PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Coverage

mclaw44
04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
As my mad money grows and is getting closer to the price of a spyder for my very own. I am starting to think about insurance. Where, what and how much $$ is coverage for a spyder? Do you need to insure it year round? (in Ohio)

Thanks,
A spyder wonna be! and you all rock I love to read the posts!

Prense01
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I paid just over $500/year through progressive for a new RT-S.

Chris :spyder:

mike3069
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a bill in front of me from Geico for $350/yr. for my '08 SM

boborgera
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
As my mad money grows and is getting closer to the price of a spyder for my very own. I am starting to think about insurance. Where, what and how much $$ is coverage for a spyder? Do you need to insure it year round? (in Ohio)

Thanks,
A spyder wonna be! and you all rock I love to read the posts!

welcome:congrats:
I use Foremost, Full coverage = fire/theft, comp/collision, acc / towing.
I have no tickets or accidents, been with them since 1999,
$399 dollars. As far as not insuring it for a full year [even if it's legal in your state] don't do it, :lecturef_smilie: cover it for the whole year.

Sopher
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
WOW! you get off dirt cheap on those rates!

My RT-S with full coverage is $1119. Progressive wants $950 but i dont trust their claims ability.

Amika (who has my life insurance) wanted... get this... $1995 !!!

damn ripoff.

SpyderWolf
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I've got 2 Spyders insured with Progressive for around $1100 a year, don't have the bill in front of me. This includes the one time total replacement deal, instead of actual value coverage.

AllState, who I have been insured with for a long time now, wanted close to that amount for just 1 Spyder.

chillirider
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Full coverage for my Spyder with Progressive is 453.00 I am actually using USAA but they use Progressive for Motorcycle insurance. I get a discount because I have a lot with USAA.

WackyDan
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a clean license and with progressive.

Last year full coverage at minimum state mandates was $330 for my 08 SM5.

This year, the price dropped to $224.... So I called them and doubled my coverage, and cut my deductible in half... So now it is $266 for a full year. It includes $3000 in coverage for aftermarket parts.

I live in Matthews, NC right outside the city of Charlotte.

retread
04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
First, as I've posted before, make sure the ins co lists it as a "sport touring", NOT a "sport bike", it has built in storage so it qualifies...good for around $250.00 reduction.
My 08 GS runs me around $280.00 for 12 months full coverage.

john

GeminiJane
04-23-2010, 06:03 PM
After comparing prices, Foremost through the AARP site (one of the few advantages of being old) was the least expensive for the most coverage. I have good limits including "extras" for $284 per year - that's in IL. Back in '08 when I first looked for coverage, they were one of only a handful of companies that even knew what the Spyder was and had already built it into the computers.

pierrelogic
04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
I was with Liberty Mutual for 10 years. Then I go out and buy a Spyder. I get hit with a potential $940 quote from them on the Spyder. That was a slap in the face. I am the perfect customer...never complain, pay my bills on time, no points on my record and never have had an single insurance claim. Didn't matter. I had several conversations with them including the head dude in charge and still....sticker shock on insurance.

I made a single phone call to State Farm and was quoted $430 a year for the Spyder. Needless to say I moved all my insurance from LM to SF. Ironically, my insurance for the Spyder is cositng me more money than my truck and my condo. :dontknow:

Ohio resident...comparing apples to apples with orginal poster. Insurance varies widely from State to State of course. Oh and yes...must be insured year round with SF.

mclaw44
04-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks to everyone! This is all great info. This is what make Spyder lovers the best site on the web!! THANKS all!!!!!!

bone crusher
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Also depends on your coverage, deductible, etc...I think I pay about $450.00/year for the highest level coverage for everything imaginable. I have GEICO...wouldn't go with anyone else. I also occasionally work people who have been injured in MVCs...GEICO is by far the fairest insurance company to work with...others are really crummy, play games, and I wouldn't give them a dime...

Sopher
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Massachusetts is probably the toughest and most expenpensive for Insurance rates. My Spyder RT-s insurance is far more than my new Ford F150. But the two things that raise the premium considerably here: Less than 6 years with a motorcycle license and the cost of the bike new.