PDA

View Full Version : "MISSING AIR DAM" UPDATE

SPYDERPOPS
04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
You can now go to WWW. (http://www.SPYDERPOPS.COM)SPYDERPOPS.COM (http://www.SPYDERPOPS.COM) to make your orders.

Harvey Clark
SPYDERPOPSTM

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00887.jpg?t=1271939548

CRUCIFIED
04-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I have no idea what you are referring to. Do you have a picture of what I am missing?:hun:

SPYDERPOPS
04-28-2010, 05:39 PM
The "Missing Air Dam" was started on this thread last week, go here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18794 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18794)

BLACK WIDOW
04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
I have no idea what you are referring to. Do you have a picture of what I am missing?:hun:

I just got one installed and I can tell the difference in the running temp of the spyder from about 35 mph up. You should run two to three bars cooler (when the outside temp gets hot) . I also noticed that when setting in traffic with five bars showing that it only takes a very short distance (once you get moving) for the bars to really fall off. This is obviously due to the increased air flow through the radiator. It looks like something that the factory forgot to put in. Great value for a option that works.nojoke

groundeffect
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
What is the procedure for installing this? Does anything new to be altered or removed or adjusted? How does it actually attach to the rad?
(image from Doc):

Thanks.

SpyderWolf
04-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Dean, it comes with a tube of adhesive for sticking it on. I will let you know how the entire procedure works as soon as mine gets here if you like. :thumbup:

groundeffect
04-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Dean, it comes with a tube of adhesive for sticking it on. I will let you know how the entire procedure works as soon as mine gets here if you like. :thumbup:

Michael, that would be great! ;).

I'm tempted to get one, but not really sure I'll need it here in Newfoundland in our temps (highest we get is 85F or so, but not for extended periods of time).

SpyderWolf
04-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Michael, that would be great! ;).

I'm tempted to get one, but not really sure I'll need it here in Newfoundland in our temps (highest we get is 85F or so, but not for extended periods of time).

You may not need it with temps like that. In the summer time it is not uncommon for our overnight low temp to be in the 80's. Add nearly 100% humidity to that on many days, and it becomes nearly intolerable to be outside.

groundeffect
04-29-2010, 06:19 AM
You may not need it with temps like that. In the summer time it is not uncommon for our overnight low temp to be in the 80's. Add nearly 100% humidity to that on many days, and it becomes nearly intolerable to be outside.

Yeah, that's hot and humid.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a general benefit of running the Spyder engine slightly cooler, even in out summer time temps (20-30C / 68F - 85F).

In general will my Spyder like me more if I can cool it a little more in these temps????:dontknow:

I do like the idea that when moving it will be slightly cooler, so that when I come upon a stop sign/red light, it will take a little more time then usual to raise those temp bars while waiting for the green.

aubierules
04-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah, that's hot and humid.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a general benefit of running the Spyder engine slightly cooler, even in out summer time temps (20-30C / 68F - 85F).

In general will my Spyder like me more if I can cool it a little more in these temps????:dontknow:

I do like the idea that when moving it will be slightly cooler, so that when I come upon a stop sign/red light, it will take a little more time then usual to raise those temp bars while waiting for the green.
Im no mechanic, but if the engine runs cooler it usually will last longer, at least thats how i understand it, but im sure i will be corrected if im wrong...

groundeffect
04-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Im no mechanic, but if the engine runs cooler it usually will last longer, at least thats how i understand it, but im sure i will be corrected if im wrong...

Appreciate the reply. Anyone else?

Thanks.

boborgera
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Appreciate the reply. Anyone else?

Thanks.

Dean,
Check out a thread by lamonster, 08/19/09 = new temp gage with bar readings.

groundeffect
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Dean,
Check out a thread by lamonster, 08/19/09 = new temp gage with bar readings.

Thanks. I found it:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13512&highlight=temp

cheers.

M2Wild
04-29-2010, 11:37 AM
The "Missing Air Dam" was started on this thread last week, go here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18794 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18794)
Is there an inside edge on the radiator that needs to be "plugged up"? If so, does this air dam cover the inside edge too? Also, what else that's coming out? I might want to get all the goodies all at once and save a bit with combined shipping.

SPYDERPOPS
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Is there an inside edge on the radiator that needs to be "plugged up"? If so, does this air dam cover the inside edge too? Also, what else that's coming out? I might want to get all the goodies all at once and save a bit with combined shipping.

We will be coming out with new items within a couple of weeks if our plans work out and if you can wait that long.

Harvey

SpyderWolf
05-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I received our Missing Air Dam kits and was able to install them today.

Here are the details:

The kit arrived via USPS Priority Mail, and was very nicely packaged:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9260

The back of the package allows you to see the pieces, and the tube of sealant:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9261

This is all of the items that are included in the package:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9262

This is the pre-assembled side piece:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9263

This is the top piece:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9264

You begin by removing the radiator cover panel, and cleaning the side of the radiator with Brake Free, or a similar product:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9265

You then apply weather stripping sealant to the 2 rounded humps:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9266

The press the side air dam piece into place and hold it for a minute until it sets up good:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9267

You then put sealant on the back edge of the upper strip, where it will sit against the radiator, and slide it into place along the lip of the tank seam:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9268

I added a little of the sealant to bond the 2 pieces of the air dam together as well. Let that sit for a few minutes to give it a chance to dry, and then put the radiator cover panel back on.

Here is what it looks like with the cover back on:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=777&pictureid=9269

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Harvery for making these available to the rest of us. It is actually a very well thought out design, and the execution of bringing it to market was top notch as well. The directions are clear and easy to follow, and that made installation a breeze.

The only question I have now is, how long before this black weather stripping sealant will wash off my fingers?

effgjamis
05-01-2010, 07:18 PM
The only question I have now is, how long before this black weather stripping sealant will wash off my fingers?

I am not sure but I don't think Harvey charged for that.

:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

rubber gloves not included...:roflblack: :roflblack:

Firefly
05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice install pics Spyderwolf!

Should have mine next week.

:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I am not sure but I don't think Harvey charged for that.

:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

rubber gloves not included...:roflblack: :roflblack:

Rubber gloves? Hmmm, perhaps those need to be added to the instruction sheet. However, it might be easier to just add "Do not get this really sticky stuff all over your fingers. There is no need to attempt to smooth it out for any reason at all." :yikes: :roflblack:

Nice install pics Spyderwolf!

Should have mine next week.

:thumbup:

Good deal. After seeing Doc's video of being at 3 bars with the temp gauge reading 82, I am excited to go for a ryde and test it out.

Questions
05-02-2010, 12:52 AM
We will be coming out with new items within a couple of weeks if our plans work out and if you can wait that long.

I hope one of those new items is a belt stone guard. :2thumbs:

aka1004
05-02-2010, 01:05 AM
spyderwolf, when did you order yours? mine was shipped on the 27th and if it was shipped usps priority, it should been here by now... i thought it was shipped first class or parcel since i did not get a confirmation number.

SpyderWolf
05-02-2010, 07:59 AM
spyderwolf, when did you order yours? mine was shipped on the 27th and if it was shipped usps priority, it should been here by now... i thought it was shipped first class or parcel since i did not get a confirmation number.

I ordered mine on April 26, and it showed up at the house on April 30. I did not have a confirmation number or anything either, it just arrived. Hopefully yours will be there tomorrow.

Rando
05-03-2010, 09:02 AM
My wife and I mainly stay off the expressways, therefore we normally ryde between 45 and 50 mph. We have not noticed any difference in engine temperature (bars) with this mod.

bone crusher
05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
My wife and I mainly stay off the expressways, therefore we normally ryde between 45 and 50 mph. We have not noticed any difference in engine temperature (bars) with this mod.

Just want to say that I just ordered mine...hope to get it soon to check it out...

In response to your post, I would think this mod. would be most apparent with lots of engine stress and high temperatures...I live in MD and we get those HHH days...I'd like to see a bar or two cooler, if possible. What was the outside temp when you were riding? Also, 45-50mph in what gear? You might not be straining the engine and if it's cool, that will help anyway...

Oh, I do get better mileage with cooler weather too...I'm curious if this will help a bit...I'll go along with those who say that a cooler engine works better and will last longer...then again, who knows?

Firefly
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Just want to say that I just ordered mine...hope to get it soon to check it out...

In response to your post, I would think this mod. would be most apparent with lots of engine stress and high temperatures...I live in MD and we get those HHH days...I'd like to see a bar or two cooler, if possible. What was the outside temp when you were riding? Also, 45-50mph in what gear? You might not be straining the engine and if it's cool, that will help anyway...

Oh, I do get better mileage with cooler weather too...I'm curious if this will help a bit...I'll go along with those who say that a cooler engine works better and will last longer...then again, who knows?

Hasn't been much more than 70 here in Michigan yet.... so the benefits of this may not be very well seen up here. I also think this will help the more 'aggressive' ryder. At 45-50 I might still be in 3rd, 2nd or even 1st on occasion..... :D.

jabba11
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Installed mine this morning took me 10 minutes tops and fit like a glove. Ill report back on riding with it when I get some miles on it. Once it was on like a lot of folks I thought "surely someone at BRP should have thought of this." It only makes sense to me.

Firefly
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Installed mine this morning took me 10 minutes tops and fit like a glove. Ill report back on riding with it when I get some miles on it. Once it was on like a lot of folks I thought "surely someone at BRP should have thought of this." It only makes sense to me.

BRP did think of it----just not soon enough for us. Look at the radiator of an RT and you'll see a plastic air-dam.....;)

Campverdefela
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I too cannot say I see a difference so far. I had a similar experience after install and first ride doing 50 at 70 degrees for an hour or so with 4 bars but will see.

bone crusher
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I too cannot say I see a difference so far. I had a similar experience after install and first ride doing 50 at 70 degrees for an hour or so with 4 bars but will see.

We need someone from the desert area to report back...how about in the 90s and running on the highway for a while...or, HHH (like Miami), and a lot of stop and go traffic?

I've seen 5-6 bars, but not too often, even in the summer...but I try to keep moving to keep the air flow going...

I will say that riding in the 50s gives me 3 bars and better mileage...

CRUCIFIED
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
We need someone from the desert area to report back...how about in the 90s and running on the highway for a while...or in a lot of stop and go traffic?

:agree:

SpyderWolf
05-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I am not in the desert, but it was 97F here yesterday with a heat index of 105F when we went for a ryde. The temp gauge hit 5 bars when stopped at a traffic light, and dropped back down to 4 as soon as we started rolling again. I kept the speed under 65 the entire ryde, and the temp gauge stayed at 4 bars. That is plenty of proof for me. :thumbup:

jabba11
05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Rode it to work today, 73 degrees which is what I have been riding in for a few weeks now even cooler on some days. the bike ran a full bar cooler I would say and i would say it seemed to maintian a more consistent temp. by that I mean it went to 3 bars and stayed there cept during a few periods where i have to slow below 40 and an extended period at 25 where it ran at 4 bars. normally my bike runs at 4 and occassionally moves to 5 even at 70 degrees. it didnt seem to fluctuate as wildly as it normally does or move to 5 to 3 and inbetween as often. Tommorrow its suppsed to be 85 here so that will be an interesting test.

aka1004
05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I ordered mine on April 26, and it showed up at the house on April 30. I did not have a confirmation number or anything either, it just arrived. Hopefully yours will be there tomorrow.

i am beginning to think there may be a problem.
i ordered the air dam kit on 27th and it was shipped on the same day but it's not here but i ordered a krikit from rockauto and was shipped on 29th via usps first class mail and it was delivered today.:dontknow:

bone crusher
05-03-2010, 11:44 PM
i am beginning to think there may be a problem.
i ordered the air dam kit on 27th and it was shipped on the same day but it's not here but i ordered a krikit from rockauto and was shipped on 29th via usps first class mail and it was delivered today.:dontknow:

If you paid with paypal, like I believe the rest of us did, you'll be fine...plus, always be certain to use your credit card. I don't think there is any problem as everyone seems to be happy, but credit card companies aggressively pursue those who commit credit card fraud...I wouldn't concern yourself at this time...try contacting Harvey again and give it a bit more time to arrive...I ordered mine today...I hope to have it before the end of the week so that either I can get it installed this weekend, or so that I can do it one day next week...

aka1004
05-03-2010, 11:47 PM
If you paid with paypal, like I believe the rest of us did, you'll be fine...plus, always be certain to use your credit card. I don't think there is any problem as everyone seems to be happy, but credit card companies aggressively pursue those who commit credit card fraud...I wouldn't concern yourself at this time...try contacting Harvey again and give it a bit more time to arrive...I ordered mine today...I hope to have it before the end of the week so that either I can get it installed this weekend, or so that I can do it one day next week...

i am not worried about repops, just about usps...

dltang
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
I ordered ours on Apr 30th I believe and we just got them in yesterday. Haven't put them on yet but we'll let you know. They came USPS no problem

jabba11
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
84 degrees here today..3 bars at 50,55, and 70. no significant change at low speeds as anticipated but this thing works. simple, inexpnesive, and it works.

aka1004
05-04-2010, 07:32 PM
my kit finally is here. when i opened the package, my brain had the same reaction when i received the evo's anti sway bar.:D
if it works that's all it matters. :thumbup:
it's above 90 degrees here in vegas. i will install it tomorrow and report back.

SpyderWolf
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
my kit finally is here. when i opened the package, my brain had the same reaction when i received the evo's anti sway bar.:D
if it works that's all it matters. :thumbup:
it's above 90 degrees here in vegas. i will install it tomorrow and report back.

Glad to hear you got it. :2thumbs:

bone crusher
05-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet but I'm grateful for all the merchants who are ambitious and are trying to make our Spyder experiences as good as possible.

Thank you Harvey and others...keep the stuff coming!

ronv
05-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Got my kit a couple of days ago. Really quick delivery. I was impressed by packaging and instructions.

Installed it this evening after work. Quick and easy...even looked like the pictures!

Am ryding to middle of Tucson tomorrow afternoon, it will be interesting to see what the temps do. I'll post whatever I see.

I've already plugged the right side air dam, and have noticed a big change in the temperature of my right foot. No more fully cooked boot!:2excited:

Thank Harvey for your idea and the kit.

Ron

CRUCIFIED
05-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Am ryding to middle of Tucson tomorrow afternoon, it will be interesting to see what the temps do. I'll post whatever I see.
Ron

please do.

CRUCIFIED
05-05-2010, 01:12 AM

:popcorn:

truck 85
05-05-2010, 01:22 AM
just got mine yesterday cant wait to install it this weekend

bone crusher
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
got mine today...thank you Harvey...

Nice packaging, fast delivery...haven't put it on yet but I'm excited to!

dltang
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Brian just put ours on this morning. It hasn't been warm enough to truly test if it makes a difference yet or not but I have no doubts that it will. Thank you Harvey. See you in Chicago next month. Can't wait to meet the Mrs.

RTGENE
05-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Harvey---got mine its in and now its time for a test run----would west on Rt.66 up the coast of California across to Yellowstone down to Pikes Peak then over to Cuba for an oil change.
Would that be considered a worthy test?
ps
I will be towing a beautiful black trailer (thanks BandD)---will that make a difference.

Sarge707
05-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Ordered mine Sunday-Mailed Tuesday- Arrived Today(Thursday) and I put it on~! Nice directions and fit!!!!
Will test tomorrow~! (Had to De Winterize 2 Jet skies today!:D)

freebob
05-06-2010, 05:15 PM
CHANGE IN SHIPPING RATE FOR CANADA AND OTHER COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE CONTINENTAL U.S.!

Thank You for your interest in the new “Missing Air Dam” for the Can-Am Sypder RS.

I apologize for not being prepared with a website to order these from. I installed 10 “Missing Air Dams” at the Spyderfest in Missouri and instantly they were a hit. I now have them ready to ship. $20.00 plus $5.50 shipping and handling in Continental U.S., Canada $12.00, all other countries email for quote.

If you will give me your email address I will send you an invoice through PayPal and as soon as I receive payment it will ship. The email will be from Harvey Clark, Harvey@repops.com (Harvey@repops.com).

Please make sure the address listed with your payment is the one you want it shipped to. I will be shipping by USPS, check your mail box!

Feel free to contact me by email with any questions using the subject of Missing Air Dam: Harvey@repops.com (Harvey@repops.com)

Thanks again for your interest,

Harvey Clark
SPYDERPOPSTM

SC.
I ordered mine today, Can't hurt All the help I can get here in Southeast
SC......Freebob

SpyderSteve
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
just got mine yesterday cant wait to install it this weekend same here :2thumbs:

jeuchler
05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
1. Thanks to Harvey for making this modification kit available.

2. Thanks to SpyderWolf for the photo essay of the installation on my (ok, ok--his) Spyder. It's just that it looked exacly like the way I installed it.
:joke:

3. It's 59 degrees Fahrenheit now here, but the temperature is dropping and there is a chance of snow.

So tonight I will test drive the "missing air dam" and see if it drops zero bars down to, like, maybe oweing me one bar...:roflblack:

(I'm sorry. You desert dwellers make me laugh. I guess you'll have the last laugh when the snow flies here. In May. Again. )

SpyderWolf
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
2. Thanks to SpyderWolf for the photo essay of the installation on my (ok, ok--his) Spyder. It's just that it looked exacly like the way I installed it.
:joke:

Ah yes, but did you happen to get the black adhesive all over your fingers? :roflblack:

The good news is it does wash off after quite a few attempts though. :thumbup:

ronv
05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Well, the lung doc re-scheduled my appointment, so didn't get to Tucson.

Did ryde around local area, stop n go in town and on post. Seamed to me that the temps were down about a bar from what I normally see.

Temps around the 90 mark.

Ron

chrisad50
05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Just a heads-up for RTS owners. This mod is meant for the RS model only.

The RTS does NOT need it. :lecturef_smilie:

The RTS Spyder already has a plastic shroud to control the air flow through the radiator. I goofed up, and bought the air dam from Harvey, not realizing it.

I know a guy in town that has an RS, so I guess he'll get a freebee. :gaah:

SpyderWolf
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Just a heads-up for RTS owners. This mod is meant for the RS model only.

The RTS does NOT need it. :lecturef_smilie:

The RTS Spyder already has a plastic shroud to control the air flow through the radiator. I goofed up, and bought the air dam from Harvey, not realizing it.

I know a guy in town that has an RS, so I guess he'll get a freebee. :gaah:

I think it was in the other thread on this that someone posted the RTs actually come with the plastic air dam from the factory now. I am sure the other guy will be happy to take the freebie though. At least it wasn't over $100 like most accessories for the Spyder. :yikes: :D

I just got back from the dealer 1.5 hours there and 1.5 hours back. We left in 70 degree weather and it reached the high 80s by time we got there. Spyder ran consistently at 3 bars on the temp gauge, and only went up to 4 when I was stuck behind a semi for a little while. On the way home the temp was about 95 and it ran a solid 4 bars the entire time.

So, it looks like you should expect to see 3 bars at 70 and 80 degrees and 4 bars in the 90s. It has not hit 100 here yet, although it is already getting very close, so I don't know if that will make it run at 5 bars or not yet.

ameobe
05-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Just a thanks REPOPS (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=1103):thumbup:

Easy ordering, timely delivery, & easy install.

But my brakes still squeak.:joke:

nudle
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
:agree:but my brakes don't squeak.

AZ Desert Spyder
06-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Ok, I guess it's time we see how well this will work in the REAL heat. I live in Phoenix and don't plan to wait until October to ryde my Spyder, so I just ordered the Dam thing! Oops!:shemademe_smilie: The temps here are already hitting triple digits, so I need whatever help I can get :chill:. I was going to order it a month or so ago, but I saw several comments from folks saying it didn't do anything for them, so I didn't bother. But most of you seem to feel it helps, so I'll give it a try. I just ordered it, so I should have it by the end of the week and I'll post an update when I have some results.
Rick

Firefly
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Campverdefela
06-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I think it was in the other thread on this that someone posted the RTs actually come with the plastic air dam from the factory now. I am sure the other guy will be happy to take the freebie though. At least it wasn't over $100 like most accessories for the Spyder. :yikes: :D

I just got back from the dealer 1.5 hours there and 1.5 hours back. We left in 70 degree weather and it reached the high 80s by time we got there. Spyder ran consistently at 3 bars on the temp gauge, and only went up to 4 when I was stuck behind a semi for a little while. On the way home the temp was about 95 and it ran a solid 4 bars the entire time.

So, it looks like you should expect to see 3 bars at 70 and 80 degrees and 4 bars in the 90s. It has not hit 100 here yet, although it is already getting very close, so I don't know if that will make it run at 5 bars or not yet.
I was one of the skeptics but have since revised my opinion, anyways here the other week it was 109 and I was doing 4 bars and sometimes 5-cruising at 60mph. I now believe the air dam makes a positive difference.

SPYDERPOPS
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Ok, I guess it's time we see how well this will work in the REAL heat. I live in Phoenix and don't plan to wait until October to ryde my Spyder, so I just ordered the Dam thing! Oops!:shemademe_smilie: The temps here are already hitting triple digits, so I need whatever help I can get :chill:. I was going to order it a month or so ago, but I saw several comments from folks saying it didn't do anything for them, so I didn't bother. But most of you seem to feel it helps, so I'll give it a try. I just ordered it, so I should have it by the end of the week and I'll post an update when I have some results.
Rick

Rick,
The ones having the most problems was from heat on their right leg. The strange part about this is when we came out with the "Missing Air Dam" people were just getting their Spyders out for the summer and putting miles on them.

Several have come back on here after realizing their "Y" gasket was burn out. If the "Y" gasket is bad and the hot exhaust is on the engine casing then the engine coolant temp will raise and the leg will fry.

I was running all afternoon yesterday at 3 bars with 97 degrees outside. I get an extra bar lower due to using distilled water and Redline Water Wetter with the "Missing Air Dam".

Sorry to hear that you were hesitant due to a couple bad reviews. I certainly hope they got their "Y" gaskets replaced. If they peeled off the "Missing Air Dam" before getting the full benefit, I'm sure we have plenty to ship them.

Thanks,
Harvey

SpyderWolf
06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I was one of the skeptics but have since revised my opinion, anyways here the other week it was 109 and I was doing 4 bars and sometimes 5-cruising at 60mph. I now believe the air dam makes a positive difference.

Thanks for the update on performance above the 100 degree mark. :thumbup:

We are still in the high 90's, barely hit 100 today, but the heat index has been 105 already due to the humidity. Yuck.

AZ Desert Spyder
06-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Rick,
The ones having the most problems was from heat on their right leg. The strange part about this is when we came out with the "Missing Air Dam" people were just getting their Spyders out for the summer and putting miles on them.

Several have come back on here after realizing their "Y" gasket was burn out. If the "Y" gasket is bad and the hot exhaust is on the engine casing then the engine coolant temp will raise and the leg will fry.

I was running all afternoon yesterday at 3 bars with 97 degrees outside. I get an extra bar lower due to using distilled water and Redline Water Wetter with the "Missing Air Dam".

Sorry to hear that you were hesitant due to a couple bad reviews. I certainly hope they got their "Y" gaskets replaced. If they peeled off the "Missing Air Dam" before getting the full benefit, I'm sure we have plenty to ship them.

Thanks,
Harvey
Thanks Harvey. As I mentioned, I've ordered it now and I look forward to getting it installed. I rode a few miles today and was at 5 bars almost all the time. I don't know how hot it was...my Spyder showed 105, but I know it runs a few degrees high. I'm anxious to see how much this mod helps. Thanks again.
Rick

bone crusher
06-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Rick,

Thanks,
Harvey

I got the Honda gasket in...just need time to do the replacement...argh! Haven't been on the bike in 3 weeks now...right leg will melt...can't wait to get the gasket done!

Tee_racy
06-20-2010, 02:00 PM
or will the RS work as well? I am not mechanical but am looking for everything to make it cooler and my ride even better:chat:

aka1004
06-20-2010, 02:16 PM
or will the RS work as well? I am not mechanical but am looking for everything to make it cooler and my ride even better:chat:

apparently, RT already has the air dam and this is a remedy for RS.
try water wetter. i added a bottle of water wetter to my coolant(brp's 50/50) and i am getting good result. almost a bar cooler.
i also have manual fan switch for heavy traffic+hot weather.

AZ Desert Spyder
06-22-2010, 08:41 AM
I received my "Missing Air Dam" and installed it yesterday. The temp in Phoenix was 105 degrees in the afternoon (my gauge actually read 111), so it gave me a great opportunity to test it out. Previously, I had been running at 5 bars when the temp got over 100, but yesterday it only reached 4 bars even at 105 degrees. The temp is supposed to be 110 by Thursday, so it'll be interesting to see if I can still stay at 4 bars! In any case, I certainly agree the Dam helps and I'm glad I bought it.

bone crusher
06-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Got the gaskets replaced...need to take a ride to check it out now...hopefully, that hot air on the right leg will be gone and the bike will run a little cooler...

pjp623
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Just installed missing air dam this past weekend--noticed an imediate difference--Thanks so much. :2thumbs:

AZ Desert Spyder
06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
It's hitting 110 degress or more almost every day now in Phoenix (113 one day). But I still ride my Spyder when I'm running errands around town and I haven't seen 5 bars sinced installing the Missing Air Dam!:2thumbs:

Questions
06-30-2010, 07:17 AM

Harvey

How about a baffle kit to keep the heat off the right foot. There are some pictures on Spyder Talk.

Thanks

SPYDERPOPS
06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
How about a baffle kit to keep the heat off the right foot. There are some pictures on Spyder Talk.

Thanks

WWW. (http://www.SPYDERPOPS.COM)SPYDERPOPS.COM (http://www.SPYDERPOPS.COM)
MUCH MORE TO COME, VERY SOON! OK, AFTER THIS WEEKEND BE SURE TO CHECK BACK.

bone crusher
06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Can someone please help with this situation. I changed the Y gasket and the bike is now not throwing out exorbitant heat onto the right leg...phew! Much more comfortable to ride...

However, on the highway for 20 minutes at a time yesterday and 5 bars...once in a while hit 4. I really don't notice any change in the heat bars with the air dam...it was in the upper 80s and sunny yesterday here in MD...if anything, the bike seems like it is running hotter, but that might just be because I am more aware of it with the air dam in...

Thoughts?

Campverdefela
06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Can someone please help with this situation. I changed the Y gasket and the bike is now not throwing out exorbitant heat onto the right leg...phew! Much more comfortable to ride...

However, on the highway for 20 minutes at a time yesterday and 5 bars...once in a while hit 4. I really don't notice any change in the heat bars with the air dam...it was in the upper 80s and sunny yesterday here in MD...if anything, the bike seems like it is running hotter, but that might just be because I am more aware of it with the air dam in...

Thoughts?
I totally tested it both on and off again, was a skeptic, but am convinced it works while moving and probably no difference while stopped in traffic. Have run in temps here of 109. Its a keeper.:clap:

Spyderman01
07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
At 60 mph on an 80 degree day in Wisconsin I will run 4 bars all day long, after installing the air dam now I run 3 bars all day long, so it really works! I still get a ton of heat on my legs, which isnt the most pleasant on a hot summer day in traffic, but in October it sure feels good...

Smylinacha
07-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I was thinking of getting one. It's been in the high 80's and low 90's here. Last week it broke 100.

I normally run 5 bars in the summer and the fan will go on and it will go down to 4 bars here and there.

I think the Spyder likes colder weather. Fall is my favorite time of year to ride :)

JimAlpha
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
got mine last week. fast shipping. installed and went for a ride. dropped 1 bar on average during day and night runs in Florida in 80 and low 90's. I am a believer. Simple, inexpensive and effective. Was easy to install. Thanks!

effgjamis
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I was getting 3 bars for awhile in the 80's-90 with the MAD, then boom I jumped to 4-5 bars at 60-75+ in 90+F.
Went for service last week and Joe fround that I had a small slit in the Overflow tank.. Therefore I am thinking that I am losing pressure for the coollant to work correctly.
Will be going in for a new Overflow tank, hopefully Wed this week.
Will follow up the results upon installation of the new Overflow tank.
As it is, I am running 4-5 and sometime 6 bars at 100F.

aaronsbs
07-13-2010, 11:21 AM
New to spderlovers. Fort worth Texas area. Just installed MAD this weekend and seems to help temp but increased hot air on right foot. After an hour ride yesterday large blister on ankle. Parking for now until it cools off. Is there anything that will help? only have 950 miles on 2008 due to surgerys. ready to ride but can't take the heat on foot. :helpsmilie:

Spyderman01
07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm guessing that with the MAD installed it is deflecting the hot air onto our legs now.......Dont know how to get around that, any ideas?

kman
07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Are you guys wearing shorts?The only time I notice it is if the fan is on sitting still while wearing tennis shoes.If I wear my boots (long pants)I don't have a problem.

aaronsbs
07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
The heat is so bad on the right foot with boots on, I have a blister on my leg just above my ankle. super hot air after installing MAD. outside temp was 97.

bjt
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm guessing that with the MAD installed it is deflecting the hot air onto our legs now.......Dont know how to get around that, any ideas?

Before anyone installs the MAD, the cool air flowing around the radiator was mixed with the hot air flowing through the radiator to lower the heat that is coming out of the opening on the lower side panel. With the MAD, it greatly decreases or totally eliminates the cool air flowing around the radiator so most of what you get coming out of the opening is radiator heated air. Some people have fabricated a baffle that fits the lower side panel to deflect the radiator heated air elsewhere but I haven't seen pics of that mod in a long time and I don't remember who did it and exactly how they did it.

Red Recluse
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I ordered it and got it installed but so far I have not been able to tell any diffference in cooling.The temp got up to 6 bars and smelled like something burning by the time I got home. I am thinking of taking mine off because it had never got this hot or smelled like this before installed the air dam.:dontknow:

Campverdefela
07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Are you guys wearing shorts?The only time I notice it is if the fan is on sitting still while wearing tennis shoes.If I wear my boots (long pants)I don't have a problem.
:agree:I ride with shorts and sandels all the time, no problem and hey its Arizona. Now because of my mods my machine is running its best ever [not too lean is key] and in the process the big air box and carbon canister have been eleminated. This has allowed for more air circulation.

aaronsbs
07-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Camp Verde , I remember them days live in phoenix 15 years. just wish I could ride like that. my 2008 is super hot on the right foot. park it today until i can figure a way to cool it. impossible to ride in this heat. Fort Worth Texas.:opps:

BRPjunkie
07-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Before anyone installs the MAD, the cool air flowing around the radiator was mixed with the hot air flowing through the radiator to lower the heat that is coming out of the opening on the lower side panel. With the MAD, it greatly decreases or totally eliminates the cool air flowing around the radiator so most of what you get coming out of the opening is radiator heated air. Some people have fabricated a baffle that fits the lower side panel to deflect the radiator heated air elsewhere but I haven't seen pics of that mod in a long time and I don't remember who did it and exactly how they did it.

:agree:1,250 mile Lake Michigan Loop seems to confirm this; cooler engine, hotter foot.

Spyderman01
07-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Perfectly said, "cooler engine-hotter foot"! Just think how good that hot foot will feel while riding this winter!

mrb
07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/scoop.jpg

http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/seal.jpg

As I post this my server is down :dontknow: so the images dont load but hopefully it will be back when you view this

docdoru
07-14-2010, 07:38 PM
http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/seal.jpg
As I post this my server is down :dontknow: so the images dont load but hopefully it will be back when you view this
Hey, that’s Silver Dream....:D

effgjamis
07-16-2010, 05:56 AM
OK... this is a follow up on my previous post as I have the MAD installed and was running 4-5 bars. And found that my overflow tank was cracked.
Upon returning to Kissimmee, ( 90 miles ) from Clearwater where I had the overflow tank replaced, I found that the top bar was 4 at 93 F at 80+mph for a few miles, and then when I droped to 75-80 mph it flickered between 3 and 4 bars. Then when the little rain came forth, which dropped the abient temp to 87 F I went to a steady 3 bars, at 75-80 mph.
So I guess it does work and am happy that it does. However, got to install the REPOPS heat reflector for my right leg,foot. That will be another story.

bone crusher
07-16-2010, 06:40 AM
After finally logging lotsa miles on my bike since the addition of the air dam, I have found that it has NO effect on the heat of my particular bike...I think the NE climate is the reason...here in MD it is in the 90s with about 90 humidity.

I read that it does great for people in hot climates, but I think the humidity negates the cooling effect....if anyone can chime in on this, that'd be great.

It doesn't do anything negative that I can see, so I'll keep it on. But, I still run 5 bars with an occasional 4.

High humidity anyone?

qasamm
07-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm in the same area BC and have the missing air dam. Similar experience- 4-5 bars if the temp is above 90, hot air, hot feet and eventually hot seat.

I'm starting to restrict my riding to early or late in the day when the temp starts to move down a bit.

M2Wild
07-16-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm in the same area BC and have the missing air dam. Similar experience- 4-5 bars if the temp is above 90, hot air, hot feet and eventually hot seat.

I'm starting to restrict my riding to early or late in the day when the temp starts to move down a bit.
4-5 is normal temp range. Hot seat and feet might be exaust leak.

qasamm
07-16-2010, 07:45 AM
4-5 is normal temp range. Hot seat and feet might be exaust leak.

This weekend I'm looking at the gaskets. I have under 1500 miles and can't imagine they're an issue but I'll obsess about it until I check.

SpyderWolf
07-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Very hot and humid here, many miles on my Spyder with MAD installed, and here is what I found.

Ambient temp < 80 = 3 bars
80 - 90 fluctuates between 3 and 4 bars depending on speed and traffic
90 - 100 stays on 4 bars solid
> 100 fluctuates between 4 and 5 bars depending on speed and traffic

Of course, when stopped for a while at a light, or in traffic, all of these numbers go out the window and I will hit 6 bars and occassionaly 7. The good news is it drops fairly quickly once I get rolling in clean air again.

We rode to the Fireworks event at Fort Gordon in Augusta on July 3. The ambient temp was 105, and we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic barely moving for 30 minutes. My Spyder threw a Hi Temp warning across the cluster but nothing more than that. My wife's actually went into Limp Mode at one point, but we were forced to stop very quickly after that to put on Jackets per the gate guards instructions. We spent a good 5 minutes or so answering questions the MPs had about the Spyders. When we started them back up, they were still registering 6 bars but traffic was much lighter and they dropped back down to 5 and then 4 within about 1 mile or so.

At this point all I can say is I believe the MAD is well worth the $25 investment. :2thumbs:

spyder3rdr
07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I installed the "m a d" last week and i rode around this weekend in temps in the high 90's and it dropped from 4 bars (normal) to 3 bars , so i'm sure this helps and for $ 25. , one of the best mods you can install :2thumbs:

bone crusher
07-20-2010, 08:49 AM
This weekend I'm looking at the gaskets. I have under 1500 miles and can't imagine they're an issue but I'll obsess about it until I check.

You're riding in the same climate as me. I have to be honest that my bike has felt hotter since adding the air dam. I am at 4-5 bars now, with the air dam, but I also think I have more heat being blown onto my right leg...the seat and metal under the seat seem to be much warmer.

I was figuring the air dam doesn't do any harm, but I'm getting suspicious now that I hear your issues...they are the same as me.

I changed my Y gaskets a month ago...I don't think that is your issue.

I think the heat and humidity create a different issue than just dry heat.

I might remove my air dam and call the dealership for the new fan. It is a warranty issue with hot-running bikes. If you're interested, maybe we can make a call and both have this done.

I go to Talbot in Easton, MD...about 70 miles for us, but nice ride over the Bay Bridge...

Thoughts?

wyobrit
07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
This is my first post having just got my Spyder 3 weeks ago, and just want to tell everyone thanks for all the great info on this site. Installed the air dam today and I am really surprised how well it works, very low humidity here in Wyoming so maybe that is why results are so good. Stays at 3 bars all the way up to 90 deg ambient. Great mod and could not be quicker or easier.:2thumbs:

NITSPYDER
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I just got mine today, I am about to install it, my temps here right now are 80-90 but the humidity is awful, I will ride this weekend and post results. I am running 4-5 bars most of the time, 5 more at stop lights or in heavy traffic.

hotglue
07-26-2010, 08:31 AM
The humidity should not make a difference on the temp on the Spyder... It does make a difference on the temp YOU feel....evaporative cooling in a dry climate, and the lack of it in a humid climate is what YOU feel . Unless the outside of the radiator is wet.... should not make a difference on the bike's operating temp. I have often wondered if the denser wet air would actually transfer more heat from the radiator than less dense dry air at the same temp.....

NancysToy
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
The humidity should not make a difference on the temp on the Spyder... It does make a difference on the temp YOU feel....evaporative cooling in a dry climate, and the lack of it in a humid climate is what YOU feel . Unless the outside of the radiator is wet.... should not make a difference on the bike's operating temp. I have often wondered if the denser wet air would actually transfer more heat from the radiator than less dense dry air at the same temp.....
:agree: I have wondered, too.