PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

derouink
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I just bought an 08 Spyder with 17000 km's. I've been riding for the past few weeks with no problem until a few days ago... I had an oil pressure light come on. With that, the engine ran rough when pushed over 4000 rpm. From what I can gather, one cylinder shuts down when an oil pressure problem occurs. When I looked at the Spyder the following day, it started fine and voila, no light. However the light did come back on after approx 10 minutes of riding. Up until this point, my oil level was normal with no visible oil leakage.

Over the weekend, I did notice a small approx 4 in sq oil puddle under the vehicule. I called BRP and they sent a towing vehicle and picked it up a few days ago. Yesterday I heard from the dealership and they said the problem was a faulty "oil pressure switch" and would replace the part either today or tomorrow. Before I pick up the Spyder, I'd like to be certain that their solution is a logical one...

To me, a faulty "oil pressure switch" ( I assume they mean sensor) doesn't explain the oil leak...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Lamonster
04-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I had 4 sensors leak oil. If your leak was on the right side then I would say your shop is correct. They had a bad run of sending units.

NancysToy
04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
A bad oil pressure switch often leaks. I suspect they are right. BTW, what you experienced is called "limp mode". The Spyder's rpm is limited in limp mode. In effect, you are running on the rev limiter, hence the rough running if you try too hard. You should also have had an engine icon on your dash display and a blinking "Limp Mode" message.

altonk
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
same thing happened to me broken oil pressuure switch diaphram. Towed to dealer replaced no problems since

boborgera
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
It happens on cars too, Scared me half to death when the oil light went on :yikes: So if it happens again i'm all :joke: done

derouink
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks a lot folks, I'm new to this and your guidance sure is appreciated. I'll be riding tomorrow!

Cheers!