PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Sale on Garmin 2010 Maps

kentompkins
05-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Amazon has a great price on the update to Garmin maps ($30) for those traveling this summer.

http://amzn.to/9Ok1i0

ken tompkins

ThreeWheels
05-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Excellent find. Thanks

BillGargan
05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Garmin offers a "lifetime" update option at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=33381 for $150. It is discounted on Amazon.

It may seem a bit pricy, but if you are to keep your Garmin for an extended period, you will save in the long run, even at $30 for a single update. They offer a couple a year.

Also, most Garmin's get one free update. Check out map updates for your unit on their website.

WackyDan
05-02-2010, 11:30 AM
My opinion, if it is worth anything... :D

GPS units are getting cheaper and cheaper. For those that use the run of the mill types, buying a new one every two years is probably the better option than a lifetime subscription on one model for updates.

I paid $399 for my Magellan 4250... It broke inside of 3 months. They replaced it with a new unit that never worked right. Bought a newer, and more advanced Magellan a year later for $150, less than half the price of the last model... it died in two weeks... replacement never worked right either.

Bought a GArmin 1300t for $239 last September.... It is still working just fine! I can now find the 1300 for as low as $129.

I'm now getting ready to get a DROID based phone... That will use Google maps for navigation and I will see how good it really is... Probably serve as backup.

Now... I do want the Zumo 665 which retails for $999 with some sources selling for $800+.... If I invested that much into a GPS I'd most certainly buy the lifetime updates as long as I could buy an extended warranty on the bugger.

It is all math eh? :2thumbs:

Garmin offers a "lifetime" update option at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=33381 for $150. It is discounted on Amazon.

It may seem a bit pricy, but if you are to keep your Garmin for an extended period, you will save in the long run, even at $30 for a single update. They offer a couple a year.

Also, most Garmin's get one free update. Check out map updates for your unit on their website.

Star Cruiser
05-02-2010, 10:43 PM

I think it is a great deal and I did buy a "lifetime" update for my Garmin. Just a heads up... the updates are for teh lifetime of your UNIT. When you get a new unit (or decide that the old unit is not worth getting repaired) maps CANNOT be updated with the new serial number. Still a good deal, but if you are using an inexpensive model, think about the possibility of upgradiing before purchasing the lifetime update.

bone crusher
05-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I still have my 4250, which I use on trips...works well but screen is damaged in a few spots.

My 550 is awesome...will not replace this thing for a long time!

How about the 660 vs. the 665 for you? Save a couple of hundred dollars...not giving up too much in terms of functionality...

You're not gonna put your droid on a mount and put a bag over it, are you?

My opinion, if it is worth anything... :D

GPS units are getting cheaper and cheaper. For those that use the run of the mill types, buying a new one every two years is probably the better option than a lifetime subscription on one model for updates.

I paid $399 for my Magellan 4250... It broke inside of 3 months. They replaced it with a new unit that never worked right. Bought a newer, and more advanced Magellan a year later for $150, less than half the price of the last model... it died in two weeks... replacement never worked right either.

Bought a GArmin 1300t for $239 last September.... It is still working just fine! I can now find the 1300 for as low as $129.

I'm now getting ready to get a DROID based phone... That will use Google maps for navigation and I will see how good it really is... Probably serve as backup.

Now... I do want the Zumo 665 which retails for $999 with some sources selling for $800+.... If I invested that much into a GPS I'd most certainly buy the lifetime updates as long as I could buy an extended warranty on the bugger.

It is all math eh? :2thumbs: