PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulb type?

dave01
05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Other than tearing the front off my Spyder, does anyone know what size/type of bulbs are used in the rt headlights and foglights. I have read the manual and cant seem to find the answer. Would love to carry a spare for each before the Chicago trip, just in case. Thanks in advance.

NancysToy
05-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Headlights are 65W HB3 (9005) halogen. Foglights are the same as the RS, 35W H8 bulbs.

dave01
05-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Scotty. I figured if the spyders go into limp mode when a tail light goes out, what will they do if a headlight bulb blows, go into PARK mode...LOL

NancysToy
05-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Loss of a single foglight bulb will not do anything. Dealer neglected to hook up one of mine at time of prep, and it showed no codes or any symptoms. I didn't find it for several days. Pain to change, BTW.

dave01
05-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Loss of a single foglight bulb will not do anything. Dealer neglected to hook up one of mine at time of prep, and it showed no codes or any symptoms. I didn't find it for several days. Pain to change, BTW.
I remember seeing your post. I kinda figured the fogs would be ok, but the headlight might throw a code or limp. Not wanting to take the chance before the 1200+ miles to Chicago

NancysToy
05-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Just to be clear------the headlights are NOT H7 bulbs??????
Not on the RT.

dave01
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Who is handling that HID kit on the site???? or at least the Xenon bulbs???

No company has the HID kits for the RTS. I have seen Xenon bulbs on Sylvania and Philips websites.

IWN2RYD
05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Good info thanks!!! A quick Google found these.... http://www.eautoworks.com/search-ALL/bu51.htm?gclid=CKLB54TKt6ECFRRM5Qod0QigAw

InspectorGadget
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I just purchased and installed a slim digital set for my RT headlights from a US supplier on Ebay for $42.00 shipped to the house. They work so good I have ordered another set for my fog lights with the appropriate bulbs for $42.00. 2 year warranty (if they're still in business) http://stores.ebay.com/xenonfactory
Total project cost $84.00 compared to >$400.00----it was a no brainer, and installation was plug & play.
I will post any glitches or problems if they occur.
C-YA RL

SpyderFun
08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I just purchased and installed a slim digital set for my RT headlights from a US supplier on Ebay for $42.00 shipped to the house. They work so good I have ordered another set for my fog lights with the appropriate bulbs for $42.00. 2 year warranty (if they're still in business) http://stores.ebay.com/xenonfactory
Total project cost $84.00 compared to >$400.00----it was a no brainer, and installation was plug & play.
I will post any glitches or problems if they occur.
C-YA RL

Which bulb kit did you find that worked (Head lights & Fog lights)?

InspectorGadget
08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Which bulb kit did you find that worked (Head lights & Fog lights)?
Headlight was the 9005(HB3) and the fog lights are the H8, both in the 6000K diamond white. They have a slight bluish tint and look great besides providing much needed light for my aging eyes;)
Thanks C-YA RL

SpyderFun
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Thank You! :bowdown:

crtravelnmore
08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Headlight was the 9005(HB3) and the fog lights are the H8, both in the 6000K diamond white. They have a slight bluish tint and look great besides providing much needed light for my aging eyes;)
Thanks C-YA RL

Did you get the regular 9005 hid bulb or did you have to buy the 9005 Bi-xenon bulbs with the solenoid in them for hi/low?:dontknow: Did you get a normal hid set of h8's for the foglight? Just courious if there is clearance issues?

Thank you all for this info:bowdown: I've been trying to get this info for months and could never get verified results.:2thumbs:

NancysToy
08-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Did you get the regular 9005 hid bulb or did you have to buy the 9005 Bi-xenon bulbs with the solenoid in them for hi/low?:dontknow: Did you get a normal hid set of h8's for the foglight? Just courious if there is clearance issues?

Thank you all for this info:bowdown: I've been trying to get this info for months and could never get verified results.:2thumbs:
Spyder headlights are single filament. they use a shutter that covers the upper part of the lens to do the low beam.

crtravelnmore
08-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Spyder headlights are single filament. they use a shutter that covers the upper part of the lens to do the low beam.

I understand. I put a set of HID's on my Burgman400. They should look like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-HID-Replacement-2-Bulbs-Bi-XENON-H4-Hi-Lo-6000K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf0950091QQitemZ33045 3811345QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

I'm assumming the RT is the same way, leaving me to think I will need to replace the OEM RT set up and buy the complete housing like the link shows, not just a regular 9005 HID bulb. I already have a 9005 HID digital kit new in box from last year. I haven't taken apart the RT's front end yet. I would like to understand what I need before taking ALL that stuff apart and not being able to ride.:mad: This is why I was asking InspectorGadget since he just did it.:helpsmilie:

InspectorGadget
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I understand. I put a set of HID's on my Burgman400. They should look like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-HID-Replacement-2-Bulbs-Bi-XENON-H4-Hi-Lo-6000K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf0950091QQitemZ33045 3811345QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

I'm assumming the RT is the same way, leaving me to think I will need to replace the OEM RT set up and buy the complete housing like the link shows, not just a regular 9005 HID bulb. I already have a 9005 HID digital kit new in box from last year. I haven't taken apart the RT's front end yet. I would like to understand what I need before taking ALL that stuff apart and not being able to ride.:mad: This is why I was asking InspectorGadget since he just did it.:helpsmilie:
I got mine here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140407172629&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT and made an offer for $42.00.
The change out involves removing the mirrors, the wind wings, the lower covers next to the front wheels, the upper side panels, and then the front cover under the windscreen/around the lights has to come off. The 4 light bolts are now accessable and the lights will pull out toward the front with a little twisting. OH don't forget to unfasten the light adjusting cable.
About a 10 min. job to get to where you are going. It was about a 1.5 hr job and the hardest part was finding a secure place to mount the slim ballast & transformer. It was tight getting it back in, but it went well and was well worth the time and effort.
Good luck and let me know if I can assist further with information.
C-YA RL

crtravelnmore
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I got mine here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140407172629&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT and made an offer for $42.00.
The change out involves removing the mirrors, the wind wings, the lower covers next to the front wheels, the upper side panels, and then the front cover under the windscreen/around the lights has to come off. The 4 light bolts are now accessable and the lights will pull out toward the front with a little twisting. OH don't forget to unfasten the light adjusting cable.
About a 10 min. job to get to where you are going. It was about a 1.5 hr job and the hardest part was finding a secure place to mount the slim ballast & transformer. It was tight getting it back in, but it went well and was well worth the time and effort.
C-YA RL

Thanks for the info:2thumbs: This means I can use the standard 9005 kit I have on the shelf.:D

SpydermanCT
12-07-2010, 06:26 AM
C-YA RL

When you purchased these kits did you have to buy the same kit with different bulbs for HID fog lights on your RT??

InspectorGadget
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
When you purchased these kits did you have to buy the same kit with different bulbs for HID fog lights on your RT??
YES---I just specified a different bulb for the fog lights.
More details here http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/12758-hid-lighting/page__view__findpost__p__103996
C-YA RL

SpydermanCT
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
YES---I just specified a different bulb for the fog lights.
More details here http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/12758-hid-lighting/page__view__findpost__p__103996
C-YA RL

Sorry I missed that on your earlier, might I say, very detailed posting. I think I'll have to look into some HID's to mount on my reading glasses. I'll assume you have not had any issues? And lastly, would you say you have sufficient hours using them to be comfortable saying "success"! I'm in the car business and I run into many melted harness problems every year from people installing aftermarket HID kits. I agree with you that there is a serious need to upgrade the headlights on the RT and I'm hoping this is the solution. I haven't found any other options from our sponsor vendors, and including BRP to accomplish HID's. I'd almost be willing to pay for factory replacements for peace of mind but it doesn't look like thats going to happen.Thanks for your imput.

Freezing my butt in Connecticut ~ can't wait for spring ! :ohyea:

NancysToy
12-07-2010, 09:45 PM
BRP has announced the availability of HID lights for the RT as an accessory in 2011, but when they will be available is anybody's guess...as is the cost.

InspectorGadget
12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I'll assume you have not had any issues? And lastly, would you say you have sufficient hours using them to be comfortable saying "success"! I'm in the car business and I run into many melted harness problems every year from people installing aftermarket HID kits. Thanks for your imput.

Freezing my butt in Connecticut ~ can't wait for spring ! :ohyea:
NO issues as yet. I drive with the fog lights on all of the time.
I just had the headlight assembly apart and everything looks good as far as the harnesses, so you can definatly say "success" :D
Good luck and keep warm. C-YA RL

bruceofthebronx
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Can anyone tell me the bulb size needed to replace the stock headlights? Thank you.

NancysToy
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Can anyone tell me the bulb size needed to replace the stock headlights? Thank you.
As I said earlier in this thread...

Headlights are 65W HB3 (9005) halogen. Foglights are the same as the RS, 35W H8 bulbs.

bruceofthebronx
12-09-2010, 05:12 AM
As I said earlier in this thread...
The frustrated eyes did not see this. Seasons Greetings.

cjackg
12-15-2010, 07:35 PM
C-YA RL

I just completed the same HID conversion on my RT and bought the HID kit on eBay from the same place (XenonFactory), got it for $38.40 delivered (I also bought 2 spare HID bulbs from the same vendor).
It took me quite a bit longer to get it installed but this was the first time I had the panels off the RT.
Using InspectorGadgets directions, it all came together as he described. The final test.... headlights failed to light up! but, after reversing the polarity on the plugs leading into the ballast it all worked great, and for a total cost less than $40, it is a super nice Spyder RT upgrade.

Thanks to RL for sharing & for all his help !

SpyderRider
12-19-2010, 10:56 PM
I was trying this week to install my fog lights and found the light bayonets for the fog lights did not match up correctly. The two bottoms where the same but the top most was wider and would not allow my twist/mount properly. :( They are both tagged H8 and came from the same source (Xenon Factory via eBay). Have any of you guys had the same issue? Did you have to modify mount?

Please advise.

stevedfive
09-03-2012, 12:34 PM
My 2010 RT owners manual states the headlights are 55W, but someone stated they are 65W, so what do I buy? :dontknow:

NancysToy
09-03-2012, 12:39 PM
My 2010 RT owners manual states the headlights are 55W, but someone stated they ar 65W, so what do I buy? :dontknow:
Forget the wattage. Buy according to the bulb designation. The headlights on an RT are HB3 or 9005.

stevedfive
09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Ok, thanks. I was always told to be careful with the electrical. I don't want something to happen and throw it into limp mode.

dick574
09-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I got my HID lights, both head & fog, (4300K) from a site sponsor, KB Carstuffs.