PDA

View Full Version : Don't ride with me!

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 06:24 AM
OK, so now you really shouldn't ride anywhere near me since I still haven't gotten that wiggy wiggy play inthe steering fixed and while I was waiting for a day to drive it down to the dealer, I put a set of Kuryakyn grips on old PE#2929.

Yes, I have done this before.

Yes, of course I reread all the spyderlovers.com posts on installing new grips.

Yes, I read the install directions with the warnings about getting adhesive on the throttle side.

Now it turns freely, but due to the fact that the Kury grips are long, I used the spacer inside the grip to support the last 3/4 inch. The spacer lines up and abuts the end of the bar.

I figger thats what got a bit of adhesive on it, as now the throttle won't spring back. I can turn it back easily, but it won't spring back on it's own. Constant cruise control, without the, uh, "control."

So, steering wiggly, no automatic deceleration if I let go of the throttle...I wonder how my brakes are doing...

(Any suggestions--other than the obvious take it apart--would be appreciated. I was thinking of trying shooting some lithium grease--which might attract dust--or some grafite powder in the space between the grip/plastic sleeve and the bar...):helpsmilie:

tatt2r
04-19-2010, 06:45 AM
O boy.....

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 07:26 AM
O boy.....

Sure.

Thanks alot, Reverend.

This is really all your fault as I see it, since I saw your Kury grips last year--and you know I got them since I wanna be just like you.

Magic Man
04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Put down the tools and step away from the Spyder. :joke: :roflblack:

MM

Roger
04-19-2010, 07:59 AM
I installed mine the other day i must have done something wrong cause it works!!:roflblack::roflblack:

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Put down the tools and step away from the Spyder. :joke: :roflblack:

MM

Wha--tools...????

I was supposed to use tools? I just squirted three tubes of glue all over the garage like you told me to, Ev.

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 08:03 AM
I installed mine the other day i must have done something wrong cause it works!!:roflblack::roflblack:

Oh, yeah, man. You don't want it working--certainly not the way it was before the installation!

Anyhow, like I said. I now have cruise control.

Well...you know, "cruise" anyhow.

(I am gonna buy a Toyota decal and slap it on the fender.)

M2Wild
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Wha--tools...????

I was supposed to use tools? I just squirted three tubes of glue all over the garage like you told me to, Ev.

Wut?!? No duck tapes?:roflblack:

BajaRon
04-19-2010, 01:18 PM
(I am gonna buy a Toyota decal and slap it on the fender.)

I think Toyota is giving the stickers away these days!

Or you could try a "Fly the friendly skys of Russian Airlines" sticker. :yikes:

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Wut?!? No duck tapes?:roflblack:

The ducks' bills are all glued together. They flew south, honking through closed mouths...

Regarding tape...now that I think about it--did I put the barber pole of electrical tape on the left side or the throttle side...?

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Toyota is giving the stickers away these days!

Or you could try a "Fly the friendly skys of Russian Airlines" sticker. :yikes:

Thanks, Ron. Since my BRP dealer won't be able to give me an appointment this week, I guess I will just drive the Spyder the way it is right up to a Toyota dealership.

(Do you think they charge $ for installing the sticker?) :dontknow:

ataDude
04-19-2010, 06:08 PM
The ducks' bills are all glued together. They flew south, honking through closed mouths...

Regarding tape...now that I think about it--did I put the barber pole of electrical tape on the left side or the throttle side...?

http://www.galleryone.com/images/bullas/bullas%20-%20duck%20tape.jpg

BajaRon
04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Ron. Since my BRP dealer won't be able to give me an appointment this week, I guess I will just drive the Spyder the way it is right up to a Toyota dealership.

(Do you think they charge $ for installing the sticker?) :dontknow:

No, they won't charge you for the install but you can plan on having to go back in a few weeks when they recall it! :roflblack:

krb1945
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
spray something in there... use a little WD40, liquid wrench or LPS. This should loosen the sticky without collecting a bunch of dirt.

HDXBONES is right sometimes you need to pull the inner flange of the grip back just a smidge so the spring can return it to idle. /Ken

jedd
04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Our throttles are supposed to return to idle on their own:hun:I must have a smidgen of glue on mine :dontknow::crackpipe:thinkin of things to "Squirt" on it :roflblack::cus::roflblack::cus::roflblack:

Best wishes dude :thumbup:

I think you made this thread as part of a defense case for a speedin' ticket?

GENIUS IDEA
Let us know how it works outwelcome:bowdown:

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Our throttles are supposed to return to idle on their own:hun:I must have a smidgen of glue on mine :dontknow::crackpipe:thinkin of things to "Squirt" on it :roflblack::cus::roflblack::cus::roflblack:

Best wishes dude :thumbup:

I think you made this thread as part of a defense case for a speedin' ticket?

GENIUS IDEA
Let us know how it works outwelcome:bowdown:

Well I am always glad to help the members of this forum...Results may vary.:doorag:

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't have any Kury grips, do you still use the bar end cover? Sometimes you need to pull it out of the bar a smidge before you tighten it, so it doesn't interfere with the rotating grip...

If the Kury grip covers the handlebar end, maybe you can pull it back off the throttle sleeve just a little so that it can't pinch your spacer against the handlebar end......:doorag:

...Thanks, HDX.

I am goin' to get a bigger hammer and pry bar now.

jeuchler
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
spray something in there... use a little WD40, liquid wrench or LPS. This should loosen the sticky without collecting a bunch of dirt.

HDXBONES is right sometimes you need to pull the inner flange of the grip back just a smidge so the spring can return it to idle. /Ken

Thanks, Ken.

I am going to get a bigger can of WD-40 now.

Might have to try WD-50 or 51.

jeuchler
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
OK, I think you can ride with me again.

When HDX said "bar end cover" I didn't know what he was talking about, as I had had to remove my BRP "Y" bar end caps, and the Kurakyn grips were one piece.

Or not.

So, I guess I need glasses for close up, 'cause there were microscopic nano-screws holding the end caps onto the Kury grips, and I couldn't even see a seam that would've indicated they were more than one piece. Of course, you wouldn't want to manufacture these in one piece (duh) I say now.

I also removed a lingering rubber O-ring washer which was left behind after I removed the BRP endcaps. That might'a gotten in the way of the sleeve turning a bit, too.

Anyhow, to make a short story unbearably long, I switched from lithium grease to WD-40 since it could run rather than cling, and sprayed up everything after taking the housing apart as well and readjusting the angle so the return cable could do a better job of pulling the throttle back.

It works much more betterer now. I was getting tired of reaching around with my left and decelerating with two hands.:roflblack:

Thanks again for the encouragement. I think I just needed to step away from it for a while, as Ev said.

Test drive now.

jedd
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh great that would have most worserest if it wouldn't return tis more better when it idles good day..:ohyea:

jeuchler
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Oh great that would have most worserest if it wouldn't return tis more better when it idles good day..:ohyea:

Drove it to work and back twice today and it's now the most bestest.

1. Vibrations + Use = lube got all around inside to make for a nice, loosey goosey throttle

2. These were also the first long rides I had with the BRP comfort seat AND the Kury grips.

I know many have written about replacement grips and seats, but here're my two cents, marked down for inflation:

What is interesting is that I did NOT notice the new seat. Much, much better than the original, or the original with the BRP "custom skin" over it. Anyone with a stock seat knows you are fully aware of the seat alot of the time riding.

I also felt more upright and nicely supported on the lower back, which I liked. It's not fall-asleep-in-your-easy-chair kind of support, but I think this is the most comfortable I have felt on a motorcycle since 1979. (Now I don't mean to contradict Scotty here who says the RT seat is the nicest he's ridden on--I have never ridden an RT, so I have yet to experience that...particular...seat pleasure.)

The Kuryakyn grips were noticeably more comfortable due to their larger circumference, somewhat gushy padding, and vibration dampening effect.

(I still had a cut of 2/3 length of the BRP bar weights inside each bar end as well, so the buzzing was greatly lessened.)

I've had the Spyder for over two years now, and these modifications came long after many other ones, but they are very much appreciated and highly recommended. :thumbup:

(End soapbox.)

dltang
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Drove it to work and back twice today and it's now the most bestest.

1. Vibrations + Use = lube got all around inside to make for a nice, loosey goosey throttle

2. These were also the first long rides I had with the BRP comfort seat AND the Kury grips.

I know many have written about replacement grips and seats, but here're my two cents, marked down for inflation:

What is interesting is that I did NOT notice the new seat. Much, much better than the original, or the original with the BRP "custom skin" over it. Anyone with a stock seat knows you are fully aware of the seat alot of the time riding.

I also felt more upright and nicely supported on the lower back, which I liked. It's not fall-asleep-in-your-easy-chair kind of support, but I think this is the most comfortable I have felt on a motorcycle since 1979. (Now I don't mean to contradict Scotty here who says the RT seat is the nicest he's ridden on--I have never ridden an RT, so I have yet to experience that...particular...seat pleasure.)

The Kuryakyn grips were noticeably more comfortable due to their larger circumference, somewhat gushy padding, and vibration dampening effect.

(I still had a cut of 2/3 length of the BRP bar weights inside each bar end as well, so the buzzing was greatly lessened.)

I've had the Spyder for over two years now, and these modifications came long after many other ones, but they are very much appreciated and highly recommended. :thumbup:

(End soapbox.)
Glad you seem to be smiling again. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
04-20-2010, 09:44 PM
(Now I don't mean to contradict Scotty here who says the RT seat is the nicest he's ridden on--I have never ridden an RT, so I have yet to experience that...particular...seat pleasure.)
Don't worry about me! Prior to the RT I thought the stock Spyder seat was the best ever. That shows how contrary my backside really is. Nancy loves the comfort seat, but it gives me a pain. Your results may vary.

Now, about the loosy-goosy steering???

jeuchler
04-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Glad you seem to be smiling again. :2thumbs:

Oh yeah...:D

Of course, I am still waiting to have the steering play checked/repaired, but I never drove in a straight line anyhow--you know that, Deb!:roflblack:

jeuchler
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Don't worry about me! Prior to the RT I thought the stock Spyder seat was the best ever. That shows how contrary my backside really is.

Nancy loves the comfort seat,

Oh, good.

Barb hasn't been on it yet; I will now be able to say "Nancy loves it, so you should, too!"

...but it gives me a pain. Your results may vary.

Huh. Maybe you need new pants? :roflblack:

Now, about the loosy-goosy steering???

Dealer is swamped this week, so I'm bringing it in next week. To be honest, any possibility of a long run like to Chicago this June is absolutely out of the question until I get that play in the steering taken care of. :gaah: I have a new wrap coming from Canada so I can occupy myself with that for a while...

NancysToy
04-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Huh. Maybe you need new pants? :roflblack:
Maybe I need to rent a butt, so I have some padding of my own. :roflblack:

jeuchler
04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe I need to rent a butt, so I have some padding of my own. :roflblack:

Maybe we are just doing it wrong.

The first time I went horse back riding with my :shemademe_smilie: lovely bride (who ran an equestrian club) she said I should be standing in the stirrups more, not sitting and bouncing all over like a loosely tied bundle of laundry...You have to admit, there's not much padding in THOSE saddles, yet somehow people ride them four legged horse-powered critters with less whining than I do riding the Spyder.

NancysToy
04-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Maybe we are just doing it wrong.

The first time I went horse back riding with my :shemademe_smilie: lovely bride (who ran an equestrian club) she said I should be standing in the stirrups more, not sitting and bouncing all over like a loosely tied bundle of laundry...You have to admit, there's not much padding in THOSE saddles, yet somehow people ride them four legged horse-powered critters with less whining than I do riding the Spyder.
If I have to "post" while I am riding a cycle, I'm gonna need more help than just this new knee and a few exercises. This is gonna hurt! :yikes:

jeuchler
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
If I have to "post" while I am riding a cycle, I'm gonna need more help than just this new knee and a few exercises. This is gonna hurt! :yikes:

Oh, yeah--"posting"--that's what it's called!

(570 views for this silly thread...) :roflblack:

jedd
04-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh, yeah--"posting"--that's what it's called!

(570 views for this silly thread...) :roflblack:
Most besterest thread to reply too :roflblack::roflblack:

BajaRon
04-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Maybe he meant "POSE" not post? :ohyea: