PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio Receiver for all you XM lovers

murphybrown
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Well, I think I can get excited about this. I have the Ipod interface on my Spyder...just discovered that XM has come out with a new "toy" called XM Sky Dock...which will allow me to have XM thru my Ipod Touch. So I'm going for it. Just an FYI if you get interested they will tell you the Sky Dock is $119.99..negotiate and you get it for $89.99.

WackyDan
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, I think I can get excited about this. I have the Ipod interface on my Spyder...just discovered that XM has come out with a new "toy" called XM Sky Dock...which will allow me to have XM thru my Ipod Touch. So I'm going for it. Just an FYI if you get interested they will tell you the Sky Dock is $119.99..negotiate and you get it for $89.99.

I looked at those... How secure does the Ipod dock to it? I thought about it, and the vibration might be a bit much.

dltang
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I looked at those... How secure does the Ipod dock to it? I thought about it, and the vibration might be a bit much.

I have a Ram mount for my iphone and a Ram Otter box for the iphone and have used both successfully on my spyder, all the way to LA last year and to Missouri this year. The vibration does not seem to bother it a bit. Make sure you don't have the settings at shake to change songs though, or the vibration will make a difference. But since I have the iphone set up to carry, I don't need XM Radio, I just use Pandora, it is free. I also can download a stream from PandoraJam to keep available for when I may be out of signal. I also use a GPS on my phone when I travel and I play the music in the background. It is very nice. I have my BRP back powered so I have the phone plugged in the whole time and don't have to worry about battery life. Just another option.

But not to hijack the thread, if you want XM, the answer to your question is that you should be able to get your dock secure enough that the vibration won't bother it. This is just based on my experience with the RAM mounts and my iphone.

murphybrown
05-04-2010, 12:30 AM

I will let you know when I get it...they said 2-3 days..so figure by end of week.

murphybrown
05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a Ram mount for my iphone and a Ram Otter box for the iphone and have used both successfully on my spyder, all the way to LA last year and to Missouri this year. The vibration does not seem to bother it a bit. Make sure you don't have the settings at shake to change songs though, or the vibration will make a difference. But since I have the iphone set up to carry, I don't need XM Radio, I just use Pandora, it is free. I also can download a stream from PandoraJam to keep available for when I may be out of signal. I also use a GPS on my phone when I travel and I play the music in the background. It is very nice. I have my BRP back powered so I have the phone plugged in the whole time and don't have to worry about battery life. Just another option.

But not to hijack the thread, if you want XM, the answer to your question is that you should be able to get your dock secure enough that the vibration won't bother it. This is just based on my experience with the RAM mounts and my iphone.

Tell me more about the RAM mounts. why, where to buy and where to install. I am mechanically challenged :hun: so keep it simple PLEASE . Thanks so much...:2thumbs:

scudrunner
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
which will allow me to have XM thru my Ipod Touch.
There is already 2 apps for the iPhone/Touch to get XM radio (through internet), the second one being the Sky Dock..... and they are both free. Of course, for you Touch you need wifi. I solved that problem by getting a app for my Windows Mobile phone that will turn it into a wifi hub for up to 5 devices. I just use the hub for my Touch and I'm all set. There is also an app for the Mobile phone, but it doesn't work for me.

2manycars
05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
How do you hook up the "magnetic mount" antenna? There is no metal it wil stock to on the spyder as near as I can tell

Brevet05
05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
How do you hook up the "magnetic mount" antenna? There is no metal it wil stock to on the spyder as near as I can tell
If you've the RT, there are two screws in the lip of the lid. You can let the magnet cling to the screw and close the lid, which is apparently invisible to the satellite receiver. Best of both worlds; XM radio without the telltale antenna.

kytten
05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Tell me more about the RAM mounts. why, where to buy and where to install. I am mechanically challenged :hun: so keep it simple PLEASE . Thanks so much...:2thumbs:

http://www.ram-mount.com/

I looked at these this weekend because I'd like to get one to mount my GPS. I found the 'search wizard' to be the easiest to use. You basically need like a bracket and then the mount. The bracket fits on your electronic device and then on the mount. The mount then fits on your motorcycle. There are different mounts and different brackets depending on what you want to do with it.

WackyDan
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
There is already 2 apps for the iPhone/Touch to get XM radio (through internet), the second one being the Sky Dock..... and they are both free. Of course, for you Touch you need wifi. I solved that problem by getting a app for my Windows Mobile phone that will turn it into a wifi hub for up to 5 devices. I just use the hub for my Touch and I'm all set. There is also an app for the Mobile phone, but it doesn't work for me.

Yup, problem is that XM over internet somewhat sucks when you are in the boonies where the twisties are. XM over the internet really isn't "XM" if you get what I mean. Tried it on my Blackberry and it was fine in close to densely populated areas, but terrible remote - Just like Pandora is.

dltang
05-04-2010, 10:46 PM

I order all my mounts from http://www.gpscity.com/ GPS City. Best prices I have found. Here is what it looks like with the regular mount and with my phone in it. Also another picture of the parts and the aqua box.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Extra%20photos%20for%20upload/Zi6_0955-1.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Extra%20photos%20for%20upload/Zi6_0957-1.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/Extra%20photos%20for%20upload/Zi6_0958-1.jpg

scudrunner
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Yup, problem is that XM over internet somewhat sucks when you are in the boonies where the twisties are. XM over the internet really isn't "XM" if you get what I mean. Tried it on my Blackberry and it was fine in close to densely populated areas, but terrible remote - Just like Pandora is.

True, if you don't get a cell, you don't get XM. I'm just too cheap to pay the price for a second receiver. If they'd give me a decent enough break, I might consider it.

WackyDan
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
True, if you don't get a cell, you don't get XM. I'm just too cheap to pay the price for a second receiver. If they'd give me a decent enough break, I might consider it.

It is only like $8 to add a 2nd receiver to your account. ????