PDA

View Full Version : Recall 2010 Rt clutch issue

Running Bear
04-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Has any one w/ the new rts-se5 model had the recall fix yet????
The auto clutch on our new rts-se5 FAILS to disengage when coming to a stop & almost thew me off the back. (acts like a cars clutch when forgotten to take out of gear to stop) We had them "re-program" the computer to go through the gears...only to have it do it again before we made it home!!:gaah: A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE!:mad:
any suggestions???
Also any suggestions on the "wandering feeling" on the hwy??:dontknow:

ThreeWheels
04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
The auto clutch on our new rts-se5 FAILS to disengage when coming to a stop & almost thew me off the back. (acts like a cars clutch when forgotten to take out of gear to stop) We had them "re-program" the computer to go through the gears...only to have it do it again before we made it home!!:gaah: A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE!:mad:
any suggestions???

I can't speak for the SE transmission, I have a manual transmission.

As to the "wandering feeling" on the highway, check your tire pressure. The front tires should be in the range of 15 to 18 pounds. Some people seem to like 20 psi, but that makes the contact patch smaller and contributes to wandering. Have your dealer check the front end components for correct tightness. If all is mechanically well and you still feel like the bike is wandering with, say 17 pounds pressure in the front tires, you may have a misalignment of the front end.

Lamonster
04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure why all the SE's aren't doing this but mine did the same thing. You'll need 3 new needle bearing weights to replace the 3 bushing type weights. It's about a 2 hour job.

As far as handling goes, if you have the stock shocks I would crank the front's all the way up, that helps a bunch.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=8360
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=8359

SpyderRyder
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
any suggestions???

My RT has done the same thing you describe 3 times before my 600 mile checkup. I mentioned it when I brought it in and the dealer was not aware of any recall. I don't know if they did anything to remedy the problem, but it hasn't happened since. I now have about 1000 miles on the RT. :dontknow:

NancysToy
04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
In addition to the previous suggestions to limit the wandering, you may want to concentrate on relaxing your grip on the handlebars, thus avoiding overcontrol. The Spyder takes a very light touch, and reacts differently to minor input than a motorcycle does. It takes a while to get the feel for it. If the situation persists, you may have alignment or component problems. In that case, see your dealer, especially if your Spyder handles differently than the dealer's demo.

Ronsam
04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Change my clutch at 700 miles

150 mile later the problem was the clutch stay on at the stop . RPM 1350 , need to hold the brake on and some time kill the engine

Add 3 new needle bearing wheghts, Now is ok

:2thumbs:

Lamonster
04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Is this a RECALL from BRP or not??? If this bike ends up doing that when the Mrs. is on the back----She will not ride on it again----that is NOT good!!!

I will be going in for the 600 check soon. If there is a campaign can someone supply the campaign bulletin number? Thanks Mitch
This is not a recall and like I said I'm not sure why they are not all doing it. :dontknow:
Mine was done around 1000 miles. I drove another 7600 miles with no problems until I got to Cuba MO. That day I was heading over to Cowtown for an oil change and my SE was getting stuck in gear and then it would jump from first to second. It finally quit doing that and I made it over to Cowtown. They jacked the Spyder up, hooked up the BUDS and ran it through the gears and all was well again.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18219

The first issue I had was mechanical, the second was software. As far as I can tell I'm good now. If I was you I would voice your concerns to your dealer and go from there.

widowmaker2011
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
In addition to the previous suggestions to limit the wandering, you may want to concentrate on relaxing your grip on the handlebars, thus avoiding overcontrol. The Spyder takes a very light touch, and reacts differently to minor input than a motorcycle does. It takes a while to get the feel for it. If the situation persists, you may have alignment or component problems. In that case, see your dealer, especially if your Spyder handles differently than the dealer's demo.

Scotty , you may not be wanting to post how you are making out with all of your issues with your RT , but I know quite a few of us are hoping you got alot of your issues resolved. :pray:

Tenfour57
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Lamonster, is this the creep/stall issue? I just posted on the creep/stall thread about mine doing it today.... 5 times in about an hour and a half. I just bought my RTS 2 weeks ago and today was my first real "ride".

It can be really dangerous! Why isn't BRP recalling these clutches? I am a new motorcyclist, too, so this is not giving me confidence on these things!!

Thanks for your help.

murphybrown
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Is this a RECALL from BRP or not??? If this bike ends up doing that when the Mrs. is on the back----She will not ride on it again----that is NOT good!!!

I will be going in for the 600 check soon. If there is a campaign can someone supply the campaign bulletin number? Thanks Mitch

Not sure if this is what you are looking for: But I just bought a new 2010 RTSE-5 and the recall campaign # on it is 2010-0004. Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Lamonster
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Lamonster, is this the creep/stall issue? I just posted on the creep/stall thread about mine doing it today.... 5 times in about an hour and a half. I just bought my RTS 2 weeks ago and today was my first real "ride".

It can be really dangerous! Why isn't BRP recalling these clutches? I am a new motorcyclist, too, so this is not giving me confidence on these things!!

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you need to see your dealer and have it fixed.

Chezeburger
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
any suggestions???

I just picked up mind and it had the clutch issue and it locked the bike in 1st and couldnt start it had to have it towed. :gaah:
We picked up the bike today :yes: and our dealer stated that they spoke to BRP today and they are saying that they have found the poly bushings to be the issue and they have engineered bushings that they state to change them with. :clap:
My dealer went to order them and while the new bushings were in their system they were back ordered and listed as being processed. So they stated that most likely BRP got a shipment of them but they were not in the warehouse yet so they can ship them out.
My dealer is good and they have not given me any issues so I don't think they are lying to me like some other dealers do.

Cheze

taggtr
05-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Mine is in the shop having the clutch repaired, same thing. Hopefully the software will be okay, will definitely make them check anyway. Hopefully all will be well.

MangoMike
05-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Just passed the 600 mile point on my SE. I've had this same problem (clutch) for at least 300 miles. Spoke to my dealer, he has the parts on order (they are back-ordered), but he knew of the problem and they have a fix, but like Lamonster said, I don't know why they all aren't doing this? A friend bought the same bike a few days before mine, his is doing it also.

Haven't heard about a recall, but my dealer in Tampa is on top of this. He did tell me to try manually downshifting from 2nd to 1st. I have been doing this, and while it seems to have helped, it has not eliminated the problem.

A problem like this on any other bike would have me very worried; but I love the RT and feel very comfortable with my dealer -- I see lots of wonderful years and miles on this fantastic machine.

Mike

garganos
05-16-2010, 09:48 AM

It's not a recal, but it is a warranty repair. There is a service bulliten on it but it is a fix a fail. They are not quite sure why only some are doing it. It may have something to do with the tolerances on the bushing type roller being to tight.

taggtr
05-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Clutch work has been completed by dealer and the program update, but it's still stalling out. Dealer still has it, told them to keep it through the weekend. I work all weekend so I won't have time to ride anyway. Fingers crossed.

IWN2RYD
05-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Clutch work has been completed by dealer and the program update, but it's still stalling out. Dealer still has it, told them to keep it through the weekend. I work all weekend so I won't have time to ride anyway. Fingers crossed.

Wait... What? They installed the bearings and the computer update, but you still have a "Staying in gear driving bike" needs brakes to stop bike causing it to stall? :hun::dontknow:

taggtr
05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Yay! They figured out the problem and got my Spyder all done and ready to ride. Can't pick it up until tomorrow morning though! I guess it was service error with the puter program update, but they got it all cleared up! I'm beyond excited!!!!

IWN2RYD
05-28-2010, 11:26 PM
:congrats::thumbup::ohyea::2thumbs::doorag: :spyder2:

SC_DOC
05-29-2010, 04:59 AM
I have an RTS SE-5 with about 2200 miles, and have not had any problem with the gears so far. Should I leave well enough alone?

IWN2RYD
05-29-2010, 07:52 AM
I have an RTS SE-5 with about 2200 miles, and have not had any problem with the gears so far. Should I leave well enough alone?

I sure would. The way it was explained to me... Not every "Batch" of RT's had these bearings installed. The only way to know truly who got what (Because the parts or so small and meaningless at the time) is to look at each one.

But if the owner is not seeing this issue there is no need for concern what so ever.

So... Yes... Leave it well enough alone in my book :2thumbs:

namknight
05-29-2010, 03:07 PM
if any of you out there owns or has owned a BMW GS there has been problems with the drive shafts. Never been a recall. Obviously the co did not want to deal with it. Could it be the same with BRP?????

taggtr
05-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Mine was covered by BuRP, no questions asked. Runs so much smoother now, even better than when I first bought it. It feels great coming to a stop and she just keeps idling with no hint of wanting to stall!

dadof4
06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Add me to the list. I was hoping they may have corrected this on the later builds (mine is 3/20/2010) but I guess that is not the case. I emailed my dealer regarding the problem with a link to this post. The service manager called BRP and they are sending the rollers. He advised he will call me when they arrive to set up an appointment The service at this dealer, Filers Powersports, in Macedon NY is outstanding. I highly recommend them.

spydercarl
06-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, add me to the list as a new ryder with the clutch issue. Took mine in to the dealership along with the information I learned here and told them it stalled out for the 4th time in the last 250 miles on the way in. Called them this morning and they said BRP told them that there was not a fix available but they were trying to identify and source parts to solve the problem and it might be as long as 6 weeks :sour: . I fired an email to tech support so I hope they can straighten this out.

Besides that, I am loving my Spyder. Hate that my first post here is to whine, but thanks to everyone here for supplying the ammunition needed to fight back!

spydercarl
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, I have to give props when deserved. Spyder still not fixed, but it took less than 2 hours from the time I sent my email to receive a call from Carlo. He is going to contact the dealership and explain to them that it is in fact a recall, and they can order the parts. He thought that everything should be available for repair within 2 weeks so that is much better than the 6 weeks they told me. Can't say much for the dealership, but the response from Carlo and BRP was outstanding, so hopefully he can steer them straight!

2manycars
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I more or less badgered my dealer into calling BRP a few weeks ago and they were told there was going to be a recall but they would send the parts out as soon as they were off of back order. A week later my dealer got the parts, the dealer had received the recall notice and they repaired my RT. They picked it up in the AM and I got it from them that evening.

They told me they got very specific repair instructions and apparently the clutch repair is a relatively quick one to do-under 2 hours I think they said.

If today;s ride is any indication of future performance of the transmission, they did a good job. It comes to a stop without shuddering like it is about to stall, and did not come close to stalling in the 50 or so miles I rode it with many stop signs and lights. The shifting seems much more decisive rather than "should I go into 1st, or not, and should I stall."