PDA

View Full Version : Right Side Heat!

tea6638
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Not sure if anyone has addressed this before but, today my wife was complaining about the heat coming up the right side making her right leg hot. I stopped, and felt an extreme amount of heat coming from the exhaust area. Anyone else ?

Sopher
05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Not sure if anyone has addressed this before but, today my wife was complaining about the heat coming up the right side making her right leg hot. I stopped, and felt an extreme amount of heat coming from the exhaust area. Anyone else ?

uh... yea. That's the RSBT. It comes on after the engine has been warmed up. Check the upper panel and make sure it's inside clips are holding the bottom kick panel near the foot pegs.

p.s. RSBT = Right Side Blow Torch...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack:

IWN2RYD
05-03-2010, 01:19 AM
We felt this today as well. But we felt it from the front area, not the exhaust :dontknow:

Our thought was this being the first time we drove over 100 miles in one stretch with the weather being over 85f... Contributed to the excess heat. This and possibly a part of the break in time?

However... Ours fluctuated... The analog Temp gauge went to one line from reaching the red area... Then cooled off a few moment later to about 2/3rds.

This process repeated about four times....

We spoke about it for a bit, and wonder what will happen when 100f weather hits and we are on a long ride.....

2Gunns
05-03-2010, 12:14 PM

my wife complained about the same thing this weekend....course she was not wearing proper gear, sandles & capri pants are not proper motorcycle attire.

fastfraser
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Hot machine running even hotter after the last update .

3Ryder
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Has anyone experimented with redirecting the "blowtorch" as it exits the right side? Fortunately, my RT runs in a very steady temp range (e.g. the analog needle ran just slightly above horizontal while riding in 113 degree heat yesterday), but that blowtorch is tough. And when I put my right foot on the ESI peg, it seems to be even more in line with the blast.

It's certainly something I can live with, but was curious to know if any creative types had figured out how to redirect the flow, possibly downwards.

VaughnCat
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
uh... yea. That's the RSBT. It comes on after the engine has been warmed up. Check the upper panel and make sure it's inside clips are holding the bottom kick panel near the foot pegs.

p.s. RSBT = Right Side Blow Torch...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack:

Also suspected to be a major contributor to global warming :yikes: . . . .

Seriously, we've experienced it on both the RS & RT (warmer on RS, however).... there are several posts where spyderlovers have come up with their own clever ways of deflecting and/or dealing with the heat.....

wexgary
06-09-2010, 11:36 PM
we experienced excess heat on 2009 se5 rs.. local trike dealer developed a diverter that cuts about 85% of heat away from legs, looks factory, and does not cause bike to run any hotter..we're in Vegas, & driving in 110 degrees, is much more comfortable...you can contact Rick at Motorcycle Trike Toys in Las Vegas, Nv (702) 856-0308

3Ryder
06-10-2010, 12:03 PM
we experienced excess heat on 2009 se5 rs.. local trike dealer developed a diverter that cuts about 85% of heat away from legs, looks factory, and does not cause bike to run any hotter..we're in Vegas, & driving in 110 degrees, is much more comfortable...you can contact Rick at Motorcycle Trike Toys in Las Vegas, Nv (702) 856-0308

Are you going on the ride on Saturday? Would love to see what they did.

lawrenc454
06-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Would like to a photo if it is for the RT. Thanks in advance. Lonnie

smoothride
06-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi guys,

these are not snowmobile!, i would imagine the engeneers from brp would to be smarter! it's goes very hot.

my body kit does save me a lot of heat transfer compare to my friend that doesn't have any. it's at least twice the heat on his spyder.

a body kit is the way to go!:2thumbs:

is there anything else we could do to run it cooler?

Marc Goldstone
06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
:yes: :2thumbs:

I am a fairly new Spyder owner. (Purchased our 2010 RSS bike two months ago)

In my humble opinion the SE5 Spyder has a design issue that causes excessive temperatures on the legs of the driver. This is most prevalent when the ambient temperature exceeds about 100 degrees F. In the desert southwest and Bullhead City Arizona in particular our summer temperatures have already reached 113 degrees and it is only the beginning of June. The right leg gets the brunt of the heat, except when the wind is blowing from the right side of the bike, then the left leg experiences uncomfortable temperatures. If stopped at a long traffic light, the initial heat appeared to be from the exhaust, (no leaks) but when the radiator fan kicked in the pain got really unbearable.

The following "fixes" describe an acceptable resolution of the engine heat problem:

First, I purchased and installed the Spyderpops "missing air dam" which seemed to help cool the engine more effectively (fewer bars while moving) but the leg burning continued at high ambient temperatures and while stopped. A partial fix at best.

In frustration I next tried two additional modifications implemented at the same time. The first was to wrap both exhaust pipes with 2" width graphite black exhaust insulating wrap from the engine exhaust port down to the spring loaded exhaust flange on the left side and beyond the spring (spring not covered) down to the bottom of the bike on the right exhaust pipe. The wrap was applied dry with about 1/2" of overlap. I didn't bother to wrap the exhaust pipes located at the very bottom of the bike as the frame adequately deflects that heat. I found the stainless steel "cable wraps" difficult to install and tighten so instead I used some steel wire like the type used to tie rebar. Looping one or two turns around the Fiberglas wrapping material and twisting tight with a plier was much quicker and far superior at clamping the pipe wrap to the exhaust pipe. I read about this pipe wrap on the forums.

Lastly I fabricated an air dam extension for the right side cowling to deflect more air from the cooling fan out the opening on the right side of the cowling. I got the idea for this from several forum posts (Australian and Domestic) Rather than using a "notebook cover" plastic material I chose a piece of aluminum roof (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#) flashing and was able to gradually cut it to size in place. It was then screwed to the standard plastic air dam and for good measure was also siliconed in place. I added a strip of "continuous grommet" made of nylon material and siliconed it on the edge that is closest to the fan shroud because the cut aluminum edge was sharp. Since the radiator host runs along the top edge of the plastic air dam I was careful in the screw placement to avoid puncturing the hose.

The first test took place today and in 109 degree heat the only heat on the right leg (wearing shorts) was when my thigh touched the torx body panel screws. They were somewhat hot but easy to avoid by adjusting my leg position. There was absolutely no uncomfortable heat felt on either leg even in stop and go traffic.

My Wife and I will be driving 750 miles next week through southern Utah, Zion National Park, Page Arizona, the south rim of the grand canyon and finally old route 66 back to Bullhead City. The temperatures can be expected to be well over 110 degrees at times so this will be a good test, though I am confident that the problem has been solved.

It took about an hour of driving to burn off the silicone coating on the "cool it" Thermo Tec exhaust wrap which I purchased from Autohttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#) Zone for about $50. During that time the bike give off some smoke but not to worry, there is no chance of a fire during this out gassing.

My next redesign project of a much lesser priority will be to resolve the brake squeal. I plan on trying some 3M VHB high temperature tape between the piston and the brake shoes. Again the idea came from several forum posts.

IWN2RYD
06-11-2010, 10:33 AM
:yes: :2thumbs:

I am a fairly new Spyder owner. (Purchased our 2010 RSS bike two months ago)

In my humble opinion the SE5 Spyder has a design issue that causes excessive temperatures on the legs of the driver. This is most prevalent when the ambient temperature exceeds about 100 degrees F. In the desert southwest and Bullhead City Arizona in particular our summer temperatures have already reached 113 degrees and it is only the beginning of June. The right leg gets the brunt of the heat, except when the wind is blowing from the right side of the bike, then the left leg experiences uncomfortable temperatures. If stopped at a long traffic light, the initial heat appeared to be from the exhaust, (no leaks) but when the radiator fan kicked in the pain got really unbearable.

The following "fixes" describe an acceptable resolution of the engine heat problem:

First, I purchased and installed the Spyderpops "missing air dam" which seemed to help cool the engine more effectively (fewer bars while moving) but the leg burning continued at high ambient temperatures and while stopped. A partial fix at best.

In frustration I next tried two additional modifications implemented at the same time. The first was to wrap both exhaust pipes with 2" width graphite black exhaust insulating wrap from the engine exhaust port down to the spring loaded exhaust flange on the left side and beyond the spring (spring not covered) down to the bottom of the bike on the right exhaust pipe. The wrap was applied dry with about 1/2" of overlap. I didn't bother to wrap the exhaust pipes located at the very bottom of the bike as the frame adequately deflects that heat. I found the stainless steel "cable wraps" difficult to install and tighten so instead I used some steel wire like the type used to tie rebar. Looping one or two turns around the Fiberglas wrapping material and twisting tight with a plier was much quicker and far superior at clamping the pipe wrap to the exhaust pipe. I read about this pipe wrap on the forums.

Lastly I fabricated an air dam extension for the right side cowling to deflect more air from the cooling fan out the opening on the right side of the cowling. I got the idea for this from several forum posts (Australian and Domestic) Rather than using a "notebook cover" plastic material I chose a piece of aluminum roof (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#) flashing and was able to gradually cut it to size in place. It was then screwed to the standard plastic air dam and for good measure was also siliconed in place. I added a strip of "continuous grommet" made of nylon material and siliconed it on the edge that is closest to the fan shroud because the cut aluminum edge was sharp. Since the radiator host runs along the top edge of the plastic air dam I was careful in the screw placement to avoid puncturing the hose.

The first test took place today and in 109 degree heat the only heat on the right leg (wearing shorts) was when my thigh touched the torx body panel screws. They were somewhat hot but easy to avoid by adjusting my leg position. There was absolutely no uncomfortable heat felt on either leg even in stop and go traffic.

My Wife and I will be driving 750 miles next week through southern Utah, Zion National Park, Page Arizona, the south rim of the grand canyon and finally old route 66 back to Bullhead City. The temperatures can be expected to be well over 110 degrees at times so this will be a good test, though I am confident that the problem has been solved.

It took about an hour of driving to burn off the silicone coating on the "cool it" Thermo Tec exhaust wrap which I purchased from Autohttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/#) Zone for about $50. During that time the bike give off some smoke but not to worry, there is no chance of a fire during this out gassing.

My next redesign project of a much lesser priority will be to resolve the brake squeal. I plan on trying some 3M VHB high temperature tape between the piston and the brake shoes. Again the idea came from several forum posts.

Excellent post!!! :clap::bowdown:

Do you have any pictures for my braincell to better comprehend what you did? :roflblack:

3Ryder
06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Are you referring to your fix on an RT or an RS? Avatar suggests RT and a "design flaw in the SE-5", but you also refer to RSS and it was my understanding that the "missing air dam" was for the RS. Can you send a picture of the metal deflector you crafted? Thanks.

Marc Goldstone
06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Next time I disassemble the cowling I will take photos of the aluminum extension. Earlier in this thread someone had posted photos of the plastic version and it looks pretty similar, though slightly longer. I forgot to mention that the aluminum was spray painted flat black so that it could not be seen from outside the bike.

My bike is the 2010 SE5 RS-S configuration NOT the touring bike. I understand that the touring model already had made great strides to keep the rider's legs comfortable via its new body design.

VaughnCat
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Next time I disassemble the cowling I will take photos of the aluminum extension. Earlier in this thread someone had posted photos of the plastic version and it looks pretty similar, though slightly longer. I forgot to mention that the aluminum was spray painted flat black so that it could not be seen from outside the bike.

My bike is the 2010 SE5 RS-S configuration NOT the touring bike. I understand that the touring model already had made great strides to keep the rider's legs comfortable via its new body design.

Rick emailed me some pics but I still can't figure out where it mounts and how it deflects the heat . . . :dontknow:
Sounds like a great concept, can't wait to hear how it works for you, and see pics of yours. . . . at your convenience (no pressure ;)).

Cat

Spydeb
06-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I am a new 2009 SM5 rider and I too am experiencing significant right side heat. Our temps have only hit high 90's here, I too will be looking for a solution if anyone has one.

1VENOM
06-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Pics please:pray:

Tee_racy
06-20-2010, 01:12 PM
RTS SE-5 Touring Spyder - with all these posts surely BRP has come up with factory mods for this heat... I know they likely expect proper riding gear to make it tolerable but with a great bike there should be great comfort - the heat has to and needs to go somewhere else - I was pretty sure yesterday riding in 98 degree Houston weather I was getting a second degree burn. I had to look several times.. both sides were putting out very hot air flow (hair dryer on high) onto my shins... I am not the most mechanical guy and that's why I bought extended warranty and maintenance agreements... somebody could make some money here putting together a kit - I know I would buy it!:chat:

Tee_racy
06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I bought my Spyder about a month ago and within a week experienced squealing of the brakes and a number of stall outs when slowing or breaking..... my dealer told me BRP had come out with the 3rd set of brake shoes to solve the squealing and they would contact BRP for the stall problem but that BRP had already known about it and had a clutch kit to correct it.... yesterday I picked up my bike and no more squealing and no stalls whatsoever and no drop in RPM below 1300... the heat from the front exhaust is still kicking my behind ... but I love riding that bike!:spyder2:

spyder_RT
06-21-2010, 06:30 PM
So Marc Goldstone in his post for his RS he wrapped the pipes to cut some of the heat. So if I wrap my pipes would that make the engine hotter. The fiberglass on my bike gets vary hot and it is from the pipes. The glove box even gets hot and there is a lot of air flow from there to I will have to look into that to.

bikeguy
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
The same insulated boots that keep your feet warm in the winter will help to keep them cool (well, bearable, at least) in the summer. My wife and I both wear denim jeans winter and summer. I would burn up with shorts on from the sun as well as from the Spyder's engine heat. Also keeping your feet and legs in close to the bike will help on the Spyder RT as the air vents from the radiator and oil cooler away from the bike.

Cotton

AnthonyG
06-22-2010, 01:38 PM

I have bad legs and poor circulation and my legs get a little hot, but boy is it nice in the winter. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

manoman14
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I took the plastic air diverters that live under the mirrors off once it got hot. Lets the air circulate a lot better, so I don't notice near as much engine heat. Once the weather cools down this fall they will return to their original position.

Spydeb
06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey Spydeb we are in Cleburne my wife and I each have a :spyder2:
I was going to post that we should be wearing boots while riding as per you pic looks like you are. Another thing that will help some until we can come up with a mod to fix the heat is to get some cool max socks they do seem to reduce some of the heat as they help draw the heat away from your feet.

As you know already TX gets nasty quick
hope we can hook up sometime the Wife and I were thinking of a meet and greet, eat and then a ride out from the house, to see how many we could see

Hey whats the 90s thing we have been hitting 100 down here

Just saw your post... sorry I didn't respond sooner.
We have a few Spyder Riders meeting in Godley in the morning at 8:30 am and then riding to Cranfills Gap and back if you are interested. We would love to have ya'll along.

MouthPiece
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I've experienced the heat on the right hand side too. Today it was hotter than a ten p......krd billy goat, and the heat was not only coming out from the fan hole like a blow torch, but also the cracks in the panels. (both left and right). I figure it goes with the territory though. I mean after all the heat is captured in the coating. Like I said it was 98 degrees here and I just expect the thing to be hot. I'm a fool too in that I wear shorts most of the time when riding around.

CHRIS PE# 0004

boborgera
06-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm a fool too in that I wear shorts most of the time when riding around.

CHRIS PE# 0004

:agree:
No argument here.:D:roflblack:

CSX4350
06-26-2010, 01:03 AM
I've actually noticed just in the last few rides that I am getting a lot of heat from the right side radiator vent. It goes back, hits the saddle bag and seems deflect up and forward right into my head and right side. It is not pleasant, for sure.

dancogan
06-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm a fool too in that I wear shorts most of the time when riding around.

CHRIS PE# 0004
Riding pants would certainly help, but maybe this will make you feel better. I had an early production Buell Ulysses, famous for right side heat. It got so hot it melted the fabric on the right thigh of my pants - while I was wearing them!

wexgary
06-26-2010, 12:42 PM
the picture is of our bike, we have deflectors on both sides

burntup
06-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I have been in garage for two days addressing this issue. I have come up with a piece that I think will cut the heat down to a comfortable tolerance. I took some roof flashing and cut it so that it left about two inches open on the side and about two inches on bottom. I drilled 1/8 inch holes all in it. I secured it with two sided molding tape that way I could remove easily. I have taken the rt for about 100 miles since the spyder got to one bar from red while driving in 1st gear for about three miles at ten to fifteen mph. The heat on leg was minimal and very tolerable. I am going to remove and drill some larger holes in some areas to be safe, then replace. This will do while I am cutting the spyder web pattern out of a new one. I think you could cut it in and just do real small holes for the web and it would do the same. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will but I can email the picks to anyone who want just let me know I hope this will help you guys it sure helped me. Does anyone know of a cold air intake for the 2010 rt. :2excited: :thumbup:

BMF_RACING
04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
. I'm a fool too in that I wear shorts most of the time when riding around.

CHRIS PE# 0004

I'm a year around shorts guy, guessing I will need to address this heat issue also :thumbup: ... can't wait to see some pics of more solutions.

Marker
04-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Just checked out site sponsor ISCI www.industrialspecialty.com (http://www.industrialspecialty.com) they make a fan can for the RS models that fir over the fan and redirexct the heat check it out !. ISCI make quality acc for the both the :spyder:RT and RS. Although did nor see fan can for RT :thumbup: I have read nothing but positive comments about them on this forum.
Also for RT and RS check out Baker air wings , they are also a site sponsor www.bakerbuilt.com

Jornie1
04-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Easy to make...easy to install... Len

tea6638
04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Quick fix to the right side heat. Remove the plastic pan under the right side. It will allow more air from the front and redirect most of the hot air further back under the chassis. I did it, and it worked. Wife did not complain about the heat on the hottest days last summer.

stevedfive
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey Tea6638,

On the parts list, would that be the "RH deflector panel"?

Marker
04-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Quick fix to the right side heat. Remove the plastic pan under the right side. It will allow more air from the front and redirect most of the hot air further back under the chassis. I did it, and it worked. Wife did not complain about the heat on the hottest days last summer.

Hey Tea6638,

On the parts list, would that be the "RH deflector panel"?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

tea6638
04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
not sure of it's proper nomenclature, but if you take the right side access panel off and look down inside, that's it. It's like a rubber skid plate.

upsdoctor
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Baker Air Wings will help keep you cool by redirecting more airflow to the driver. Gold Wing owners have been using these for years. I installed a set back in January.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/spyrt.html

I have a .pdf file with pictures if your interested. The file is too large to upload, so send me a private message with your email if you would like a copy of the file.