PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

Questions
04-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Hello folks,

I am a soon to be Spyder owner when I return from deploying. I have been lurking this site for the past couple months and have been extremely informed with all the good and not so good things about the Spyder. Thank you all for the info.

I havent been on a bike for a number of years and helmet technology has obviously grown by leap and bounds. I am undecided as to what type to get. I am leaning towards a modular type..much easier to lift up so the cop at the gate can ID me. And I read they provide a bit more ventilation. But then I have read they have an issue where if you were to have an accident they can lift up..Not Good. A full face, of course would not have that issue, but I live in Texas and its hot as Hades in the summer. Soooo...my question is..What helmet do you wear and why?

Once again, thanks for all the good info you all have posted on this site.

Jay

BajaRon
04-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Hello folks,

I am a soon to be Spyder owner when I return from deploying. I have been lurking this site for the past couple months and have been extremely informed with all the good and not so good things about the Spyder. Thank you all for the info.

I havent been on a bike for a number of years and helmet technology has obviously grown by leap and bounds. I am undecided as to what type to get. I am leaning towards a modular type..much easier to lift up so the cop at the gate can ID me. And I read they provide a bit more ventilation. But then I have read they have an issue where if you were to have an accident they can lift up..Not Good. A full face, of course would not have that issue, but I live in Texas and its hot as Hades in the summer. Soooo...my question is..What helmet do you wear and why?

Once again, thanks for all the good info you all have posted on this site.

Jay

welcome

Hope your "Lurking" days are over!

I am a full face helmet wearer. I like high protection with low weight. These priorities are fullfilled best in a full face helmet. Modular helmets are more convenient but heavier and give less protection (though a well made modular should not come open in an accident).

There are plenty of modular lovers here and this design certainly has some advantages over 3/4 open face and full face helmets. You always give something up to get something. So your priorities will make your decision for you.

I am sure you'll get a lot of great advise from this bunch.

Good luck on your helmet selection and happy riding!

NancysToy
04-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Buy one that fits, and that you try on first. I would not buy my first helmet mail-order.

M2Wild
04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Should alway try it on in person before buying. Full is safer than half or cap. Most people buy for its look and functionality. Adquate vent is important if it gets hot. DOT approved Snell rated is a must. It's your head (and you only got one) so don't skimp on $$$. Buy something comfortable that you want to wear it all the time. But if you are just tooting around town, a skull cap might be enough.

I am sure our resident helmet guru Motad will chim in at some point.

scudrunner
04-20-2010, 08:51 AM
We got the Scorpion EXO-900. Transformer modular. The chin part raises up (easier to get on) and it can be removed and used as a 3/4 helmet. A little heavier than full face, but I haven't found them to be uncomfortable. The chin piece seems to lock in place pretty well. Good features including a smoke visor that pulls down in either the 3/4 or full face. The only thing I need now is an oxygen mask!

BajaRon
04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Should alway try it on in person before buying. Full is safer than half or cap. Most people buy for its look and functionality. Adquate vent is important if it gets hot. DOT approved Snell rated is a must. It's your head (and you only got one) so don't skimp on $$$. Buy something comfortable that you want to wear it all the time. But if you are just tooting around town, a skull cap might be enough.

I am sure our resident helmet guru Motad will chim in at some point.

I don't believe that any of the Modular helmets are Snell rated.

Actually, there is a lot of good data showing that a Snell rated helmet causes greater brain injury than a DOT only rated helmet. in other words, your Snell helmet may hold up better in an accident but your head will not.

Snell ratings were developed (and are still heavily influenced) by the auto racing industry. What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander in this case.

I have not researched the new 2010 Snell motorcycle helmet requirements yet. There may be some improvement for the MC rider with their latest requiremnts because there has been a lot of heat put on Snell to make a legitmante separate standard for MC helmets to improve safety.

The Snell standard makes the helmet harder shelled. While a harder shell may sound good it does not give added protection to a MC rider (real world). In fact it reduces protection because more impact is transferred to the head/brain with a Snell rated helmet than a DOT only helmet.

Unfortunately, marketing (Snell has done a great job here) has convinced the majority that "Snell is a must". This has forced manufacturers to bow to the will of the consumer even though it makes the helmet more expensive, heavier and less safe.

There are some very good quality DOT only helmets out there and I would not hesitate to purchase one if it fulfills all your other needs.

retired1
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I've owned several helmets and now use an AGV Miglia modular. Before I bought it I found and tried one on at a dealer and then bought it off the 'net, saving substantial $$$. It works well for me. I wear glasses and found it impossible to put a full coverage helmet on with them on, and still have it fit tight enough. When I stop I just flip it up and fuel and don't have to take it off to take a drink or speak clearly etc. For me , the modular style gives me the most protection and convenience of any other helmet offered. Just my opinion!

Gordy
04-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I couldnt have said it better:2thumbs:

scudrunner
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I wear glasses and found it impossible to put a full coverage helmet on with them on,
My sentiments exactly. My wife also has a titanium bracket in her neck, finds it difficult at best to put on a full face.
And no, they are NOT SNELL approved. But I believe (as BajaRon hit on) that it's the inside of the helmet that is going to provide the most protection and hopefully the outside will absorb impact by shedding parts.

TonyMac
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Welcome :spyder:Lover!

If you live near San Antonio, I would highly recommend Moto Liberty on 281 just north of Bitters (there's also another in Dallas). They are a real motorcycle accessory shop and they will spend the necessary time to help you find the right helmet that fits.

I had been wearing a modular HJC helmet that was XXL and when I went to Moto Liberty, they measured my head and found out I should be wearing a Large. That is 2 sizes too big and a real safety hazard.

I wound up buying a full face Arai and I really love it. It fits like an old shoe and is very comfortable. The ventilation is excellent even in this God awful Texas heat. I would take safety over convenience any day.

I also wear glasses and found many helmets difficult to use with them, especially the light thin frames I wear, but the new Arai as special slots that get the glasses on with really no problems at all.

Prense01
04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Welcome :spyder:Lover!

If you live near San Antonio, I would highly recommend Moto Liberty on 281 just north of Bitters (there's also another in Dallas). They are a real motorcycle accessory shop and they will spend the necessary time to help you find the right helmet that fits.

I had been wearing a modular HJC helmet that was XXL and when I went to Moto Liberty, they measured my head and found out I should be wearing a Large. That is 2 sizes too big and a real safety hazard.

I wound up buying a full face Arai and I really love it. It fits like an old shoe and is very comfortable. The ventilation is excellent even in this God awful Texas heat. I would take safety over convenience any day.

I also wear glasses and found many helmets difficult to use with them, especially the light thin frames I wear, but the new Arai as special slots that get the glasses on with really no problems at all.

Which model Arai? My wife wears glasses, and she has a tough time putting them on after donning a helmet.

Chris :doorag:

Smylinacha
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi! In warm weather I wear a little shorty - pretty much next to nothing and we do not have a helmet law here in CT. When it's cold I was wearing a 3/4 but I looked too much like Kazoo so i switched to a modular full face. I just don't like the weight of helmets. I got a Zamp which is very light and fits me well but I'd rather wear my shorty.

I like the modular so I can put it up to breath and feel less constricted.

Arachnid
04-20-2010, 12:38 PM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9083/bladehelmet.jpg
This is the Blade Helmet.
I have found this to be a great compromise You can get them in several colors and dif. shields. I think Lamont has one. I have a batch of different helmets which I wear at different times of the year. ie. full face modular in the winter and shorty in the hot summer. And this in between.
Hope this helps.
By the way ----- Welcome Aboard!
Mike

BajaRon
04-20-2010, 12:43 PM
My sentiments exactly. My wife also has a titanium bracket in her neck, finds it difficult at best to put on a full face.
And no, they are NOT SNELL approved. But I believe (as BajaRon hit on) that it's the inside of the helmet that is going to provide the most protection and hopefully the outside will absorb impact by shedding parts.

It is a bit difficult to put glasses on with a full face helmet (and impossible to put the helmet on with glasses in place). I just deal with it because the few seconds it takes me to put glasses on is well worth the many hours of reduced helmet weight on my head.

The helmet absorbs impact by crushing. The stiffer/harder shell required by Snell inhibits this crushing action which transfers more force to the head/brain. The idea is to get maximim helmet sacrifice and minimum energy transferred to the head.

As a general rule, DOT only helmets get the job done better than Snell rated helmets.

Questions
04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the info!!

I am currently stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene Tx. This place is on the outskirts of the desert so it heats up pretty good during the summer months...heck, and fall too! I am not so concerned with weight as I am with ventilation. Deploying as much as I do to some "hot spots", figuratively and literally, I am not a stranger to heat. There is a motorcycle shop in town, but they never seem to be open when I go past, so my other option is Wamart. My eye has been on that Scorpion EXO-900 modular, since it provides so many options. I see that it is DOT approved, but I dont see SNELL associated with that. Am I missing something there? I also that it is ECE approved. I know that Europe has some tough standards. Whenever I see some that is TUV it has to be good. But, like it has been stated above...I only have one head in a lifetime...so I better protect it!!

G-Man
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/images/AF9B/AF9B_Black-005_Large.jpg (http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/af9b.html#)This is the Fulmer AF 9B. Lightweight, DOT Approved, SNELL constructed. Full view faceshield and built in sun visor. Not as costrophobic as a full face, or as top heavy as a modular when the front is up. Great helmet.

scudrunner
04-20-2010, 02:32 PM
My eye has been on that Scorpion EXO-900 modular, since it provides so many options.
As I mentioned in a previous posting, they are not SNELL. I don't think the modular helmets would meet Snell requirements no matter how hard they made them. But they are versatile. You can remove the jaw portion and put the included visor on to make it a 3/4. Also has a bladder in the neck collar you can pump up to fit better and cut out some of the outside noise.

bikeguy
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM

I agree. It's really hard to find a place where the staff knows and understands helmets. And helmets are much harder to fit properly than most people (and salesmen) realize. Most people wear a helmet that is too large and is still uncomfortable. The Moto Liberty staff are as good as you'll find.

Cotton

BajaRon
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Modular helmets cannot meet Snell requirements because of their flip-up design so you aren't going to find any that have the Snell sticker.

The ECE standard is better suited to MC helmets than the Snell rating. It is tougher than the DOT rating. Instead of concentrating on exterior penetration (as Snell does) the ECE standard is more heavily weighted towards the helmets ability to absorb impact and protect the brain. This is a much more important aspect to a MC rider.

2manycars
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I have owned so many helmets I lost track. I like a modular helmet and can not find one that fits comfortably,

The Shark Evoline is close-though it is a bit tight in the forehead-it is however the only one with enough room for my chin and a microphone. The thing also weighs a ton-and feels it after a long ride.

The N43 Nolan is OK-though the chin bar makes it too tight for a microphone, and though the sides fit, I always end up with a red mark on my forehead, that I am constantly adjusting it for ear comfort.

Here is a list of what I have tried-all modular

Nolan-N43, N102, N103
HJC- Sy Max
Nexx-X30
Vemar Jiano
Shark Evoline
Shoei Multitec
KBC-FFR

I think that covers them all. I have owned many of them, and tried on the rest.

The difficulty is that you need to mail order the helmet and do not know until it arrives how the fit will be. I even tried a helmet from England-they have so many nicer looking and better choices than the DOT ones. It was the wrong size, and by the time I paid for customs, and the return postage it cost me a fortune.

Virtually every dealer within driving/riding distance carries the Shoie or the HJC brand.

I need a helmet with a long front to back length. If the N43 had a larger chinbar-and I do not know why the chin bar comes in a one size fits all, or i would simply order a larger chin-bar.

I wear an XL as a rule and like the idea of an integral sunshield (flip down).

I welcome any and all suggestions regarding manufacturer and where to order.

As always thanks for everyones input.

rnet
04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
It is a bit difficult to put glasses on with a full face helmet (and impossible to put the helmet on with glasses in place). I just deal with it because the few seconds it takes me to put glasses on is well worth the many hours of reduced helmet weight on my head.
I can't get my glasses on right if I try to put them on after I put my helmet on. Can't get them on my ears right, so I put them on before the helmet and just roll it on. Bell full face helmet and been doing this for years.

The helmet absorbs impact by crushing. The stiffer/harder shell required by Snell inhibits this crushing action which transfers more force to the head/brain. The idea is to get maximim helmet sacrifice and minimum energy transferred to the head.
Makes sense but,As a general rule, DOT only helmets get the job done better than Snell rated helmets. With all the racing I've been involved in, if it's not Snell rated with'in the last 5 to 7 years, you are not racing.

Questions
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Guess I will be going over to San Angelo and Family Powersports and trying on helmets. I want to get one for the wife as well as she will be riding as passenger from time to time.

I am still leaning towards modular. I wear my sunglasses all the time and prescribed glasses at night, so I need a helmet that can accomodate this. Too bad they dont make a prescription face shield!

Trickie Dick
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I have owned so many helmets I lost track. I like a modular helmet and can not find one that fits comfortably,

The Shark Evoline is close-though it is a bit tight in the forehead-it is however the only one with enough room for my chin and a microphone. The thing also weighs a ton-and feels it after a long ride.

The N43 Nolan is OK-though the chin bar makes it too tight for a microphone, and though the sides fit, I always end up with a red mark on my forehead, that I am constantly adjusting it for ear comfort.

Here is a list of what I have tried-all modular

Nolan-N43, N102, N103
HJC- Sy Max
Nexx-X30
Vemar Jiano
Shark Evoline
Shoei Multitec
KBC-FFR

I think that covers them all. I have owned many of them, and tried on the rest.

The difficulty is that you need to mail order the helmet and do not know until it arrives how the fit will be. I even tried a helmet from England-they have so many nicer looking and better choices than the DOT ones. It was the wrong size, and by the time I paid for customs, and the return postage it cost me a fortune.

Virtually every dealer within driving/riding distance carries the Shoie or the HJC brand.

I need a helmet with a long front to back length. If the N43 had a larger chinbar-and I do not know why the chin bar comes in a one size fits all, or i would simply order a larger chin-bar.

I wear an XL as a rule and like the idea of an integral sunshield (flip down).

I welcome any and all suggestions regarding manufacturer and where to order.

As always thanks for everyones input.

I have the Shark Evoline as well. I don't particularly like it. Too heavy and not as comfortable as my Shark RSX. (very comfortable with good ventilation and a 5 star crash rating) However I do like the ventilation. There is a strip pad under the main pad in the forehead area that can be removed to give you more room in the forehead. IT does not affect the crash worthiness and it does make it more comfortable. FWIW.

Tripod
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9083/bladehelmet.jpg
This is the Blade Helmet.
I have found this to be a great compromise You can get them in several colors and dif. shields. I think Lamont has one. I have a batch of different helmets which I wear at different times of the year. ie. full face modular in the winter and shorty in the hot summer. And this in between.
Hope this helps.
By the way ----- Welcome Aboard!
Mike

I use the exact same AGV Blade, except I ordered a Smoke visor, and have found it to be extremely comfortable and a good value for all the features it has. I especially like the chin strap assembly...very cool.

Tripod :joke:

Oldmanzues
04-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I would suggest reading the Mil regs on helments, if you are still in. I use a modular most of the time. the ID check at the gate is a good point. I also think the modular is a good point if a LEO stops you. After they are next to ask if you can lift the chin bar. Then you are a person, not thing from outer space.

Old Man Zues

bone crusher
04-21-2010, 08:08 PM
How's the Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer? Anyone have this one?

Questions
04-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes, I am still active duty. Just a bit over 20 years...c'mon retirement!! I am going by the local HD dealer tomorrow and try on helmets.

BajaRon
04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
With all the racing I've been involved in, if it's not Snell rated with'in the last 5 to 7 years, you are not racing.

Snell and racing are like peas and carrots. They go hand in hand and support each other. Neither is ever going to go against the other.

Snell got their start making auto racing safer and they did a great job of it. However, auto and MC needs are not the same and Snell has not done as good a job addressing MC protection.

So far, Snell has spent more time trying to discredit the medical and mechanical evidence that strongly suggest their hard shell requirements are detrimental to MC riders.

You are exactly right. You will not be allowed to ride in any sanctioned event without a Snell rated helmet that is 5 years or less old.

But the pressure has been mounting as the evidence piles up. I think it is only a matter of time to where Snell will be forced to essentially adopt similar standards to the ECE (a much better standard for MC helmets required in Europe).

Sarge707
04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I use the exact same AGV Blade, except I ordered a Smoke visor, and have found it to be extremely comfortable and a good value for all the features it has. I especially like the chin strap assembly...very cool.

I just purchased this same Red and White (Be Seen) Helmet from Dennis Kirk for $73 after reading MANY reviews.

WJS
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I spent a little extra on my helmet since I only have one head, I figured it was a good investment. I went with a Shoei. I found a guy selling the one I wanted on eBay and he accepted best offers so I lucked out.

My only complaint is wind noise. I don't have experience with other motorcycle helmets prior to this one so I cant speak in relative terms if this one is quiet but after a long ride, the only part of my body that felt fatigued was my ear drums. Starting this season I've been wear ear plug (like the ones at Lowe's). What a difference, most notably on the highway. I avoided highways prior but now they don't bother me. I can still hear the navi prompts and my wife over the bluetooth headset which is important, especially the former... I mean latter. ;)

rcantrell52
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Jay,
I would like to thank you for your service to our country. My family appreciates the sacrifices you and your family make in serving our military. Our son-in-law is in the Navy on Coronado Island.
To answer your question about helmets, some of it is personal taste, fit. My wife and I have a Shoei RF1100 full face helmet and we both have to wear glasses full time. The Shoei has grooves along the sides to accommodate ear pieces of glasses. Also, we bought Fulmer M1 modular helmets to use with our RTS intercom system and radio. The RTS came with Can Am helmets and we transferred everything to the Fulmer helmet.

I cannot compare helmets currently due to lack of usage of the Fulmer.
Regards,
Reese

Lifeisadaydream
04-14-2011, 12:26 AM
I wear a Shoei RF1100 fullface. It has 4 forward vents and 2 rear vents, as long as your moving it is pretty cool. We have similar temps here in southern NM.

rcantrell52
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Jay,
Attached is a thread from Two Wheeled Texans www.twtex.com (http://www.twtex.com) discussing the HJC RPS10 helmet. The reviewer for this helmet is the owner of Motorcycles Unlimited in Houston.
Regards,
Reese

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55682

fred
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
i have been looking for a new helmet as well. Has anyone tried theses modular helmets ? Schuberth C3 & Shark Evoline
the Schuberth is advertized as the quietest helmet on the market

KipDM
04-15-2011, 02:06 AM
i have been looking for a new helmet as well. Has anyone tried theses modular helmets ? Schuberth C3 & Shark Evoline
the Schuberth is advertized as the quietest helmet on the market

i have a Shark Evoline series 2 and love it. i have chubby cheeks so it is tight on the front of my face but i feel when the chinbar is locked in place it is very solid. has good ventilation and good built-in anti-fogging. it is a large (thick-shelled) helmet though so it does look a bit odd sometimes. it passes DOT and the ECE standards which is nice (meaning if you visit Europe you won't have to buy a new helmet just to ride when there.) i have the moov-it paint scheme (distributor was out oft he paint scheme i wanted) and it is pretty nice and it glows in the dark.....

oldbaldguy
04-15-2011, 03:32 AM
I have had the Schuberth C3 for about 2 weeks. Very comfortable, and good airflow. The key for me will be the communication system. I finally got it set up with my garmin and phone, just haven't had time to try it out yet. The helmet is pretty quiet when faceplate is closed, similar to my old helmet (Arai RXQ)

ThreeWheels
04-15-2011, 03:49 AM
The only problem with modular helmets is they are so LOUD.
Same thing with those gizmos like internal sun-shields that have external mechanisms to operate them.
I wear a 3/4 helmet. Very comfortable in the summer. In the winter I wear a neck gaiter to stay warm.
My current is an HJC IS33. It's got vents and a device to operate the sun-visor. That's how I know about the noise. My previous was the HJC CL33. I switched because of the lure of the internal sun-shield, but I'm considering switching back because of the noise.
I don't think the vents really do much except add more noise.
In any event, make sure you wear earplugs. Riding at highway speeds can be deafening. Damage is cumulative so you may not be aware that you are hurting yourself until it's too late. Hearing protection, IMHO, is essential and it also adds to the overall comfort of the ride.

dltang
04-15-2011, 08:10 AM
The only problem with modular helmets is they are so LOUD.
Same thing with those gizmos like internal sun-shields that have external mechanisms to operate them.
I wear a 3/4 helmet. Very comfortable in the summer. In the winter I wear a neck gaiter to stay warm.
My current is an HJC IS33. It's got vents and a device to operate the sun-visor. That's how I know about the noise. My previous was the HJC CL33. I switched because of the lure of the internal sun-shield, but I'm considering switching back because of the noise.
I don't think the vents really do much except add more noise.
In any event, make sure you wear earplugs. Riding at highway speeds can be deafening. Damage is cumulative so you may not be aware that you are hurting yourself until it's too late. Hearing protection, IMHO, is essential and it also adds to the overall comfort of the ride.

I just bought the CL33 earlier this week and I really like it. It is quiet, more so than my full face HJC Carbon Fiber. It is very comfortable too.

KipDM
04-16-2011, 02:17 AM
the noise i get from my 2 helmets is still lower than the average volume i listen to music in my car so i don't worry bout it....

TRELL
04-16-2011, 06:07 PM
You need to try on many types and brands.once upon a time i drag race motorcycles. i have so many helmets from a$1,000 to $29.95 i have yet to find one i like. Theres to heavy or too hot,something is not right with any of them. You need to wear one for safety but it hard when the thing bugs you to death. Good luck with you search. THANK YOU for your service.

Marker
04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
I wear a full face helmet for all motorsports and always with a SNELL rating.

I like Shoei helmets as they are snell rated ,are light weight, great ventilation and keep out alot of noise.
Just my .02 woth

Firefly
04-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Good helmet reviews on:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

When you find one you like--- check it out there and see what they think.

I just got a NEXX XR1R Carbon fiber and I LOVE it.....Light, well made, sharp looking, functional... great great helmet.

bone crusher
04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Good helmet reviews on:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

When you find one you like--- check it out there and see what they think.

I just got a NEXX XR1R Carbon fiber and I LOVE it.....Light, well made, sharp looking, functional... great great helmet.

The NEXX looks and rates really well, but it doesn't have an internal sun shade, and I'm too pampered to get a helmet without one...

I have the HJC IS-16 Scratch...rates very highly and it's at a great price...sure, there are better, but I really like the shade...BTW, I like the yellow NEXX...not as light as the carbon, but still a nice looking helmet and since my bike is yellow...

Review for the IS-16 is below:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/is-16/

Sarge707
04-20-2011, 01:36 PM

I just got my RED blade and the quality and workmanship as well as the faceshield changing are superior!! I will use it on Hot Days a lot!!

Dragonrider
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Half w/visor - ear muffs when required, prefer none, just like my Z3…. In this case, it not like a motorcycle… and it's not an ATV on the dunes….

SteveMac
04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
My wife and I have two helmets each. One full face, one half cap.
The full face helmets are Oneal Tirades. I like them as they have bluetooth, fm, and intercom capabilities. I did order online and went with the fitting specs per Oneal. Each helmet will typically have their own fit chart. When measuring, I pulled the tape gently tight but not too snug on each of us. The helmets arrived and were perfect fit for both of us. Got the gloss black version and they are really good looking. We will use these on longer trips and or cooler weather. http://www.oneal.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_70&products_id=852

For short trips to the store or really hot days riding to work, we have our half caps, we got the AFX FX200 with the dual flip down visors. My recommendation is avoid the flip down shields on this helmet. The distortion is very noticable. I like the helmet otherwise and would recommend the same version without the flip downs. http://www.powersports360.com/eshopprod_cat_6900-57314-28282_product_1051034.AFX_FX-200_HELMET.htm?utm_source=VersaFeed&utm_medium=VersaFeed&utm_content=AFX+FX-200+Helmet&utm_campaign=base&v_traceback=c0330_2351_f0418_1258

Hope that helps. I was very apprehensive about ordering a helmet online, but I took a chance, used the manufacturers fit chart and all worked out well for me.

Best of luck!