PDA

View Full Version : 600 Mile service. Necessary other than oil change???

sledhead
04-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Greetings all...
I have a question about the 600 mile service.
My bike has around 700 miles on it and I just changed the oil myself (per Lamonster instructions...very easy).
Anyway I am debating if I need to bring it in to a dealer for the 600 mile service?
My dealer here in town gave up their Spyder dealership and now the closest dealer is around 100 miles away and I DON'T have a relationship with them.
Bottom line is it worth bringing in????
BTW.. the prior dealer did all the updates up until January of this year.
I would appreciate your opinions!:helpsmilie:
Thanks

NancysToy
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Greetings all...
My bike has around 700 miles on it and I just changed the oil myself (per Lamonster instructions...very easy).
Anyway I am debating if I need to bring it in to a dealer for the 600 mile service?
My dealer here in town gave up their Spyder dealership and now the closest dealer is around 100 miles away and I DON'T have a relationship with them.
Thanks
625 Mile (1000 Km) Service:

1. Change oil and filter
2. Clean oil tank stariner
3. Replace hydraulic control module (transmission) filter (SE5)
4. Inspect coolant level
5. Read fault codes
6. Inspect spark plugs
7. Inspect/Adjust drive belt (wear, alignment & tension)
8. Lubricate suspension arms
9. Inspect/Adjust parking brake

These steps are listed in your manual. Reading past fault codes requires connection to BUDS. Active codes can be read on the display, using the procedure in the Owner's Guide. Technically, proper belt adjustment requires a sonic gauge, but most belts are way too tight now, rather than loose, since the new spec was issued. Lubrication of the suspension, and removing spark plugs is a pain, but can be done by a handy owner. Be sure and use heat sink compund when reinstalling the plugs. You can probably get by doing much of this yourself, but be sure to document it thoroughly, since BRP is quite adament that it be done by a dealer. When you get a chance, you should see a dealer to get the belt adjusted to the newest, much lower spec, although you can probably get close with a Krickit gauge or the old " quarter-twist" belt trick.

boborgera
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Greetings all...
Thanks

My opinion and my opinion ONLY, It's not necessary to bring it in.
I just change the oil and eye ball everything while I'm doing the oil change.
I have two years and 12 thousand miles on my Spyder. It only went in once for the recall. I Know some people will say you should let the dealer do the 600 mile change, Others will worry if you don't you might have a problem with the warranty, I don't know i took the gamble and i won.
It all boils down to if you feel confident to do all your own adjustments.
Remember this is my opinion. I'm sure you'll get different opinions.

Ride safe, and have fun.:thumbup:

Rayelljay
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
My dealer told me that the 600 mile service/lookover was critical to the rest of the warranty coverage.
He also told me there were bolts and fasteners that needed to be checked (engine and trans. bolts etc.).
Digressing....I was pulled over by one of our local Sheriff's deputies...obviously a newbe 'cos he told me that I was illegal on public roads. Book came out and finger started to wag 'till I got out my phone and called my dealer who straightened him out.
Deputy showed great interest and volunteered he was a 916 owner so I gave him one of BRP's new owner cards.

spyder3
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;203248]625 Mile (1000 Km) Service:

1. Change oil and filter
2. Clean oil tank stariner
3. Replace hydraulic control module (transmission) filter (SE5)
4. Inspect coolant level
5. Read fault codes
6. Inspect spark plugs
7. Inspect/Adjust drive belt (wear, alignment & tension)
8. Lubricate suspension arms
9. Inspect/Adjust parking brake

How many have SEEN #6 getting done? i watched and questioned the tech working on mine..."thats a big job". :dontknow:

34fun
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Maybe the cost is a lot more in R.T land but after the money I laid out what is $250 for piece of mind,I had mine done this week, they inspected whatever ? changed the oil,changed the oil filter,changed the automatic shifter/tranny filter, 2 copper washers,2 O rings updated the ECM, washed the bike and charged 2 hrs labor for a total of 248.15 plus tax.

ulflyer
08-20-2011, 06:14 AM
My svc mngr said, when I explained that I always do my own minor servicing, "if you're having no problems, theres no need to bring it in for the 600". I bought the filters and installed with Amsoil.
Did the second change at 3850 and now have 4500 on it. I did take it in for the 2011-7 & 8 bulletin updates, and will have them check the belt before leaving 10 Sep for a 3K or so 10 day trip.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable is the way to go.

ocfire82
08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I have over 14000 trouble free miles on my 08 :f_spider:, and it's not been to a dealer since I bought it:D