PDA

View Full Version : BAD KEY DISPLAY

stan
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I have an '08 Spyder always ran fine, no problems. Headed home from the shop, put the key in turned it on, usual displays and the display finally said "bad key" and would not start. Tried disconnecting battery, walking away from it with the key, tried again, display says "bad key". Anybody ever heard of this with an OEM key? My brother has the spare and he is in Japan on vacation. Need help - any thoughts?

NancysToy
04-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Could be a bad key or a bad security module. No way to easily tell without the spare key. Without a good spare key, the module will need to be replaced and the keys replaced/reprogrammed. If the module is bad, you would need to do that anyway.

SPYDERGUY1
04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
never heard about this before, should we be bringing our spare key now as well ?? how many others out ther have had this experience ??:gaah:

bone crusher
04-30-2010, 02:57 AM
To the dealer you go...

NancysToy
04-30-2010, 06:02 AM
never heard about this before, should we be bringing our spare key now as well ?? how many others out ther have had this experience ??:gaah:
I have only heard of a scant few incidents. Some were involved with merely losing the keys. If you are going very far from home, I would highhly recommend taking a spare key. (I would also recommend rigging up an emergency trunk release (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6760&highlight=locked+trunk) if you ride an RS...don't ask how I know.)

fastfraser
04-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Oh man that sucks ! Put my key through the wash the other day and get the same message.

krb1945
04-30-2010, 06:47 AM
from home you should always carry a spare key:thumbup: for the vehicle you are driving at the time. Doing this has saved me from calling or walking a several of times. /Ken

groundeffect
04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Oh man that sucks ! Put my key through the wash the other day and get the same message.

ouch.:(

groundeffect
04-30-2010, 07:21 AM
I have an '08 Spyder always ran fine, no problems. Headed home from the shop, put the key in turned it on, usual displays and the display finally said "bad key" and would not start. Tried disconnecting battery, walking away from it with the key, tried again, display says "bad key". Anybody ever heard of this with an OEM key? My brother has the spare and he is in Japan on vacation. Need help - any thoughts?

Yes, you'll need to get it to the dealer (trailer it) and have new ones programmed, but would first have to have some in stock to do this. If they have any in stock, it should be a quick, but costly process.

Cheers and good luck and feel free to let us know the outcome.

Lamonster
04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
If you don't have a good key to start with I think you're hosed. They need a good key to program a new key.

groundeffect
04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
If you don't have a good key to start with I think you're hosed. They need a good key to program a new key.

Actually, that rings a bell with me also... wondering if, then, a new ignition is required? Either way, costly.
:dontknow:

Lamonster
04-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Here's what this guy had to do.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4784

irish2themax
04-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I had the same problem...try reseating your relays to see if that works

ARtraveler
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Maybe the dealer gave you the wrong key. Based on some of the stuff I've seen, I would not be surprised.