PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Question

SC_DOC
05-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Perhaps someone from Can Am can help with this one. I understand the Y factor origin but wonder where the name "SPYDER" came from. Did it have anything to do with the names of multiple sport car models and the hybridization of the motorcycle with the sports car? :dontknow:

Tripod
05-02-2010, 07:30 AM
BRP has always refered to the Spyder as a roadster. There have been many automotive Spyders models, all open top roadsters, mostly of foreign (other than USA) origin... Porsche Spyders, Alfa Romeo Veloce Spyders, Mitzubishi's Eclipise Spyders, etc. Since BRP is a French Canadien company, I'm sure it was influenced by the term.

Tripod :joke:

SpyderWolf
05-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Perhaps someone from Can Am can help with this one. I understand the Y factor origin but wonder where the name "SPYDER" came from. Did it have anything to do with the names of multiple sport car models and the hybridization of the motorcycle with the sports car? :dontknow:

That is exactly where the name came from. They have never really referred to the Spyder as a motorcycle, as it is in a class by itself. They named it the Can-Am Spyder Roadster as Tripod stated, that is also why there are some states that do not require a motorcycle license for you to ryde one. :D

dave01
05-02-2010, 09:50 AM
My guess is it came from the shape of the vehicle in relation to the letter "Y" in Spyder. Thats why they emphasize it in thier logo. I guess it could have been any word with a Y in it, but spYder had it in the middle.

When I activated my LOJAK, the BRP spyder would not come up and now I hava a Mazarati Spyder...LOL