PDA

View Full Version : Many dollars later I want the RT

2manycars
05-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Four weeks ago a bought a leftover 2009 RS SE knowing I would have to add "some" items to make it more comfortable. Since than I have added the ISCI boards, comfort seat, extended brake pedal, C.H.A.D. windscreen, Kewl Metal risers, ISCI pegs, tank bag, and hand-brake. Now that I have added over $3500.00 to the RS I realize that regardless of what I do, I will not be able to make it into the "touring machine" I want.

It looks like I will have to take a huge loss and trade the RS for an RT SE, which I understand also means adding the AC package in order to get the SE I want. I love the spyder, and am reasonably comfortable, but it looks like the spyder will become almost my regular mode of transportation since I ride year round.

All that being said, I would like some opinions regarding the differences between the RS and the RT. Is it worth the price difference? How is the comfort factor? In other words will I still have to put a lot of money into it to make it comfortable (upright seating and so on). I plan to remove the hand-brake and highway pegs at least, and possibly the boards as well, since I am sure they will give me virtually nothing for anything I added on.

The dealer I bought the RS from offered to give me 12K for the RS-a 4K loss right there, and said "they will not discount the RT since they are getting so few and can get full retail for every unit. Obviously I will shop around and there are a number of dealers within a couple of hours of me in PA (I am an hour from Allentown, and 45 minutes or so from Phila.).

Even with the huge loss, I feel the extras, like the added wind protection for the winter and so on might make it a much more enjoyable machine for me in the long run. My wife rides a Honda Silverwing trike conversion, but with the RT I imagine we could ride "two-up," in relative comfort.

Does anyone have an opinion on the merits of the RT versus the RS? Are the RT's as "scarce" as my dealer says the are and thus commanding full retail? And finally, is the blasted "cooked foot and legs" I got yesterday after a three hour ride in 90 degree weather lessened any on the RS?

Thanks for listening!

fastfraser
05-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Love to have an RTS and trailer ! But at about $41,000.00 CDN. I don't think so. I've got about 32K tied up in my 2009 RS SE5 and the dealer will give me a whopping 17k trade for the RTS. Not bad a 50% loss in one year. I will eventually get a RTS when the bugs get worked out and the price comes down or more demo's become available.

murphybrown
05-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Four weeks ago a bought a leftover 2009 RS SE knowing I would have to add "some" items to make it more comfortable. Since than I have added the ISCI boards, comfort seat, extended brake pedal, C.H.A.D. windscreen, Kewl Metal risers, ISCI pegs, tank bag, and hand-brake. Now that I have added over $3500.00 to the RS I realize that regardless of what I do, I will not be able to make it into the "touring machine" I want.

It looks like I will have to take a huge loss and trade the RS for an RT SE, which I understand also means adding the AC package in order to get the SE I want. I love the spyder, and am reasonably comfortable, but it looks like the spyder will become almost my regular mode of transportation since I ride year round.

All that being said, I would like some opinions regarding the differences between the RS and the RT. Is it worth the price difference? How is the comfort factor? In other words will I still have to put a lot of money into it to make it comfortable (upright seating and so on). I plan to remove the hand-brake and highway pegs at least, and possibly the boards as well, since I am sure they will give me virtually nothing for anything I added on.

The dealer I bought the RS from offered to give me 12K for the RS-a 4K loss right there, and said "they will not discount the RT since they are getting so few and can get full retail for every unit. Obviously I will shop around and there are a number of dealers within a couple of hours of me in PA (I am an hour from Allentown, and 45 minutes or so from Phila.).

Even with the huge loss, I feel the extras, like the added wind protection for the winter and so on might make it a much more enjoyable machine for me in the long run. My wife rides a Honda Silverwing trike conversion, but with the RT I imagine we could ride "two-up," in relative comfort.

Does anyone have an opinion on the merits of the RT versus the RS? Are the RT's as "scarce" as my dealer says the are and thus commanding full retail? And finally, is the blasted "cooked foot and legs" I got yesterday after a three hour ride in 90 degree weather lessened any on the RS?

Thanks for listening!

I can share my experience finding my RTSE5...scarce as hen's teeth. A dealer in Spokane was wonderful to talk with...he finally said after 2 weeks I cannot find what you want. Our orders have been cut by 56% and Can-Am is cutting back production. So I expanded my search. Realllly expanded...Finally found a dealer in CA and 1 in IL that had "my" Spyder. CA would deal a little. IL a lot (in comparison to other's position of in demand..how much over MSRP are you willing to pay!!!). So after many back and forths the CA dealer dropped out and IL got the sale. Now IL is a long way from WA :yikes: but what better way to get my new :ani29: home than to ride it!!! The freedom of retirement...what else is there to say. Good luck on finding your :ani29: at what you are willing to spend.

MouthPiece
05-02-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm not one to get into haggling over price. I'm an impulsive buyer. I saw the spyder (RS) about six months to my buying the RTS. I knew then that I had to have a spyder.

When I went to the dealer, the RTS was coming in the next day. (demo). I came back, rode it, and signed a contract that day. Because of my impulsiveness and when all was said and done, I walked away with my spyder at around $29,000.00. (tax, tag, title, extended warranty, accessories {XM and GPS 660}, insurance, and "out the door").

I absolutely have no regrets and my wife and I are enjoying every penny of it. I can't comment on comparing the RTS to the RS in that I have never ridden the latter. All I can say is that I'm lovin what I have.

Chris

bodymanpainter
05-02-2010, 08:18 AM
I own both the RS and the RTS and can tell you that there is day and night difference between the two as far as comfort. You should not have to add very much to the RTS to make it any more comfortable. How ever
there is a difference in the power. The RS is faster than the RTS but the comfort of the RTS more than makes up for it in my opinion.:spyder:

Lamonster
05-02-2010, 08:58 AM
If you're looking for a touring Spyder the RT is a bargain. No matter how much you put into your RS it will never be a RT.

I posted a recent comparison here.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18992

jnt
05-02-2010, 09:10 AM
We love our RS, but we have also spent $$ getting it to its current condiiton. Rode the RT. Love it, too. But (for us) we BUILT our RS. For us (ok, her). So it is special. Would be fun to have both, but have no wish to lose the RS. Ride both - keep what makes your smile bigger!!

VaughnCat
05-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I own both the RS and the RTS and can tell you that there is day and night difference between the two as far as comfort. You should not have to add very much to the RTS to make it any more comfortable. How ever there is a difference in the power. The RS is faster than the RTS but the comfort of the RTS more than makes up for it in my opinion.:spyder:

:agree:
Not so sure about the RS being faster than the RTS, (quicker off the line maybe, but not sure it's any faster in the long haul) but for certain, they are as different as night and day . . . . and having one of each in the garage makes for the perfect ryding experience ! :ohyea:

SpydeeBite2
05-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Take an RT-S for a demo ride. Not just a few minutes or a couple miles. Spend a hour on it then compare. Remember only you can decide what your comfort level is both physicaly and financially.:D

ARtraveler
05-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Pretty much the same experience. Have both models in our stable. I started with the 2008 Spyder and then the wife got a 2009. We made them into touring machines, upgraded seats, mirror extensions, handlebar risers, bags, top trunk, special fairings. They both looked real nice and we put 30K miles combined on the two machines. In my opinion, the RT-S is more touring based, rides more cushy, and has most of the whizbangs that a person wants on a tourer. After 2K miles, I am changing the seat to a Corbin with a backrest--but that is all I feel I want to do at this time. It is an opinion thing--but it sounds like you are a good candidate for the RT. I took a hit on the trade in--but ended up with $13.5K with my fully decked out 2008 with 20K miles on it. You don't get much for accessories--no matter how nice--so the caution is to spend sparingly on the accesories. I don't have buyers remorse, and have a new RT for $14K and change. For me the difference between the two models is large. When I ride the 2009 RS, I feel like I'm on a sport bike instread of a tourer. Lower position, stiffer ride, snappier operation etc. The advice to take a long test ride is very good. You will then be able to determine if the RT is for you.

SpyderWolf
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hear you have gotten to this point, as I know you have put a lot of time, effort, and money, into your RS already. Best of luck with your next step in this process.

bikeguy
05-03-2010, 12:03 AM
When I rode a 2009 GS/RS almost a year ago, I wanted one but I knew I would have to modify the riding position before I could ride it very far. Then BRP came out with the RT and, after a test ride, I ordered one.

I've had my RT for three weeks and have a little over 1900 miles on it. The wife and I rode about 350 miles today looking at the Texas wildflowers. Nowhere near an Iron Butt day but not bad for a couple of old folks. It is undoubtedly the best two up touring machine I've ever been on. The riding position might be a little tight for a bigger person but it's perfect for me. My wife says the same about the pillion position. I have the front shocks set to the stiffest pre-load position and the ride is still smooth and easy. We bucked a pretty strong crosswind today and had no problems whatsoever.

The seat is the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I bought the base RT model because I have no use for the audio systems that come with the more expensive models. I added the heated passenger grips option and that's all. Like you, I wonder why BRP doesn't offer the SE5 option on the RT. I probably would not have bought it but I think it's a very nice feature.

Cotton

docdoru
05-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Not so sure about the RS being faster than the RTS, (quicker off the line maybe, but not sure it's any faster in the long haul)...
:dontknow::popcorn: :D

ISCI Billy
05-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks for listening!

Got a Blue RT for sale here at ISCI. Interested in a trip to BAMA?
It is the one on our web site.

2manycars
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I signed the paperwork, hopped aboard my new RTS SE. Five miles later I was in a parking lot calling the dealer to tell him the low voltage warning came on, followed by the limp home mode , followed by an ABS error.

They arrived with my RS and I rode home. I spoke to the sales manager and told him to unwind the deal, and give me the RT AC SE that was still in the crate instead. He did not disagree, and I am calling him in the morning to finalize what I am going to do. I was suspicious when they told me they had to change the battery before I even rode off. Obviously there is a something draining the battery, and now I am concerned that this could be a "lemon"

I will see what happens in the morning. On a different note, I loved my first and only 5 miles on the RTS

SpyderWolf
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I signed the paperwork, hopped aboard my new RTS SE. Five miles later I was in a parking lot calling the dealer to tell him the low voltage warning came on, followed by the limp home mode , followed by an ABS error.

They arrived with my RS and I rode home. I spoke to the sales manager and told him to unwind the deal, and give me the RT AC SE that was still in the crate instead. He did not disagree, and I am calling him in the morning to finalize what I am going to do. I was suspicious when they told me they had to change the battery before I even rode off. Obviously there is a something draining the battery, and now I am concerned that this could be a "lemon"

I will see what happens in the morning. On a different note, I loved my first and only 5 miles on the RTS

Best of luck with the new one when they get it set up for you.

Doc, it sounds like you might be the perfect candidate to test the speed difference between the 2 models once you get your RT. :D

docdoru
05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Doc, it sounds like you might be the perfect candidate to test the speed difference between the 2 models once you get your RT. :D
Prozac self-medicated...:opps::roflblack:

SpyderWolf
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Prozac self-medicated...:opps::roflblack:

:roflblack: That will be the day! :roflblack: