PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Generation Brake pads??

CRUCIFIED
04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
My spyder is in the shop again after a rear brake replacement. They were dragging excessively in forward and reverse. They were also pretty spongy and required pumping before a stop.

Today the tech told me he believes there is a 3rd generation of pads with different clips etc.that he is going to try to acquire from BRP under warranty.

Anyone heard of this "upgrade"?

sylblk
04-30-2010, 12:47 AM
sounds like air entered your system. you are likely to need the special procedure to bleed brakes. insist on it as i struggled with periodic spongy brake pedal and brake fault warning until dealer bled system. great since then.

NancysToy
04-30-2010, 06:11 AM
sounds like air entered your system. you are likely to need the special procedure to bleed brakes. insist on it as i struggled with periodic spongy brake pedal and brake fault warning until dealer bled system. great since then.
:agree: You probably won't get much relief for the dragging brake situation, though. The RS brakes are notorious for dragging (and squealing!). The RT seems to roll more freely, however, and they have listed some new brake parts for the rear of the RS, so there may be a possibility of relief. Just don't get your hopes up too high.

BajaRon
04-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I have never had trouble with my brakes dragging (RS). My Spyder always rolls very easily. They do get noisy at times but if I blow off the brake dust that takes care of it for awhile.

I have noticed I have to push harder on the peddle to get the same amount of stopping power. Not sure how to place the blame there.

I have gained some weight.... :dontknow:

docdoru
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
I have never had trouble with my brakes dragging (RS). My Spyder always rolls very easily. They do get noisy at times but if I blow off the brake dust that takes care of it for awhile. I have noticed I have to push harder on the peddle to get the same amount of stopping power. Not sure how to place the blame there. I have gained some weight.... :dontknow:
I know somebody with the initials "Lamonster" who can do brake bleeding on your Spyder. :D
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/a-little-bird-told-me.jpg?t=1272645250

jabba11
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
The front brakes on mine have squealed and clicked and made all sorts of sounds since day one but I have not had nay problem stopping or excessive wear on the pads or rotors or anything in over 5000 miles. I am just riding it. Its one of those things that if it is working I aint messing with it although, I have taken the wheels and calipers and such all off to see if there was a problem. Ill replace them when they need it or I sense something wrong. till then I just deal with the squeaks and such.

CRUCIFIED
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I just called...they are ordering and replacing the Master Cylinder. Is this a big job?

BajaRon
04-30-2010, 02:26 PM
The front brakes on mine have squealed and clicked and made all sorts of sounds since day one but I have not had nay problem stopping or excessive wear on the pads or rotors or anything in over 5000 miles. I am just riding it. Its one of those things that if it is working I aint messing with it although, I have taken the wheels and calipers and such all off to see if there was a problem. Ill replace them when they need it or I sense something wrong. till then I just deal with the squeaks and such.

The squeaks are just brake dust building up in and around the braking surfaces.

The clicking is the properly functioning ABS system. It's a problem when it quits clicking.

BajaRon
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I just called...they are ordering and replacing the Master Cylinder. Is this a big job?

Replacing the Master Cylinder alone should not be a big deal. The big deal comes in when you have to bleed the air out of the system created when you changed out the MC. The Spyder has one of the most labor intensive brake bleeding proceedures I've ever seen.

Trickie Dick
04-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know about the 3rd gen brake pads.:dontknow:

CRUCIFIED
04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know about the 3rd gen brake pads.:dontknow:

That was my original question as well.:dontknow:

M2Wild
05-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Never believe a tech. They all claim to be The Expert from near and far and got a straight line into BRP. LOL Contacted a new (closer) dealer yesterday and that's the first thing he told me. I was like, no offense, but I got my own source, just check the things I asked you to check.

CRUCIFIED
05-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Parts came in for the master cylinder on Wed. I was told Spyder would be finished on Thursday...then Friday...Got a call to day and "it looks like BRP sent us the wrong parts from Canada"..."probably another week or so and you should get it back.":spyder::gaah: