PDA

View Full Version : Zumo 660 GPS Mount for RT

3Ryder
04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
This part (#709400662) is included with the Zumo 660 GPS kit that BRP sells for the RT. However, BRP will not sell the part individually. Even when the parts desk at my dealer tried to obtain one, asking what he might do if one of his techs damaged or broke it during an install, he was told he'd have to buy a complete GPS kit. Crazy, huh? The margin for BRP on the kit is so high that they are doing anything they can to keep customers from buying the Zumo 660 off the shelf and doing their own install, as I did.

But it is what it is, as they say. So...if someone could surrender the GPS mount from their kit for a few days and have it CNC'd, there's some money and demand just waiting to be taken advantage of. I wonder if ISCI would be interested? If there's anyone in Southern Nevada who has one, I can make it happen. Once the first one is programmed into the machine, they could be knocked out pretty easily and quickly.

NancysToy
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
This is common for all of BRP's Spyder accessories. The part number is listed in the instructions, but the separate parts are not available on the BRP system. We had to get a new foglight decal when they replaced Nancy's console. It took 1 1/2 years and Carlo's help to get BRP to list it on their parts system. After that, it took them another month before they assigned it a price so the dealer could actually order it. If this had not been a warranty repair, it probably would have never happened, resulting in a cost of several hundred dollars, just to get a decal.

If you can't live with an aftermarlet mount, or a RAM mount, you will have to bite the bullet. Similar situation with BMW's GPS.

3Ryder
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
This is common for all of BRP's Spyder accessories. The part number is listed in the instructions, but the separate parts are not available on the BRP system. We had to get a new foglight decal when they replaced Nancy's console. It took 1 1/2 years and Carlo's help to get BRP to list it on their parts system. After that, it took them another month before they assigned it a price so the dealer could actually order it. If this had not been a warranty repair, it probably would have never happened, resulting in a cost of several hundred dollars, just to get a decal.

If you can't live with an aftermarlet mount, or a RAM mount, you will have to bite the bullet. Similar situation with BMW's GPS.

Actually, the dealer was able to locate the individual part on their parts system using the number, but the system also said that they had to call BRP instead of just being able to place an order. That's when I had the pleasure of listening (one side anyway) to the dealer talk to BRP. Sounded a bit like Catch-22 to me. :popcorn:

3Ryder
04-21-2010, 06:59 PM
I am going to try the Kewl mount and see if I can use some bushings to lift the 660 high enough to avoid the handle bars (being wider than the 550). If that doesn't work, I'll try the Ram mount. Still wish I could get my hands on that GPS mount long enough to get it CNC'd.

InspectorGadget
04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Here is my take on mounting a GPS on the RT.
I used my wifes Garmin Nuvi and it works great.
A small piece of 3/32" aluminum with 2 SS flat head 5/16" screws placed into 2 bent electrical terminals.
I had to drill out 2 3/8" SS nuts to use as spacers under the electrical terminals.
The garmin is fastened with hook & loop and when parked it stores on hook & loop along side the IPod Nano in the trunk.
C-YA RL

3Ryder
04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Here is my take on mounting a GPS on the RT.
I used my wifes Garmin Nuvi and it works great.
A small piece of 3/32" aluminum with 2 SS flat head 5/16" screws placed into 2 bent electrical terminals.
I had to drill out 2 3/8" SS nuts to use as spacers under the electrical terminals.
The garmin is fastened with hook & loop and when parked it stores on hook & loop along side the IPod Nano in the trunk.
C-YA RL

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.:clap:

InspectorGadget
04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
I noticed that there was a lot of screen glare from my Garmin Nuvi while riding to Leesburg last weekend, so I have made a modification to the mount that allows for some gimble adjustment and thereby reducing the angle and less glare.
Cost for modification was under $20.00 and it works even better than before.
C-YA RL

dave01
04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I am going to try the Kewl mount and see if I can use some bushings to lift the 660 high enough to avoid the handle bars (being wider than the 550). If that doesn't work, I'll try the Ram mount. Still wish I could get my hands on that GPS mount long enough to get it CNC'd.

660 fits perfect on the Kewlmetal mount just the way it is

Jornie1
04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, Nuvi...not waterproof... I don't think it is even water resistant...Good luck.. Len
I noticed that there was a lot of screen glare from my Garmin Nuvi while riding to Leesburg last weekend, so I have made a modification to the mount that allows for some gimble adjustment and thereby reducing the angle and less glare.
Cost for modification was under $20.00 and it works even better than before.
C-YA RL

InspectorGadget
04-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Hmmm, Nuvi...not waterproof... I don't think it is even water resistant...Good luck.. Len
That's OK. For the price difference of the zumo I can buy a few Nuvis if I had to. Don't do much riding in the rain, and if it started I could just unsnap the Nuvi and put it in my pocket.
I am looking at possibly mounting an Aqua Box, just haven't found the right vendor/price yet. Still shopping.
Thanks for the heads up about waterproof unit though.
C-YA RL

Brevet05
04-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Caution on the friction mount for the GPS. I had a similar setup on my bike and had the GPS come free crossing a RR track at speed. I've since velcro'ed straps over the face. Lose some of the map, but I'm mostly after the voice prompts anyway.

3Ryder
04-30-2010, 06:53 AM
660 fits perfect on the Kewlmetal mount just the way it is

And to the Kewl mount I added the Touratech and all is well.

Tenfour57
04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Happy new RTS owner here...
I would love a GPS but just can't justify paying the dealer another $1500+ for a Nuvi installed!

I am not the least bit techy, so please excuse if this is a dumb question, but I am not seeing anywhere how you either hardwire the GPS or run wires to the back power source.... Or, are you just charging it at home before each use?

Thanks for your help. This site has been indispensible to me in deciding to buy and learning to ride (brand new motorcycle licensee, too!).:D

InspectorGadget
04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Happy new RTS owner here...
I would love a GPS but just can't justify paying the dealer another $1500+ for a Nuvi installed!

I am not the least bit techy, so please excuse if this is a dumb question, but I am not seeing anywhere how you either hardwire the GPS or run wires to the back power source.... Or, are you just charging it at home before each use?

Thanks for your help. This site has been indispensible to me in deciding to buy and learning to ride (brand new motorcycle licensee, too!).:D
I have not hard wired my Nuvi 200w yet, but when I park I lock it in the rear trunk, where I attach the charge plug for battery replenishment. When I get ready to go I open the rear trunk, toss in my hat and pull out the recharged Nuvi, place it on the mount, and hit the road.
I'm glad you are happy about your new RTS.
Good luck--ride safe C-YA RL