PDA

View Full Version : Drove the RT and the RS today

Lamonster
04-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I had to take a run to the scales to weigh the frontend of the RT and the RS today. It's been well over a month since I last drove my RS. I got to tell you it felt a little strange at first but didn't take long to feel right at home. Here's a few things I noticed right off the bat.

The RS throttle feels heavy to me now. It takes a lot more effort to turn than the fly by wire RT. If I had a choice of either I would definitely go with the FBW.

I felt like I was on a sportbike when I drove the RS. Even with the 4" risers I'm sitting forward a bit compared to the RT. It's not a bad posture but it is very different for sure. I do like having my feet more forward on the RT.

My seat on the RT and RS felt great but once again I like my RT seat better. They are both Corbin but the RT seat just feels great, better than any Corbin I've owned.

After the 9000 mile trip on the RT I can say that I am totally at easy with the handling now. Having the Elka front shocks made a huge difference but I think just having that much time in the saddle is what really helped. The RT has a lot more area for the wind to effect the handling and I think that's part of the floaty feeling you get on the RT.
The RS on the other hand felt like it was on rails. There was no wondering or wind effect on the RS. It takes very little effort to keep the RS pointed where you want it to go. I wish the RT handled the same as the RS but the extra weight and the fact that it doesn't cut the wind as well will always make the two Spyders handle different, not bad, just different.

I got to say power wise they feel really close. The RS is snappier but I can bang the gears pretty good now with the RT. Knowing when to shift and how to keep it in the powerband is what makes them feel so close.

The wind protection on the RT is great. You realize what a difference it is when you swap rides. I personally don't mind the wind and not having as much protection was not a bad thing for me. I felt more like I was on a motorcycle on the RS. They both have their place in that area. If it's cold I want the RT. If it's real hot I still want the RT because the heat is diverted around you so much better. For all other riding the RS just fits me well.

I had over 100 miles on my RS trip meter when I took off and still showed 3/4 of a tank. I know that's not accurate but it's a heck of a lot better than it would have been with the same mileage on the RT. That's the price you pay for a bigger vehicle with more wind protection.

So what Spyder do I like better? I guess that depends on the situation, I love them both now but at one time I liked the RS better. I guess that little 9000 mile trip made a big impression on me as far as why the RT is a great option.:doorag:

Big Arm
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Another great write-up Lamont. :2thumbs: But I think I'll be staying with the RS for a couple more yrs., although my ribs are getting sore from the little woman poking me about the RT.:helpsmilie:

Prense01
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I am still trying to understand what all the ruckus is about with the RT's handling. Perhaps my problem is that I do not have a RS to compare with. As far as I am concerned the RT handles fine, but I do not try to compare it to any two wheeler I have riden either. It is a fantastic machine that has met or exceeded all my expectations!

Chris :spyder:

bodymanpainter
04-28-2010, 11:17 PM
:agree:
Thanks for sharing this. I am still trying to understand what all the ruckus is about with the RT's handling. Perhaps my problem is that I do not have a RS to compare with. As far as I am concerned the RT handles fine, but I do not try to compare it to any two wheeler I have riden either. It is a fantastic machine that has met or exceeded all my expectations!

Chris :spyder:
:agree:

VaughnCat
04-28-2010, 11:24 PM
We couldn't agree with you more Lamont. We've put about 3500 miles on the RT-S since we brought it home 2 months ago. And yesterday, we brought home our new RS (roadster red :spyder2:) :yes::2excited::yes:
We couldn't wait to take them out for a spin this evening, trading off so we could each drive both. They definitely are two different Spyders, two different rydes, both great machines with identity of their own.

Oh, and both our 2 wheel motorcycles have for sale signs on them! :ohyea:
Cat & Vaughn

fastfraser
04-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Another great write-up Lamont. :2thumbs: But I think I'll be staying with the RS for a couple more yrs., although my ribs are getting sore from the little woman poking me about the RT.:helpsmilie:

:agree: Isn't that the truth brother ! If it was up to the misses we would have the RTS.

tatt2r
04-29-2010, 08:59 AM
i agree lamont both different but both great machines ....

ARtraveler
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Spot on with everything I have experienced with our three different Spyders. :D I turned a milestone yesterday, I now have 25K Spyder miles under my belt. Unfortunately BRP wont give me a pin for this one. I logged 20K miles on the Spyder RS which I traded off, have 3K on my wifes RS, and 2K miles on the new RTS. The miles have all been great though.

Dukester
04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I and my wife loved the RT when we took it out for a 2 hr. test ride. We put it through some good roads to know how it would handle and feel. My 2008 RS is doing great, so for now I'm thinking keep the RS for awhile and let BRP work on the RT and as time goes by they will refine it and it will be that much better. This site is awesome and so much great information good or bad, it's all people's opinions. Thank you Lamonster for all you do for us.

dltang
04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Great write up. When I test rode the RT my comparison was this. The difference between the RS and the RT is like the difference between a Cadillac and a Camero, both are great cars, but have completely different rides and fulfill different desires, likes and needs. I enjoy riding around in a Cadillac as much as the next guy/gal but if I had to choose, I would own the new Camero. :2thumbs: and right now I choose my RS. I have no desire for the RT at this time. Who knows in a few years. I never say never.

chris56
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
got an RT - never tested before - but why ..
ask my girl - with the gs/rs she really had problems on longer tours
now the first RT testride was absolut "positive"
but hopefully i`ll find a way how to drive the RT over the hills
everything tooo soft for me !!
any ideas ??
chris (austrian/italian - alps - driver...lot of work)

MouthPiece
04-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I'd like to simply echo what everyone else has said. My wife and I are absolutely thrilled with our RTS. I'm so so glad that I decided to visit our dealership five months ago and inquire.

Chris & Cindy