PDA

View Full Version : Whine in Starcom 1 system

ThreeWheels
05-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I installed a Starcom 1 system on my RT. I installed a Blue Sea fuse box just as ataDude did in this thread. Thank you ataDude.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5753:

All last week on a 2500 mile trip I had a whine in the headset that matched the engine RPM. It was barey tolerable. If it weren't for my earplugs I would have gone nuts.

I had run the power wires on the left side of the Spyder in order to easily hit the fuse box. It turns out the wires passed just a few inches from the ignition coils

Today, I rewired everything down the left side of the bike. I ran plain wire from the battery to the fuse box in the frunk. From the fuse box. I ran twisted shielded pairs to power the Starcom, the GPS and my Amplirider. I ran the wires as high as possible to keep them away from the ignition coils and the magneto.

I really thought I solved the problem. In the garage with the engine running (garage door open, thank you) I thought the music sounded very clean. I went for a ride and found that the whine is greatly diminished, but it's still there.

Incidentally, when I run my cell phone off it's internal battery and connect it to the Starcom, it comes in clearly. When I hook up a car charger to the 12V plug in the rear there is so much interference that I can hardly have a conversation.

This indicates to me that the power system in the RT is really dirty. I can live with what I have, once I start moving the wind noise drowns out the whine, but I'm an engineer and kind of anal retentive, so I want it to be perfect.

Does anyone know of a conditioned power source on the RT that I can power the intercom with ? There must be something that BRP is using to feed their own intercom system. Alternately, is there a way to condition the power that I'm using. The power filters that you buy at Pep Boys don't seem to be very useful.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. This whine is a little frustrating and I want to get rid of it. On the other hand, I'm tired of stripping the plastic off the damn bike. I'd rather ride it than work on it.

manoman14
05-02-2010, 06:05 AM
I had similar interference with my Autocom set-up. I ended up running shielded wire to power the intercom, and this solved my problem completely. Could it be that the wires from the battery to your fuse block need to be shielded? Could the interference come from these wires and feed into the intercom system? Just a thought.:dontknow:

ataDude
05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I installed a Starcom 1 system on my RT. I installed a Blue Sea fuse box just as ataDude did in this thread. Thank you ataDude.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5753:

Glad it helped. :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Well, I finally got rid of the last of the whine. It was coming from my AmpliRrider. Strangely, if I depower the unit, it still works as a volume control without any amplification. I bought the AmpliRider because my previous intercom, the MIT-100 didn't have enough amplification to run my Magellan GPS. Since then, I've replaced the Magellan with a Zumo 550 and when I got the Spyder, I replaced the MIT-100 with the Starcom. Since the Starcom has plenty of volume on its own I don't need the ampifier, however I'll keep the unit inline as a volume control. I'll reroute the GPS into the AUX input of the Starcom and everybody will play well together. I still wish I could figure a way to feed the RT-S stereo into the intercom system and then I could get the whole audio set up, including AM/FM and NOAA radio into the headsets. As it is, I can only get the IPOD through the headset but that's enough.

NancysToy
05-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, I finally got rid of the last of the whine. It was coming from my AmpliRrider. Strangely, if I depower the unit, it still works as a volume control without any amplification. I bought the AmpliRider because my previous intercom, the MIT-100 didn't have enough amplification to run my Magellan GPS. Since then, I've replaced the Magellan with a Zumo 550 and when I got the Spyder, I replaced the MIT-100 with the Starcom. Since the Starcom has plenty of volume on its own I don't need the ampifier, however I'll keep the unit inline as a volume control. I'll reroute the GPS into the AUX input of the Starcom and everybody will play well together. I still wish I could figure a way to feed the RT-S stereo into the intercom system and then I could get the whole audio set up, including AM/FM and NOAA radio into the headsets. As it is, I can only get the IPOD through the headset but that's enough.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

2NFrnt
05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I still wish I could figure a way to feed the RT-S stereo into the intercom system and then I could get the whole audio set up, including AM/FM and NOAA radio into the headsets. As it is, I can only get the IPOD through the headset but that's enough.

ThreeWheels, I am considering the install of the Starcom 1 Digital into my RT. Was wondering if you considered using the Starcom Music System Interface Cable "MUS-03" and switch "SWT-01" to achieve the desired results of routing the bikes audio thru the Starcom box? On the surface this seems to be the answer, but I have no previous experience with the Starcom units nor have I seen anyone post anything like this on the forum.

Your thoughts?

Sam

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 09:23 PM
ThreeWheels, I am considering the install of the Starcom 1 Digital into my RT. Was wondering if you considered using the Starcom Music System Interface Cable "MUS-03" and switch "SWT-01" to achieve the desired results of routing the bikes audio thru the Starcom box? On the surface this seems to be the answer, but I have no previous experience with the Starcom units nor have I seen anyone post anything like this on the forum.

Your thoughts?

Sam
Since the standard RT audio system, without their comm system, has no output jack, I don't see how this can possibly work unless you somehow cut into the speaker wiring.

2NFrnt
05-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Since the standard RT audio system, without their comm system, has no output jack, I don't see how this can possibly work unless you somehow cut into the speaker wiring.

I agree Scotty, but that is the purpose of the MUS-03 cable. Didn't know if you or anyone else had attempted this.

Sam

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 09:49 PM
I agree Scotty, but that is the purpose of the MUS-03 cable. Didn't know if you or anyone else had attempted this.

Sam
I took a closer look at the MUS-03 cable. Seems you should be able to pull it off that way. You would not be able to mute the speakers, of course.

I have no real need to connect to the audio system, I only listen to the iPod, which I can do directly through the Starcom1. If you also hook the iPod into the Spyder, you can control the iPod selection through the handlebar control, but not the volume.

ThreeWheels
05-21-2010, 04:49 AM

Your thoughts?

Sam

Sounds like you might have a good solution. Have you talked with anyone from Starcom ? I might give a call to Spoiled Biker today and talk to them about this.

2NFrnt
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Sounds like you might have a good solution. Have you talked with anyone from Starcom ? I might give a call to Spoiled Biker today and talk to them about this.

Hi ThreeWheels, I have not called or talked to anyone else about this idea. Was online shopping and looking at the options available when I came up with this thought. My post to you last night was the first contact I made with anyone. This is not something I am going to jump into right now, possibly wait for winter when have time to work on the RT and not wanting to riding it as much.

How about you, make any calls?

Sam

ThreeWheels
05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi ThreeWheels, I have not called or talked to anyone else about this idea. Was online shopping and looking at the options available when I came up with this thought. My post to you last night was the first contact I made with anyone. This is not something I am going to jump into right now, possibly wait for winter when have time to work on the RT and not wanting to riding it as much.

Sam

I called Spoiled Biker. They said it would probably work.

My concern is taking the 40 watt (or whatever) loudsoeaker signal, and running it into the Starcom and not blow out the audio input. I know that the cables allow you to do the hook up, I just want to make sure that I'm not plugging a (get ready for the analogy) a 120 volt device into a 220 volt source

ThreeWheels
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Nevermind. The whine is back. BIG time. I may just take my lumps and get the BRP system. I'm really frustrated.
I've tried re-grounding everything. Twisted shielded pairs. I'm at a loss. I may try a power filter , but I don't have much hope.

ThreeWheels
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
OK, here's the latest. A lot has happened that I haven't written about.

The entire left channel blew out, as well as the connection to the passenger headset.

The good folks at Spoiled Biker replaced the base unit. They are an excellent vendor.

So, I had the main unit buried inside the body work. Since I had to replace it, I took the opportunity of relocating the intercom and my amplirider to the rear trunk. They are held in place with double stick tape to the wall above teh shelf. All cables run down either the right side or the left side and are securely wrapped and bundled. I'll make a cover to protect the units so I can still use most of the trunk for storage.
After moving everything, I got a horrible whine again. Drives me crazy.
I disconnected all the inputs and the Starcom has a slight hiss, but it's fairly small. I started connecting all the inputs one by one until I found the source of the whine. Unfortunately it was two sources, that's why I had so much difficulty isolating it.
Net, net, I have two whines, one is caused by my Garmin Zumo 550 and the other is caused by the Amplirider.
So, I installed a filtering cable on the GPS.......the major whine goes away. Now i need to order one for the Amplirider and I hope to be home free.
If only I could solve the whine coming from my Ex-Wife this easily, I'd be a real happy guy.

ThreeWheels
05-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Sam

Got a response from Starcom directly about the speaker to starcom interface cables.

Hi
Thank you for your mail,

It should be no problem if you restrain yourself from turning up the volume on the radio too high

Regards
Tony Starling

I don't know about you, but I'm not inspired by this. My biggest fear would be that you have the speakers blasting because you were listening to them directly, and tthen switch over to the Starcom without first lowering the volume. This seems like a very likely scenario.

I think I'll pass since I mostly listen to my IPOD, and when, in the fullness of time I need to listen to the radio occasionally, I'll just run the speakers.

ThreeWheels
05-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Here is a picture of the whole mess installed, but not covered. I don't have cover manufactured yet, but since the Starcom is accessible, it's pretty easy to make any adjustments. The cover will be an easy on/easy off held on with velcro.

On the left is my cell phone, middle is the CB radio, and right is my IPOD Touch. Not having a PE RT, I had to supply my own IPOD. These three items will remain where they are outside of the cover.

Everything in there is black, so the picture is pretty crappy.

Here is, I believe the lat edit to this post.

I installed an isolation cable from my IPOD to my Amplirider. It takes care of 75% of the whine. By that I mean that I need to have the Amplirider volume up to 75% before the alternator whine is noticeable. Since I only run the volume up to 50% max, I'll consider this a successful installation Here is my final configuration.

GPS---------Iso Cable--------------------------------------S
. T
CB Radio(battery operated)---------------------------------A
. R
Cell Phone-------------------------------------------------C
. O
IPOD--------Iso Cable-----------AmpliRider-----------------M
. | 1
. |
Blue Sea Fuse Box Switched 12V-----------------------------

I can't get this to view properly, but you get the picture

2NFrnt
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Three Wheels, thanks for all the info and the pics. Your setup looks like what I had in mind, but after reading about all your troubles with the Starcom unit I have to admit I'm getting shaky on it. I know a lot of people are very high on it, but....:dontknow: Now that you have the bugs worked out do you still like the system? And thanks for making that call and sharing the info because I had not considered that the speakers could blow the system.

Sam

ThreeWheels
05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Now that I have the bugs worked out I am very much in favor of the Starcom and I heartily endorse Spoiled Biker as well.

ThreeWheels
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
WOW, have I got egg on my face.
Since this last post, I've gone through a couple more headsets and the main unit has gone bad again.

Add to that, the fact that I can't get the CB to transmit and I'm forced to flip-flop faster than a Democrat.

Although I still heartily endorse Spoiled Biker, they are excellent in customer support, I've had it with all the failures in the Starcom.

I'm junking the system and getting the BRP one installed.

NancysToy
08-07-2010, 03:49 PM
WOW, have I got egg on my face.
Since this last post, I've gone through a couple more headsets and the main unit has gone bad again.

Add to that, the fact that I can't get the CB to transmit and I'm forced to flip-flop faster than a Democrat.

Although I still heartily endorse Spoiled Biker, they are excellent in customer support, I've had it with all the failures in the Starcom.

I'm junking the system and getting the BRP one installed.
Still odd! I have had my oldest Starcom1 (stolen off my BMW) on my RTS for a couple of months and several thousand miles, with no problems. It has to be the inputs. Something is overpowering the Starcom1 and blowing the components. Remember, it is designed to take small, simple inputs, like an iPod or cell phone. Mine has worked fine with the iPod and my GPS.

dancogan
08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Just installed the Starcom1 Advanced on my RT. It sits under the seat on the right side, across from the Centech 2 fuse box that it draws power from. It seems to run fine and I get my Zumo 660 input without any noise. The power run is quite short and the headset cables just come out from under the seat. Maybe the short runs keep out the interference?

ThreeWheels
08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Just installed the Starcom1 Advanced on my RT. It sits under the seat on the right side, across from the Centech 2 fuse box that it draws power from. It seems to run fine and I get my Zumo 660 input without any noise. The power run is quite short and the headset cables just come out from under the seat. Maybe the short runs keep out the interference?

You may be right, but I've gone through too many failures as well. They've all been replaced with new equipment. At this point, I suspect the unit is OK, but my installation was obviously bad, so it's off to e-bay for the intercom.

Incidentally Spoiled Biker is now under new management. I'm not wholly certain that's a good thing.

NancysToy
08-21-2010, 09:20 PM
You may be right, but I've gone through too many failures as well. They've all been replaced with new equipment. At this point, I suspect the unit is OK, but my installation was obviously bad, so it's off to e-bay for the intercom.

Incidentally Spoiled Biker is now under new management. I'm not wholly certain that's a good thing.
Sorry to hear that about Spoiled Biker. The previous folks really impressed me. Let us know when the Starcom1 goes to EvilBay, I still need a third unit.