part Item # R-1015... (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=232)

They emailed me asking if I knew I needed the part before they shipped my order. Boy am I happy they went above and beyond!! I needed that part.

But now with all this talk... I wonder if I ordered crappy parts??? :yikes::dontknow::gaah: Is this thread about the RT or RS?

RS...you really can't get the darn bar to lock into one place unless you lay it against the bracket (or probably fuse it somehow)...just not enough force...so, your peg will ultimately smack against your plastic parts, possibly creating damage...the idea of a single bolt holding down an arm with a peg on it and preventing rotation is almost silly, I am realizing now...

bone crusher
05-06-2010, 12:31 AM
I think that I had the same problem if I understand you correctly. What I did was arrange the bracket and bolts so that pressure on the peg would actually tighten the bolt. And on the other side you have to install the bolt the other way so that pressure on the peg will act to tighten the bolt. Scratched my head for a while before the light came on, but it works.

Perhaps....still a crummy design, IMHO...the bar/arm moves no matter what I do...in the pic of him standing on the peg, it must've been pegged against the bracket (metal on metal)...there is no way you can stand on these without driving the bar into the bracket (rotating it)...you lose most of your comfort positioning if you do this, but as it is, it's the only way to prevent it from moving. I have tried everything I can to prevent the darn arm/bar from rolling around and hitting the bracket...I think the only think left is to weld it in the position I want....certainly more work than should be needed...there should've been some way to have a double bolt system to lock it in place...a single bolt cannot exert enough tension to prevent rotational movement of the arm/bar. I wouldn't have bought these had I known the design was of this nature. I have a friend of a friend (yeah, one of those) who is a welder...we ran this by him and this is likely the only way to stop it from ever moving.

As far as the ISO Wing moving...yeah, you have to seal it down permanently...if not, it will loosen and fall off...another problem...so, you have NO ability to have 'adjustable' footpegs with this setup...anything you do is going to move and loosen up on you...ultimately fall off...

MarkLawson
05-06-2010, 06:55 AM
I think many of us, myself included, have had similar experiences with Küryakyn products. It is frustrating to spend the kind of money they charge & then have it fall apart. In no way am I defending their lack of care in the secure assembling of the various components of their products, but they do provide the following note on the front page of the installation instructions:

PLEASE NOTE
It is the installers’ responsibility to make sure all fasteners (including pre-assembled) are
tightened before operation of motorcycle. Küryakyn will not warranty components that are
lost due to improper installation. Periodic maintenance may be required.

This should be a warning to all of us. Küryakyn has no confidence in their own assembly processes & we need to do what they have failed to do.

I'm guessing it is also sufficient justification for them to refuse your warranty claim.

As for me, anytime I buy their products, I disassemble them & reassemble using some sort of thread locker before installation.

Lamonster
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I think many of us, myself included, have had similar experiences with Küryakyn products. It is frustrating to spend the kind of money they charge & then have it fall apart. In no way am I defending their lack of care in the secure assembling of the various components of their products, but they do provide the following note on the front page of the installation instructions:

PLEASE NOTE
It is the installers’ responsibility to make sure all fasteners (including pre-assembled) are
tightened before operation of motorcycle. Küryakyn will not warranty components that are

This should be a warning to all of us. Küryakyn has no confidence in their own assembly processes & we need to do what they have failed to do.

I'm guessing it is also sufficient justification for them to refuse your warranty claim.

As for me, anytime I buy their products, I disassemble them & reassemble using some sort of thread locker before installation.

I've been using Kury pegs for years and they will all loosen up on you at some point. It's the nature of the beast and those of us that know this just deal with it but I can see where others might think Kury should stand behind them and they do, way behind them.

Bottomline is there are very few options out there for custom pegs and pretty much all of them will do the same thing unless they are one piece.

bone crusher
05-07-2010, 06:43 AM

PLEASE NOTE

With the pegs, I just sealed them down...however, what about the kewlmetal bracket/arm? There is NO way I can see to get that to not move if you put enough pressure on it...welding is likely the only way to go...you would need two bolts on two separate pieces to block the rolling around of the arm (triangular formation)...the way it is designed now ain't too good, IMHO...

Any ideas?

MarkLawson
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
With the pegs, I just sealed them down...however, what about the kewlmetal bracket/arm? There is NO way I can see to get that to not move if you put enough pressure on it...welding is likely the only way to go...you would need two bolts on two separate pieces to block the rolling around of the arm (triangular formation)...the way it is designed now ain't too good, IMHO...

Any ideas?

I installed those on my wife's GS & will have to go back and look at them. She's not mentioned anything about problems with them moving, but may have had them move and not told me.

I'll take a look and get back with you.

Neez
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM

Any ideas?Bones, I have had the problem you describe on my left peg arm. For now I simply retightened it, but if it happens again I intend to use a longer 19 mm bolt, this time with a hex head, and use a hex nut on the inside of the bracket where the longer threads protrude. That way, I should be able to exert considerable clamping force with the hex head and the lock nut should prevent loosening. If that fails, I will grind a spacer to the right dimension and fasten it between the bracket and the arm so that the arm rests on the spacer and the spacer rests on the bracket.

bone crusher
05-07-2010, 09:10 PM

Any ideas?Bones, I have had the problem you describe on my left peg arm. For now I simply retightened it, but if it happens again I intend to use a longer 19 mm bolt, this time with a hex head, and use a hex nut on the inside of the bracket where the longer threads protrude. That way, I should be able to exert considerable clamping force with the hex head and the lock nut should prevent loosening. If that fails, I will grind a spacer to the right dimension and fasten it between the bracket and the arm so that the arm rests on the spacer and the spacer rests on the bracket.

thanks for your input...should all this be necessary? He has a picture with him standing on the peg but this has to be quite deceiving...obviously, he has pegged the arm down to the bracket to do this...by doing this, you lose the ability to be able to fold up the peg and move the peg more forward...

Your wife might not have a problem if she is slight of frame...I'm 6'1", 235 pounds...if I exert any pressure, these things just come loose...the arm on the bracket is a joke...no way to bolt it down...I cranked the thing as hard as I could and even bought a much better lock washer...used red locktite...still no good...very poor construction on this and quite misleading.

I think that scraping down and welding the two pieces exactly where you want them might be the only way to go to get it to stay still...this should not have to be done but the poor construction offers no other option to lock this thing down so that it will not move. I question how much testing was done on this before it went to market....anyone looking at this can see that a single bolt at the end of an arm certainly isn't going to keep it place, esp. with a foot peg and weight on it...it just moves with any considerable pressure.