PDA

View Full Version : Dealer service while travelling

ThreeWheels
04-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Motorcycle Dealer networks are legendary for helping people from out of state while on tour.
There are many stories Harley dealers who got their transport trailer and went to go pick up someone on the road and rescued them. Sometimes even to the point of inviting a stranded couple to stay overnight while their bike gets fixed.
I know of one Honda dealer who rescued a couple in their Gold Wing, and opened up his shop on a Sunday to replace a front tire.
I'll be in Richmond VA on Friday. There are two, not one but TWO Can Am dealers in Richmond. I'll need the oil changed, since I'll be at the 3,000 mile point by then and still over 500 miles away from home.
The first dealer won't do an oil change on Friday. The second dealer is booked up 2 weeks in advance and won't shift any appointments around to accommodate me. I'll have to do the oil change myself in the parking lot of where I'm staying.
Gosh, I hope these dealers won't be too inconvenienced if I try to buy the oil and filter from them.
I guess I'm spoiled by Gargano's in East Haven.
I am now, unfortunately well aware of why there are SO MANY damn problems with Nancy's Toy and other bikes.
Seriously, if anyone from BRP is reading this, the dealer network is the backbone of sales. No matter how great your machine is, if you can't get it serviced, it's worthless.
Without some serious attention to the dealer network, customers aren't going to be supported enough to buy more units.
Think Betamax.
At this point, I just hope to God I didn't spend $25,000 on an Edsel.

SethO
04-20-2010, 03:20 PM
I was just thinking about this situation this morning, moto guzzi and bmw riders have a owners booklet that has other owners who list either:

address

phone #

services (a garage to change oil, or more)

a extra place to stay in a area

info on the area they live in

I think we should have one on spyderlovers, especially after the spyderfest I just got back from, I would help out another spyder owner who I personally didn't get along with because I would expect the same, we are all in this together and there are not enough dealers in some areas. Plus you coming in may not be as good as someone local that personally knows the wrench at the dealership.

I will start

Seth O

Bemidji, MN

218-556-3994

garage that you could do everything to a spyder except for the budds deal (and maybe that)

A extra room to stay and all the local road info you can handle.

dltang
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
There as already been a thread concerning this very thing. Here is the link to the document to add your info to the list. Spyders to the Rescue (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuvygJQcjlsBdEtocnZzRy1HTFZpS1dfVUxsclZiW VE&hl=en) Just add your information and then under file click save and close. Lamont will be posting the link on the home page soon. There are already 23 other SpyderLovers with info on the list. It is set up so that you can print it out prior to a trip in the event you don't have internet access on the road. It is a great idea. Kind of a SpyderLovers phone book. :2thumbs:

SethO
04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
There as already been a thread concerning this very thing. Here is the link to the document to add your info to the list. Spyders to the Rescue (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuvygJQcjlsBdEtocnZzRy1HTFZpS1dfVUxsclZiW VE&hl=en) Just add your information and then under file click save and close. Lamont will be posting the link on the home page soon. There are already 23 other SpyderLovers with info on the list. It is set up so that you can print it out prior to a trip in the event you don't have internet access on the road. It is a great idea. Kind of a SpyderLovers phone book. :2thumbs:

I tried to save as but I am not seeing a save button, do you have to be part of the google system that does this?

AutumnCat
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I tried to save as but I am not seeing a save button, do you have to be part of the google system that does this?

I just added my info. Don't need to hit a save button.
Add your info and it stays.
Try it - close the document and re-open.

fastfraser
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=SKS06460;199835]Motorcycle Dealer networks are legendary for helping people from out of state while on tour.
There are many stories Harley dealers who got their transport trailer and went to go pick up someone on the road and rescued them. Sometimes even to the point of inviting a stranded couple to stay overnight while their bike gets fixed.
I know of one Honda dealer who rescued a couple in their Gold Wing, and opened up his shop on a Sunday to replace a front tire.
I'll be in Richmond VA on Friday. There are two, not one but TWO Can Am dealers in Richmond. I'll need the oil changed, since I'll be at the 3,000 mile point by then and still over 500 miles away from home.
The first dealer won't do an oil change on Friday. The second dealer is booked up 2 weeks in advance and won't shift any appointments around to accommodate me. I'll have to do the oil change myself in the parking lot of where I'm staying.

Make sure your dealer has the filter,crush washers and oil before you start . For the sake of 500 miles i would drive her home and get service from your dealer.

boborgera
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
:agree: I'd do the same.......
:dontknow:
Also agree, Even a thousand over wont hurt any thing.

garganos
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Motorcycle Dealer networks are legendary for helping people from out of state while on tour.

Gosh, I hope these dealers won't be too inconvenienced if I try to buy the oil and filter from them.
I guess I'm spoiled by Gargano's in East Haven.
I am now, unfortunately well aware of why there are SO MANY damn problems with Nancy's Toy and other bikes.
Seriously, if anyone from BRP is reading this, the dealer network is the backbone of sales. No matter how great your machine is, if you can't get it serviced, it's worthless.
Without some serious attention to the dealer network, customers aren't going to be supported enough to buy more units.
Think Betamax.
At this point, I just hope to God I didn't spend $25,000 on an Edsel.

We will take care of it when you get back. Don't worry about it, have fun and ride. We did your first oil change at 600 so you can go up to 4000 with out an issue. Enjoy your trip.:2thumbs: