PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control

stillriding
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
After being a visitor for a couple of weeks I decided to become a member today. So please bear with me while I "learn the ropes." Some recent items posted are a bit scary, but overall I'm happy with my RT. In 40years of riding I've never had a more comfortable stock seat. Though my Spyder already needed a front end alignment (1200 miles on it as of today) to correct a strong pull to the left, my biggest complaint now is that I cannot engage the cruise control about 40% of the time. This is at speeds of 55mph and above and my mechanic hasn't yet been able to obtain a fix from BRP. I also discovered through a phone conversation with someone at BRP that the system is not designed to engage at speeds below about 42mph. They say it's a safety issue. My translation is that their attorneys are trying to protect the company from lawsuits from riders who don't know when/how to use cruise. I think we should be able to engage it at 35mph. When my cruise does engage, the lowest I can do it is at 45mph. The switch pod has been replaced as was the left side because I was unable to activate the left turn signal. Sorry this was so long. I'll be brief in the future.

xpeschon
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM
:2thumbs:

Bootie
04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I also discovered through a phone conversation with someone at BRP that the system is not designed to engage at speeds below about 42mph. They say it's a safety issue. My translation is that their attorneys are trying to protect the company from lawsuits from riders who don't know when/how to use cruise. I think we should be able to engage it at 35mph. When my cruise does engage, the lowest I can do it is at 45mph. The switch pod has been replaced as was the left side because I was unable to activate the left turn signal. Sorry this was so long. I'll be brief in the future.
First, to the Forumwelcome
Second, I can engage my RT's Cruise Control at about 20mph. Seems to work fine for me. I have to be in 2nd(or higher) Gear. Do you have a SE5? Maybe that's the problem.

stillriding
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, it is an SE 5 which, by the way, I really love.

fastfraser
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
welcome:congrats::spyder2: On.

docdoru
04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
welcome and :congrats:
Same here with McCruise control: cannot engage above 108 mph...:D

dave01
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Mine works great above 20mph. Holds within 1-2 mph

Prense01
04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
After being a visitor for a couple of weeks I decided to become a member today. So please bear with me while I "learn the ropes." Some recent items posted are a bit scary, but overall I'm happy with my RT. In 40years of riding I've never had a more comfortable stock seat. Though my Spyder already needed a front end alignment (1200 miles on it as of today) to correct a strong pull to the left, my biggest complaint now is that I cannot engage the cruise control about 40% of the time. This is at speeds of 55mph and above and my mechanic hasn't yet been able to obtain a fix from BRP. I also discovered through a phone conversation with someone at BRP that the system is not designed to engage at speeds below about 42mph. They say it's a safety issue. My translation is that their attorneys are trying to protect the company from lawsuits from riders who don't know when/how to use cruise. I think we should be able to engage it at 35mph. When my cruise does engage, the lowest I can do it is at 45mph. The switch pod has been replaced as was the left side because I was unable to activate the left turn signal. Sorry this was so long. I'll be brief in the future.

Make sure you are not contacting the brake pedal at all. It is very sensitive with disengaging the cruise or not letting it engage. Other than that, all I can say is that I have engaged mine at several different speeds and it engages every time. I do not think I have engaged below 40mph yet. I'll try that today and report back.

Chris :spyder:

Prense01
04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Tested this last night... I can engage cruise in any gear and at any speed above 15 mph. It was a bit strange with cruise engaged at 16mph in first gear. :clap:

InspectorGadget
04-24-2010, 04:56 PM
My cruise works GREAT, but I noticed that you have to "take up the slack" so to speak, before you dis-engage using the brake, OR it is like closing the throttle quickly.
After I "take up the slack" I tap the brake, the speed control is dis-engaged, the speed is maintained and I can back off the throttle as needed.
C-YA RL

Prense01
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
My cruise works GREAT, but I noticed that you have to "take up the slack" so to speak, before you dis-engage using the brake, OR it is like closing the throttle quickly.
After I "take up the slack" I tap the brake, the speed control is dis-engaged, the speed is maintained and I can back off the throttle as needed.
C-YA RL

Good point! A lot of engine braking on these.

stillriding
04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Tested this last night... I can engage cruise in any gear and at any speed above 15 mph. It was a bit strange with cruise engaged at 16mph in first gear. :clap:

Thanks. Time for another inquiry to BRP.

MouthPiece
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
4th gear, 35 MPH, and no problem.

bikeguy
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I just took my RT SM5 out to test it because I was curious. I engaged cruise control at 20 MPH in first gear with no problem and it held it right on the speed. I was wondering why anyone would want to engage the cruise at that low a speed when I remembered a long stretch of stoplights in Amarillo, Texas which are very accurately timed at either 30 or 35 MPH, can't remember for sure which. If you maintain the correct speed, you can get through every light without stopping so cruise at 30 or 35 MPH would do the job. I don't think I've ever encountered another strech of traffic lights which were timed accurately enough to make it worth trying to stay on the speed.

Cotton

retired1
04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I guess I haven't paid that much attention to mine on my RTS SE. I guess I figured it would have to be around 3000rpms, so the charging system would at least maintain a positive charge. I'll have to go for a ride tomorrow and pay more attention to the cruise.:D

dadof4
04-30-2010, 09:30 AM

I have the same issue with my RT-S SE5. I must be going 45 MPH to get the cruise to set. If I step the cruise down below 45 MPH it kicks off. This can't be right. The manual states it should set above 15 MPH. We have many 40 MPH roads in our area and I would like to be able to use the cruise! I've only got 180 miles on the Spyder. I'll have the dealer look into it on the 600 mile check up.

To make maters worse, even when it is set at 45 MPG, if I go up an incline and the bike slows down to about 43 the cruise kicks off.

stillriding
04-30-2010, 10:32 AM
I have the same issue with my RT-S SE5. I must be going 45 MPH to get the cruise to set. If I step the cruise down below 45 MPH it kicks off. This can't be right. The manual states it should set above 15 MPH. We have many 40 MPH roads in our area and I would like to be able to use the cruise! I've only got 180 miles on the Spyder. I'll have the dealer look into it on the 600 mile check up.

Good luck. If your dealer is able to correct this, will you please post the details?

MouthPiece
04-30-2010, 12:52 PM
welcome and :congrats:
Same here with McCruise control: cannot engage above 108 mph...:D

Is that when in reverse?:yikes:

taggtr
06-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Tried it last night going 45 in 4th and the cruise control would not engage. Had girlfriend on the back and was on a slight incline so maybe that could be a factor? I'll find a level straight stretch tonight and try it again.

scudrunner
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Cruise control will only engage in 5th gear.

IWN2RYD
06-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Cruise control will only engage in 5th gear.

Good no know... I originally was going to comment that mine will not go +1mph no matter what I do. But at least mine will set the Cruise at any speed over 35 MPH and any gear from 2nd on... :2thumbs: So I think I will leave it at that...

retired1
06-14-2010, 10:50 AM
My cruise will engage in any gear if the RPMs are over 3500. If it pulls down and drops below 3500 the cruise will disengage. This is in non trailer mode. Just my experience with my bike.

NancysToy
06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
My cruise will engage in any gear if the RPMs are over 3500. If it pulls down and drops below 3500 the cruise will disengage. This is in non trailer mode. Just my experience with my bike.
:agree: I do not recommend using cruise anywhere but on highways (two-lane or divided), however. I personally believe they should set a minimum speed of 45 for it to be able to be engaged.

ARtraveler
06-14-2010, 12:34 PM
No issues whatsoever with my cruise control. Use it mostly on the highway rides over 60 mph. We have a lot of roads that are twisty, and needing gear changes ever so often--so I don't use cruise on those roads. Cruise should engage at 15-20 mph if desired---I have engaged mine as low as 30. Cruise holds the speed with 1 to 2 mph. Mine seemed to work a little erratic at first as far as engaging it and changing speeds up and down--currently, I have not had any of these issues after several uses of the cruise. Maybe I'm getting better at working the controls.

Brevet05
06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I just took my RT SM5 out to test it because I was curious. I engaged cruise control at 20 MPH in first gear with no problem and it held it right on the speed. I was wondering why anyone would want to engage the cruise at that low a speed
Cotton
I live on a street where the speed limit is 20 mph and the law enforcement is very enthusiastic. I routinely finish my rides with a 20 mph cruise control use. Besides, travelling that slowly gives me time to turn off the a/c and dry out the vents... Oh wait, that's my other vehicle!

Brevet05
06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Cruise control will only engage in 5th gear.:hun:
Not sure why yours works that way; I've used the cruise control in every gear, at speeds from 16 to 85 mph.

Brevet05
06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
:agree: I do not recommend using cruise anywhere but on highways (two-lane or divided), however. I personally believe they should set a minimum speed of 45 for it to be able to be engaged.
Scotty,

Not sure I understand, but I'm eager to learn. Is there damage I'm exposing my RT to by using the cruise at lower speeds?

NancysToy
06-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Scotty,

Not sure I understand, but I'm eager to learn. Is there damage I'm exposing my RT to by using the cruise at lower speeds?
It won't hurt your RT. I just feel it is a serious safety hazard. My personal opinion only. If you are using cruise I feel you become "zoned" and are not as alert to hazards. A motorcyclist has to be right on top of his/her game every second...those cagers are trying to kill us! I also feel that effect of placency can slightly delay reaction times, which are critical, say if a child ran out in the street in front of you. Out on the highway you have fewer hazards. Houses are farther away, and intersections are spaced far apart. In town there is just too much stuff for it to be safe, IMO. Sorry to be sour grapes, but to me there are just times and places to avoid using cruise control...just like a prudent person avoids using it in bad weather in a car.

Brevet05
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
OK, that makes good sense. I guess my take was that it precluded my inadvertently climbing above the posted speed limit, so was therefore more efficient. I'll have to re-think the safety piece. I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, so not a lot of other cars, kids, etc., but I can see where that mightn't be good policy overall.

dancogan
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Perhaps it's just individual differences, but I use cruise control in many different situations, because I feel it makes me more alert, not less. When I don't have to worry about my speed I can be more alert to hazards in the road, to signs, to everything else. Without a doubt, though, I'll agree that it should not be used in bad weather!

NancysToy
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
OK, that makes good sense. I guess my take was that it precluded my inadvertently climbing above the posted speed limit, so was therefore more efficient. I'll have to re-think the safety piece. I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, so not a lot of other cars, kids, etc., but I can see where that mightn't be good policy overall.
I may well be the only human on earth that feels the way I do, but I feel there is a tendency for use of cruise to produce a 'highway hypnosis" type of effect, slowing a drivers reflexes. It is a sort of distracted driving to me. You'll have to make up your own mind about "when-and-where". I won't be the slightest bit surprised if your decision does not agree with my views. :D

IWN2RYD
06-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Perhaps it's just individual differences, but I use cruise control in many different situations, because I feel it makes me more alert, not less. When I don't have to worry about my speed I can be more alert to hazards in the road, to signs, to everything else. Without a doubt, though, I'll agree that it should not be used in bad weather!
:agree: with this and what Scotty is saying as well. Depending on the weather and my personal capacity that particular moment decides which way I go.

I found at first that I had to use the cruise control a lot. Mainly because it was so easy and fast to be speeding, while on the other hand it drops so fast when you push the throttle up...

Anyway... I love the Cruise for my arthritis in my wrists. It allows me to take a break when needed/possible. Both hands still on the handlbar mind you, just not "Gripping" as hard or having to hold in one position to long.

scudrunner
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, I guess my cruise will be looked at when I take it in for the clutch recall (which we got in the mail today). The cruise worked well when we first got it, but now it is hard to set and will only increase speed with an upward bump, but the downward bump disengages it. And only works in 5th gear, regardless of RPMs. But I don't use it often.

bikeguy
06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
The cruise on my RT is the first real cruise control I've ever had on a bike and I love it. It may vary plus or minus 2 - 3 mph but that's close enough for me. As I posted earlier, I engaged mine at 20 mph in first gear just as a test and it worked fine. Still, I seldom engage it under 60mph and just don't see many reasons to use it anywhere but on relatively straight stretches of highway. One thing I have had to become accustomed to is that I can't cancel cruise by simply twisting the throttle off. Having used Throttlemeisters or other versions of throttle locks for many years, I was used to simply twisting the throttle off and that doesn't work with the Spyder's cruise control. I'm not complaining about it, just saying that I try to be sure that my foot is always over the brake pedal to disengage the cruise and slow down if I need to.

Cotton

canam9
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
welcome:congrats: :ani29: