PDA

View Full Version : Northern Arizona Spyder Ride - August 29, 2010

SpyderGirl
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
THIS RIDE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH CHANGES - SEE POST #23 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237016&postcount=23) BELOW

The_Spyderwoman
04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
WOW! Wish I had the time off of work !! :thumbup:That s the MOST beautiful riding area! Great choice!! :2thumbs: I have some great pics of our ride in this exact area on my flickr site, that part of our trip we were riding from Mesa, AZ to the Grand Canyon!

I'd love to get out there, we have a daughter stationed at Pendleton right now...not far!

Mabe one day 'when we retire' we can get a spyder gang to travel the country side; that would definately be on the bucket list!!:D

SpyderGirl
04-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I plan on living out there one day.... I'd like to buy some big piece of property somewhere and build a house and have a place to ride my dirt bike and my Spyder. It's so gorgeous out there.

NautiBrit
04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
You certainly picked one of the nicest parts of our state to ryde. There will be so much to see along the way that the almost 5 hour timetable on Google will be more like 7 to 8 hours. I don't know what my schedule will be until closer to the date, but my wife and I would love to join you and any others.

SpyderGirl
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
You certainly picked one of the nicest parts of our state to ryde. There will be so much to see along the way that the almost 5 hour timetable on Google will be more like 7 to 8 hours. I don't know what my schedule will be until closer to the date, but my wife and I would love to join you and any others.

The first time I visited Arizona, which was right after we first got the Spyder, was late April 2008. We went to the Grand Canyon (of course) and visited friends in Phoenix. We visited Tonto, and took a ride along 89A through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. I absolutely LOVE this part of Arizona and my dream is to one day live there (just gotta get out of underneath my house in California).

I planned on the ride taking about 7 hours, leaving Flagstaff at 9 would put us at Mormon Lake around 4 or 5PM. I do realize that some might be able to make it because it's on a Sunday, however this is not avoidable to us since we won't be checking into our resort in Sedona until mid-day on the 28th and we are leaving the following Saturday.

I hope you and your wife can make the ride.

Campverdefela
04-30-2010, 06:24 PM
We'll probably join in along the route somewhere probably at the lookout at the top of the mountain on 89A-Oak Creek Canyon and ride awhile with you all.

SpyderGirl
04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I look forward to riding with you all. :D

SpyderGirl
05-03-2010, 11:52 PM
FYI, the event is up on the Spyder Ryder website and open to registration. It's not required or formal, but it would be nice to have an idea of who would be interested. :doorag:

paneinglass
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
My wife and I will be there, it makes it especially easy since we are right by your take off point all summer in Williams.:2thumbs: Keep us posted. Im sure we will have scouted the whole area many times by then.
Regards,
Dan

SpyderGirl
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
My wife and I will be there, it makes it especially easy since we are right by your take off point all summer in Williams.:2thumbs: Keep us posted. Im sure we will have scouted the whole area many times by then.
Regards,
Dan

Perfect. I look forward to riding with you. :)

mguin
05-08-2010, 03:09 PM
The ride sounds Great! I wish it was on Saturday though. I don't think I can get Monday off and I'd have about a 3.5 hour ride back to Chandler, AZ after dinner. I just started a new job and I don't have any vacation time. We'll see.

Bluezr0k'r :doorag:

SpyderGirl
05-08-2010, 03:43 PM
The ride sounds Great! I wish it was on Saturday though. I don't think I can get Monday off and I'd have about a 3.5 hour ride back to Chandler, AZ after dinner. I just started a new job and I don't have any vacation time. We'll see.

Bluezr0k'r :doorag:

I'm sorry... maybe you can do part of the ride with us and just take off and head back on 17 when we get to Camp Verde.

I would have like to have it on Saturday, but it just won't work for us... we won't be in town until Saturday afternoon and are leaving the following Saturday... stupid timeshare.

I hope you can join us for at least part of the ride. :doorag:

jrl.spyder
05-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Much of your planned route is on the same roads as my recent AZ loop. These are great roads with a collection of scenic mountain "twisties" (Jerome to Prescott Valley and back over the top from Camp Verde to Strawberry.

My recent late April ride had a blizzard near Strawberry/Pine. Unusual this late in the season, but these roads are above 7000 ft in some places.

Tucson's Mt Lemmon (9200ft) had a deeper snow base this year (over 170 inches) than many of the Rockies ski resorts

I will try to make the ride if I am back from my New England August trip to see my kids and grandchildren. It would be great to connect.

Sedona and Jerome are great spots. I enjoyed a couple of great breakfast/lunch spots.

a couple more pix of my ride are attached.

Snow covered Spyder and Jerome sights

SpyderGirl
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I remember the area in and around Sedona from when I was there on the Spyder two years ago near the end of April. There was still snow up at the Grand Canyon and in and around Flagstaff... of course it was almost 100 degrees in Phoenix. I was treating frostbite and sunburns at the same time. nojoke

Well if you'll be around during our trip out there, it would be nice to have you join us for the ride.

Thanks for sharing the pics. :doorag:

Happy Spydering!!

sandrunr1
05-09-2010, 09:39 PM
My wife, moabgirl has informed me that we should be able to make this trip. Its a pretty good step from Pahrump, NV but oh well what are vacations for. :2thumbs::clap:

SpyderGirl
05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
:clap: YAY!! :2thumbs:

This should be a good group. :D

KAK
05-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Count us in. We live in Flagstaff and ride this route in various forms on a regular basis. It will be better with a group of Spyders. We recently traded my wife's 08 SE5 for a RTS PE and are looking forward to a great summer of Arizona rides.

SpyderGirl
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I decided to shorten the ride a little because this ride is on a Sunday and some cannot attend because of that reason. I have eliminated the ride up to Jerome which shortened the ride by about 50 miles, or about 1 1/2 hours (check the link above for the revised route).

I really would have liked to have done that part of the ride, but I wanted as many people to come as possible. If the group ends up larger than 8 - 10 Spyders, we'll break up into smaller groups of 5 - 7.

On the morning of the ride I'll take a vote to see who would like to do the ride through Jerome and we can decide then. If everyones wants to do it, we will, if not, then we won't.

I look forward to riding with you all and seeing some new (and maybe familar) faces.

Happy Spydering!

jlmenefee
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I would love to join if my schedule doesn't change between now and then!

It would be my first ryde with other Spyders :2thumbs:

If time doesn't permit I will at least join somewhere on the southern end of the trip.

SpyderGirl
05-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I would love to join if my schedule doesn't change between now and then!

It would be my first ryde with other Spyders :2thumbs:

If time doesn't permit I will at least join somewhere on the southern end of the trip.

Awesome! We'll see you there. :2thumbs:

Questions
05-26-2010, 01:08 AM
your ride sounds great! when r u starting out and from where? my husband and I live in Merced Calif and have been talking about going to Az to Grand Canyon.. we could include ur ride too...:2thumbs: r u traveling hwy 99 if so, u go thru Merced, we could meet up and ride to Az together... let me know... thanks:doorag:

SpyderGirl
05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
your ride sounds great! when r u starting out and from where? my husband and I live in Merced Calif and have been talking about going to Az to Grand Canyon.. we could include ur ride too...:2thumbs: r u traveling hwy 99 if so, u go thru Merced, we could meet up and ride to Az together... let me know... thanks:doorag:

That would be awesome to have someone to ride down with!!! We are staying in Sedona. We will be leaving on Friday the 27th and taking 99 down and stopping over in Las Vegas for the night. Check in is at 3 or 4PM on the 28th and the ride is on the 29th.

If you are really interested in riding down with us, shoot me a PM and we can work out the details. It would be cool if we could meet up in person ahead of time as well. We live in Pittsburg which really isn't all that far... about 1 1/2 hours away.

Let me know. :2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I am working on the final route and have done some tweaking.

Map to route (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3350+Lake+Mary+Road,+Flagstaff,+AZ+86001-9212+%28Circle+K%29&daddr=Arizona+89A,+Sedona,+Arizona+to:Jerome,+AZ+t o:Buffalo+Wild+Wings,+Prescott+Valley,+AZ&geocode=FcubGAIdTiJY-SH6hdrPZiAzHimJBaFCgI8thzHdyP0Wj3Ef4g%3BFePzEwIdQ9 5V-Smfz-qRrnIthzHyXgK1g1GTjA%3BFe85EgIdlEdR-Smb5-ltkA8thzGLZlUrT_Jj9g%3BFRq-DwIdR9JN-SEagmV7OSoFmin_6nocBCQthzEGMdbYAytAEg&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0,1&sll=34.876658,-111.992455&sspn=1.025206,2.705383&ie=UTF8&z=9&dirflg=d)

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29, 2010
8:00AM - Meet at Circle K (3350 Lake Mary Road, Flagstaff, AZ)

8:30AM - Parking brakes off

9:30AM - Sedona

10:30AM - Jerome

12:00PM - Lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings (2985 Center Ct, Prescott Valley, AZ)

If you would like to meet somewhere along the route please let me know so that I can adjust. You can be part of the whole ride, part of the ride, or just meet up with the group at lunch.

The ride is posted up in the events section on the BRP SpyderRyders website.

Can't wait to see you all there!! :2thumbs:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v313/82/98/1043132690/n1043132690_30113997_8080.jpg
Photo from our first trip there with the Spyder (April 2008)

NautiBrit
08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
We won't be able to make it after all, we'll be riding through Glacier Park in Montana that weekend. Sorry.

Mind you, if they don't catch that escapee from Arizona real soon, that plan may change also. :pray:

Have a great ride and stay safe.

SpyderGirl
08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
We won't be able to make it after all, we'll be riding through Glacier Park in Montana that weekend. Sorry.

Mind you, if they don't catch that escapee from Arizona real soon, that plan may change also. :pray:

Have a great ride and stay safe.

Ah.... no problem. We'll be up near Glacier sometime next year on the Spyder. :doorag:

Hope all goes well. Have a great trip.

Campverdefela
08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I am working on the final route and have done some tweaking. It also appears that we may not be able to enjoy a stop in Jerome due to closure. :(

Map to route (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3350+Lake+Mary+Road,+Flagstaff,+AZ+86001-9212+%28Circle+K%29&daddr=Arizona+89A,+Sedona,+Arizona+to:Jerome,+AZ+t o:Buffalo+Wild+Wings,+Prescott+Valley,+AZ&geocode=FcubGAIdTiJY-SH6hdrPZiAzHimJBaFCgI8thzHdyP0Wj3Ef4g%3BFePzEwIdQ9 5V-Smfz-qRrnIthzHyXgK1g1GTjA%3BFe85EgIdlEdR-Smb5-ltkA8thzGLZlUrT_Jj9g%3BFRq-DwIdR9JN-SEagmV7OSoFmin_6nocBCQthzEGMdbYAytAEg&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0,1&sll=34.876658,-111.992455&sspn=1.025206,2.705383&ie=UTF8&z=9&dirflg=d)

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29, 2010

10:30AM - Near Jerome

11:30AM - Lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings (2985 Center Ct, Prescott Valley, AZ)

If you would like to meet somewhere along the route please let me know so that I can adjust. You can be part of the whole ride, part of the ride, or just meet up with the group at lunch.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v313/82/98/1043132690/n1043132690_30113997_8080.jpg

It also appears that we may not be able to enjoy a stop in Jerome due to closure. :( What closure? Buffalo Wild Wings sounds like fun....

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 11:50 AM
It also appears that we may not be able to enjoy a stop in Jerome due to closure. :( What closure? Buffalo Wild Wings sounds like fun....

READ HERE: http://azstateparks.com/parks/JERO/index.html

I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings but it sounded so YUMMY!! :D

Campverdefela
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
READ HERE: http://azstateparks.com/parks/JERO/index.html

I've never been to Buffalo Wild Wings but it sounded so YUMMY!! :D
The State Park in Jerome is closed but not the Spirit Room their...Woo Hoo!

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
The State Park in Jerome is closed but not the Spirit Room their...Woo Hoo!

Awesome... then we may have to push lunch back a 1/2 hour for those who want to explore around Jerome. There is no problem with that. :)

dryheat
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Will definitely try to make it. Probably ride up to Flag (from Tucson) Sat.
Maybe we can get Mad Matt from Kewlmetal to meet in Prescott? Maybe worth a pm in case he doesn't check the AZ link?

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Will definitely try to make it. Probably ride up to Flag (from Tucson) Sat.
Maybe we can get Mad Matt from Kewlmetal to meet in Prescott? Maybe worth a pm in case he doesn't check the AZ link?

Hope you can make it.

And that's a good idea. :)

Mad Matt
08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Spyder Girl,

Sounds Great! We will plan on joining you, not sure exactly where we will hook up yet, TBD. We eat at Buffalo Wild Wings all the time. Our Wednesday evening bike night is (was) in the parking lot there. That's a great choice.

This is a great ride. I have done it many times since I live in Prescott, we go to Williams for breakfast, then Flagstaff, then Sedonna, Jerome, Prescott Valley and back to Prescott.

In fact Lamont has done this ride with me last time he was in town.

Looking forward to this one!

Matt

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Spyder Girl,

Sounds Great! We will plan on joining you, not sure exactly where we will hook up yet, TBD. We eat at Buffalo Wild Wings all the time. Our Wednesday evening bike night is (was) in the parking lot there. That's a great choice.

This is a great ride. I have done it many times since I live in Prescott, we go to Williams for breakfast, then Flagstaff, then Sedonna, Jerome, Prescott Valley and back to Prescott.

In fact Lamont has done this ride with me last time he was in town.

Looking forward to this one!

Matt

FANTASTIC!! I am so glad you can make it. I have done the ride on the Spyder through Oak Creek Canyon but didn't make it down to Jerome or Prescott the last time we were out there. We were staying in Flagstaff and rode through on our way back from Phoenix.

Looking forward to the ride. Glad I am getting the :2thumbs: on choosing Buffalo Wild Wings as the place for lunch. I've never been there before so should be awesome.

Are we going to have a problem getting a somewhat large group into the place to eat?? Maybe we can get a head count on who is coming. :dontknow:

See you all in a few weeks!!!! :ohyea:

taggtr
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Dang it, I'll be in Vail, CO during this! My freakin' job always gets in the way!

Campverdefela
08-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Are we going to have a problem getting a somewhat large group into the place to eat?? Maybe we can get a head count on who is coming. :dontknow:

See you all in a few weeks!!!! :ohyea:Shouldn't be a problem at BWW, its pretty big inside.

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Dang it, I'll be in Vail, CO during this! My freakin' job always gets in the way!

Blow off work and come ride!!! :doorag:

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Shouldn't be a problem at BWW, its pretty big inside.

Sweet! :2thumbs:

taggtr
08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Blow off work and come ride!!! :doorag:

Wish I could ryde with you all! I'm a professional musician and have gigs I have to perform that weekend in CO. Too bad my Flagstaff gig wasn't around this time!!!!! Dang! I'm itching for some Spyder road tyme!!!!! Can't wait to get the trailer so I can take the Spyder on the road with me and haul all my music equipment!!!!!

SpyderGirl
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Wish I could ryde with you all! I'm a professional musician and have gigs I have to perform that weekend in CO. Too bad my Flagstaff gig wasn't around this time!!!!! Dang! I'm itching for some Spyder road tyme!!!!! Can't wait to get the trailer so I can take the Spyder on the road with me and haul all my music equipment!!!!!

Sorry we're going to miss you. Have a safe trip to CO.

dryheat
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I made a res. at the Motel 6 (near the start) for Sat night. 'bout the lowest rate, "newly remodeled", and area looks ok. If anyone is around Sat eve, give me a call if interested in dinner/pre-lube. I should roll into town late afternoon. (520)490-6946
Will probably take the "back route" up from Tucson through Globe, Payson, etc. in case anyone is riding up from southern AZ.
Jim

paneinglass
08-13-2010, 08:10 PM
We will join you in Flag, see you then:2thumbs:

I am working on the final route and have don

e some tweaking.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29, 2010

10:30AM - Jerome

12:00PM - Lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings (2985 Center Ct, Prescott Valley, AZ)

SpyderGirl
08-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Looks like it'll be a decent turn out. I can't wait. Make sure you all bring cameras. :2thumbs:

TJKBear
08-21-2010, 10:19 PM
My wife and I are gonna try to hook up with ya's on Sunday :2thumbs:
Depending on what route we take, we may catch up to ya in Jerome, otherwise we'll hook up for lunch with ya's at BWW in Prescott Valley.

SpyderGirl
08-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Sounds good. We'll see ya there! :2thumbs:

TJKBear
08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Are you planning on stopping in Jerome or just riding through?

I'm still not sure if we will make it (work sucks:mad:) but just looking for a meet up place in case we do.

SpyderGirl
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Are you planning on stopping in Jerome or just riding through?

I'm still not sure if we will make it (work sucks:mad:) but just looking for a meet up place in case we do.

Yes we plan to stop in Jerome. Check the above post for an estimate on the time we should be there. Hope you can make it!!!

TJKBear
08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Debbie and I and Tom had a great time with you guys today.
It was a pleasure meeting yas.
Made it home safe and sound.
Thanks!
Have a great trip and we'll see yas again some time.

dryheat
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Also made it back home to Tucson in one piece. Pretty good dust storm around Casa Grande but missed most of the rain. Man, does this thing suck gas at 80! On the back way up Sat, at 60-65, I got around 35mpg... on the freeway today more like 25! (Extra tank is almost a necessity on the X-way!)
A big thanks to Spydergirl for organizing; and to all those who came for making it a good day.

SpyderGirl
08-29-2010, 10:50 PM
It was FANTASTIC riding with you all today!! The weather was great, the ride and route was beautiful, and the company was the best. I am glad to hear you made it home safely. I can't wait to see the photos and the video(s) that Mad Matt took through the canyon.

We hit Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona on our way back down and tomorrow we are going to do some touristy stuff around Sedona including a sunset Jeep tour. Tuesday we'll probably go and park on the corner in Winslow, Wednesday hit Slide Rock and Devil's Bridge, then Thursday head up to see our property and go to the Grand Canyon. Friday we'll be heading down to the oven....er... I mean Phoenix to visit some friends.

I am going to miss this place when we leave, I want to live here so badly!!

Mad Matt
08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
It was great finally meeting some of my fellow Arizona SpyderLovers! Thanks Spyder Girl for putting this together. My wife and I had a great day riding and hanging out with everyone.

I will post a link here to the videos as soon as I get a chance to upload them.

Matt

Campverdefela
08-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Great job SpyderGirl and Mr. SpyderGirl, thanks for organizing such a fantastic run and what a wonderful group we had. Here are some pics, the first at Flagstaff, in route, and the last ones in Jerome.

Campverdefela
08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Here's a few more the first two I had Margie take as we were going over the mountain from Jerome to Prescott Valley. The others were at our luncheon at Buffalo Wild Wings in Prescott Valley.

Mad Matt
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Ride Video Link (http://spydersonly.com/can-am-spyder-northern-az-ride/)

Enjoy!

Mad Matt

paneinglass
09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks to Spydergirl for putting the ride together, and to Mad Matt for the video. I was waiting for our ride to see which modifcations I wanted to do, and how they went together. Learned alot and met some great people. If you guys come to Havasu we'll do free Segway tours and have some fun Touring the London Bridge area. Regards, Dan :2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
09-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks to Spydergirl for putting the ride together, and to Mad Matt for the video. I was waiting for our ride to see which modifcations I wanted to do, and how they went together. Learned alot and met some great people. If you guys come to Havasu we'll do free Segway tours and have some fun Touring the London Bridge area. Regards, Dan :2thumbs:

Sounds fantastic! Thanks. :2thumbs:

And thanks for taking / sharing the photos. :)