PDA

View Full Version : New Bicycle rack / Mod !!!!!!!!

stpd0021
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks to Mels Monster garage I have been able to mount my Bicycle rack onto my spyder. The best of both worlds, heading out Mountain biking but riding my spyder to get to the trails !!!6474

SpyderWolf
04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I must admit that is the first time I have seen anything like that. Does it have any impact on the handling of the Spyder?

docdoru
04-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Nice :2thumbs:

Firefly
04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks to Mels Monster garage I have been able to mount my Bicycle rack onto my spyder. The best of both worlds, heading out Mountain biking but riding my spyder to get to the trails !!!6474

Great idea. Is that using his standard hitch and just plugs into the receiver?

Do you have a way to lock your bike wheels in place (from spinning and from the handlebars turning)? Or isn't that a big concern?

Please post back with how it works. I thought something similar would be cool to take the mountain bike out to where the trails are.

Speaking of which -- if you haven't - you should check out the bike trails in Fort Custer - Battle Creek.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=BGM057-019

SpyderGirl
04-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I was trying to figure out how to do that. Would love to see more pictures.

Brevet05
04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I was trying to figure out how to do that. Would love to see more pictures.
+1:agree:

I actually went so far as to contact Bushtec about this application, and the response was that it was unsafe and that they couldn't recommend it. I pointed out that motorcycle manufacturers have said the same thing about motorcycle trailers in general, but they didn't respond. Now I just want to go back and get the BRP hitch mounted on my RT!

SpyderGirl
04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
I used my GS to pull a two bike dirt bike trailer I made with two dirt bikes and gear on it. The trailer with the bikes weighs about 600lbs. It pulls it just fine.

I was thinking on how to do the bicycle thing... you could weld a square reciever to a hitch already designed for the Spyder in order to recieve the hitch mounted bike carrier.

coolpilot
04-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Cool.:2thumbs:

I was thinking of this from day one. How, how , how. :2excited:
Can you share some more pictures and details please.

NancysToy
04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
I used my GS to pull a two bike dirt bike trailer I made with two dirt bikes and gear on it. The trailer with the bikes weighs about 600lbs. It pulls it just fine.

I was thinking on how to do the bicycle thing... you could weld a square reciever to a hitch already designed for the Spyder in order to recieve the hitch mounted bike carrier.
You could probably also create a bolt-on receiver, that you could install in leiu of the ball.

SpyderWolf
04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
They actually have racks that have the receiver on them already. I have one that is the smaller size, but also has a block for if you want to use it in a class 3 hitch. This is all assuming the MMG hitch is set up as a receiver type.

tjfischer
04-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Thats a heck of a MOD. Nice job. :2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
You could probably also create a bolt-on receiver, that you could install in leiu of the ball.

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking. :2thumbs:

stpd0021
04-28-2010, 06:40 PM
The Hitch is from mels Monster Garage in Roseville MI, it is the small receiver style and my rack just plugs right in.

I just use a bunge cord to hold the wheels and handlebars from turning and spinning. As far as handling, its great, you dont even know its there.

So the Basic's are, get the hitch and get a small receiver bike rack and plug her in.............

Ride safe guys and ladies !!!!!!!!!!!

SpyderGirl
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
I have the Corbin hitch which is just a ball, no reciever. I have a reciever-style rack that goes into a class I reciever. Just have to see if something is available to mount in lieu of the ball to recieve the rack.

SSG Bean
04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
I love cycling. As a matter of fact, I am doing the Ft. Leavenworth tri this weekend. However, I wouldn't be caught dead making my Spyder look that rediculous. The bicycles look awesome in the back of my Tacoma, but I'm afraid I'd have wear a red nose and gigantic red shoes to pull off riding around on a circus attraction. nojoke

Just my two cents that probably isn't worth the electrons spent to transmit this opinion. If it makes you happy; cool. But, I think it looks like a steamy pile of poo.

SpyderGirl
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I love cycling. As a matter of fact, I am doing the Ft. Leavenworth tri this weekend. However, I wouldn't be caught dead making my Spyder look that rediculous. The bicycles look awesome in the back of my Tacoma, but I'm afraid I'd have wear a red nose and gigantic red shoes to pull off riding around on a circus attraction. nojoke

Just my two cents that probably isn't worth the electrons spent to transmit this opinion. If it makes you happy; cool. But, I think it looks like a steamy pile of poo.

You are of course entitled to you opinion, however I think most people that would do this wouldn't leave the rack attached... I know I wouldn't

And for some, the Spyder is their only means of transportation... sometimes you have to do some improv. :D

SpyderGirl
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I found a rack that will mount with my set-up...

http://www.discountramps.com/ball-mount-bike-rack.htm

dltang
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
I found a rack that will mount with my set-up...

http://www.discountramps.com/ball-mount-bike-rack.htm

Good find!!

stpd0021
04-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Awesome im glad you found one that will work !!!!!!!!!!!!!

stpd0021
04-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Well after riding with the rack i decided to turn the forks of the rack around so that it didn't stick out so far, Now its perfect !!!!!!!!!!!! thinking about putting some sort of brake light onto the frame of the rack just to give it more brake light while the bike is on the back.

Anyone have any tips on wiring in the brake light????

Ronsam
04-30-2010, 10:04 PM
:2thumbs:

dltang
04-30-2010, 10:36 PM
:2thumbs:

That is cool. :2thumbs: