PDA

View Full Version : Changing Handle Bar Grips??? Couple Questions??

ImpalexSS
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I just got my new 09RS and I don't like the factory grips at all. They r very uncomfortable!! Question is, I would like to buy grips from the motorcycle shop, so will grips for like a streetbike fit?? I just want some soft rubber grips that will match the bike with like yellow in them. Or do I need to know a specific size like 7/8" or 1" bars??

ImpalexSS
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Also any tips and tricks are highly appreciated?? As in use glue, hairspray, and stuff like that!!

NancysToy
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
You need grips for 7/8" bars. Measure and make sure they are the right length, too. Lot of tricks for slipping them on and making them stick. I don't like glue, and neither my wife nor I uses hairspray, so that's not readily available to me. I'd tell you the trick I learned in the bike shop fifty years ago, but it is now considered to be dangerous, and I am not comfortable blabbing it around.

ImpalexSS
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Okay I measured the length!! Is it odd that the left side is 4 1/2 inches long and the throttle side is 5" inches long?? I wonder if new motorcycle grips are those lengths. If not I guess I'll have to get the black rubber grips from the can am website!!

patches
04-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Also note, I would say at least half the people here, don't have the stock grips and many have changed them including myself. I did the ISO grips, so much better.

AutumnCat
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Also note, I would say at least half the people here, don't have the stock grips and many have changed them including myself. I did the ISO grips, so much better.

I did Kury ISO grips, also. So much better!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4528854386_32a4f32fe4.jpg

wyliec
04-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Also any tips and tricks are highly appreciated?? As in use glue, hairspray, and stuff like that!!

I've used soap and water and mine have been on for a year now with no problem. Others have said with soap and water the grips have slid off.

fastfraser
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Okay I measured the length!! Is it odd that the left side is 4 1/2 inches long and the throttle side is 5" inches long?? I wonder if new motorcycle grips are those lengths. If not I guess I'll have to get the black rubber grips from the can am website!!

One side has a spacer. Both the new grips will be the same length.

aubierules
04-28-2010, 12:28 PM
You need grips for 7/8" bars. Measure and make sure they are the right length, too. Lot of tricks for slipping them on and making them stick. I don't like glue, and neither my wife nor I uses hairspray, so that's not readily available to me. I'd tell you the trick I learned in the bike shop fifty years ago, but it is now considered to be dangerous, and I am not comfortable blabbing it around.
i second the hairspray...acts as a lube going on, and like glue when dried

duneside
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I used glass cleaner, no problems in 2 years.

boborgera
04-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I used glass cleaner, no problems in 2 years.

:agree:
Same here glass cleaner [Windex] NO glue.