PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cleaner?

skypup
04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
What is the best thing for cleaning my RT-S windshield without harming it? Thanks in advance.

LittleJohn
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
If your lookin for just a polish up, I use pledge. If you wanna get the infamous TX lovebugs off, dampen a dryer softener sheet and lightly rub with it (very wet) til they dissolve. Mind you this will look very messy/milky, but washes right off with water or a lil soapy water. Best thing Ive found yet for them nasty critters.:2thumbs:

MouthPiece
04-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Lemon Pledge

NancysToy
04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I prefer to lay a wet terrycloth towel on windshields first, to soften the bugs. The other side (or another wet towel) will clean off the residue. Most of the time, I use Windex Multi-purpose Cleaner with ammonia for the final cleaning...or for lightly soild windshields. Do not use regular Windex with vinegar, it will craze the shield in time. Products made specifically for plastic, like Plexus, work very well, too. Just try to get off the majority of bugs before you rub much.

tea6638
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Lemon Pledge :2thumbs:

bikeguy
04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
I prefer to lay a wet terrycloth towel on windshields first, to soften the bugs. The other side (or another wet towel) will clean off the residue.

I agree. I use Plexus occasionally but seldom use anything but water. You'll be surprised how easy the bugs come off after soaking under the wet towel for a couple of minutes.

Cotton

superfly3
04-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I use something called work site,it is a cleaner and polisher,I used it for years being on the fire department on our emergency light lens and I been using it now for about a year on my windsheild works great. I used to get it at a website called galls.com but they don't sell it anymore I have two bottles left and have been looking around for more but no luck yet will have to call the manufacture I think.

rider2554
04-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I prefer to lay a wet terrycloth towel on windshields first, to soften the bugs. The other side (or another wet towel) will clean off the residue. Most of the time, I use Windex Multi-purpose Cleaner with ammonia for the final cleaning...or for lightly soild windshields. Do not use regular Windex with vinegar, it will craze the shield in time. Products made specifically for plastic, like Plexus, work very well, too. Just try to get off the majority of bugs before you rub much.
I agree with Scotty here except every few weeks I use a polish called "MAAS". Use it on my Harley windshield, plexiglas headlight covers on my Mustang, even use it on chrome, paint, and just about anything that needs polishing. Found it by accident at Walgreens one day and have never used anything other since. You can also check out their website at: www.metalbrite.net (http://www.metalbrite.net). Great stuff!!

Bozzzz
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
On page 134 of the manual it states:

"Do not polish windshield with any plastic cleaner/polish"

So is the only cleaner plain water?

clueless
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree. I use Plexus occasionally but seldom use anything but water. You'll be surprised how easy the bugs come off after soaking under the wet towel for a couple of minutes.

Cotton

:agree: good stuff same stuff they use I think in the Stealth Bombers. a lot of mc shops carry it now

also kawi shops have a plastic cleaner seems like Plexus but cheaper...

NancysToy
09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
On page 134 of the manual it states:

"Do not polish windshield with any plastic cleaner/polish"

So is the only cleaner plain water?
The reason it says that is that most plastic polishes and cleaners contain fine abrasives. They will scratch your windshield...or at very least remove the hard, protective coating. There are exceptions...the polishes made for acrylic aircraft windshields, like the one from Cee Bailey's, will work. If you rub the product between your fingers and it feels sticky or gritty...do not use it!

I have used Windex Multi-purpose with vinegar successfully for many years. Do not use regular Windex, or other products with ammonia, they will damage the windshield in time! Frankly water works OK, but it may take longer. Laying a wet towel on the windshield for a while, to soften the bugs and crud, does wonders. When things have softened up, use clean rags/towels, starting with wet ones, and more water, to clean things up. A microfiber cloth works well for the final drying, once clean. If you wipe the windshield up and down, and never sideways or in a circular motion, the inevitable scratches will not show or glare as much.

clueless
09-01-2010, 03:39 PM
heres the link for Plexus
http://www.jcwhitney.com/plastic-cleaner-protectant-and-polish/p2000740.jcwx?filterid=b1216j3&TID=YAH8446484&s_kwcid=TC-18267-455858742511-S-71512969511&ysmwa=5xgTmUtCV4_HvlBIw2G_BLTynEa18IzwvpuYBNP7_a9D bF3eNQBaeysc9JRuuPcn

definitely :2thumbs:

DragonSpyder
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Plexus works awesome but somewhat pricey!

Campverdefela
09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
good stuff same stuff they use I think in the Stealth Bombers. a lot of mc shops carry it now

also kawi shops have a plastic cleaner seems like Plexus but cheaper...
:agree:Place a wet towel over windshield for a few min. to soften the spots up, wipe off with damp sponge and or mild soap sol. then the Plexus. The Plexus will fill in most scratches.

skypup
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I found plexus earlier this year and I'm planning on using it. I've never seen anything remove dried off bugs so quickly and easily......it's instantaneous. Great stuff and worth the price IMHO. I use to wonder about the manual too but after 2 or 3 months of use plexus doesn't appear to be affecting my windshield at all. When I bought my bike I was given the mystery bottle of blue stuff and a cloth. What the heck is the blue stuff? They don't sell refills. That would be a good one to have on those TV commercials for the "slapchopper". They work well too. Ask me how I know.:firstplace:

dave01
09-02-2010, 02:19 AM
I do the soaked microfiber towel trick to get the bug goo off then Plexus for the final cleaning

mainespyder
09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I"ve used bug-b-gone on my windshields for years works great. spray on set for 30 sec wash with water. I"ve used it on every surface and had no issues on any of them. got at my wife's NAPA store.

ThreeWheels
09-03-2010, 04:14 AM
I do the wet towel thing for removing the bugs and other baked on stuff.

I found the Honda spray polish works great on everything. Not only does it clean and shine up everything, but it also lays down a thin layer of something like armor all, so the next layer of dirt doesn't stick, making it easier to clean up next time. It's made by Honda for all plastic surfaces so I can use it on all the tupperware and the windshield without any damage.
Two caveats when using the stuff:
1) After applying the polish, be careful if you want to double stick tape something to the plastic, like a garage door opener, or even a decal. It won't stick very well until you remove the protective layer by rubbing with alcohol.
2) DON'T use it on the seat or you'll be slip-sliding all over the place.

dancogan
09-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I use the wet towel method, too. It's great for getting those baked on bugs off the windshield. Then I use a polish by Novus. Think I got it at a Harley shop. Puts a nice polish on the windshield and is really effective at helping it shed water in the rain.

texasride
09-03-2010, 06:33 AM
i have used plexus on every bike wind shield i have ever had, never had any problem with it, you can also use it on the body of the bike too makes it look good :2thumbs::spyder2::yes:

clueless
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I"ve used bug-b-gone on my windshields for years works great. spray on set for 30 sec wash with water. I"ve used it on every surface and had no issues on any of them. got at my wife's NAPA store.

:shocked: I wouldnt use it unless its tar then I would wash and wax

bug be gone is like a weak gasoline solution... or at least it used to be. i would think that would be harsh on the windscreen or plastic long term.

I still say Plexus or any of the other mfg *honda, Kawaii, harley** ect make plastic cleaners. they work on the windscreen and the plastic body work of the Spyder.

mainespyder
09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Clueless, Been useing it for about 9 yrs on my Yamaha windshield once a wk and had no issues. Maybe they changed dont know for sure.

MotorTony
09-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Plexus. We have been using it on police motors for about a decade without any harm to the windshield. It works great on paint and chrome too.

SpyderRider
09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I found the Honda spray polish works great on everything. Not only does it clean and shine up everything, but it also lays down a thin layer of something like armor all, so the next layer of dirt doesn't stick, making it easier to clean up next time. It's made by Honda for all plastic surfaces so I can use it on all the tupperware and the windshield without any damage.
1) After applying the polish, be careful if you want to double stick tape something to the plastic, like a garage door opener, or even a decal. It won't stick very well until you remove the protective layer by rubbing with alcohol.

This is exactly what I use and it works very well! :2thumbs:

wtwing15
09-14-2010, 12:18 AM
If your lookin for just a polish up, I use pledge. If you wanna get the infamous TX lovebugs off, dampen a dryer softener sheet and lightly rub with it (very wet) til they dissolve. Mind you this will look very messy/milky, but washes right off with water or a lil soapy water. Best thing Ive found yet for them nasty critters.:2thumbs:

I use Plexus on all my bikes I find it helps in the rain(water beads) stops fogging up and is a good general cleaner.:2thumbs:

Bozzzz
09-14-2010, 08:16 AM
For those who like to ride in fog, rubbing compound is good.:clap:

NancysToy
09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
For those who like to ride in fog, rubbing compound is good.:clap:
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

InspectorGadget
09-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I just ordered some Plexus from www.mypilotstore.com (http://www.mypilotstore.com) it was the cheapest over JCW and 1 other MC online store.
I would have thought coming from an aircraft parts supplier they would have been higher priced, but I got fooled :2thumbs:
C-YA RL

sinkhole
09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer on my windscreen, as well as the body panels. Water on the windscreen "Beads Relentlessly"... them's their words. :2thumbs:

Trickie Dick
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I just ordered some Plexus from www.mypilotstore.com (http://www.mypilotstore.com) it was the cheapest over JCW and 1 other MC online store.
I would have thought coming from an aircraft parts supplier they would have been higher priced, but I got fooled :2thumbs:
C-YA RL
I think I paid between $10 & $11 for a can of Plexus at my dealer. Works great and I really don't consider it "expensive" since it goes a long way. :2thumbs:

cougar
09-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Plexus gets my vote. Works great. I can see the road now. :shocked:

MangoMike
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Been using Plexus for years, it works great.

buck1234
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Water - Water - Water Soft terrycloth or micro towel. Inexpensive and Bio friendly. Follow up with just a little squirt of Pledge or Plexis (both will last a real long time if you let the water do the work)

Fourty plus years cleaning windscreens. It really works. Wet towel in Zip Lock in trunk with the other stuff.

Buck1234 :2thumbs: :yes:

farmerjim
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide works great at disolving bug guts. An old Harley rider turned me on to it and been using it ever since. I use Plexus only to polish from time to time.

farmerjim

spyderhoov
09-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I do the wet towel thing for removing the bugs and other baked on stuff.

Honda spray cleaner polish, use it on everything, rarely use soap and water to clean.

budro
09-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Wet towel & soak a couple minutes unless you have an oily residue this will do it fine. Cee Bailey cleaner is great & won't craze windshield if the water won't work well enough.----Budro

johnandginger
09-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I found plexus earlier this year and I'm planning on using it. I've never seen anything remove dried off bugs so quickly and easily......it's instantaneous. Great stuff and worth the price IMHO. I use to wonder about the manual too but after 2 or 3 months of use plexus doesn't appear to be affecting my windshield at all. When I bought my bike I was given the mystery bottle of blue stuff and a cloth. What the heck is the blue stuff? They don't sell refills. That would be a good one to have on those TV commercials for the "slapchopper". They work well too. Ask me how I know.:firstplace:
i agree about using "PLEXUS " ,have not tried blue stuff from calsi which comes with your windshield

kjweed
04-12-2021, 01:13 PM
is there any thing with out a scent?
i have breathing issues and the Plexus is too strong of an odor.

Thanks

K80Shooter
04-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Try Dawn dishwashing liquid and a little water or whatever your wife has in the kitchen.

KX5062
04-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax

It smells great and works really well without yellowing or scratching. I've been using it for years with very good to great results.

Plarimer
04-16-2021, 02:51 PM
As an aside, and I’m not suggesting this on a Spyder, but when I used to do some low-level flying bugs in Nebraska are almost like a hail storm but without the damage. An old pilot taught me a trick. Spray the prop, spinner, front cowling, and leading edges of the wings with Pam. Once you get down you just wipe everything off with paper towels. Worked great. I have also used it on cars while traveling during bug season.