PDA

View Full Version : Getting there

2manycars
04-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I added the ISCI running boards and extended brake-with a modification I added to give me one more foot/brake option. The ISCI handbrake, the Kewl Metal adjustable risers (took some playing with it ,but I think I have everything right now.

I also added the comfort seat, tank bag and an alarm.

Thirty six hundred ($3600) later I think I almost have it right. Now if I can get used to the wide seat all should be well.

Now that I have it almost set-up as an upright touring machine, I wonder why I did not get the RT to start with. I guess it was the 26K or so it cost, though at the rate I am going with options I may be there in time!

I love the Spyder, and it is the hit of my scooter club (EZ riders) in Pa.

SpyderWolf
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
When I purchased my Spyder, there was an older gentleman working at the dealership. He came up to me and said, "You know, the Spyder is just a down payment on accessories.". I had no earthly idea how true that statement actually was, but am learning all about it now. :D

At least when you are finished, your Spyder will be custom fit to you. If it makes you feel any better, I believe the RT seat is just as wide as the RS.

2manycars
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I just ordered the highway pegs from ISCi (add another $300.00 or so). My goal seems to be to add more accessories to the Spyder than the original bike cost.

THe mechanic at my dealer advised against adding a lot of accessories stating that everything that is added takes away what you would get for a trade, rather than adding to it.

I guess he means that the bike will need to be put back to stock if I ever decide to get rid of it-At this point, I am having a lot of fun working on my "project."

I just added the following to the ISCI extended brake and floorboards. It add another position, while keeping the braking in reach (though I have the hand brake as well). I am going to attempt to attach a picture.

Note-It is narrow enough not to interfere with the function of the brake, nor the foot position (for the most part). All I did was add a third bolt to the original exteded brake and tapped a small hole to attach the metal plate and pad to the floorboard bracket.

SpyderWolf
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
What he means is most of the time you will not get the money back that you put into the accessories when trying to sell the Spyder. What most people do, if they ever plan on selling, is to keep most of the stock parts around. Then when it is time to sell, the remove the accessories they can and sell those separately. This usually yields more money for the seller than letting them go with the Spyder.

2manycars
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I am having fun customizing the RS and though I may get the RT at some point, I have been able to get fairly comfortable using the various add-ons. Now if I could find a way to make the seat narrower........hmmmm!!!

Firefly
04-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I am having fun customizing the RS and though I may get the RT at some point, I have been able to get fairly comfortable using the various add-ons. Now if I could find a way to make the seat narrower........hmmmm!!!

It really gets addictive--- modding your ryde. Many times I would choose doing that instead of ryding.

I didn't do much for the first 5,000... then did a bunch.. and still keep finding things I want/need. Now at 16,000 miles and feel it's dialed in just about right for me.

Accessorize the ryde for YOU and your comfort-- not for the possible next owner or trade-in.:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
04-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Accessorize the ryde for YOU and your comfort-- not for the possible next owner or trade-in.:thumbup:

That is good advice.

Keep on having fun making your Spyder yours. :thumbup: